The Official Beginners DJing Thread

review.master

Greenlighter
**This is now the official beginners DJing thread. This thread is for all those with questions on basic DJing topics, such as setting up, what equipment to buy, where to start, etc. This thread is also for old schoolers, or those just with general knowledge to share insight to the n00bs :) -Thizzer/Levictus**

Some Useful/Interesting Threads:
Cyc's Tutorial on Recording Your Demo with Soundforge - Very in-depth guide, a little outdated however.
Smack My Bitch Up Deconstructed - Cool video that looks into the sample used in The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up"

And he emerges from the lurker mist! About time I started posting ...

Firstly I'd just like to say that this forum is an incredible resource, full of great open (like) minded people, I love it and want to thank everyone here.

I'm in love with the ability of electronic dance music to get people vibing, on the same wavelength, united, and have felt my interests in music shifting over to the electronic rather than acoustic these past few years. Underground parties and raving (not to mention certain "vitamins") have changed my attitudes, preferences and tastes. I have a good music collection of what I'd consider to be banging tunes (mainly in digital format these days) and am always searching for the next tune to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I want to share this with a crowd; I want to DJ. The only problem is I don't know exactly where to begin. There seem to be a lot of DJing systems out there (vinyl, cd decks, traktor etc), so I want to make sure I invest in the right thing to get me started, and keep me going for a while. Also, once confident in mixing with a decent set put together, what's the best way to go about approaching venues / parties to play?

It's probably worth mentioning that by profession I'm a musician (drummer) and spend a lot of my spare time working on my own tunes / recording artists and bands at my little home studio, so I'm not a newbie to the theory and technology behind DJing and playing out live. I also have access to a fairly decent pair of decks and mixer (this isn't much use though as my collection is digital, I'm thinking maybe the Traktor Scratch pro with sound interface and laptop would be a good way to go?) So to all the DJ's on here, I'd like to hear about how you started, and with what system / how you're playing the game these days.

Any advice, especially that from experience would be really appreciated.
Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started using a cd mixer, I have a gemini cdm 3600 which is an all in one package. its not professional at all and one would get laughed at if you showed up to a club with it(i can cradle it in one arm, and thats the whole system) but its gotten me to understand that I can actually do this, and would love to get a full system once i get the money. Thats the main thing, knowing its what you want to do because the true equipment is EXPENSIVE.

also, if youre looking for money, promoters are shady, get that in your head now. looks like youve been in the music business already, i was in hip hop and rock bands before this, and it was all the same shit when it came to money. promises promises promises. doctors get paid before they operate, and you should before you play too, obviously at first you just want to get out there, but its important to get what you ask for.

So what i suggest doing is getting a cd mixer, because that way you have a physical object your interacting with, computers are awesome for mixing but i feel its to "easy mode" you dont get a feel for the timing of pressing buttons(or moving a record) to get it perfectly on time with the music. Also cds are disposable, a pack of 100 cd-rs cost $20 and a itunes song is 99 cents, thats so win. you pay 10 bucks in songs and you can have a 20 minute mix ready to go.

luckily for you, being a drummer, you know ALL about timing, and thats all it is. good luck :)

1) Make a load of boring tracks that all sound the same (or, better still, get some faceless engineer to do this for you for a small fee)

2) Buy a fancy-looking control surface (this should set you back no more than $1000)

3) Play 'live' sets that involve pressing the play button, and twiddle the knobs/sliders to make it look like you know what you're doing

4) Wear novelty mouse-ears, and jump up and down with your hands in the air

(Disclaimer: Sorry, just couldn't resist :) )

^ i lol'd

Before you go out and buy any equipment id get a few music software programs to mess around with so you can at least get a few basics down.

Although its not the best product, and once you really start DJing you're going to want to move onto something better (like Ableton or Reason), I suggest checking out Virtual DJ. Its an easy way to learn a few basics if you don't really know much about the art of DJing.

TS pro is the bomb. the only issue is that I am getting fucking sick of having to anally rape the DJ on before me while I set it up. It's awesome if you can get it all wired before the gig, or if the club has it built it (GASP/jizzgasm).

I was about to start a similar thread, but I think I'll hijack this one. :)

I've been playing with Traktor Scratch for a while without any hardware (except a Korg nanoKontrol, which I've been using to control the effects a little). I want to be able to do all the normal DJ-type things, but I only need to play stuff from my computer. Should I go with timecoded vinyl + turntables and a hardware mixer, or should I just get a MIDI control surface with jog wheels? I'd like to be able to learn all the beatmatching/mixing stuff, so if vinyl's better for that, then so be it. Also, are there mixers that include an amplifier, or is it better to get them separately?

