Gang Problems ?

First he says this

^^whatever, im not going to get into a dicksizing contest over whos city has more gangs,

then says this

but you ever heard of compton? watts? South central LA would put any part of chicago to shame in terms of gang activity.

lol. But you probably dont have a real idea of what you're saying here.

I'm advocating no sense of pride in it, but even after dismantling Cabrini and the Robert Taylor Homes, Chicago has places as rough as anything you'll find in LA, Detroit, Philly, NOLA, or DC. Even in my neighborhood of Pilsen, on the edge of the westward gentrification, you still have a really fragile border between Kings and Disciples turf.

I feel so naive on the Gold Coast here in Australia where there is virtually no violence etc 8o

Atlien3, you wouldn't happen to have hung out with a few folks from Mobile, Al or anything would ya. For some reason I'm gettin the feeling I know you?

Yes, as a matter of fact i have, I used to live in Mobile, what part of Atlanta are you in?

why is it that where ever you have a MLK street it always seems to be the black part of town.

Probably because the residents of mostly black community areas asked the city to change the name of the street.

Same reason some streets in my neighborhood are named after Mexican historical figures.

There are far "worse" places outside of Detroit, that put that town to shame.

I.E. Genesse, Flint, Beuna Vista, Saginaw.................Im sure its like that other places too but those places Ive listed get far hairier than Detroit on devils night

First he says this

then says this

lol. But you probably dont have a real idea of what you're saying here.

I'm advocating no sense of pride in it, but even after dismantling Cabrini and the Robert Taylor Homes, Chicago has places as rough as anything you'll find in LA, Detroit, Philly, NOLA, or DC. Even in my neighborhood of Pilsen, on the edge of the westward gentrification, you still have a really fragile border between Kings and Disciples turf.

Right, I have no idea what im talking about except for the fact that I lived in South Central for a good amount of time8). All I am saying is that if you look at the number of legitimate gangs(not a bunch of high school kids who call themselves a gang, I'm talking crews that are running networks of criminal activity such as major dope distribution, extortion, etc.) which are recognized by the cities gang unit, and if you look at the number of people who affiliate with a certain gang, LA has got any other place beat by a long shot. I'm not talking about murder rate or how ghetto the area is, I'm talking based solely on number of gangs and gang members.

Is it true mobile alabama doesn't have a mlk drive?

no true all chinky. you can beat every city in the south is guna have a mlk dr, street, blvd something

N Martin Luther King Jr Dr, Mobile, Mobile, Alabama 36610

I'm not talking about murder rate or how ghetto the area is, I'm talking based solely on number of gangs and gang members.

If you have a city of 6 million with a police estimate of 120,000 gang members, and another city of 3 million with 60,000, then which has the 'bigger' problem?

and fully organized crime is another story. It doesn't usually concern the average person. Regular people are only affected by the pawns trying to prove themselves in the pecking order by robbing, stealing, and vandalizing.

no true all chinky. you can beat every city in the south is guna have a mlk dr, street, blvd something

N Martin Luther King Jr Dr, Mobile, Mobile, Alabama 36610

no im sorry i meant montgomery..and thats where alot of the civil rights shit went down. too

no im sorry i meant montgomery..and thats where alot of the civil rights shit went down. too

Ya know, now that I think about I dont ever remember seeing an MLK Blvd in Montgomery. However, I-85 Freeway is named "Martin Luther King Jr Expressway". But yea, Montgomery was where Dr King's first church was but he is from Atlanta.

Yeah round my way you can get the crackhouse of your dreams all for under5k

Anyhow here is an article full of lies and misinformation. I know it because I visit Saginaw freguently. Since they took down the SSC, it opened the door for mexican gangs "ala MS13" fresh outta Standish/Freeland prisons

Mich. police change the way gangs do business
By JOE SNAPPER
THE SAGINAW (MI) NEWS

A crackdown on Saginaw's most prolific street gang that plunged investigators into an underworld of drug dealing and violence is yielding convictions and changing the way gangsters do business.

The combination of uniformed and undercover work since 2005 has quelled shootings, driven dealers off the streets and forced gangsters into new tactics to insulate them from arrest and prosecution, city and state police said.

The probe involving state police and federal agents targeted 19 members of the Sunny Side gang who were fueling city violence and spreading drugs throughout northern Michigan.

Since July, federal prosecutors have won decade-long prison sentences for two members of the Sunny Side clan operating on Saginaw's Southeast Side, where police say much dope selling has gone underground since last summer's arrests.

