• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids (Gabapentin) withdrawal, any advice?

I've been on and off of pregabalin for years now and its very similar to gabapentin and 4 times (roughly) more potent so you would assume withdrawals from the two would be very similar, if anything pregabalin being the worse of the two to withdrawal from. I have been prescribed 600mg of Lyrica for awhile now but I decided to go off it a couple years ago after being on it for a couple years and I felt almost no withdrawals. Nothing physical except some anxiety. I quit again a couple weeks ago and had nearly no withdrawals. However I have heard from some people who say the withdrawals from Lyrica were a nightmare and there were physical symptoms so I suppose some people may suffer some withdrawals from gabapentin but very mild if anything. That shitty feeling you talk about shouldn't last any longer than 72 hours.

Currently taking gabapentin and getting withdrawal

I have been taking gabapentin now for almost 10 years for the treatment of bipolar disorder. Recently due to a manic phase my dose of gabapentin was raised from a normal of 2700mg a day to 3900 mg a day until the manic phase was under control and then brought back down. I have had the anxiety, dizziness, sleeplessness, nausea, feeling of unease like something is off, tingling in the face. My doctor gave me klonopin to help the withdrawal to work down but still things are not going back to normal. The Mania only lasted for three weeks until I could go back down to the old dosage. But the sad thing is to go off the med completely and switch to something else at this point might mean being locked up in hospital so I guess I am stuck in this loop. But I have had ten years with no crazy bipolar episodes and been managed so I guess I will put up with it.

Hello Bluelight.

I have had experience of trying to get off of pregabalin (Lyrica). I know it is a different drug, however it works in a similar way and has similar effects. When I tried to quit I had been on 200mg three times a day for a year for anxiety and when I stopped abruptly without tapering I experienced an extremely unpleasant detox with rebound anxiety, abdominal pain, insomnia and really bad night sweats. I could barely get myself out of bed it was so bad and at first I thought I had the flu or some kind of really bad infection and because all of the literature says that pregabalin has no withdrawal syndrome. It was a week before I realised why I was so unwell. When I restarted the pregabalin again (at a lower dose as I figured I had lost some tolerance over the week of detox) the symptoms disappeared within an hour, so I am almost certain that the cause was a pregabalin withdrawal syndrome.

All of this was 18 months ago and over the course of time I have managed to taper down to 100mg-200mg a day depending on how I am feeling and I am resigned to the fact that I will be on this drug for a long time. I suppose I am lucky in the fact that prescriptions are dispensed free of charge where I live, so at least it is not causing me financial hardship.

Anyway, I suppose what I am saying is that I feel for all of you who are going through pregabalin/gabapentin withdrawals. I can't believe that Pfizer did not come accross this problem during clinical trials or in post-marketing research and if they did then they have covered it up.

I tapered down to the smallest amt slowly, then quit from there. No symptoms at all! Had been on it for 2 years.

LMFAO!!
1. You do NOT and I repeat do NOT get any sort of withdrawl from Gabapentin. I've been taking it daily for 3 years at 1800mg/day... and some days I'll wake up and forget to take it or just flat out decide not too, and I'll go days without taking it and experience no withdrawls.

2. If your experiencing withdrawls from gabapentin, please please please, dont try any drugs that WILL cause withdrawls lol.

3. Gabapentin is one of the safest drugs out there... almost literally impossible to OD on. the LD50 is unknown. There's been cases of people taking upwards of 200 of the 600mg pills and not having to be hospitalized.

4. Gabapentin does not interact with many other pharmas out there which also makes it very safe.

5. I'm currently in med school to be a pharmacist.

- if you want some sources let me know I'd be glad to you show you them from some medical journals.

I believe the so called "withdrawals" people are saying they are experiencing are anxiety and possible other conditions that they probably had prior to medicating gabapentin/neurontin.

