• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Nitrous Oxide) - Experienced - Life Changing Problems

Just straight up amazing. And I was captivated the whole time.
I would really enjoy hearing more about your experiences with Gascid. If there are reports, someone PLEASE direct me to them.

And I know it doesn't help, but I read an article recently about research being done on electromagnetic stimulation for chronic neuropathic pain. Just know that there IS hope out there, if it's just out of reach at the moment. Sincere sorrows and best wishes for ya.

EDIT: hardee-har-har I didn't realize there were more pages to this thread. don't bother telling me where to find more trip reports. 8)

Just straight up amazing. And I was captivated the whole time.
I would really enjoy hearing more about your experiences with Gascid. If there are reports, someone PLEASE direct me to them.

And I know it doesn't help, but I read an article recently about research being done on electromagnetic stimulation for chronic neuropathic pain. Just know that there IS hope out there, if it's just out of reach at the moment. Sincere sorrows and best wishes for ya.

EDIT: hardee-har-har I didn't realize there were more pages to this thread. don't bother telling me where to find more trip reports. 8)

Thanks - It really brings me a lot of peace when I hear that people have read this whole post, and are still doing so. I appreciate the comments a lot.

Thanks for the info on the EM therapy. I hadn't heard of this - but I'm a bit out of the loop. Much of the problem for me is money. The things that *do* help with the pain - other than painkillers - are things like massage - but I just can't afford it - and for it to be effective, I would need it regularly. I guess it's more acupressure than massage - or a mix. I do a lot of my own therapy - but unfortunately, because of the nature of the beast - even if I get myself into reasonable shape by the end of the day, it starts all over in the morning.

At the moment I'm going through a 'good' phase - and it's lasted a couple of weeks. There are certain triggers that set it off - but I'm pretty careful. Yoga is great, and pot helps guide the Yoga a lot.

But thank you. I'm making a contact list of people that are interested in reading more. I'll add you to it, and will let you know if I post anything of relevance or significance. Having told the story that far - I don't know where my next entry point would be. I did post another (short) one on an acid trip in Amsterdam. I think it's called LSD & the Ultimate Truth. It's pretty funny.

Go Well.

Loved this story. I would really like to have you tell it on my radio show on thursday nights. PM me if you would like to do this!

TMP,

Your story is incredible in its uniqueness, and commendable in its spirit and effort to systematically characterize and share an understanding of the brain's abilities, and indeed perhaps its relation to the mechanics of the Universe at large.

From what I know about biology and pharmacology, however, it may not be the nitrous that caused damage. The effects of nitrous are not cumulative over a period of years, nor do I believe that brain cells die due to exposure to NO2. They definitely die in hypoxia conditions, which are definitely prone to occurring when using nitrous, but not necessarily so (especially if one has a pure oxygen tank as well). However, the intentional hypoxia you induced for several days seemed to immediately effect your cognition, and land you in the hospital a few days later.

It is clear that the nitrous is addictive; in fact, I bought my first 24-case of whippets about two or three weeks ago, and each time I used some of the 9 I have used, it needed to be a firm decision not to take another tempting hit. It's extremely comfortable and beautiful, and yes, very powerful.

Using it as frequently as you did, it would no doubt cause a change in the brain to re-regulate receptor sensitivities, making you 'dependent' on it. Some neurotransmitter dependencies seem to be more dangerous than others; it is possible to die from benzodiazepine withdrawl (GABA), while usually even the worst opiate withdrawls are merely hellish but not deadly. NO2's effect on NDMA receptors may be one of the kinds of withdrawls that will pretty much make you crazy, if not kill you by itself.

Did you notice any neurological effects any time in the prior many years? Or, did everything come collapsing down over only the three days that you were trying to get the very most out of the nitrous you could afford?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your story!

TMP,

Your story is incredible in its uniqueness, and commendable in its spirit and effort to systematically characterize and share an understanding of the brain's abilities, and indeed perhaps its relation to the mechanics of the Universe at large.

From what I know about biology and pharmacology, however, it may not be the nitrous that caused damage. The effects of nitrous are not cumulative over a period of years, nor do I believe that brain cells die due to exposure to NO2. They definitely die in hypoxia conditions, which are definitely prone to occurring when using nitrous, but not necessarily so (especially if one has a pure oxygen tank as well). However, the intentional hypoxia you induced for several days seemed to immediately effect your cognition, and land you in the hospital a few days later.

