• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Guide to insufflation

Tsukasa

Bluelighter
Railing is a much more complicated process than most people think it is. Here's a few pointers on how to get the most of your snorting experience. Please feel free to add to this.

What to use: Just holding your nose up to the powder isn't the most practical way. It's best to use a narrow tube. What I did was take a plastic pen (transparent ones are the coolest), that you can dissasemble. Take out everything and keep the plastic shell of the ink container. Get some kind of serrated blade and cut it down to a reasonable size. Mine is about the length of my pinky. It obviously needs to be open on both ends. Make sure the edges are smooth so they don't scrape the insides of your nose.

Technique You must first check which one of your nostrils is more open. You are only breathing fully through one nostril at the time, and they alternate over time. So close nostril, breathe, then close the other one and breathe again. The one that pulls more air through is the one you want to be snorting with.

Next you want to prepare your substance. Make sure it's as fine as possible (assuming it's powder, not liquid), with no chunks or beads. Preferably put it on the a smooth surface. You can make lines if you'd like so you can do it all up in one motion . Insert your snortube into the proper nostril, hold shut the other nostril, hold other end of snortube to substance, and breathe in lightly. If you do it too hard it will go too far back and just drip down your esophagus. If you do it too lightly it may fall out of your nose or not get deep enough to get absorbed.

Right after it's done, DO NOT exhale through your nose. That may also cause it to fall out. Exhale through your mouth and wait for the come-up or at least the onset which is close to immediate anyway. You may also want to snort a few drops of water, after washing your hands or something. It can aid absorption.

Clean out your nose after using. I like to using Saline nasal spray throughout my day/night of snorting drugs. I really can't stress this enough.. I have been snorting drugs (oxycodone daily for 9 months and coke off/on for a few months) and have a dent/hole forming in my septum.

+ If you are using straws to snort your drugs, I suggest changing them out every once in a while.. Bacteria will grow on anything- so just buy a box of straws and use a new one every now and again.

+ Keep in mind, a cut straw = paraphernalia. Dispose of all pieces of straws or whatever else might look like an aide in snorting as you could be charged for possession of drug paraphernalia.. plus if a cop sees a straw in your car he will have a reason to search your vehicle.
- BaybeX

To crush pills, the quickest way is to use a pill crusher - captain.Heroin. But as Johnny blue reported, a cheese grate may be even better. You can end up with powder almost the consistency of confectionary sugar.

Safety

be aware that many diseases can be transfered through nasal fluids. ---> dont use bills (tubes and so on...) that have been going through x hands/noses. the best is to have your own private "snorting-tube" - brainbug

You do not want to do large amounts at a time. It may clog, and make you unable to breath through your nose or the septum and waste a large amount. The substance, more or less with what kind, will most likely rape and burn your nostrils by activating pain receptors. You most definately do not want to be snorting things like methadone or cheese, because those can be extremely painful. Some substances like pregabalin (lyrica) have an almost non-existant burn. Snuff can be quite painful.

It is reccomended to take a 72 hour break between sessions to let your nose recover. Doing it too often may damage the lining in your nose, causing nose bleeds, infections, and eventually your nose will fall off 8o There may also be some damage to olfactory receptors, so your sense of smell would become dulled.

Other tips

- Morphine has a very poor bioavailability when snorted (10-20%), but when combined with chitosan (a linear polysaccharide available in supplement form) can raise the bioavailability to over 60%.

- Avoid railing street drugs unless it's from a trusted source. Some asshole may decide to cut it with fiberglass or something for the lulz.

- Black tar heroin can be made snortable by cutting it with sugar or some other powdery substance, after dissolving the tar in a tiny amount of liquid such as water. It can also be snorted in it's liquid form, with an eyedropper, and can be contained in those dropper bottles along with the dropper as the lid. It will save you the time of waiting for it to dry and probably absorbs much better.

- Cocaine, while being good snorted, actually has a much greater bioavailability and rush when freebased.