Last edited:
LMFAO!!
1. You do NOT and I repeat do NOT get any sort of withdrawl from Gabapentin. I've been taking it daily for 3 years at 1800mg/day... and some days I'll wake up and forget to take it or just flat out decide not too, and I'll go days without taking it and experience no withdrawls.

2. If your experiencing withdrawls from gabapentin, please please please, dont try any drugs that WILL cause withdrawls lol.

3. Gabapentin is one of the safest drugs out there... almost literally impossible to OD on. the LD50 is unknown. There's been cases of people taking upwards of 200 of the 600mg pills and not having to be hospitalized.

4. Gabapentin does not interact with many other pharmas out there which also makes it very safe.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2011.01798.x/abstract Suicide by Gabapentin overdose Journ Forens Sci Owen Middleton M.D.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526 Withdrawal Symptoms after Gabapentin Discontinuation Thaddaus R. Hellwig; Rhonda Hammerquist; Jill Termaat American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy
http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1081/CLT-120016965 Gabapentin Withdrawal Presenting as Status Epilepticus Fermin BarruetoJr.,, Jonah Green, Mary Ann Howland, Robert S. Hoffman and Lewis S. Nelson Clin Toxi 1 Jan 2002

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2011.01798.x/abstract Suicide by Gabapentin overdose Journ Forens Sci Owen Middleton M.D.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526 Withdrawal Symptoms after Gabapentin Discontinuation Thaddaus R. Hellwig; Rhonda Hammerquist; Jill Termaat American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy
http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1081/CLT-120016965 Gabapentin Withdrawal Presenting as Status Epilepticus Fermin BarruetoJr.,, Jonah Green, Mary Ann Howland, Robert S. Hoffman and Lewis S. Nelson Clin Toxi 1 Jan 2002

I got this from one the of "sources" you mentioned and I quote "Based on a review of the available literature, this appears to be the first published report of a death due solely to gabapentin "

The lady was 66 years old, and she had a serious case of depression... She was old and had mental health issues. I highly disbelieve Gabapentin was the actual cause of death,bro.

I have been taking gabapentin for 2 years for pain in my abdomen which they thought was neuropathy, WELL- come to find out i have a serious umbilical hernia and have surgery in a week. FINALLY after 6 years of pain they are doing something. I hope it helps BUT my point of messaging you is I have been weaning off of gabapentin and been feeling soooo awful. people say oh its so safe and thats so not true. doctors say its safe but i did every other day for 2 weeks then one every 2 days and so on, an then stopped it, i haven't had any for 6 days now and i feel like im in like detox, so dizzy i can barely walk, shaky, sweaty, just have to lay around, it is awful, i can hardly sit on the toilet long enough to go to the bathroom. This is AWFUL, i almost went to the er bc my head feels so weird. but supposibly it will go away! I wonder how long it will take? I already have major anxiety issues that i take prozac for sooo let me know if you know anything else!! Thanks. Just wanted to let you know your not alone!

I have been taking gabapentin for 2 years for pain in my abdomen which they thought was neuropathy, WELL- come to find out i have a serious umbilical hernia and have surgery in a week. FINALLY after 6 years of pain they are doing something. I hope it helps BUT my point of messaging you is I have been weaning off of gabapentin and been feeling soooo awful. people say oh its so safe and thats so not true. doctors say its safe but i did every other day for 2 weeks then one every 2 days and so on, an then stopped it, i haven't had any for 6 days now and i feel like im in like detox, so dizzy i can barely walk, shaky, sweaty, just have to lay around, it is awful, i can hardly sit on the toilet long enough to go to the bathroom. This is AWFUL, i almost went to the er bc my head feels so weird. but supposibly it will go away! I wonder how long it will take? I already have major anxiety issues that i take prozac for sooo let me know if you know anything else!! ******EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT SO DONT SAY THAT IT DONT CAUSE WITH DRAWLS*** I HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH IN MY LIFE I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. DONT SAY STUFF LIKE THAT IT WILL AND DOES OFFEND PEOPLE ON HERE. JUST BECAUSE IT DONT CAUSE WITHDRAWLS IN ONE PERSON, IT MIGHT IN ANOTHER! JUST THOUGHT ID LET YOU KNOW. THANKS.

