• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Origin Of A Combo (T's & Blues)

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
The information about different drug combinations generally is limited to slang terms and the actual combination; possibly pharmacologic information, but that's usually it. Very little information is together on how, why and where drug combinations are developed. Here's my amateur attempt at describing the origins of T's And Blues- Pentazocine and Tripellenamine.

Pentazocine is a partial-agonist synthetic opioid of the Benzomorphan family. It was originally created in 1958, and began to be used in medical practice around the world in 1967. Brand names include Talwin and Talacen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentazocine

Tripellenamine is a first generation Ethylenediamine-class Anti-Histamine. It has been replaced by newer classes of Histamine antagonists, but was one of the first to be created and used medicinally (created in 1943). Brand names include Pyribenzamine (PBZ) and Pelamine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyribenzamine

The Intravenous combination of Pentazocine + Tripellenamine was a sort of fad among certain segments of the Heroin using population of the US from the 1970's to 1980's. It was said to be used by Heroin addicts in place of Heroin when it either wasn't available to the user, or they couldn't afford it.

The combinations main slang name is T's And Blues. T for the first letter of the common brand name for Pentazocine, Talwin, and Blues for the color of the Tripellenamine tablets.

Other variations of this slang term and other slang terms for this combination include:

T's and B's, Tease and Pies, Teddies and Bettys, Tops and Bottoms, Tricycles and Bicycles.

http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/herpes/l/blsldicher.htm

To get to the origins of T's & Blues, you first have to discover an earlier drug combination: Blue Velvet (IV injection of Paregoric & Tripellenamine)

Administration of paregoric is described in a report from the Narcotics Bureau, Detroit Police Department, November 8, 1962: "Addicts do not drink this drug, but instead, boil it down, strain it to remove camphor, and then inject the remaining liquid containing the narcotic directly into the blood stream."

A more detailed description from one of the more articulate paregoric users follows. A bottle containing 2 ounces of paregoric is emptied into a small pan, and heated on a stove. Simultaneously, the top of the liquid is ignited. It might then be boiled to dryness and reconstituted with a small amount of water. Other users boiled the original paregoric solution to a turbid constituency. It is then allowed to cool. Camphor (no longer in solution) floats to the top of the mixture, and is removed with cotton. The remaining fluid is aspirated through cotton into a medicine dropper or insulin syringe. A 24-26 gauge needle is usually employed.

. . .

Detroit, the fifth largest city in the United States, is the center of the automobile manufacturing industry and has a population of 2.6 million. Its people are mostly working in this or closely allied industries. Marginal unskilled workers feel small fluctuations in the economy acutely, and even during periods of prosperity a large indigent depressed group is present. From this group come the bulk of narcotics users. 4 They live in the central core of the city extending northward from the Detroit River which separates Windsor, Ontario, in Canada from the United States (figures 1 and 2).

. . .

Paregoric users were wont to mix this preparation with the antihistaminic tripelennamine hydrochloride (pyribenzamine hydrochloride). The resultant concoction has a bluish color, and hence was known as "blue velvet." Pyribenzamine is a non-exempt drug in Detroit, but does not require a physician's prescription in Windsor, Canada. Thus, in the immediate Detroit area narcotics users could amply supply their habit and entice new persons to it without violation of the law.

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1966-01-01_3_page004.html#s050

The link above is excellent, in that it outlines the narcotics situation in the US with regards to Paregoric following the Harrison Narcotics And Tax Act of 1914 which ended Over The Counter sale of Opiates, Opioids, Cocaine, Cannabis. However, Paregoric (Camphorated Tincture Of Opium, containing 16mg powdered Opium per 4ml; 1.6mg Morphine per 4ml) was given "exempt" status in a number of states, and in these states, it could be purchased by asking the Pharmacist and signing a log (an individual could not buy more than 2 ounces of Paregoric from a pharmacy in a 48 hour period).

Michigan was one such state where Paregoric was an exempt narcotic, available OTC. As the article states, Detroit, Michigan is very close to Windsor, Canada. Even today Canada sells anti-Histamines OTC that are Prescription-Only in the US (such as Orphenadrine and Promethazine).