- Hydromorphone and oxymorphone are best insufflated, if you don't have needles.

List of snortable substances:

- Cocaine - 30-60% bio
- Opiates -
- Derivatives or analogues of morphine and codeine (includes some forms of heroin)
- Piperidine derivatives (like sufentanyl) - nasal bio around 78%. Reccomended to be extremely careful due to the high potency.
- Some lipid soluble benzodiazepines like Midazolam and Clonazepam (klonopin)
- Amphetamines - be sure to crush all the beads if you're using pharmaceutical amps. nasal bio is 75% for amps, 79% for [+]methamp
- Ketamines - 25-50% nasal bio vs 20±7% oral
- Snuff tobacco

List of non-snortable drugs
- Tramadol (ultram) - very poor nasal bioavailability
- Methadone class compounds - only because they're extremely painful
- Zolpidem (ambien) - Can be snorted, but very painful. Not reccomended
- Diphenhydramine - House is an idiot for doing it. Burns, and not worth the effort.

Last edited:
Seems like a good guide, thanks for posting this Tsukasa! I want to look up some of the stuff on here to check it, like only one nostril being used for breathing at a time..it kinda makes sense since it seems like I really only use one nostril at a given moment to breathe through my nose, but I've never really heard this stated as fact.

I wanted to add that black tar heroin is soluble in water without any powder or sugar added, you just put about a mL of water with your tar, heat and stir, and its ready to be picked up with an eyedropper and dropped into the nose, or snorted right off of the spoon.

Alternately with tar (or this works with powder dope too), put the heroin in an Afrin bottle, or other pump action nasal spray bottle with warm water. Make sure to wash the afrin out first before you do this, though. Then cap the bottle, and shake until you no longer hear the rock clattering around inside of the bottle. Then you are ready to spray away!

Oh, and tsukasa, what does your name mean? It seems japanese, but when I pronounce it, it sounds like "su casa", which is Spanish for "your/his/her house".

its a shame that common sense stuff like how to snort something is a mystery to some ppl. but looking at how many threads are started each week here in OD on how to snort(insert drug) whatever. good looking out for ppl with half the brain to not know how to snort something

please add this to "safety":
be aware that many diseases can be transfered through nasal fluids. ---> dont use bills (tubes and so on...) that have been going through x hands/noses. the best is to have your own private "snorting-tube".

but looking at how many threads are started each week here in OD on how to snort(insert drug) whatever. good looking out for ppl with half the brain to not know how to snort something

thats a good thing. at least these people are asking others before doing smth. totally stupid ;)
--->"harm reduction"

Great point brain bug. If I can make a couple suggestions first you can use post-its as disposable snorting straws. I got that somewhere on here I'm not sure from who though.

Second, you can use a couple different things to turn pills to powder. I find especially with oxycontin having something like a hose clamp or even better the metal grater from a callus remover. You can get a callus remover from any drugstore for cheap and alls you have to do is remove the metal portion off the stick and voila. This is extremely popular around my way with pillheads and most including myself will go buy one if they don't have it just to use because its that much better. Any cheese grater like thing works great but I recommend a callus remover as its already pocket size.

If I can make a couple suggestions first you can use post-its as disposable snorting straws.

hahah thats awesome I thought I was the only one that used post its to sniff with, thats sweet, :)
I just randomly had them around during a oxymorph session and thought they would be great, started using them, they worked great and I've never turned back:)

Second, you can use a couple different things to turn pills to powder. I find especially with oxycontin having something like a hose clamp or even better the metal grater from a callus remover. You can get a callus remover from any drugstore for cheap and alls you have to do is remove the metal portion off the stick and voila. This is extremely popular around my way with pillheads and most including myself will go buy one if they don't have it just to use because its that much better. Any cheese grater like thing works great but I recommend a callus remover as its already pocket size.

Why not just use a pill crusher? It only takes 3 seconds to powderize anything.

