• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP PhreeX

Oh wow! I remember coming on here and reading posts by Phreex when he was alive. just found this thread while looking for another old member who seems to also have left.
R.I.P.

I just found out about this. I didn't know him but his stories and adventures made an impression on me...I still remember his stories of making X. Truly a gifted writer.
RIP.

Heard about this from a friend i know off of bluelight & thought i'd pay my respects :(

I used to just read the threads before i became a member recently, and unfortunately i only heard of this now also. Reading your posts made me tear up. Rest in Peace Dave. I know that where ever you are, your free.

The AOL Email account I set up in David's name has froze me out until I can change it to my name for access. So I can't get your emails on AOL, but I will check Bluelight again now. I thank all of your for your kind words and for remembering and being a friend to my David. May you have a happy holiday, whatever and however you celebrate. Be safe. Love yourself. Be good to yourself and others. Peace. Here is his Virtual Memorial if you would like to know more about his life. http://www.virtual-memorials.com/main.php?action=view&mem_id=21505&page_no=4 This is his Facebook Memorial Account, https://www.facebook.com/davidv.laniermemorial and this is his Facebook Group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/157433221000743/?bookmark_t=group

Merry Christmas to you as well. He will never be forgotten.

I am Phreex (David's) Mother. This is my response to a question regarding Narcan saving lives....
" Where to begin regarding my David here in Florida. In 2003 David accidentally overdosed on his prescription fentanyl patches when he woke up confused during the night. At least that is what it looked like. I was at work the next day, called home to check on David. I had to call twice to 'force' my husband to take action. Finally, evidently he broke into David's room, found him unresponsive, called 911. The EMTs did give David Narcan. My husband and his mother tried to reach me at work via phone. My boss, Lee McNealy, at Convergys in Lake Mary, FL DID NOT bother to give me the message that my son was on life support at the ER. I called my mother in law to learn the news. I drove 100 miles an hour on the shoulder of I-4 to get to the ER. When I arrived my husband said they were 'waiting for me' before removing David from life support !!! The nurse said the black, necrotic tissue in the suction container was 'what he (David) had done to himself'. I had a sh*t fit and told them to save him, to do something. They then said, "I guess we will admit him", and gave him Narcan, restarted IV's, took him to ICU. Everyone wanted me to take him off of life support, except my daughter. Several days later the lawyer David worked for came strutting down the hall with two large male associates and told the doctors to 'treat David more aggressively' to save him. David's friends called everyone they knew. One friend came clear from Cocoa, FL late one night, and oddly David 'woke up' early that morning. He failed extubation later, the hospital called me so I could be there 'in case something happened'. I immediately told them to do an emergency tracheotomy. The doctor hesitated saying, "you want us to do a trach"? DUH, that is what you do, I had learned as a nurses aide in the VA hospital. David lived. They did surgery to place a stomach feeding tube, but they did not sedate him enough considering his medication tolerance....he was 'awake' during the surgery and told me and the doctor all of the conversation in the operating room !!!! He was afraid of this and we told the doctor prior to surgery. They waited until I was gone before taking David to surgery !! Narcan saved David this time and he lived 6 more years, though now disabled due to a week long coma, stroke, heart attack, seizures, etc. In 2009 David overdosed twice within a month and the EMTs and hospital gave him Narcan and saved him quickly, he was home within a day or two. The second of these OD's was because the Volusia County Sheriff forced me to turn over a month's supply of Fentynal to David and his 'girlfriend' even though David and his doctor had agreed I should keep and administer the patches, as David was weak and was being robbed, abused, beaten up and manipulated by his girlfriend and others at his apartment. State Adult protective services would NOT help me, they dismissed me saying I just wanted to control David's patches, selling them, keeping his money,...as if... !!!!! That was the influences on David from others, including my sick husband. So, the 'girlfriend' moved out of state, David had been without his Fentynal for a week or so due to doctors appointment date and girl friends selling his medications. On August 27, 2009 I took him to his previously scheduled appointment, got his medications, finished celebrating his 30th birthday. He took his medication and went to bed. I checked his vitals, as he always did that himself after getting his meds. refilled each month and after taking them. He was fine, finally sleeping after days of pain and wakefulness. Five or ten minutes later I checked on him and he was gasping. We called 911, EMT's arrived in 7 minutes. My sick husband detained them in the front of the house, telling them David was an 'addict' and had OD'd twice the month before. I was screaming for help with David in the back bedroom. No one came to us for 5 minutes. They continued talking to my husband. They finally came back, moved David to the floor in the entry way. I banged on the closet door and told them to 'do something'. They said their defibrillator was 'broke', they did not give oxygen, IV, Narcan, NOTHING. They did finally fake CPR and took him to the ER. I got all medical records. The hospital ER doctor emphatically noted on the records that NO NARCAN nor intubation had been done prior to reaching the ER. The ER immediately administered Narcan, but it was way too late by then, like 30 minutes after I found David gasping. The hospital restored a heartbeat with medication and machines. They only kept him on those for 3 minutes, "per hospital protocol", then removed all support and David died. the ER would NOT let me go to him, as I had managed to do in 2003. I guess they learned that mothers do not give up on their sons, so they locked the ER room from the lobby. I am sorry this story was so long. It was and is hell for me. If you want to learn of many, many more life saving stories, look at the Harm Reduction thread at www.bluelight.ru . Yes, it is a foreign website drug users frequent, but they are more knowledgeable and compassionate than most US 'professionals', and families." We live in Deltona, and Florida Hospital Fish Memorial is the hospital David was taken to always. After David died, the doctor came in to tell us. He bolted in the room, blurted out, "David is Dead" before even sitting down. When our daughter returned our call, my husband answered and joked, "Hey Ashlie, How are you doing"... Ashlie yelled at him, crying, she knew why I had called her in Jacksonville because I left a brief message about David. When they took us to see David, I almost fainted and the nurse behind me just grabbed my slacks at the waist, holding me up with a wedgie rather than supporting my arms, etc. We were allowed only 2 minutes with David until the police came in, snapping on his rubber glove and telling us, "They should not have let you in here, you have to go". .. protocol for OD cases they said. My husband walked 40 feet in front of me to the car. The police kept us sitting outside our house for 3 hours while they searched the house, finding nothing. They said this was protocol for OD cases. I was horrified and still am. I will never get over this treatment. This, and worse, is how they treated David. I have a BS in Christian Education and have lived an strictly moral life. I did not deserve this treatment. David was like me. He did not deserve such treatment. On one occasion I took him to Halifax in DB because Fish would not help him. Halifax gave him Prednisone for his dropped wrist, fingers and foot. It cured the wrist and fingers, the foot never recovered from the pinched nerve. Halifax seems better. I have lost all faith in all people after all this.