So from, at the latest, the 1940's there developed a fad among a segment of the Heroin addict population of the US, in certain states (but specifically Detroit, MI) to inject Paregoric when Heroin was unavailable or the user couldn't afford it.

The Anti-Histamines were a new class of drugs in the early 1940's. They were revolutionary; as up until then, Amphetamines and Opioids were typically used to treat hay fever, allergies, etc.

Though there is an interesting aspect to the Anti-Histamines as it relates to Heroin addicts.

William S. Burroughs describes in his first novel Junky, in detail, the use of Anti-Histamines to 'cure' Heroin addiction. Junky was written about the life of Burroughs circa 1944-1950. At one point Burroughs is admitted to a Sanitarium for Heroin addiction, where he arranges to get a shot of Meperidine (Demerol). After a couple days of reduced dosage Demerol injections, his doctor gives him something else: an injection of a first-generation Anti-Histamine, Thephorin. He describes the effect it has on his withdrawals and the Morphine-like feeling following the injection. He goes on to write that at this time, the Anti-Histamines were considered a promising new way to cure Heroin addiction (due to the Histamine-overload during acute withdrawal syndrome).

Knowledge of the effects of Anti-Histamines, specifically as it relates to Heroin addiction, may have spread to Heroin addicts in the Detroit, Michigan area. As the early Anti-Histamines were prescription-only in the US, addicts would have to travel to Windsor, Canada, where they were freely available without a prescription OTC.

While in a period of deprivation, my guess is that an individual Heroin addict attempted to try the Anti-Histamines for his withdrawal sickness, along with his usual injection of treated Paregoric. The resulting effect of the simultaneous injection of Paregoric & Tripellenamine being superior to a Paregoric-only injection, the user spread by word of mouth news of the combination to other local addicts, and so the trend manifested itself. It is likely that multiple individuals acting without communication with the others experimented on their own, and independantly discovered the combination and its effects.

This combination, known as Blue Velvet remained popular, especially in the Detroit, MI area until the mid-1960s when Paregoric exemptions were withdrawn nationwide.

In the late 1960's, Pentazocine came on the market. Like other new synthetic opioids, Pentazocine was treated as a non-addictive, or less addictive opioid than Morphine, Heroin, Meperidine, Methadone, etc. (Similar treatment was given to Propoxyphene, Tramadol, etc).

Because of this, it was a popular drug for doctors to prescribe for routine pain. Even into the 1980's, Tripellenamine was still a fairly common prescription Anti-Histamine prescribed to people complaining of allergies, hay fever, etc.

This combination of easy availability, under developedunderstanding of opioids and addiction/abuse liability, and most importantly the existing history of the Blue Velvet combination among Heroin addict lore led to the development of the T's & Blues combination.

By the mid 1970's, news reports sensationalizing the combination made it even more popular. It was found that poor Heroin addicts were using Medicaid to get free prescriptions of Pentazocine and Tripellenamine (sometimes in the same visit) to inject at their leisure. This realization led to a decline in prescribing these two drugs. A number of deaths and horrible health consequences from injection of Pentazocine + Tripellenamine eventually lead to the manufacturer of Talwin to introduce the first Opioid + Antagonist combination pill to dissuade people from injecting them: Talwin NX- Pentazocine & Naloxone.

By the early 1980's, newer generation Anti-Histamines were being used in place of Tripellenamine, and Talwin-NX had all but replaced plain Talwin. These events ended the fad that was T's & Blues.

Real interesting read. I was always curious about those. I only knew bits and pieces about T's and Blues because when I was in detox two years ago some old guy told me about that shit. This filled in the gaps for me.

It's such a trip thinking about drug use before the internet. I mean, I have plenty of friends that get drug knowledge only from High Times and word-of-mouth (the same people that are scared of OC, but turn into Percocet Monsters when it comes around). But, I have to wonder if I'd be using beer and cigs exclusively if born in the 1970s.

I also find it interesting, the paregoric extract/antihistamine combo called "Blue Velvet" as that was one of the flavors of "Nuke" in RoboCop 2. The fictional designer drug had d,l-amph and scopalamine among the ingredients, but I'm always amazed at how deep the mecha design and symbolism of even the commercials in RoboCop are. Since it takes place in Detroit, I like to think it could be an intentional reference. Nuke was definitely marketed to the poor in Old Detroit, though the stimulating BV might reflect the media coverage of uppers like coke, freebase, and MDMA in the late 80s.