LMFAO!!

- if you want some sources let me know I'd be glad to you show you them from some medical journals.

I believe the so called "withdrawals" people are saying they are experiencing are anxiety and possible other conditions that they probably had prior to medicating gabapentin/neurontin.

Do you speak from experience?

Have you withdrawn from either of these drugs?

You can't go making sweeping generalizations like this regardless of where you go to school. I could have physical manifestations from withdrawing from television, for instance, and you can't say that It's impossible that I'm having these symptoms because you've never heard of them in the literature, I'm me and I am experiencing them.

Neurontin withdrawal is nasty the first few times you've had it, at least it was for me. I've reason to believe that it becomes manageable after a few years of off and on dosing, but THAT'S ME.

Oh, and btw, why the continuous use of the acronym "lol." What are you fucking twelve? Grow up and get a taste of the world before you laugh at the pain of another.

Edit:

Oh, wait, you said 'pharmacist.'

That's a covetous 'med school' position if I've ever heard of one.

As hard as I'm laughing at you now I'd never laugh publicly at your pain in the hands of a deceptive medicine that's caused you withdrawal. Keep that in mind, Hyppocratic oath and all...

Last edited:
Gabapentin Withdrawl Time How Long

I apologize for the strange title, I'm hoping those keywords will help others searching for this info.

I just went through hell on earth withdrawing from Gabapentin and couldn't find much info on how long it would take so I thought I'd post my own experience. I Hope this helps somebody out there.

I was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain from Shingles. Here's the timeline and some notes to follow:

My dosage:

300mg once per day 1 WEEK
300mg twice per day 1 WEEK
300mg three times per day 1 WEEK
300mg twice per day 1 WEEK
300mg once per day 1 WEEK

As you can see, this appears to be a very low dosage compared to many on this and other forums. It includes the basic taper recommend by my doctor which is just a reversal of the time/dosage.

My withdrawl symptoms were right on with the rest of the description on these sites, so I'll try to be succinct here, but please know even with my relatively small time/dosage my symptoms were the most EXTREME and TERRIFYING thing I've been through in my life.

48 Hours after last dose:
Began feeling like I'd had way too much coffee and felt very uneasy and jittery. Then progressively worse towards the first night...

First night:
Woke up shortly after trying to go to bed feeling extremely drunk. Seemingly out of nowhere a giant wave of spinning, cyclical fear/panic/overwhelming sadness and feeling of "losing my mind" gripped me for HOURS.

First WEEK:
The best way I can think to describe this week is that I was in what felt like a permanent state of heavy, dark intoxication with full on vertigo and trembling. That was best case as every few hours HUGE WAVES of the "bad trip" type terror would turn on and off like a switch.

Second WEEK:
There was a distinct point at which I actually felt the dark drunken state LIFT. It was like a massive pressure came off of my psyche and aside from some jitters it was my first glimpse of potential normalcy. HOWEVER, the huge waves of "bad trip" did not stop. So I would feel somewhat OK, then every few hours it felt like I had been quite literally drugged and it would all return.

These moments were the worst. I would have to leave work, or hide in the breakroom. I would just break down crying on the couch while my girlfriend tried to calm me. An absolute nightmare. Living between moments of normal and fear of another attack were by far the most frustrating, especially because of the nature of the attacks. You can feel it coming on an try to calm yourself and fight it, but eventually it just takes over and you’re drunk, dizzy and terrified again that it will never end.

Second/Third/Fourth WEEKS:

So here’s how it happened for me and I hope the best to anyone else out there fighting this. Over the course of the final weeks these horrible “spells” began to get weaker and shorter and then spread out over days. Meaning I wouldn’t have a “flashback” for two, three or eventually even five days.

They seemed to have stopped now as it’s been almost two weeks since my last one, which was very short (about an hour).