"The south end there where they were doing their business -- it's been relatively quiet since those arrests were made," said Saginaw Police Sgt. Kevin Revard, an expert in the city's gangs. "I'm not seeing the street dealers out like I had been prior to that."

He said street sales have slowed in the area because formerly brazen corner dope-slingers now do business behind closed doors.

In the open, dealers are careful merely to pass a piece of paper to a potential customer who pulls up in a car, supplying a phone number and nothing more.

"We noticed just before (the crackdown) happened," Revard said. "Dealers go meet them somewhere rather than in the neighborhood."

He added that gang violence has slowed dramatically in the notoriously bullet-ridden Sunny Side territory since last summer.

"Most violent gangs, including the Sunny Side, know that we are out there and trying to catch them," said State Police 1st Lt. Melvin Mathews, commander of the Bay Area Narcotics Task Force, or BAYANET, which oversees the probe.

"Has it had an impact on the community?" he added of the ongoing investigation that involves the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "I believe so."

On Valentine's Day, U.S. District Judge Thomas J. Ludington in Bay City sentenced Matthew D. Ford, 25, of Saginaw to federal prison for 10 years on drug charges, adding to the 20 years Ford already is serving in state prison on drug and weapons charges.

Using unmarked cars, members of Saginaw's Safe Streets Task Force arrested Ford, who was out of prison on parole, on July 13 on Grant Street, Revard said.

"He was one of our street dealers," said Revard, who leads the task force. "He didn't recognize my vehicle. When we pulled up on him, I could tell he had stuffed something down his pants.

"We walked one of the (K-9) dogs around him, and the dog barked. He admitted he was stuffing crack cocaine down his pants."

Ford, nicknamed "Dee," pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute 5 grams or more of cocaine base. He remains in the Saginaw Correctional Facility in Freeland, state Department of Corrections records show.

Federal prosecutors also have won convictions against three others, including a 10-year stint for John H. McCoy, 28, of Saginaw, who pleaded guilty to drug and conspiracy charges. Mathews declined to release the other names because he said it could hamper the investigation.

Authorities said last summer they arrested several "enforcers" and "lieutenants" -- Sunny Siders that Mathews described as "midlevel people."

Police say the gang wears yellow, uses the "OK" finger symbol as its sign and joins with East Side gangs in wars with North Side rivals.

A separate BAYANET unit known as the Violent Crimes Task Force, made up of four ATF agents and two state troopers, is playing a key intelligence role in the probe, said State Police Detective Sgt. Scott Woodard.

He described the Sunny Side effort as "digging deeper into the pie," part of a broader form of "intelligence-led policing" in which the unit identifies "hot-spot gang areas" and relays the information to troopers on the road.

Woodard, based at the state police Lansing headquarters before working with BAYANET, said the unit fills a "communication gap" and allows investigators to "connect the dots in long-term conspiracy-type cases."

He said that state police leaders are emphasizing such longer-view cases. In the Sunny Side case, he said "a lot of the big-time players are locked up, but not all of them."

Around the summer of 05 when they took down most of the SunnySideCrips, the data they got about gangshootings was way off since the police were unaware that the mexicans were even in a gang. They didnt start doing the homework untill 2008 when they figured out that it had to be another gang knocking off Crows Island bloods

From wikitravel
Saginaw is a town with very high rates of violent crime and gang activity. While locals have been known to exaggerate the threat, the potential for violent crime is real. Visitors unfamiliar with the area would be wise to avoid residential neighborhoods in the city of Saginaw, especially east of the river and particularly at night. Downtown Saginaw can also get a bit rough, especially late at night when the bars clear out. That being said, if you exercise common sense and don't go looking for trouble, you'll be fine.

Its only seems like an exaggeration becuase nobody in any law enforcement position believes the sick and derranged crimes that happen.

And everything east of the river, is where the Hospital/Bus station/ Hockey Arena/ Historic downtown is. So I guess dont go out at night would be better advice. Shit does get a bit hairy at night. The stickup kids/carjackers/dope fiends are real active at night.

Most of the gang violence happens in the day so that sentence is fucked up

I dont look for trouble most times, but more often then not it finds you.