It is clear that the nitrous is addictive; in fact, I bought my first 24-case of whippets about two or three weeks ago, and each time I used some of the 9 I have used, it needed to be a firm decision not to take another tempting hit. It's extremely comfortable and beautiful, and yes, very powerful.

Using it as frequently as you did, it would no doubt cause a change in the brain to re-regulate receptor sensitivities, making you 'dependent' on it. Some neurotransmitter dependencies seem to be more dangerous than others; it is possible to die from benzodiazepine withdrawl (GABA), while usually even the worst opiate withdrawls are merely hellish but not deadly. NO2's effect on NDMA receptors may be one of the kinds of withdrawls that will pretty much make you crazy, if not kill you by itself.

Did you notice any neurological effects any time in the prior many years? Or, did everything come collapsing down over only the three days that you were trying to get the very most out of the nitrous you could afford?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your story!

Thank you for your very coherent response. Even though this story was a very long post - it is still a very brief synopsis of what actually happened. My final period of abuse was longer than 3 days - I only described the final 3 days.

To try and answer your question as succinctly as possible - I would say that a) Despite some serious overuse in previous times - I never suffered any noticeable long term effects. In short - a few days of Nitrous abuse will not cause the kind of hypoxia that will cause serious long term damage.

I was abusing the nitrous for about 3 months - the last month went over the top - the final week, a nightmare. I pushed it way too far - I could tell - but I had no avenue of salvation. It's highly unlikely that anyone else - in this day and age - would get to the point that I got without either someone noticing - or getting help. I was the strangest kind of hermit - extremely practiced at hiding myself from others. And the level of abuse was born of complete and absolute obsession. I went nuts. I belived for a while that I could truly understand the nature of the universe and explain it to others. A noble obsession perhaps - but nonetheless as destructive as any can be.

It is likely that if nitrous had not been the costly thing that it was - I might have breathed enough air in between - or if I had access to an oxygen tank - been able to counter the deletarious effects of depriving my brain so completely of oxygen.

The oxygen - or the lack of it - was the key factor in what happened. No-one else need ever suffer in the way that I have. The information is now available. At the time - it was not.

An absolutely incredible and moving post. As long as it was, at the end I wished there was more!!

If society were to sort people according to personality, ideology, attitude and interests, we would certainly be shipped off to the same island. After reading I was imagining how cool it would have been to have a guru like you to lead me through some of my earlier experiences with drugs (and a fearless pupil I would have been).

I especially liked the bit in the dentist's chair as a child where you pinpointed the birth of your addiction. I too can recall my first foray into that world when my father (a doctor) gave me half a Lortab for a bad cough at around the same age. Playing Super Mario Bros. (the original) had never been quite so enjoyable. ;)

I had one question for you if you don't mind - what happened with the relationship with your wife? Are you still together? I'm interested because my wife and I also disagree at times on the role of drugs in a happy existence.

Thank you for sharing your story. I think by doing so you've prevented other people from going down that same road. It goes to show that even the most seemingly benign drugs have serious consequences if abused. I'm sure it's a small solace against the incomprehensible amount of pain you've endured, but at least you can know that some good has emerged from your mistakes.

And I think that "epiphony" is my new favorite false word :)

i just want to ask you, do you regret anything? if anything at all? something you'd change in your day to day actions?

Although I am new to bluelight, I have a feeling that this will probably be the most amazing post that I will ever read here. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing story.

I too have experienced gascid(but only once). In fact, this was my first time using both nitrous and LSD!

God bless you (if you're in to that) Prankster for the GREAT post. Certainly one of the best posts I've seen on Bluelight thus far (lurking for a year).

I speak for myself and for many other novice/experienced psychonauts on the fact that I would love to hear a trip report on this "gascid" combination.

Excellent read, Prankster. Not many lengthy posts hold the attention but that one certainly does. Good tale well told :)

And on the "gascid" thing - never called it that but LSD + nitrous is pretty damn fine. Add in some 2C-B and ket and it's even more damn fine =D

AMAZZZZZZZZZING read :)
well sad tho...
i kinda wanna try the gascid thing now tho.... lol, just not as much as u have obviously :)

TMP, really great post and report, originally saw it on Erowid.org

I recently abused nitrous to the extent where I believe my body suffered an allergic reaction.

