Opinions Needed - Splitting Opiate Discussion Off From OD Into A New Forum

Would you like to see opiate discussion split off from OD and into it's own forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Opium products (pain killers, heroin, etc.) are a very common discussion, realy, from what I've seen, its most of the discussion in OD, so yes I think it has a right to be split into a specialized sub-section of its own.

I say leave it but everything eventually evolves...

Sooner or later 'opiate discussion' will be split into opiate subforms, heroin, oxycodone, methadone, buprenorphine, etc. There are already ALOT of different forums on this site I suppose one more wont hurt or help.

Shrug.

Peace,
Seedless

I voted NO

Last edited:
If you split up the forums then the other drugs forum will become neglected by the opiate users as they will only read the opiate forum, this can be seen as a disadvantage. However you could argue the same about every section on this forum, I am missing out on the weed and the ecstasy discussion as I read OD mainly and Im sure theres threads there that I could could add valuable discussion to, I just don't see them.

I think it would be a good idea to split them, Im sure most OD users would read both forums anyway. A majority of users on this website would read more than ONE section on this forum.

For example I read OD, Aus DD and basic/advanced, so adding one more is no big deal.

Whether users have the ability to set prefixes has to be discussed more. When we first discussed prefixes, quite a bit before the OD/ODD split discussion we're having now, we initially went along with the idea that they would be mod assigned, at least for a bit of time right after implementation.

the only issue with this is that OD is a high-traffic forum, and having it to where moderators set prefixes would turn whats already a lot of work into even more, and possibly it would be the same as if new threads had to be approved by moderators (to set the prefix), which would drastically slow down the forum. the idea of having new threads require moderator approval was tossed around a few times years ago, to increase the quality of threads and get rid of all reposts and questions that could easily be answered by utfse, but it was always deemed more trouble and work than it was worth.

OD is fine they way it is but if I am in the minority on that opinion than the answer is not to split OD but to add more moderators, or create Jr. Mod. position that would give Jr. Mods the ability to move post to DB and whatever else is necessary but nothing more (I don't see why they would need a new title although I think for a title is a good idea because it would lighten the workload of upper level mods). There could be strict rules on if/what they could handle and what they must relay and to whom. Basically the position would filter out a lot of noise. Or the current mods could be more trigger happy

the mods definitely need to be more 'trigger happy' to increase the quality of the forum. except its sometimes difficult to do this while staying "nice." staying respectful is easy, but the current od crew seems to be waaay too nice. but really, that has nothing to do with whether or not the forum needs to be split...
i'm actually kind of shocked that there's 5 active moderators for OD; 4 was always plenty, and we even got by at times with 3, so with how things are now, there are more than enough moderators.

however if more people were needed to help out, especially in the event that moderators have to set prefixes, perhaps the "Bluelight Crew", particularly former OD mods, could volunteer to do this and to help in any way they can.

one last thing: perhaps there should be a poll to find out, if OD is split, how many people will only visit one of the two new forums, instead of both. i'm not the only person who thinks that a lot of knowledgeable people will only visit one or the other, but when i brought this up, i was quickly told "there's no proof of that [so stfu and stop speaking for anyone but yourself]." since neither side of this specific point has any hard data, i believe a poll would be useful to further establishing the pros/cons of a split

i do realize it might be pointless to post this here, because the issue will be brought up and discussed in Support, but its easier to just get my thoughts/suggestions out here, now, and then repost them in the new thread once it is created in Support... or if this one just gets sent there then i've already got it posted...

Last edited:
the only issue with this is that OD is a high-traffic forum, and having it to where moderators set prefixes would turn whats already a lot of work into even more, and possibly it would be the same as if new threads had to be approved by moderators (to set the prefix), which would drastically slow down the forum. the idea of having new threads require moderator approval was tossed around a few times years ago, to increase the quality of threads and get rid of all reposts and questions that could easily be answered by utfse, but it was always deemed more trouble and work than it was worth.
Yes, that's the drawback. But mods are supposed to be checking out all of the threads to begin with, especially if they get a lot of views/replies. So it shouldn't be that much more work.
The only concern about users setting their own prefix is whether one is required to start a new thread and whether they'd choose the right one. Of course we could just ask users to report threads that should have prefixes or that have the wrong one.
Like I said though, it needs to be discussed more. For what it's worth, I'm now leaning towards allowing users to set their own prefix. We could always change it if it doesn't work out.

