• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Music to listen to while studying --- What do you listen to?

bbx4

Bluelighter
I like to listen to music when I study, but I find music with lyrics to be distracting so I tend to listen to psy-trance but sometimes that can get a little intense if I'm just relaxing and going over notes. I will listen to Shpongle and Prometheus quiet a bit, sometimes Ott if I'm in the mood.

What do you listen to while studying? Feel free to list recommendations.

When I was a student, it was usually electronic on the ambient side or classical.

Classical - favorites: Chopin, Berlioz, Richard Wagner (basically Romantics)
Ambient - favorites: Brian Eno, Phillip Glass
Rock - favorites: Blonde Redhead, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Ros

If you're me, converge, venetian snares, autechre, etc. :D
Just the same stuff I usually listen to.

ebola

Galaxie Chill Out

Basically ambient and downtempo. It's one of the only things I'll miss when I get rid of cable.

I agree that lyrics are distracting. I like to listen to stuff with nice textures, song structures that are more like classical than rock music, and stuff that doesn't have peaks that are too extreme.

So it's usually stuff like Sigur Ros (except Takk), Miles Davis style jazz, etc. These are the only things that keep me sane whilst marking assignments.

studying and music i can't do it... i gotta get in the zone and jusut be in a quiet enviro... but bassnectar is okay lol.

i usually just put my collection on shuffle and keep the volume lower than usual.

Psytrance, I find, is hands down the best music for getting into a state of mind conducive to encoding memories. It's the only music that is guaranteed to put me in a good headspace to learn, no matter what I'm feeling like before that.

If I need a stimulating or riveting sort of motivation, liquid drum n' bass, uplifting trance, and house work well. If I need to get into a more soothed state to study, jazz and downtempo will do it. There have been times when all of these kinds of music have hampered my study, though.

I can't listen to anything lyrical when I'm studying. No radio stations with a yacking DJs or annoying wordy ads. No verbose singer-songwriters -- I think the Counting Crows are about the last artist I would possibly want to put on. I just need instrumentals and frequencies of sound that get my brain waves flowing in the right pattern.

I want to hear was surgeons listen to while working. I always find that stuff interesting.

Jazz - John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington, John Zorn.

Classical - Gustav Mahler, Béla Bartók, Igor Stravinsky, Franz Lizst.

IDM is also good, Boards of Canada helps me concentrate on what I'm studying.

I want to hear was surgeons listen to while working. I always find that stuff interesting.

Hehe. I stereotypically think of surgeons as listening to top 40 pop from their youth. I think there's some truth to this -- the time, effort, and singlemindedness needed to become a surgeon doesn't leave much time for plumbing the depths of the human musical tradition. Just gimmie something comforting, familiar, and easily available that'll make me feel good. (What's the movie where those surgeons are working on the main character, and praising Madonna's 'Borderline'?)

Surgery doesn't interest me much, simply because I'm too much of a jack of all trades at heart. I can't muster that kind of singleminded focus, even for that much money.

To my knowledge, I am one of only three students in my med school class with any interest in electronic music. (One other LOVES industrial, another likes house). Mainstream stuff is pretty big among my classmates, and among those who aren't into that, I hear a lot of interest in bluegrass, country, metal, and classic rock.

I like to listen to electronica while studying. Something at the right tempo is good. Not so laid back that I want to fall alseep, but not so upbeat that I want to get up and dance.

2 artists that I find really, really good to do school work to are:
Kraftwerk
Ratatat

Both of these groups make electronic music that is entertaining, yet it plods along and is not particularly emotional, which is perfect for school work.

Most of the James Zabiela 4 series are great.
Sasha - Invol2ver
Digweed - Transitions series
Boards of Canada

Some cracking choices here, going to scout out a few of these suggestions... I definitely prefer the more downtempo electronic music, but not too ambient...

Spoonbill
Ulrich Schnauss
Bargrooves - Music for Late Night People
Fat Freddys Drop
Sounds from the Ground
Kuba

Hmm, I listen to mudvayne and when I was in culinary school, I listened to alot of massive attack