• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drug Dictionary Project

Chasing the ghost : Searching for the mystical dropped or spilled dose that has eluded you until your stash is gone, whereupon you efforts redouble
Chasing the dragon: attempting to capture vapors with a straw hovering above scorched aluminum foil landscape while a fire-breathing dragon blasts random gouts of flame to the underside, invisible to our heroes above, occassionally melting their straw closed unexpectedly or sending plumes of precious vapor off into the night from some unexpected corner
Neddying: Neddy Pot warm water and anything powdered into the very receptive sinus pathways, with a shot of primateen mist first.

Neddying...I have never heard of this before and find it intriguing. what might one use this method for?

np, I saw that ya'll had withdrawal on the first post, but it wasn't defined so I thought I might put that in there...

I believe it´s essential that you do. A great percentage of our suffering relies on abstinence and how it manifests in symptoms and how you call it.

Withdraws are mainly related to opiates but it happens to almost any drugs, alcohol included.

Also

Upregulation - the process by which a cell decreases the quantity of a cellular component in response to an external variable (opposite of what you said for downregulate)

I don´t know how that works at all..

MDMA: (Ecstasy/Molly) a synthetic drug that alters mood and perception (awareness of surrounding objects and conditions). It is chemically similar to both stimulants and hallucinogens, producing feelings of increased energy, pleasure, emotional warmth, and distorted sensory and time perception.

Cotton Fever: a condition that is often associated with intravenous drug use, specifically with the use of cotton to filter drugs like heroin. It's an illness that appears abruptly after using/reusing previously used or contaminated cotton filters in the preparation of intravenous drugs. Someone who does IV drugs needs to filter the solution with a cotton to take out the particulate matter, and a small piece of cotton rolled up into a ball is often used as a filter when the drug solution in initially drawn up into the syringe.

Last edited:
Great thread, can't think of anything to add off the top of my head but I think it would be a good idea to edit in the definitions from the replies into the original post. You should also add a note in the OP saying that all the replies are added in so people won't have to scroll through all the replies to try and find something not in the OP.
Also, I think it would be a good idea to start a slang/brand name-translation thread. Like you put the actual name of the drug, then a bunch of slang terms for it so people new to harm reduction understand what people mean when they say things like "MDMA, Lisdexamfetamine, diphenhydramine, acetominophen, disassociative, [etc.]".

Last edited:
Having a cross reference chart for slang terms could be useful but it would be difficult and could also just be more confusing. I think it would be hard to do properly because slang varies heavy from one group to another and it also varies greatly over time.

Take the word dope for example. It can be used to described something as being awesome, it can be used to insult someone, some people use it as slang for marijuana, others use it as slang for heroin or methamphetamine.

Take the slang word meth. Most people assume it is short for methamphetamine but it is also commonly used to refer to methadone among certain crowds.

I don't know, I'm not sure how a list of slang terms could be properly managed...

The definition below is from medicine.net except the last sentence. Maybe something short and descriptive about how disturbing and severe akathisia can be during withdrawal should be added.

Akathisia- A movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and a compelling need to be in constant motion, as well as by actions such as rocking while standing or sitting, lifting the feet as if marching on the spot, and crossing and uncrossing the legs while sitting. People with akathisia are unable to sit or keep still, complain of restlessness, fidget, rock from foot to foot, and pace.
Akathisia can occur during withdrawal from several drugs, including opiates.

are we including colloquial expressions into the dictionary too?
if so;

Rattling - when someone is experiencing withdrawal symptoms e.g.: 'ahh i gotta go pick up soon; i'm rattling like crazy.'
Clucking - ibid (same as above).

oxy?

why doesn't this list of "OXY" on it like in the media when people say oxy what are they referring to?8(

^ Oxycodone would be considered an opioid and oxy would be short for oxycodone. If you read Bob's post in the introduction, you can see drug names are not needed unless they refer to harm reduction.

Great list, I'll add it I find anything not here already. Keep up good work all!!

Can someone tell me what "crank" is? It's an American term but I can never work out if it means coke or meth
One more: the ever-confusing: is "dope" heroin, weed, or just slang for whatever drug you want (all three?)

Can someone tell me what "crank" is? It's an American term but I can never work out if it means coke or meth
One more: the ever-confusing: is "dope" heroin, weed, or just slang for whatever drug you want (all three?)

"Crank" is methamphetamine - I think that term is becoming outdated though.
"Crack" refers to cocaine base in UK and US, but in Australia, it is slang for smokeable methamphetamine.
"Dope" can refer to weed, opium, heroin or less commonly coke or methamphetamine. Like saying "gear", it depends on context.

This is why I try to avoid slang.