I still feel somewhat jittery on occasion and I’m fighting some residual neck pain from the Shingles (a hell all it’s own) but I do feel like I’ve beaten this and my life is returning to normal.

Here are notes you may find helpful (who knows how much all of this varies from person to person):

- My doctor advised me NOT to get back on Gabapentin during all of this based on the idea that I could notice progress towards getting over it. I’m thankful for this because I believe that re-tapering would have just drawn out the hell of withdrawing even longer. I’m not sure how bad it would be though for a long term user???

- My doctor candidly confessed to me that after hearing my (and others’) experience he would NO LONGER BE PRESCRIBING THIS DRUG.

- I did not use ANY other drugs during my withdrawl. I even stopped drinking coffee because there seemed to be a link between the caffeine and the “spells”

- I’m a 34 year old male and otherwise normally healthy with a strong immune system.

I sincerely hope this helps somebody out there...

First Day of Hell

I have a 20 year history of PTSD, Anxiety (SAD, GAD), Agoraphobia, OCD, Panic and MDD(Major Depressive Disorder). I have taken Gabapentin for the past 8 weeks. 1500mgs/day. I decided to wean myself off this drug for 2 reasons. First, I have experienced significant weight gain. I have gained 17lbs. which is 11% of my total body weight in this short time and felt like I was starving the entire time. Secondly, the efficacy was decreasing with break through symptoms. I tapered down 300mgs and within 2 days I experienced rapid onset of symptoms were reappearing. Second taper of additional 300 mgs. 2 days ago resulted in me on 4.29.12 experiencing the worst panic attacks, fear, terror, anxiety I have ever encountered and worst it triggered my PTSD and am experiencing extreme Paranoia. The symptoms were so severe I was tempted to check myself in to the VA Hospital's pysch ward. The terror was indescribable. I suffered from heart palpitations, tachycardia(racing heart) and uncontrollable chills mimicking those of the flu. I quite honestly was developing SI (Suicidal Ideation) and felt this was THE only way to resolve my psychiatric and Cardiac symptoms.

Special Note to the medical student in Pharmacy which quiet frankly I don't believe you are based on your vernacular and immature comments such as LMAO which no med student I have ever known would use unless you are in your first year. I have been in the Medical Field for 20 years. I have known many pharm D's who bluntly shared the "realities" of prescribing drugs. A particular drug affects each individual differently depending on their chemical structures. Prescribers have no idea if the drug will work for a particular individual, what dosage will be the most effective, what the side effects will be and how to effectively manage a titration schedule. You have a very cavalier attitude that will not serve you well in your profession. You will be required to counsel \patients regarding various drugs, their benefits, side effects and withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, the medical providers at the VA failed to explain that I would suffer adverse effects while titrating off Gabapentin. I would not recommend you work for the VA system with your attitude as you will quickly be "schooled" by a Vietnam ERA Veteran suffering from debilitating PTSD compounded by the severe side effects that DO exist. Remember you are in school with zero experience, there are many patients like myself who have suffered tremendously losing many valuable attributes of our lives including destroyed relationships with family, friends and a loved ones to our conditions and suffer from the side effects from countless medications. I leave you Med Student with a quote: "Joe South, who used it in a song called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes"- He sang, "Before you accuse, criticize, and abuse- walk a mile in my shoes"

I thank all the posters in this forum that contributed their feelings and symptoms. I now realize I am not alone. I literally suffered a complete psychiatric break down today and this is only day one. I must grudgingly admit the only way I made it through the day was increased dosages of Diazepam and alcohol. I hope this withdrawal will not last much longer than a few days. I have now learned to ask my medical provider in every instance: "What are the withdrawal symptoms of this drug you are about to prescribe?" I wish everyone the very best who literally goes through hell before resuming their normal lives.

Outstanding thread. I really appreciate your insight. I posted my story below but as a Disabled Veteran I too started day one of HELL. I couldn't understand why things were happening and I finally realized it might be the decrease in Gabapentin. Thank you for insuring me I am not alone. Peace.