---> Support

We'll leave it here for a week or so for more discussion. Then we'll decide.

What stuns you about them?

I'm personally a bit surprised more people aren't voting no; I actually thought it was really cool that blue light set up OD the way it is now.

I'm just surprised "yes" got so many more votes is all.(The difference is even greater since I first posted)
I like the way OD is set up now too. A new forum also means new staff to recruit.

Opioid users and ex-users very well may be the most knowledgeable people on OD but

The main issue, imo, is what will happen to the non-opiate forum, specifically with post/thread quality. It's no secret that a lot of us are only interested in opiates. And it could be argued that the most knowledgeable users are those just interested in opiates. So what happens to the non-opiate forum all those people stop browsing? Of course you could argue that those people already only click on opiate threads to begin with... But personally I don't buy that. Non-opiate threads are bound to catch your eye -with their title, # of replies, # of views, the thread starter, or the last person to reply. So you may come here for opiates, but chances are you'll drop by a few other threads. And by doing that you'll either learn something, or hopefully you'll post and help someone else out.

Speaking just for myself, I know I wouldn't have learned as much as I did about non-opiates if there was dedicated opiate forum here.

Also, the issue of how that forum will be staffed comes up, but that will be discussed out of public if this goes through.

I have studied, used, and abused opioids for 10 out of they 26 years, to this day I do not understand how I am still alive. I recently kicked methadone and have basically no tolerance. I do occasionally take Vicodin (1/2 a pill or 1) for pain. So I am pretty knowledgeable on opiates/opioids. However...

An opioid only forum would bore the hell out of me. I am sure that I would enjoy some of the threads but why even bother? The majority of the threads would just be déjà vu all over again. I think many other people with extensive knowledge and experience with opioids feel the same way.

Also I have seen it suggest to split OD into a stimulant forum and a depressant forum but consider how confusing that would be. Some drugs have both properties and there are CNS active opioids that are stimulants.

I think that the vast scope of opiates in general make a good case for splitting Opiates into their own category.

Let's face it, some people want to read about : insert drug here :. With the way OD is set-up now, you can go for pages (or search!) before you find useful, relevant information.

I think that splitting out Opiates will make it easier to focus the necessary harm reduction to the appropriate (ab)users.

Im pro split. I only take opiates, i only post in opiate related threads, i only have knowledge and words of wisdom to impart to opiate users. Its ridiculous that ecstasy and marijuana have their own forums, but opiates, which are one of the most widely used substances, are crowded in with stimulants and all kinds of random shit.

I hate having to scroll through dozens of threads that are useless to me, and that I have nothing positive to add to as well. I would defintely contribute more if it were easier to find opiate related threads, since thats the only thing that interests me.

Split them.

the only forum i come to is other drugs because all i care about is opiates. while looking for opiate threads i see shit about crack and meth and valium. what the fuck? fuck that. make an opiate section plz :)

there are already other websites with forums based entirely on opiates...

keep it the same

I did a lil' math.

Out of all the threads that are about drugs (closed or open) that have not been moved, on the front page of OD, as of a couple minutes ago when I counted them.

48% are about opiates or have opiates as a focus. (including two "mega threads")

52% are about all other drugs.

Split? I think so.

Course that doesn't count traffic in an EXTREMELY reliable way, just an idea.

EDIT: Also, people keep saying that splitting the forum would take users away from each. I don't really think this would be drastic in any way. I have found myself browsing the farking steroids forum before, and I have never taken steroids nor do I have any intention to.

I voted to keep it the same.

I don't mean to discount or devalue newer members or anything, but I'd be interested to see the results of the poll weighted with post counts or membership date or something like that.

This isnt true for everyone of course, but I think that the more time you spend in OD, the less you will want it split up. My drugs of choice are opioids and I know the most about them, but I help out with many other topics that come up as well, and its nice to have them all grouped together. I know that for me, it will be harder to contribute when things are split up and two seperate forums have to be opened and monitored and whatnot.

I voted for Split it - but in a different way (explain in post)

I think if OD were split off it should be split like how N&SAE is split. You would open up OD and have the choice to go into either Opiate Discussion, or "Others" discussion.

Split it up. All the Meth heads will ensure the original forum keeps moving.

I voted for Split it - but in a different way (explain in post)

I think if OD were split off it should be split like how N&SAE is split. You would open up OD and have the choice to go into either Opiate Discussion, or "Others" discussion.

Sounds great to me, as long as some split is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.