After having inhaled approximately 900 cannisters over something like 48-72 hours (from when I woke, to when I went to bed) I experienced a state of derealization.

I was in bed trying to get to sleep and was experiencing a tingling, buzzing in my brain (it felt as if I was able to feel my brain slipping into a Theta state), followed by a hypnotic state (something which I have experienced before, in periods of deep meditation and self-hypnosis - most psychonauts recognize this as bottoming-out). My heart rate and breathing rate shot through the roof, I was having a full blown panic attack, as much as I tried I couldn't relax - my cat who was sleeping beside me actually woke up and came and lay right next to me (marginally comforting, but I was still in a bad way). During this time all the usual stuff like ego-disintegration happened, and at one point I felt like I was able to pinpoint my own self's location in my brain. It was an extremely strange experience, and a good way to describe it is: I was unconscious, yet conscious at the same time. At the time, it was a fascinating, yet frightening insight into perspective, psyche, what it was to be, what it was to be me and what it was that made me me!

For the next few days after I was undoubtedly experiencing withdrawal from excessive usage.
The derealization that happened as I was going to sleep was permanent and prolonged over 2 or 3 days.
Waking up genuinely felt like looking through a window on my own existence, severe disassociation people!
This was an extremely disturbing time for me, and it honestly felt like I was an alien. Just looking at people, faces and bodies accentuated this feeling - truly truly odd.

Additionally, it felt as if part of my CNS had been affected. I can't remember the exact part of it from my biology classes, but I believe its the autonomic part which controls bowel movements, etc etc. So this was manifested in stomach pain and not being able to eat properly. Pissing also felt very strange, can't quite work this one out.

Since the period after which my body had flushed the gas build-up, I have returned to my relatively normal self, but at the time it did indeed feel like I had experienced brain damage, and that I would not return back to my normal state.

Reading your post was fantastic, for educational purposes as well as enjoyment. The internet community at large is indebted to you and others who have the presence of mind to share vital information that was not available to them at the time, in order to prevent the negative consequences of not being properly informed from harming others. There's nowhere near enough information on cumulative build-up of nitrous and its effects. Thanks to you and others hopefully people will avoid using this drug in this damaging way.

One thing's for sure - I will never binge out on NOS again, on my last cannister I actually felt unbelievably relieved that I had run-out as my body was telling me I had done too much.

Last edited:
The pain you experience is Peripheral Neuropathy and is not due to hypoxia. you have a permanent nerve problem, not a brain problem. In fact, nitrous actually has neuroprotective effects (unless you drown yourself in a plastic bag or mask).

One cause of Peripheral neuropathy is Vitamin B12 deficiency. I know you said that you have tried it since, but that isn't going to help much as the damage is already done. B12 looks after your nerves- once you damage nerves they are damaged (think paralysis). This is why people need to supplement with B12 if they take lots of nitrous. This effect of excess nitrous is well known in the medical feild (but probably better known amoungst dentists lol). Try wikipedia.

I know of two people with nerve damage from nitrous - both of them in the leg. However they stopped using the nitrous when this damage first occured. It is certainly addictive.

That was a really well composed piece of prose'.

I understand the delusions of grandeur, been there once myself. My GF studies psychology and she recently has done a study on neuropathic. From memory the treatment is about re-training your brain to interpret the pain messages differently. Kind of like meditating and re-wiring the brain, this takes time and patients to master from reading the literature. However i'm sure you know this allready.

I hope that you manage with your condition, and your story has informed me. This story goes a long way in highlighting the risks associated with hard regular usage of legal/quasi legal highs. And the current generation of 4mmc and bk-mdma users should take some heed from this message.

ps. I enjoyed reading your story, it is composed really well, with almost a gonzo style about it. 5/5 for style and coherency.

Beautifully written and amazing. Thanks for sharing. Your writing style and content is top notch.

I'm curious about your nerve damage, what are you currently doing for treatment? Is it getting any better? Have you looked at supplementing with gingko extract and or piracetam and see how that might help?

Some studies show they might help, although the studies used a lot of them, I would start low at first and build up.