• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

I enjoyed traveling in Bosina and Bulgaria. While not that remote, they have interesting recent history without the tourists.

I seem to have missed this one as well.

The Balkans are of interest to me as well. If I were to show the areas of most interest for me, it would form a triangle between roughtly Venice, Italy; Galle, Sri-Lanka; and Vladivodstok, Russia. Almost everything that falls within this triangle is totally worthy of my attention.

---

One europe-related trip that I'd like to do is crossing the Pyrenees with a donkey. I adore donkeys and I bet they'd make for a great trip :).

^^I lived there for about 7 years while I was growing up, both before and after the Taleban. When I saw the Buddhas in 2005, they were still just piles of rubble, but yeah, I think they're being restored now (by Japanese groups, I believe). Never got to see the minaret of Jam, though.

PS Thank you. I don't think most people get the Persephone reference.

^ Most don't get the Jamshyd reference either :).

If I may ask, are you part-afaghan?

Btw, Persephone and Hades are the most interesting Greek deities IMO.

My parents brought me on vacation to Ohio once when I was a kid . I thought that was pretty Bizarre .

heh, did you go there visiting people or did they just bring you there for a vacation?

Either way, there can be some unusual attractions in your own state or country that you would never thought of unless seeking it out. It could also save a lot of money.

Sadly no, I'm white. My parents are from the US but were aid workers in Afghanistan, so I was raised there.
(sorry if I'm derailing the thread...)

^That is very cool!

To expand on Spork's idea, it's really quite amazing what one can see in one's own backyard. I never thought I would end up in California when I was growing up in the Southeast US, but in five years I've seen most of the major cities and many other places that aren't tourist destinations.

Wow Kore, that's a hell of a childhood. I'm sure you've seen a lot of things most of us never will.

Is Afghanistan really as lunar looking as it is in most of the pictures I've seen? Because if it is, it's no wonder to me that it's a violent place. Apparently ancient Greek historians wrote about the place as being hardscrabble and fairly violent back then too.

Jamshyd, yeah, China apparently wants a piece of Sikkim. I think they want to mine the hell out of it for oil. Twould be a damn shame, because it's truly an unspoiled little Shangri La. I really think a war between India and China is not something the world needs right now. I can imagine any Tibetan-related organization becoming a very stressful place to hang out, if this happened. If China gets really ballsy, it'll also try to take some land across the Amur. See Vladivostok while it's still Russian.

Jam: You could always use your Canadian ID but now I am afriad you are in the system. Yeah it sucks but then we are not allowed in Gaza now, and not allowed in PA controlled areas.

In fact, my clan owns a 4 story building in Hebron, we paid 700,000 US for it, videotaped the transaction, had 2 teams of attroneys to record the transaction (Israeli and "Palestinian"), now have a couple of hundred Jews living in it and yesterday the High Court ordered everyone out!!! So if you want to talk "unfair" I can go round for round...IN FACT, that same building? It was owned bymy clan before 1929 when Arabs stole it from us after murdering my grandfather and eldeest uncle!!!

In the end though, I believe one day you at least will be able to walk anywhere you wish. in fact, let me say it like this: ALLEGEDLY, if you were to enter PA areas on your PA PAssport (I assume you have one), you could then go to an IDF Border Checkpoint and not claim it and simply show your Canadian Passport and be waved right through into Israel Proper, IF not just walk in like tens of thousands do everyday although that could always turn out bad for you.

Why do you not like South Korea? Alot of SE Asia , although SK is not really SE per se, is pretty racist as you have found out. I happen to think Japan is worst by far. They actually have signs saying "No Foreigners" served and Heaven helps you if you are not white then you will certainly have problems. Flakey place anyway with the popularity of clubs catering to old men who like women dressed as pigtailed school girls and what not.

Koreans do have some strange concepts as well. A Filipino politco beat the crap out of a Korean businessman at a golfing resort here over some snide racist remakrs the Korean made. He is making his living here and calling Filipinos names to their face but I could not say it is a prevalent thing.

Never been to Afghanistan but have been to Pakistan, including Peshwar so you might as well say I have been there since all of NW is pretty indistinguishable or so I am told. I do especially wish to go to Kabul and see what is left of the Jewish Community, all f one old man. I would like to be able to say I have seen it.

On the Buddhas, in Bamiyan, pretty poor Hazara live there, and they are still looking for the Reclining Buddha which is supposed to be the world's longest but it is probably long gone. The Taliban as you must know blew the faces and arms off of the sitting Buddhas.

MyDoor: I would love to go to Sikkim. In fact, there is a group of Chin there, on the indian side mostly, who claim descent from a Lost Tribe, Tribe of Ephraim, and they have begun moving to Israel so I really would love to go soon. Perhaps I will go there and not Madagascar.