Arthur Hill and Saginaw High (I think) are full of violence here are some ones from way back from 04
A sophomore was shot in the chest during lunch hours in school

Driver-by shooter opened fire as hundreds of kids were leaving the school’s homecoming dance

Two teens attacked a police officer in the parking lot after a basketball game

Security guards apprehended a freshman at the school who had a loaded .32-caliber handgun in his pants

Shots were fired in the parking lot during lunch hour

A 17-year-old attempted to slash another student's throat with a utility knife in the halls

Someone took aim with a shotgun as classes let out, blowing out the back window of a parked car

This relates back to the wikitravel article about violence in saginaw being blow out of proportion
Somehow these incidences of school violence are ignored by the national media. The shootings elsewhere in the United States have caused worldwide controversy but violence in inner-city schools is largely unnoticed or ignored by the public. Why did the shooting at Columbine, Colorado generate so much national attention but the shootings at Saginaw, Michigan are overlooked? No movies were ever made for the victims at Saginaw High School or the victims at any other inner-city schools throughout the country. Perhaps violence in these schools and communities are so frequent and expected that the public has largely been desensitized to its problems. The public is sending the message to our inner-city school children that the children from affluent suburbs are the primary concern. How can we expect the students to learn and succeed if they must face an unsafe learning environment day in and day out knowing that no changes will be made because their safety does not matter?

In 2001 John Engler doled out $1.92 Million for police and such: The two places recieving the most were Saginaw/Genesse Counties. Which reading this seems to have failed in a big way

The 67th District Court/County of Genesee will receive $79,253 for Family and Domestic Violence Strategies to fund a continuation project targeting domestic violence offenders and their victims

Flint will receive $196,276 for Michigan Juvenile Intervention Initiative to fund the Flint Police Juvenile Intervention Program, which will continue working with juveniles between the ages of 10 and 13 who have committed their first or second non-violent serious offense.

Saginaw will receive $173,325 for Michigan Juvenile Intervention Initiative to fund a project that will identify and implement intervention efforts targeted at education, mental health, and social factors that will reduce the likelihood of recidivism for juvenile offender

Saginaw County will receive $48,195 for Gang Task Force Strategies to fund the Saginaw Gang Task Force to reduce and eliminate enterprising gang activity throughout the greater Saginaw community

Saginaw County will receive $37,539 for School Resource Strategies to fund an officer in the Chesaning Union Schools to provide early intervention services at the elementary, middle and senior high school levels

Flint will receive $42,602 to fund a D.A.R.E. program to six middle schools within the City of Flint

The 7th Circuit Court/County of Genesee will receive $105,000 for Drug Testing and Treatment for Juveniles and Adults to fund case management and monitoring services for felony defendants, as ordered by the court.

The 67th District Court/County of Genesee will receive $82,681 for Drug Testing and Treatment for Juveniles and Adults to fund an intensive supervision and testing program for drug offenders.

The Bay Area Narcotics Enforcement Team, a Multijurisdictional Task Force that operates in the counties of Saginaw, and Bay will receive $271,691. The team will continue efforts in narcotic investigations specializing in surveillance, undercover assignments, informant management, gathering of intelligence and seizures stemming from asset forfeiture.

The Flint Area Narcotics Group, a Multijurisdictional Task Force, will receive $458,491. The team will focus on specialized investigative methods in the pursuit and apprehension of controlled-substance violators that are responsible for the distribution of drugs in the area.

And just to compare the other metros to Genesse/Saginaw I give you these:

Burton will receive $57,618 for School Resource Strategies to fund a school resource officer for grades K-5.

Clare will receive $4,113 to fund a D.A.R.E. program to junior high students at Clare Middle School

Huron County Community Corrections will receive $2,963 for Drug Testing and Treatment for Juveniles and Adults to fund a Probation Compliance Officer Program to assist the courts and probation officers.

Midland County will receive $31,884 for Drug Testing and Treatment for Juveniles and Adults to fund the treatment of substance abusing offenders to improve the continuum of treatment and decrease the duplication of services

The Thumb Narcotics Unit, a Multijurisdictional Task Force that operates in Huron, Lapeer, Sanilac, and Tuscola Counties will receive $86,427. The team will target all levels of drug traffickers beginning with low level and intermediate dealers in an effort to identify and prosecute high-level traffickers of marijuana and other illegal drugs.