I apologize for the strange title, I'm hoping those keywords will help others searching for this info.

I just went through hell on earth withdrawing from Gabapentin and couldn't find much info on how long it would take so I thought I'd post my own experience. I Hope this helps somebody out there.

<snip>

- I’m a 34 year old male and otherwise normally healthy with a strong immune system.

I sincerely hope this helps somebody out there...

I was on 1200mg three times a day for a year and a half. The dulling effect, sleep problems, etc. led me to gradually cut back to 600mg three times for a year. The dull didn't go, and the nerve pain stayed, so I cut back to 300mg three times a day over three weeks, then 300mg twice a day for a week, 300mg once a day for a week, then nothing. As I got to 300mg twice a day, sleep problems increased, late-night anxiety attacks, lack of appetite, depression started hitting hard.

I'm part way through my second week, and the blackest of the black depression seems to have lifted, and the anxiety attacks have subsided. Waves of depression still hit, I still can't eat so I have no energy, and I've lost ten pounds. The only thing that gets me through is my family. My wife is an RN, educated and supportive, my seventeen year old daughter has suffered a some anxiety issues and is a big help. Just sitting on the sofa with them watching a movie in the evening saves me, keeps me centered.

I've never taken drugs, so I have nothing to compare this too, and I've never had mental health issues, so I was seriously stoopid about how tough life can be. This is f**king hell. To those of you who've suffered from anxiety, depression, or have managed to kick a drug addiction and stayed sane, you have my respect. I hope I can do as well.

<edit>
It's now a week later. I've had three good days, yesterday and today in a row, where I feel pretty much like myself. A full night's sleep still eludes me. I'm lucky that I have nine weeks off work to get through this - if I had to earn my living while kicking this "safe" drug, me and my family would be hungry.

<edit 2>
It's nearly a month later, and I'm pretty well clear of the gabapentin insanity. Sleeping well, no anxiety or depression, a clearer head. The pain I originally took the gaba for is back, but nothing like the screaming torture it was a couple of years ago. Given the choice of the pain or the gabapentin, I'll take the pain.

Last edited:
Hello,This is my first post to this forum, I like many others have begun to wean myself off of gabapentin/ Neurontin, I had been taking gabapentin for 10 years 2400 to 3000 miligrams a day, I have been in this process of weaning off of gabapentin for over 11 months now from 2400 to 1200 there were no painful withdrawal but when I tried to go below 1200 to 900 I experienced nausea a lack of appetite and head aches and generally just felt bad. I would put up with the withdrawal for a month and there didn't seem to be any end in sight to the agony so I would up my dose to 1200 for a while just so I could feel reasonable normal with no withdrawal. And then I would try again, I had been taking the whole dose at bedtime to help with sleep but it wasn't untill I split the dose and took 300 in the morning and 600 at bedtime was I able to make any headway still experiencing withdrawal but still determined to wean myself off of this gabapentin. I mentioned to my Doctor that the company that makes gabapentin didn't tell us every thing about this drug when they put this drug on the market, as I was discussing with my doctor the horrable withdrawal I was experiencing she told me about some of her other patients that had to stop taking gabapentin because medicare would no longer pay for this drug. And they had a similar experience with withdrawal as I am experiencing. My doctor was cought off guard did not know about the withdrawal we are having to go through. I started reading the forums and read about the suggestion of taking a magnesium supplement to mitigate the symptoms of withdrawal from gabapentin. And then I remember reading an article about spsom salt which is magnesium sulfate the article seemed to confirm that soaking in epsom salt solution raises the magnesium levels in the body. And that I had cut my arm about the same time I began to wean myself off of gabapentin and I had been soaking my arm in epsom salt as well as soaking in epsom salt solution in my bathtub. So it occured to me that the reason why I didn't experience withdrawal when I weaned my gabapentin down to 1200 milligrams from 2400 was because my body was being infused with magnesium from the epsom salt I had been soaking in and after my cut healed I stoped soaking in epson salt. I have since begun soaking in epsom salt solution again and my withdrawal symptoms have lessoned. And I have begune to wean in ernest now as the withdrawal is much more bearable. I am allso taking a 500 miligram magnesium supplement as well. but I believe the epsom salt works faster than the pill supplement. I am finally down to 100 miligrams a day splitting the dose 33-33-33 miligrams morning noon and bedtime. Today I'm feeling ok at least for the moment. Opened up the cap and split 33-33-33 as best as I could. If all goes well I will stay at this level for 5 or 6 days and cut this by a third 33 in the morning and 33 at bed time. Still taking the 500 miligram Magnesium oxide in the morning. before I take the gabapentin.