True but i find grating the pills works even better. You end up with powder almost the consistency of confectionary (sp?) sugar. Try it dude, I'm wouldn't stear ya wrong=D

Good poast and advice.

I'd also agree with not doing too much at once because its totally possible that halfway through the rail you clog up and you end up wasting a large portion. But too small and you can close up quick and you only have two holes at best to begin with.

Although I'd beg to differ on the thin tube theory. I think something larger is actually better because it allows for more intake at once, and more of your air pressure will go through the tube.

I prefer straws from 7-11 slurpee's. I cut em down to 3" sizes and save em. Fills almost the whole nostril which makes the job easier.

I disagree with the OPs comment on only one nostril being available at a time.. I can close either nostril and be able to breathe out of the other one.. unless I was on a super coke binge the night before or something.

Some further suggestions:

+ Clean out your nose after using. I like to using Saline nasal spray throughout my day/night of snorting drugs. I really can't stress this enough.. I have been snorting drugs (oxycodone daily for 9 months and coke off/on for a few months) and have a dent/hole forming in my septum. :\

+ If you are using straws to snort your drugs, I suggest changing them out every once in a while.. Bacteria will grow on anything- so just buy a box of straws and use a new one every now and again.

+ Keep in mind, a cut straw = paraphernalia. Dispose of all pieces of straws or whatever else might look like an aide in snorting as you could be charged for possession of drug paraphernalia.. plus if a cop sees a straw in your car he will have a reason to search your vehicle.

OP: You may want to add a list of drugs that are/aren't worth snorting. =] PM me if you need some help with that as I know there are mannnyyyy.

I disagree with the OPs comment on only one nostril being available at a time.. I can close either nostril and be able to breathe out of the other one.. unless I was on a super coke binge the night before or something.

Some further suggestions:

+ Clean out your nose after using. I like to using Saline nasal spray throughout my day/night of snorting drugs. I really can't stress this enough.. I have been snorting drugs (oxycodone daily for 9 months and coke off/on for a few months) and have a dent/hole forming in my septum. :\

OP: You may want to add a list of drugs that are/aren't worth snorting. =] PM me if you need some help with that as I know there are mannnyyyy.

Only one nostril is fully open at a time. You can still breathe through the other one, but not as well as through the other one. It has something to do with the septum I believe. Therefore it's better to snort with the one that's more open. If I do it with the other one, the substance is capture with snot and doesn't get in far enough to get the full effect. This alternation also may have something to do with brain hemisphere dominance. I'll look for some more information.

I'll put in the other suggestions. Thank you for your contribution.

Excellent guide. The most fascinating part is the part about how even if both nostrils are clear, you only breath through one at a time. Both of mine are perfectly clear so I checked to see if that was the case, and lo and behold, it is! That's crazy. Currently I am breathing through my right nostril, if anyone cares.

Anyways, good work. This is a good asset to OD.

Excellent guide. The most fascinating part is the part about how even if both nostrils are clear, you only breath through one at a time. Both of mine are perfectly clear so I checked to see if that was the case, and lo and behold, it is! That's crazy. Currently I am breathing through my right nostril, if anyone cares.

Anyways, good work. This is a good asset to OD.

Haha, I care 6/7. =D I'm also breathing through my right nostril.. I think. That is an interesting fact, OP. I really was trying to see what you meant the other day and I guess I couldn't decipher whether I was breathing better out of one nostril or the other. Anyway, I would still suggest that people switch up and clean their nostrils every session.. as you WILL damage your septum (and I'm sure other parts).

Great point brain bug. If I can make a couple suggestions first you can use post-its as disposable snorting straws. I got that somewhere on here I'm not sure from who though.

totally - i use plastic straws and just cut them down to 2" or so

I use an ice cream scoop as a base and then the round end of the handle of a cheese spreader and it's practically a morter and pestal. than I just tap it to losen up the powder and snort it straight from there.