Speaking of China and is desires though, I also have as of late, developed a yen (no pun intended akthough it would be extremely weak at that) to go to Chinese held Kashmir which is probably as close as i can get to any part of Kashmir for the foreseeable future.

I also wish to go to a different part of Pakistan where the pagans still live. The Kalash Tribe, usually called Kafirastan by the Pakistani. I read a long while ago that they were finally getting a hiway into the mountains there and that they predicted the tribe would be assimilated by 2050 if not long before. Only supposedly 3500 left, believed descended from Alexander the Great's troops, allot of blondes and blue eyed, more than the usual you see in NW amongst the Pathan. What I want to most see though is their religion which is suppsoed to be largely based on ancient Macedonian beliefs or so they say.

The older I get the less I get to travel although I did do ok this year. Gets more difficult having a very young wife who wants many kids, you know? Hey, things could be alot worse.

what to take travelling

Reading the thread Has anyone ever just taken off?, I was wondering what people would/did take on these trips.

I was thinking:
TOWEL :p
harddrive music player, at least 20GB
camera+card reader
deodorant
mutivitamins
fish oil pills
rubber bands
several shirts/shorts/pants/boxers
a hoodie
socks
notebook, pencils, lead, erasers
maybe small, indelicate smoking device

Last edited:
I'm not taking two much. Maybe 2 pairs of pants, a pair of shorts and a skirt, and 2-3 tops. (Im a dirty hippie and wear the same clothes all the time at home anyway lol)One pair of shoes and a pair of flip flops. Socks and underwear.

Toiletry stuff but minimal, maybe a SMALL thing of very basic makeup (probably wont wear it anyway), a comb, a hair clip and some rubberbands, soap, a razor to shave with (or might just buy that stuff there), zit medicine and lotion, other meds such as motrin and maybe some vitamin C. I honestly don't even think I'm bringing shampoo, too bulky and heavy and I could always buy it over there for cheaper. I'll probably just braid my hair, I think hair is healthier when you dont wash it all the time, natural oils and what not. I rarely wash it at home either and people don't even notice and are always telling me how pretty and shiny it is. :) Nail clippers.

Girly products of course. Thats one thing you dont want to be stuck somewhere without.

My passport, pics and copies of both in various locations in case I lose something.

Wallet, travelers checks and credit card, and some cash.

My guidebook, and a blank notebook and pen.

Ipod.

Camera and batteries.

Earplugs, Im a light sleeper.

I think thats about it. Anything else I'm sure I can find for pretty cheap in the stores over there.

Sounds stupid but a fleece blanket is so useful, light and doesn't take much space but so good if you're delayed or cold on a plane/ship.

I would suggest adding some sort of light source to your list... flashlight, LED, something.

Things I found easy to forget but of utmost importance:
- Scissors
- Toilet Paper
- Can/bottle opener
- Towel (big enough to double as bed cover)
- Guidebook, pen, and paper (good idea deja!)
- Lucky charms
- First Aid Kit
- Basic nutrition: Oatmeal, Multivitamin, water, honey, tea, Ketamine
- Portable water heater
- Bowl (doubles as cup)
- Valium (essential for long trips)
- Flashlight
- Pillow
- Portable sewing kit
- Mouthwash
- Soap
- Technology: Laptop, Camera, Phone, PSP
- As many books as one can carry

I'd LIKE to have:
- Portable solar cell + battery

Last edited:
Jam, do I need to bring a blanket or sleeping bag for Asia? Or do most places have appropriate bedding?

Not in my experience, cheap places usually just provide a bare mattress - a blanket is very important, not so much for warmth, but because I know most people (including myself) have a hard time falling asleep without a cover of somekind.

Cool, thanks, Ill try and find a light, roll up sleeping bag that doesnt take up too much room in my pack. *adds to the list*

Get a silk sleeping bag, roll up realllllly small, very light and perfect for humid conditions

I'll add:
Wet wipes (keep fresh when delayed in a sweaty airport, then just buy for cheaper when out there)
Small sun cream (can buy it out there for cheaper)
A little luxury from home
Swiss army knife
Nail clippers

A long piece of string - can be a washing line, useful if a bag breaks, all sorts of uses. Tea light candles & a lighter/matches. A few plastic bags of various sizes (I know, evil plastic) but good for waterproofing/wrapping things.

Also, if you're backpacking don't take a great big army style bag. You'll see soo many people complaining their bags are too heavy, lugging their stuff around all day.. You really don't need many clothes

Get one with a detachable smaller rucksack on it, preferably with a camel pack in it