The politics of failure have failed its time to make them work again

Last edited:
From USA Today

Cities where ATF, FBI have crime teams
Posted 6/1/2007

AP) Attorney General Alberto Gonzales announced that Violent Crime Impact Teams were being dispatched to Mesa, Ariz.; Orlando, Fla.; San Bernardino, Calif., and San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Other cities where impact teams have been deployed since June 2004:

_Albuquerque, N.M.; Atlanta; Baltimore; Baton Rouge, La.; Birmingham, Ala.; Camden, N.J.; Columbus, Ohio; Fresno, Calif.; Greensboro, N.C.; Hartford, Conn.; Houston; Laredo, Texas; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Miami; Milwaukee; Minneapolis; New Orleans; Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Richmond, Va.; Tampa, Fla.; Tucson, Ariz.; Tulsa, Okla.; Washington.

Cities and regions where the FBI has deployed Violent Gang and Violent Crime/Gang Safe Streets Task Forces nationwide, as of December 2006, the latest data available. Note: some cities and regions have more than one task force deployed there, focusing separately on violent crime, gangs or major thefts.

Alabama: Mobile, Birmingham.

Alaska: Anchorage.

Arizona: Phoenix.

Arkansas: Metrock.

California: South Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Stockton, Sacramento, Central Valley, San Diego, North County region, North Bay region, Oakland, San Francisco, North Central Coast.

Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Northern Connecticut region.

Colorado: Rocky Mountain region, southern Colorado region.

Delaware: statewide.

District of Columbia.

Florida: Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, South Florida region, Palm Beach County, Tampa Bay.

Georgia: Hall County, northwest Georgia region, Conasauga, southwest Georgia region.

Idaho: Treasure Valley, North Idaho

Illinois: Will County, Chicago, West Peoria, Quad Cities, Metro East region.

Indiana: Indianapolis, Gary.

Kentucky: Northern Kentucky region

Louisiana: Calcasieu Parish, northeast Louisiana, Capital Area.

Maryland: Baltimore, Prince George's County.

Massachusetts: Western Massachusetts region, North Shore region, southeast Massachusetts region, Boston.

Michigan: St. Joseph, Saginaw, Detroit, Genessee County.

Mississippi: Jackson, southeast Mississippi.

Missouri: Kansas City, St. Louis.

Montana: Big Sky, Central Montana region.

Nebraska: Greater Omaha.

Nevada: Las Vegas.

New Jersey: statewide, South Jersey region, Jersey Shore region.

New Mexico: southern New Mexico region.

New York: Capital District area, Buffalo, Westchester County, New York City, Long Island.

North Carolina: Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte.

Ohio: Miami Valley region, Cleveland/Cuyahoga region, Mahoning Valley, Stark County.

Oklahoma: Oklahoma City, Tulsa.

Oregon: Portland.

Pennsylvania: Lehigh Valley region, Delaware Valley region, Philadelphia, Steamtown, Pittsburgh, Erie, southwest Pennsylvania region.

Puerto Rico: Guaynabo, Aguadilla regional, Ponce, Fajardo.

Rhode Island: statewide.

South Carolina: Columbia, Charleston, PeeDee.

Tennessee: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis

Texas: Dallas, west Texas region, east Texas region, Tarrant County, El Paso, Houston, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, Rio Grande.

U.S. Virgin Islands: regional.

Utah: statewide, northern Utah region.

Virginia: Petersburg, Richmond, Tidewater region, Peninsula region

Washington: Pierce County, Puget Sound.

West Virginia: Charleston, Huntington, Potomac Highlands Task.

Wisconsin: Milwaukee area, Gang-Rock County.

___

Source: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI.

Now everyone who thinks of violent places in Michigan automatically think Detroit. But if this hasnt convinced you that crime, gangrealted or not, in Michigan is no longer centered in Detroit. The outlaying cities have become more dangerous that Detroit in its hayday.

No the question I pose to you is this:

Has gang influence spread from your major cities to the smaller sized metropolitan areas like it has here?

Funny you mentioned the high school students as that was one criteria I was thinking might be appropriate to measure gang activity. Obviously school systems vary from city to city, and most of the real bad kids drop out before they're killed, but it's still a decently valid statistic.

The high school down the street from me (south side of Chicago) there was a drive by and 2 murders about a month ago. As of the 4th of July there were 36 CPS students murdered

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106215507

According to the graphic in the article, 1 in 10 homocide victims in Chicago has been 16 or younger :(

Regarding gang influencing spreading to smaller areas, Chicago based gangs are located all over the country now, but nearby they're in Rockford, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, etc etc.

Well not really based out of, like spreading their criminal empire. But like a mass exodus from Major urban cities to secondary metro areas
+