Not much else to say. I'm just always interested in reading about opioid-related things.

Last edited:
For US Heroin addicts pre-1970, journalists and writers like to romantacise New York City as the cultural center of US Heroin culture of the 1920s-1960s.

I definitely think the actual 'hub' of Heroin culture was the Lexington Narcotics Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.

Up until MMT in the late '60s, the only place in the US a Heroin addict could go and get a reduction treatment (i.e. using an opioid to treat opioid addiction) was Lexington Narcotic Hospital. Burroughs talks about it in detail in Junky.

Addicts from all over the country all converged on this one place, and within would talk to other addicts from all over the country about different trends, different ways to use, etc. Burroughs talks about people in the recreation room in one corner talking about how to shoot Paregoric (as related earlier in my post), another group talking about how to scam doctors, etc

Since the Heroin culture was very small then compared to today, it seems that addicts commonly filtered back and forth to and from Lexington Hospital back to their hometown, bringing stories and trends with them.

It would be like having only one detox center, rehab facility + maintenance clinic in the US, with every single Heroin/opioid addict going there at one point or another. In the days before mass communication, this is how these sorts of trends manifested and spread.

Even in the internet age, simpler means of communication (word of mouth) are the main tool by which this sort of thing is spread. The internet just lets certain people who are not in a particular scene look in on what certain people were doing at one point (best example being the huge number of threads by teenage white suburban kids wanting to know how to make 'lean').

Did you read the numberes posted in ADD re: Tripplenamine?

It's a decently potent 5HT RI and also DARI. I would be surprised if tripplenamine wasn't euphoric IV'd on it's own. And I don't mean euphoric in that fake sort of way diphenhydramine is.

Did you read the numberes posted in ADD re: Tripplenamine?

It's a decently potent 5HT RI and also DARI. I would be surprised if tripplenamine wasn't euphoric IV'd on it's own. And I don't mean euphoric in that fake sort of way diphenhydramine is.

I haven't, but will check it out.

I've strayed from talking about Anti-Histamine euphoria, however find it to be a very real aspect of certain chemicals. Phenyltoloxamine (oral) and Cyclizine (oral, IV) have both exhibited this in my experience with them.

I've seen some vague articles online that link euphoria only with early/1st generation Ethanolamine anti-histamines; though this doesn't seem to be the case.

I wanted to add this in the original post, but I couldn't find it when I made this thread. Now I found it! Some proof of the origins and spread. Specifically, that the legal situation of these 2 substances in the early-mid 1970's in the US (both un-Scheduled, both commonly prescribed) and the ease to get them (Medicaid coverage for both including Dr visits and Rx's, and the loose scripting situation) contributed massively to its spread from a localized, single-city problem (Detroit, MI- a place where Blue Velvet originated as earlier explained) to a nationwide problem (I have come across toxicology/forensic science journal articles from the late '70s/early '80s that had references to deaths from IV injection of Tripellenamine & Pentazocine in Washington, DC and other cities- but again, couldn't find them in time for this thread, or even this post :().

NBC Evening News

10/08/1978

(Studio) Discovery of both researchers and drug pushers that mixture of 2 legal pills produces heroin substitute reported
REPORTER: Jessica Savitch

(Chicago, Illinois) Pills mixed to produce substitute for heroin reported to be legal, inexpensive prescription drugs, Talwin and Pyribenzamine. Decr. in availability of heroin supplies in cities like Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans and pushers' turn to T's and Blues instead noted. House narcotics abuse select committee probe of ways to federal restrict use of Talwin stated. [DEA admin. Peter BENSINGER - says this is no longer single-city problem and is arising from lack of serious penalty.] Disagreement with this view by Dr. Robert Speir, medical director for Winthrop Labs which is sole manufacturer of Talwin, mentioned. [SPEIR - states position that it is localized problem and not like that of narcotics around cntry.] Use of Medicaid funds to provide T's and Blues to drug addicts complaining of backaches and colds detailed. Expected classification of Talwin as federal controlled substance by end of year reported
REPORTER: Norma Quarles

http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/program.pl?ID=496527