Last edited:
^
never read this before.

I had my skull bashed open and didn't receive treatment at the ER. Because Im a known Junky.

I am so sorry to hear of your pain and mistreatment at the ER, BingeBoy. I know what you say is true. You are not a 'known Junky', you are a person whose brain and body cry for a substance they have become dependent on, just like food or water or air. Please try to get help, or get you dependency down on your own. I wish you the best. If you ever need medical attention again, keep going until you find someone who will help you, or threaten to sue them if they don't. All hospitals get free money from the Federal Government to treat patients who are uninsured. If they discriminate against you because you have a 'pre-existing condition', substance dependency, sue them for Malpractice. Best wishes.

Missing my son, 'Phreex', every day, and especially this Memorial Day weekend. I miss you, Baby. Phreexmom.

Missing my son, 'Phreex', every day, and especially this Memorial Day weekend. I miss you, Baby. Phreexmom.
I am so sorry. Hugs! :(.

Your sons presence, knowledge, and mind is greatly missed on this site. His contribution to what this site has become cannot be overstated. He is one of the legends of this site that will never be forgotten!

Last edited:
I was getting sentimental about Dave and looked up this thread because my one year sober birthday is coming up and it just made me miss Dave, I just realized my one year birthday is the same date as his passing... now I have to try extra hard to stay clean b/c if I fail this, then I fail him. There are no coincidences when it comes to my higher power, God bless you and your family phreexmom, he is missed a great deal.

^ Congratulations Mad Dash. <3 I know that Dave's passing must have affected many in this way.

You see how many people loved him. And I'm so sorry. Your treatment sounds cold. It's not entirely unlike my own. It's a sickness that kills like so many others, yet it's often treated so differently. People who die from cancer or heart disease or even COPD and liver failure are more often treated compassionately to the end.

They are judged for self-medicating a very real illness. But when somebody contributes to their death by drinking or not moving or eating too much there's somehow less stigma. There should be none for any situation and medical professionals should know better.

Remembering you bud. Keep an eye on me from up there.

RIP - 8/27/09 - 8/27/15 Been 6 six years and we still keep your memory alive.

I've been coming to this site here and there over the course of, I dunno, years. Great site, Ive always been able to gain insight on whatever I needed. One name I've always seen and remembered in doing research is none other then PhreeX. In his words from the get go it was obvious he was that rare breed that encompassed being both a crazy mthr fkr and a voice of reason. This morning I found myself here again and in reading his particular comments about a subject that dated back to 2001, I was curious, and wondered, "Is this guy still alive"?
My search of his name brought me here and I feel saddened.
Peace be with you my unknown brother.

RIP. I dgaf about the whoke BL icon worship thing, you were one of the first phone calls and my feet never felt sexier lol. RIP