Specific hardware recommendations would be great, too -- I'm going more for amateur/bare minimum for functionality, rather than pro equipment.

Thanks!

**OP I hope you dont mind but i changed the title of your thread so everyone can just post there questions and info here.**

i have been using virtual DJ and i am now decent at mixing songs but i dont get how to like completely remix a song like change the beat and stuff..do u need more programs or what?

i have been using virtual DJ and i am now decent at mixing songs but i dont get how to like completely remix a song like change the beat and stuff..do u need more programs or what?

you'd need a program like logic or cubase and preferably the original files of that song for that. that's usually the realm of the producer, not the dj...

What brands are good brands, i want good quality stuff, and i am willing to spend good money for it, but i dont want the best stuff out there, just middle class. Im looking to get 2 Cdjs and mixers. Is that a good place to start off?

What was your guys first equipment when you started?

also, i use the program fruity loops, the program already has a lot of stuff on it, like the mixer, if im playing at a party, would it be better to buy an actual mixer, or can i use the mixer of FL and spend the money on other equipment>?

Good begginer program?

Hello. I want to pick up an art hobby, such as making music. My friend has the garage bands program on his apple and i thought it was cool making beats and stuff. I was curious what you guys would suggest as a good beginer program for someone who wants to be able to make edm music? Maybe a good teacher also! thank you :)<3

You didn't specify your OS but if you're on Windows I would suggest Fruity loops. It has a easy interface and with a day or two of learning you can be on your way. Since its also a fairly used program, there's some youtube how-to videos too.

There are a few others.... I forgot them lol.

Start with Pro Tools.
Just kidding.
I don't do much deejaying but am tinkering a fair bit with home recording and edm production. I know alot of people use Fruity Loops b/c it's pretty popular. I found Cakewalk Music Creator to be even more user-friendly for the beginner. It has an interface similar to most music production software with all the different views for mixing, editing, loop construction, and the piano roll for beat matching. When I first started I just used that with two VST softsynth plug-ins that came with it. I ran Windows XP Pro w/ only 2G RAM and a stock SigmaTel Sound card and got some decent results. The nice thing was that Music Creator gave me a good idea about what type of s'ware interface to expect w/ more advanced music production programs. It also helped me build some confidence that "I can understand this technology."

Once I got a grasp on that I started looking at putting together some kit. The first component is the audio interface. Choosing a good one takes some consideration b/c the purchase will be a commitment until you decide to upgrade again. Here is a great bit of advice and info on understanding and choosing soundcards. While learning about soundcards you'll probably also learn a lot about how the electronics interconnect and what triggers what ... For me, that was one of the most exciting parts. It really helped to read zines like FutureMusic or XLR8R and watching youtube vids of producers explaining their gear. Here are some good ones:
Simian Mobile Disco Gear Walkthrough
Eliott Lipp in the Studio
Tom Cosm Introducing Ableton Live

Some people stuff racks full of h'ware effects and synths but I'm still keeping it basic so can't offer much advice about those. My next purchase is going to be some type of MIDI controller(s). I know Akai and Korg make pretty good gear. I want a keyboard + 4x4 pads and want it to be small enough to be easily portable. I also want an outboard digi effects processor or several pedals. I was also advised to invest in a Macbook as Windows isn't good for music making. I haven't found this to be the case but I'm also not a pro so I don't know. I still haven't bought a Macbook.

shout to all the newbies!

for midi controller check-out the korg nano series - cheap, compact, functional. and the new novation launchpad - for ableton live.

also i recomend you learn to truly beatmatch, way more interesting than letting a machine do it for you.

not sure how u can call yourself a dj if you cant beat match.

anyways for a beginner dj you need:

2 turntables (vinyl or cd doesnt matter)
1 mixer
headphones
music

turn the equipment on and play around

so someone who knows how to beatmatch but has never gotten a gig is a dj, and someone who plays out on traktor every weekend is not a dj?

hmm...

anyways for a beginner dj you need:

2 turntables: Technics 1200s (fixed, Trust Us They are a Return Investment)
1 mixer
headphones, don't go cheap
music, old vinyl that digital DJs are slogging away their collections for cheap.

turn the equipment on and play around

THIS.

Buy two copies of your favorite record and match kicks. Fiddle with the pitch and rematch the kicks and or beats so they blend, ie the same bpm. Do this with several different records of the same style and bpm. Understand the process in your sleep.

Proceed to buying Serato and/or Scratch Live/Ableton whatever to toss onto those Technics. /END

btw I have 2 Denon S1000s, will toss in an a set of headphones DN-HP1000 bo + shipping (joking). Thats why those Technics are ROI. I'm using Traktor Pro so I'm quite the hypocrite to the above.

Last edited: