• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

any tips for acid reflux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daysonatrain

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelighters,

Ive had acid reflux for the last few years (probably more, but i didnt know what it was until recently.) I pretty much had to stop drinking coffee and orange juice:( because it would would almost always make me throw up and give me this horrible heart burn and vomity feeling. I am taking the over the counter stuff for it and it does help but i still have days when it gets pretty bad. Iknow its a pretty common thing so maybe some of you can give me some tips on how to deal with acid reflux. Thanks.

Lastly, i am a smoker, i plan to quit in the next month when i transfer from my really stressful job. Is it likely that the cigs could be the major contributing factor?

Nexium works good and so does Prilosec OTC. I used to chew up alot of tums when I had bad stomach problems a few years ago. I dont know if you drink alcohol or not but if you do I would try to drink as little as you can. You should try smoking some weed as well , It solves all of the problems I have with my stomach. Make an appointment with your doctor and have him check you out. I hope you feel better :D

L<3Ve & Lite

-Charlie

^^got no insurance and cant afford to see a doc. Thanks America for no nationalized health care.

^thanks CC. I do take prilosec OTC. Yeah, on bad days i pop tums all the time. I do drink, and that probably doesnt help at all, I have been trying to cut down. Unfortunetly weed seems to not be much of an ally for me anymore, it actually increases my nausea nowadays. I will look into Nexium.

Does anyone know any specific foods that would help? Also, aside from avoiding greasy and spicy foods, are there any specific foods to avoid?

Ranitidine (over the counter) is really cheap and it works really good. You can take it before you eat some acidy food, while you're eating some acidy food, or after while your stomach is on fire. It works anytime, everytime ;) It works way better than prilosec or any of that other junk, for me anyway. Stop smoking and eating acidy foods for awhile, it will eventually go away.

BTW: tums do nothing. those are weak sauce for people who have acid reflux. Drinking will make it worse.

Foods to avoid: anything citrusy, tomatoey, chocolate can do it, obviously coffee and orange juice, mustard, ketchup, onions, carbonated drinks..... shit the list goes on and on.

Apple cyder vinegar-1 to 1 1/2 tbl. spoons with 8 oz. of water before breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Slippery elm bark-1 heaping tablespoon to one pint of boiling water- let steep one hour then simmer a few minutes - strain( or not) and drink.

Best then any medication!

Stop eating junk food and stop smoking and stop drinking carbonated drinks. If you want either of these have it every 2 weeks. Gurantee you the problem will go away. Sometimes looking after yourself is more important then carrying on with addictions, even if it is being addicted to drinking coke a cola.

>firefighter- Ranitidine is something i have never heard of. Ill read up on it tonight, thanks. funny you mention ketchup, I loooove ketchup, id basically eat eat more ketchup than french fries if i combine the two :), and never really thought about how acidic it is.

>livinginthemoment- Ive heard of the apple cider vineger thing, i def think i will give this a shot. I actually tried this in the past as a home remedy for my excess of mucus (gross, i know). Id actually never heard that it would helpfor acid reflux, it almost seems like adding more acid would make it worse. Slippery elm bark. Slippery elm bark is something ive never heard of, another thing im going to research tonight. Thanks.

>Noonoo- Im well aware that the smoking, drinking and junk food are bad,and i am working on it. The smoking is something im going to give up in exactly one month, and hopefully this will help out a lot.

Thanks for the tips all. Its a strange thing, since its not always a consistant pattern. Some days after i eat a spicy meal or drink a shit ton i willbe fine, and some i will feel horrible. But really i have to start managing my dietary/drug use a bit better. :)

^^^APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND pH BALANCE

Apple Cider Vinegar has such curative abilities because it causes one's pH levels to become more alkaline.

If you are going to try apple cider vinegar for allergies, or even to prevent sickness, we suggest you do an investigation of your own by buying a pH test kit at a local pharmacy or health food store.

You can use these kits or pH strips to test your urine to see if you are more alkaline or acid during an allergy attack, virus or bacterial infection. Once you ascertain your pH levels, you can adjust adjust your dosage of Apple Cider Vinegar accordingly.

If you live in a highly polluted area where allergies and sinus infections are rampant, your system may better balance itself with a small dose of apple cider vinegar each day. Ultimately, experiment with a kit to find the pH balance your body functions optimally at.

Apple Cider Vinegar in itself is alkaline because of its "ash" content, which means if the apple cider vinegar was burned, what is left over becomes ash. When you check for the pH of that ash and dissolve it with water, the content is alkaline. Whenever our body digests anything, it undergoes oxidation, which is similar to burning and the end result is that you can determine whether the end product was alkaline or acid. Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties, primarily coming from the malic acid and acetic acid portion of the vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar acts as a buffer in the body because the acetic acid reacts with base or acid compounds to form an acetate, therefore rendering them chemically bioavailable for the body's utilization. Additionally, Apple Cider Vinegar can reduce the toxicity of certain compounds by converting the toxin into an acetate compound, which is less toxic. This is why they are ideal for insect bites and certain skin allergies.

While Apple Cider vinegar in itself is considered alkaline, a chemically pure vinegar (acetic acid) is neither acid nor basic forming as it leaves no ash as the entire portion, when burned evaporates completely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reported cures from drinking Apple Cider Vinegar are numerous. They include cures for allergies (including pet, food and environmental), sinus infections, acne, high cholesterol, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats, contact dermatitis, arthritis, and gout. Apple Cider Vinegar also breaks down fat and is widely used to lose weight. It has also been reported that a daily dose of apple cider vinegar in water has high blood pressure under control in two weeks!

