RFD (until MAY 28): Bluelight Day - now will added poll!

"BLUELIGHT DAY(S)" should be ....

• Int'l Harm Reduction Conference (April 20 - 23) ...dates change yearly

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • International Drug User's Day (November 1st)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • The date Bluelight was launched (research required)

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • June 26 (International Day against Drug Abuse and Drug Trafficing)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other - specify below.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Time to push this to support?

Re-reading the thread, I see nothing that is 'staff-only' about it. Any objections to moving this to SUPPORT to get feedback from the members? Not an effort to push this off with further debate (we have agreed we'll do it), but it would raise their awareness of something like this and get their take on it up front rather than letting them simply react when it happens.

To the dates, the ones I listed, I can't answer ... I doubt anyone else can either, though anyone is free to try. Again, maybe someone in the public can share this information if they've been around a long time. Any objections (3 days) to moving this out?

^^I'd say so :).

Either 1 Nov or 23(?) June (Int'l Remembrance Day) gets my vote.

Last edited:
...and finally moved to SUPPORT for member feedback. Edited title, so we can close this out by FEB 13.

Any thoughts peoples?

Come on............please dont let this die again.

I strongly support this idea. My preference would be for a day dedicated to celebrating Harm Reduction.

And though I'm one of those people who would have a tough day on the day of abstinence, immediately after I read that idea, I thought, "Yeah, definitely, I am up for that." I view it as an act of respect and a sort of "fasting day" dedicated to the remembrance of those we've lost. If we did a week, I'd just have to pick a day for my "fast." Or maybe the week could be kicked off by the day of abstinence/moderation.

My initial thought was that Alan's day of passing would be an excellent date since it honors both Harm Reduction and Remembrance.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the concept of having a Bluelight Day.

The idea would be twofold. (or maybe more if you wish)

1. As a day of remembrance for all those who have been taken from us. For a special skin, maybe black or grey, to be on bluelight for that entire day or 24 hour period, keeping in mind that its a worldwide thing.

2. That we encourage all our members to make it a drug free day as a sign of respect.

I like the idea of number 1, just not number 2. If I don't take my meds (drugs) for a day, I'm a wee bit fucked. I do think that the day itself, however, would be a sobering reminder, in a literal sense.

My day of choice would be Walpurgisnacht (Walpurgis Night)- April 30-May 1; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

Just bringing this thread back around to closure. We have had extended discussions on this amongst the senior staff, and what we've decided to clear this up a bit is separate the "Blacklight" discussion from any "Bluelight Day" discussion. Blacklight has historically been used when one of our members passes away, however rather than continuing this pattern, we will set aside one week per year to acknowledge the passing of all Bluelighters, and to remind the rest of us of our moratlity and to stay safe. The week chosen is Jan 28 - Feb 4, in honour of the passing of our site's long term benefactor, xtcxtc.

To bring the other half of this discussion, the part of "Bluelight Day" do a close, we will put up a poll at the end of the week (MAR 5) and allow 2 weeks for voting. Current options are listed below, but you are encouraged to offer up alternatives and your reason for suggesting it to be included in the poll.:

• International Harm Reduction Conference (April 20 - 23) ...dates will change yearly
  • International Drug User's Day (November 1st)
  • The date Bluelight was launched (research required)
  • June 26 (see below)
  • Other - specify below.

from a staff thread:
Coming from the day angle, the 26th of June is the UN's International Day against Drug Abuse and Drug Trafficing. However, it seems as if this day is also used by more HR-based groups as a Drug Policy Reform Day (example). I don't know if Blacklight Day is something which we would necessarily want to combine with a "policy reform + HR emphasis -> less bad drug consequences" type of message or not. This might be too much, not what others want, and/or just a lousy idea.

So, we've got this week to add any other suggested dates, then 2 weeks to choose a date. Your input is appreciated, afterall, this site is what you make it :D

Welllll..... it seems another of our noble efforts got lost in the cracks. RFD to FEB then a proposed poll to finalize this was dropped 2 months ago :eek:

Still, no reason not to follow up now and bring closure, now is there? Poll added - help us decide :) Thank you.

oooh can we make this have multiple choices?? I like the day BL was launched, and the June 26 one. I cant decide!

I'm very surprised more people didn't choose harm reduction conference considering that harm reduction is bluelight's mission.

Its probably because its not the same date every year. I'm suprised more people didnt choose June 26, since thats all about harm reduction

I think that something to do with Alan's join date or the day of his passing is appropriate, it's a good way to remember where we we've come from.

^That was talked about for a while, I think what was decided was that since his passing is already being used for the week of Blacklight, another date would be good to use for Bluelight Day

I thought all the ideas listed were good up there, but I shall specify my "Other":

National Addiction Awareness Week - I thought to myself "There's got to be a day atleast for the awareness of people suffering from addictions to many substances", so I had a little search and all I could find was this. (use your find function to find it ;) )

All the info it mentions is that it's a Two week period in November.
There's also Drug Awareness Week which I thought was good but, again, there's no real, deadset date given - it can be pulled off whenever you want and all it needs is a red ribbon.

I thought something along these lines would be good but if anyone finds anything that's a little bit more "I've got an actual, set date" then that would be wicked =D

♥♥♥ Much love to all those we have lost ♥♥♥

p.s. This really is a lovely idea :)

Weak......voting is uber-weak. :\

While the poll closes in a few hours, expect that we'll revive this concept again shortly before implementing. This means, feel free to kick in more ideas (thanks monsta) and we'll give this another vote in the near future (with whatever is found to be worth adding in as options). Thanks, everyone.

I voted for the date of BL's inception - closely tied with the date of Alan's death. I like the above post by hoptis. A special forum is a great idea; I know my Festivus was brighter because of the Festivus Forum.

Let's find out BL's birthday!

I'm very surprised more people didn't choose harm reduction conference considering that harm reduction is bluelight's mission.

I chose it just now... I think BL would benefit from aligning itself with the IHRA through a gesture such as what we are discussing.