This is my story do with it as you will.

Good Luck

I am not a doctor and I realise this may sound so fantastical maybe its just in my head, but whatever works.

Lino120 my friend im in the same situation as you my friend Gabapentin and dihydrocodeine good luck!!!!

I just wanted to let every one to know since I began supplementing with Magnesium, my withdrawal is gone so is my anxiety and depresion. I now supplement with magnesium every day, I have been off gabapentin since Oct. 11.2012. You should know that gabapentin depletes magnesium so it advisable to supplement with magnesium even while taking gabapentin and it will be better to start magnesium before you start your taper. This will help ease any withdrawal you may experience.

To reiterate above posters, suggesting what will help with withdrawals:
alcohol (affects gaba receptors)
baclofen (affects gaba receptors)
benzodiazepines (affects gaba receptors)

what about phenibut (affects gaba receptors)?

it sounds like these things might substitute for each other at least partially. benzos and baclofen are used for alcohol withdrawals. I wouldn't be surprised if gabapentin or phenibut could help alcohol withdrawals too. anyone?

so the point is to use some drug that affects gaba to taper off with.

opiates: useful in tapering off? I'm sure some idiot will say that opiate withdrawals are worse than these gaba withdrawals, but lets be serious. if you're not an opiate addict, you can take some for a week or two and it won't matter. so would it help to cope with the wd? maybe opiates are a good treatment for any kind of withdrawal.

dissociatives: I've heard of use for opiate withdrawal, ketamine, ibogaine, maybe dxm (but its a semi-opiate)? are they used for alcohol wd? that'd mean then that they might work for any gaba withdrawal.

magnesium: I have a feeling that anxiety, depression and bad drug trips are partly mediated by diet. sure if you've experienced trauma, ptsd, you're thinking it's just the experience. but I've read research into vitamins, minerals, amino acids mediating these problems. vitamin D, magnesium, long chain fatty acids. a lot of traumatized depressive crazies and crack heads end up eating SHITTY DIETS. It won't hurt you to eat more meat, liver, eggs, real butter, stuff that is nutritionally dense. fuck the endless ramen noodles. maybe someone else can add to that.

**DISCLAIMER**

If these drugs are taken till the point of dependency, it is my experience, they are magnitudes worse than gabapentin withdrawal. Using these drugs, IMO, is a severe overkill for gabapentin withdrawal. Not to mention proposing the use of potent dissociatives like KETAMINE!?!? Proceed w/ caution.. taper if need be.. have a talk w/ your doctor about weaning/tapering, & ask if you can direct any tapering.. at least if possible; i understand the stigma attached to those Rx'd this med for psychological dysfunction

~

First.. a couple things to note on the above post: DXM is NOT an opiate.. at least pharmacologically speaking. It may share a similar chemical-skeleton, but that's about it; it has closer pharmacology to PCP than it does opiates/opioids. Second, opiates/opioids do not relieve gabapentin withdrawal whatsoever, they act on entirely different receptor systems.. additionally, i am prescribed a potent opioid & experienced gabapentin withdrawal nonetheless.