^^^Slippery Elm Bark

Slippery Elm Bark settles an acidic and irritated stomach. It is known to alleviate heartburn by coating and ‘smoothing’ the irritated upper gastrointestinal tract.

Slippery Elm is used as a soothing demulcent to the digestive tract and can be used to reduce the symptoms of both constipation and diarrhoea. MUST take plenty of water throughout the day.

Active Ingredients:

The bark contains a complex mixture of polysaccharides including pentoses, methyl-pentoses and hexoses that form a soothing gelatinous fiber or mucilage. The bark also contains high concentrations of anti-oxidants including beta-sitosterol, traces of beta-carotene and flavonoids including proanthocyanidins.

Suggested Amount:

Slippery elm bark tea is taken 3-5 times per day, or as required. Alternatively, porridge of the bark can also be taken throughout the day, as required. Sufficient amounts of water (1:10) should be taken at the same time to ensure maximum therapeutic benefits and to prevent impacted bowel. Take slippery elm bark lozenges as needed throughout the day for coughs and throat irritations. Note: Wild crafting of slippery elm bark for the health food market has threatened these trees in their native habitats, and so it is recommended that consumers assure that they are using cultivated sources (such as from Flora) or use alternative herbs such as marshmallow root, also rich in mucilage.

Side Effects:

If sufficient amounts of liquid (1:10) are taken, as indicated above, then there are no known side effects. As with any type of fibre, it is important not to take too much all at once and over do it. If fibre is taken above the recommended dosage, or without adequate amounts of liquid, then impacted bowel can and may result causing related infections and thereby leading to the need for hospitalization - so don't over do it and drink lots of liquids when taking any source of fibre.

Forms:
Slippery Elm Bark Tea; Slippery Elm Bark Lozenges

Traditional Usage:

- Anti-inflammatory
- Antioxidant
- Breathing Disorders
- Cellular Regeneration
- Cleansing
- Constipation
- Detoxifying
- Diarrhea
- Digestive Upsets
- Diverticulitis
- Endotoxic Shock (Bacterial Infection Toxemia)
- Gastritis
- Hemorrhoids/Piles
- Hormone Imbalances
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Poultice
- Reducing LDL Cholesterol
- Sore Throat

daysonatrain:>btw, I approve of your avatar, really nice!! I am glad you started using one!
How many days did you spend on a train?

Thanks a bunch LITM :)

edit- haha, thanks, it was a moving picture but when i imported it, it only imported one frame or something :(. Ive spent a decent amount of time on trains (or other forms of transit). The longest was three days on a train traveling from the east coast of india to the west :)

Digestive Enzymes: after every meal. Get one that has a lot of the different enzymes in them. DO NOT take them on an empty stomach.

Probiotics: These are 'good' bacteria' for the stomach. Drugs and alcohol kill off good bacteria in your stomach. Take them religiously. There is one out there By Jarrow (which is a f*cking awesome company). Take it in the morning on an empty stomach, roughly a half hour before a meal. Store it in the fridge to keep the bacteria in good condition.

I used to have MAJOR IBS (D). And now that I take opiates, I have the opposite problem. Well, I think you get the point. Opiates clog you up. Now, after taking the supplements I mentioned above, it is extremely rare that I get acid reflux, the runs (sorry, it's the only way I know how to put it...lol), gas, bloating, stomach pains or stomach cramps.

Keep in mind, when you first start taking these, it might make you feel uncomfortable for the first few days. For instance, you may initially feel bloated, gassy. You may also get diarrhea. This is flushing all the crap out of your pancreas and intestines.

Just give it a try and let me know how it works out for you. It's worked great for me.

Be well!

Dragon

^hm, i used probiotics when i was in central america after taking cipro for a stomach virus. The cipro killed off all the good flora and fauna in the stomach (leaving me unable to shit), the probiotics really helped me after that. Do probiotics really help with acid reflux? I actually might start to take them irregardless, since i know how good they are for digestion. Thanks.

I love this site, so many awesome people with truly helpful info :)

Thanks a bunch LITM :)

edit- haha, thanks, it was a moving picture but when i imported it, it only imported one frame or something :(. Ive spent a decent amount of time on trains (or other forms of transit). The longest was three days on a train traveling from the east coast of india to the west :)

:)That sounds awsome! India, i hope their trains are comfortable, for 3 whole days left you with a memory enough to use as a screen name. Care to share your experience, I love to hear it!:)

Not on the thread offcourse!

I agree days. I learn something new every day on this site.

And yes, I've found that it has helped for acid reflux. However, everyone's body is different (obviously).

Also, give Spirulina a try. That stuff helps just about anything. Get the tablet form and make sure if Spirulina Pacifica. It comes in a pill form. The pill is green and smells like algae (that's what it actually is). So, basically, it's pressed Spirulina. The good stuff is rather expensive, but worth it.

Whenever I get a big bottle of it from time to time 1) I NEVER get sick if I take it every day 2) My energy level is through the roof! 3) I have a general sense of well being mentally and physically.

It's supposed to be like 10X the anti-oxidants over green tea.

Ahhhh, that brings me to another gift from G-d for just about any ailment, one of those is stomach issues: Green Tea!

Don't buy the cheap, crap kind that you find in a grocery store. Go to a health food store or a specialty tea store. Buy LOOSE tea (not the kinds in bags). My favorite kind is Pilo Chun and Gyokuro. They are SO potent (if you buy them fresh) that you only have to steep them for 45 seconds to a minute! The stuff is amazing. My suggestion is to buy from "TEAVANA"

Ok, sorry for my rambling, once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.