There is a distinction to be made between the different GABAergics being mentioned to help w/ gabapentin w/d:

GABA-b: baclofen, phenibut, & (not mentioned) GHB, GVL, along w/ other GABA & GHB related-analogs are all examples of GABA-b agonists. It should be noted that there is a huge difference between these centrally acting drugs & GABA-a agonists.. (GABA-b agonists are more likely to treat withdrawal from GABA-a PAM's/agonists, rather than vice versa. Actually, you need quite absurd doses of GABA-a PAMs/agonists to alleviate GABA-b w/d... so play very, VERY safe if GABA-b agonists are used); Also, the GABA-b receptor functions as a metabotropic receptor (compared to the very quite different GABA-a receptor, which is ionotropic). Metabotropic & ionotropic receptors function QUITE differently.

GABA-a: Substances acting here, act on receptors that in turn are ionotropic and function as a ligand-gated ion channels to mediate their neurological action. Meaning in presence of a ligand (or a drug--such as benzodiazepines, barbiturates, nonbenzodiazepines, or ethanol), the "channel" (or "pore") literally opens up & chlorine ions are released.. resulting in an end-result of an electrical action & thus a neurological reaction.

Barbiturates bind here, as do benzodiazepines & nonbenzodiazepines; of which, they either increase the duration of channel openings or increase the frequency of channel opening, respectively. It should be noted that endogenous GABA, barbiturates, & benzodiazepines (including nonbenzodiazepines) all act on different binding sites, or "types", of GABA-a receptors, which in turn include different subunits/types, which in turn induce different psychological effects.. drugs like these aren't direct agonists at binding sites, but rather, GABA-a "PAMs" (positive allosteric modular), "modulate" or "change" how endogenous neurotransmitters act at the end-binding site.

Other GABA-a acting drugs include some carbamates like meprobamate & carisoprodol--although their specific binding profile is unknown. Given my own experience with both of them (and withdrawal from them), i'd wager they're closer in their pharmacodynamics to barbiturates (as i have experience w/ these drugs & withdrawal from them as well) than they do benzodiazepines. Ethanol is suspected to be more similar in its action to benzodiazepines; but w/ much more generalized/less selective effects than traditional benzodiazepines (some benzodiazepine binding sites at GABA-a are useless for recreation or for treating withdrawal); ethanol also has even more generalized neuroactivity as it is also suspected (although never seriously studied in vivo to determine pharmacodynamics): including, but not limited to, activity at D2 receptors & NMDA antagonism.

To reiterate above posters, suggesting what will help with withdrawals:
alcohol (affects gaba receptors)
baclofen (affects gaba receptors)
benzodiazepines (affects gaba receptors)

what about phenibut (affects gaba receptors)?

it sounds like these things might substitute for each other at least partially. benzos and baclofen are used for alcohol withdrawals. I wouldn't be surprised if gabapentin or phenibut could help alcohol withdrawals too. anyone?

so the point is to use some drug that affects gaba to taper off with.

opiates: useful in tapering off? I'm sure some idiot will say that opiate withdrawals are worse than these gaba withdrawals, but lets be serious. if you're not an opiate addict, you can take some for a week or two and it won't matter. so would it help to cope with the wd? maybe opiates are a good treatment for any kind of withdrawal.

dissociatives: I've heard of use for opiate withdrawal, ketamine, ibogaine, maybe dxm (but its a semi-opiate)? are they used for alcohol wd? that'd mean then that they might work for any gaba withdrawal.

magnesium: I have a feeling that anxiety, depression and bad drug trips are partly mediated by diet. sure if you've experienced trauma, ptsd, you're thinking it's just the experience. but I've read research into vitamins, minerals, amino acids mediating these problems. vitamin D, magnesium, long chain fatty acids. a lot of traumatized depressive crazies and crack heads end up eating SHITTY DIETS. It won't hurt you to eat more meat, liver, eggs, real butter, stuff that is nutritionally dense. fuck the endless ramen noodles. maybe someone else can add to that.

Last edited: