• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Smoking and Chasing Opioids: General Information

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
Unfortunately, a lot of people do not know much about the process of Chasing or smoking opioids (specifically Heroin)- even though it may be their primary route of administration, or even if they've been doing it for years.

To be clear, there are two distinct routes of administration involving the inhalation of heated Heroin: Smoking & Chasing.

Smoking Heroin (also known as 'Ack Ack' or 'Fire The Ack Ack Gun' in East Asia) involves filling part of a cigarette with powder Heroin, applying flame to the end of the cigarette and smoking it like a normal cigarette.

Chasing Heroin (also known as 'Chasing The Dragon') involves placing Heroin in the stem of an Opium pipe, or in the middle of a square piece of aluminum foil, adding heat from the bottom and inhaling the vapours through a tube.

Smoking Heroin (or Opium, or Morphine, etc) is very easy, yet it is a very, very inefficient method of using Heroin. The intense heat of the burning Tobacco and the direct flame degrade and destroy most of the Heroin. Only a small amount of Heroin is vaporized and inhaled.

Chasing Heroin is much more efficient compared to smoking; though improper technique and/or what I'll call "the wrong Heroin" can make Chasing just as if not more inefficient as smoking.

The type of Heroin being used and what it is cut with make a huge difference in the outcome, regardless of route of administration.

Diacetylmorphine Base (Freebase) is the best form of Heroin to use for Chasing or Smoking. It reaches volatilization much better than its salt forms. However, it is still possible to Chase or Smoke Heroin in a salt form (i.e. Diacetylmorphine Hydrochloride), it is just much less efficient.

The cuts being used are very important.

Caffeine, Barbiturates (Barbital, Phenobarbital), Methaqualone, Phenazone, etc facilitate and enhance Heroin volatilization, meaning more Heroin is being vaporized and available to be inhaled into the lungs and thus into the bloodstream.

This is why Heroin #3 is a 1:1 (50/50) ratio of Heroin Base : Caffeine.

Procaine, Lidocaine, Acetaminophen, Ascorbic Acid, etc have the opposite effect, they decrease and inhibit volatilization. Especially Ascorbic Acid. Very little Heroin will reach the bloodstream even if perfect chasing technique were performed on a Heroin sample that contained, for example, Heroin Hcl + Procaine Hcl.

However, cuts like Procaine enhance the subjective physiological effects of the IV rush from Heroin. Ascorbic Acid or Citric Acid is also necessary in parts of Europe to convert non-water soluble Heroin Base into a water soluble salt (Diacetylmorphine Ascorbate or Citrate) so it can be injected.

Here are my main sources, the second link contains a very interesting article about the Chasing and smoking of Heroin in the Netherlands among the Surinamese immigrant community, along with a lot of scientific information related to Heroin cuts, impurities, efficiency of RoA methods, etc.

AN ASSESSMENT OF INHALATION AS A MODE OF ADMINISTRATION OF HEROIN BY ADDICTS
Benjamin Pui-Nin Mo 1 and E. Leong Way 1
1 Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, and Department of Physiology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Long term male addicts with established drug dependence were used to study the efficiency of two modes of inhaling heroin, viz. "dragon chasing" (inhalation of the fumes resulting from heating a combination of heroin and barbital on a piece of foil) and "ack ack" (smoking of cigarettes containing heroin powder). The 24-hr urinary excretion of heroin as free and conjugated morphine (total morphine) for 3 consecutive days was compared in addicts given fixed amounts of heroin by intravenous injection, dragon chasing and ack ack. In 16 intravenous addicts the mean percentage of recovery of heroin as total morphine was 68% of the given dose, in 35 dragon chasers 26% and in 14 ack ackers 14%. Thus, based on urinary excretion values of heroin as total morphine, the efficiency of dragon chasing is about two-fifths that of intravenous injection and twice that of ack ack. Under laboratory conditions simulating dragon chasing and ack ack, the temperature for volatilizing heroin was found to be the important factor in limiting the recovery of total morphine in urine. At temperatures below or slightly above the melting point of heroin hydrochloride (244°C), increases in temperature increase heroin volatility and hence its availability. At high temperatures (746°C) of a burning cigarette such as in ack ack, extensive decomposition of heroin occurs and its availability is decreased. The addition of barbital in dragon chasing appears to increase heroin availability by inhibiting the decomposition of heroin and by facilitating its volatilization. The maximum amount of heroin approximated to be available in dragon chasing was 75% and in ack ack was 30%.

Submitted on January 12, 1966
Accepted on April 21, 1966

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/154/1/142

And the interesting link:

http://www.drugtext.org/library/books/grund/chasdra3.htm

Last edited:
Thank you.

I'd be interested to know how many people who frequent OD use either method to ingest Heroin?

I knew someone who for the first several months of his addiction only Chased. But we were using Diactylmorphine Hcl with Quinine and most likely Procaine or Lidocaine- if he had known to add an equal amount of pure Caffeine powder (which is readily available in a number of places) to the Heroin he intended to use, mix it up well then put on the foil and Chase like normal, he probably would have had much better results, and wouldn't have wasted so much Heroin needlessly.

Aside from that scene in the Sopranos, I've never seen anyone or heard of anyone who still smokes Heroin. As in, empties out a little tobacco from a cigarette, puts Heroin into the cigarette and lights it + smokes it like normal. Or adds Heroin to a bowl of Cannabis and puts the flame to it. I know this is done in Southeast Asia moreso than the West, but does anyone on BL do this?

thats very interesting.

i have done H for many years now & allways smoked it on foil apart from 2 times when i went I.V. & nearly went over (o.d.)

where i am from everyone ither toots it (foil smoking) or cranks it (i.v.) thats the first time i've ever heard of smoking it as in mixing it in tobacco.

as to the o.d. question i've been known a few years ago to do 1g of H in a day with no sign of o.d.

from what i have been told by older users (people on H for over 15 years) its impossible to o.d. from chasing the dragon as you would pass out before you could get enough H into your system to kill you.

kinda O.T. but it just made me think.

does anyone know what makes H go from a snow white colour to the brownish colour it is on the street?

some of the H i have had over the years has ranged from a semi white colour to allmost mud brown. normally i find the darker the colour the better it is, yer pure H is snow white.

anyone know?.......

Asorbic acid changes it into DAM acetate, citric acid changes it to citrate.

Asorbic acid changes it into DAM acetate, citric acid changes it to citrate.

Thank you, got ahead of myself :) fixed it.

thats very interesting.

i have done H for many years now & allways smoked it on foil apart from 2 times when i went I.V. & nearly went over (o.d.)

where i am from everyone ither toots it (foil smoking) or cranks it (i.v.) thats the first time i've ever heard of smoking it as in mixing it in tobacco.

as to the o.d. question i've been known a few years ago to do 1g of H in a day with no sign of o.d.

from what i have been told by older users (people on H for over 15 years) its impossible to o.d. from chasing the dragon as you would pass out before you could get enough H into your system to kill you.

I meant members of OD- this subforum of BlueLight - 'Other Drugs'. If other people who frequent the Other Drugs subforum chase or smoke Heroin. Overall you are right, the RoA is pretty forgiving with regards to using too much.

does anyone know what makes H go from a snow white colour to the brownish colour it is on the street?

some of the H i have had over the years has ranged from a semi white colour to allmost mud brown. normally i find the darker the colour the better it is, yer pure H is snow white.

anyone know?.......

The answer is multifaceted.

Diacetylmorphine Hydrochloride is a white crystalline powder.

Heroin sold on the street is comprised of a number of additive chemicals, leftover Opium/Poppy alkaloids and plant material (tannins, etc), degraded compounds or chemicals created in side reactions during the manufacturing process (AcetylCodeine, 6MAM, 3MAM), etc.

Mainly two of the things in Heroin (the street product that is thought to be Diacetylmorphine) give it its final color: leftover plant material and the cuts used. Brown, black, reddish brown, yellow, etc colored Heroin is such a color most likely due to leftover plant material like tannins. White Heroin is most likely white because of the cut used (Caffeine, Paracetamol, Procaine, Lidocaine, Quinine, etc).

Color does not signify anything. People believe they can judge purity by the color or smell of their Heroin: this is absolutely 100% not the case.

The original black market, illicitly manufactured Heroin encountered on the street came from urban China (1920s). This Heroin was highly pure and of high quality- and also white or off white. After Mexico and Turkey had their runs as the primary source countries of illicit Heroin (1940s-1960s), by the late 1960s and especially the 1970s and 80s, Burmese/Shan State Heroin was white and of high quality- this is where 'Heroin #4' and 'China White' terminology came from: it was about Burmese junk. Then in the mid to late 80s Mexico and Colombia took over most of the US market, and the Golden Crescent (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran) took over the European and Asian markets.

So for two periods of history of the underground Heroin culture, white Heroin was very high purity. Because Diacetylmorphine in its pure form is a white powder, and because of the word of mouth history about the good old days of white Heroin, people today think that whiter = purer Heroin. This isn't the case.

Even Burmese dope has taken a hit in average purity in areas where it still has a market, China's Opium crop goes to make the worlds pharmaceutical Opioids: the only remaining white high purity Heroin made for the illegal market is the state sponsored Heroin factories in Pyongyang (what I'd give to try DPRK stamped dope :) if warlords and tribal chieftans can churn out #4, imagine what a nation-state can produce). Don't bet on ever seeing it, they seem to only ship it to other South East and East Asian democracies (Japan and co).

Plus, Diacetylmorphine content alone doesn't come close to telling you how good or bad the Heroin you've got is anyway. Different additives and chemicals give different effects to the high. A bag of Heroin with low DAM content, but high 6MAM, Morphine, Procaine and Quinine content may blow you away.

But thats a whole other can of worms.

Thank you, got ahead of myself :) fixed it.

I meant members of OD- this subforum of BlueLight - 'Other Drugs'. If other people who frequent the Other Drugs subforum chase or smoke Heroin. Overall you are right, the RoA is pretty forgiving with regards to using too much.

The answer is multifaceted.

Diacetylmorphine Hydrochloride is a white crystalline powder.

Heroin sold on the street is comprised of a number of additive chemicals, leftover Opium/Poppy alkaloids and plant material (tannins, etc), degraded compounds or chemicals created in side reactions during the manufacturing process (AcetylCodeine, 6MAM, 3MAM), etc.

Mainly two of the things in Heroin (the street product that is thought to be Diacetylmorphine) give it its final color: leftover plant material and the cuts used. Brown, black, reddish brown, yellow, etc colored Heroin is such a color most likely due to leftover plant material like tannins. White Heroin is most likely white because of the cut used (Caffeine, Paracetamol, Procaine, Lidocaine, Quinine, etc).

Color does not signify anything. People believe they can judge purity by the color or smell of their Heroin: this is absolutely 100% not the case.

The original black market, illicitly manufactured Heroin encountered on the street came from urban China (1920s). This Heroin was highly pure and of high quality- and also white or off white. After Mexico and Turkey had their runs as the primary source countries of illicit Heroin (1940s-1960s), by the late 1960s and especially the 1970s and 80s, Burmese/Shan State Heroin was white and of high quality- this is where 'Heroin #4' and 'China White' terminology came from: it was about Burmese junk. Then in the mid to late 80s Mexico and Colombia took over most of the US market, and the Golden Crescent (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran) took over the European and Asian markets.

So for two periods of history of the underground Heroin culture, white Heroin was very high purity. Because Diacetylmorphine in its pure form is a white powder, and because of the word of mouth history about the good old days of white Heroin, people today think that whiter = purer Heroin. This isn't the case.

Even Burmese dope has taken a hit in average purity in areas where it still has a market, China's Opium crop goes to make the worlds pharmaceutical Opioids: the only remaining white high purity Heroin made for the illegal market is the state sponsored Heroin factories in Pyongyang (what I'd give to try DPRK stamped dope :) if warlords and tribal chieftans can churn out #4, imagine what a nation-state can produce). Don't bet on ever seeing it, they seem to only ship it to other South East and East Asian democracies (Japan and co).

Plus, Diacetylmorphine content alone doesn't come close to telling you how good or bad the Heroin you've got is anyway. Different additives and chemicals give different effects to the high. A bag of Heroin with low DAM content, but high 6MAM, Morphine, Procaine and Quinine content may blow you away.

But thats a whole other can of worms.

thanks for a education, you sure know what your on about. :)

The French Connection was operating during the 60's and 70's, and is said to have produced the highest quality illicit heroin.

That's what I've heard from people that have tried pharm grade heroin vs. illicit heroin. They prefer the illicit version due to the other active ingredients. You also encounter this debate when people discuss tar vs powder; mostly due to more active leftovers in tar.

The French Connection was operating during the 60's and 70's, and is said to have produced the highest quality illicit heroin.

The peak of the French Connection (when it was manufacturing and supplying the most Heroin) was the late '60s to early '70s.

Not long after WWII Corsican mafioso & former Vichy/collaberators and American LCN were negotiating the scheme, though it had existed earlier.

Going on at the same time (after WWII) former Vichy/collaberators were traveling to French Indochina and setting up the Golden Triangle from the major cities (Phnom Penh, Saigon, Vientiane, etc) with tribal leaders who would grow the poppy crop.

Illegal heroin labs were first discovered near Marseille, France, in 1937. These labs were run by the legendary Corsican gang leader Paul Carbone. For years, the Corsican underworld had been involved in the manufacturing and trafficking of illegal heroin abroad, primarily in the United States. It was this heroin network that eventually became known as the "French Connection".

The Corsican Mafia was closely allied with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the SDECE after World War II in order to prevent the French communists from bringing the port of Marseille under their control.[citation needed]

Historically, the raw material for most of the heroin consumed in the United States came from Indochina, then Turkey. Turkish farmers were licensed to grow opium poppies for sale to legal drug companies, but many sold their excess to the underworld market, where it was manufactured into heroin and transported to the United States. The morphine paste was refined in Corsican laboratories in Marseille, one of the busiest ports in the western Mediterranean Sea. The Marseille heroin was reputed for its quality.

That's what I've heard from people that have tried pharm grade heroin vs. illicit heroin. They prefer the illicit version due to the other active ingredients. You also encounter this debate when people discuss tar vs powder; mostly due to more active leftovers in tar.

Ja.

"My discussion with Mr. Gay were based principally on two observations of
heroin addicts in the mid 1960s. In one case one group obtained pharmaceutical
grade heroin and did not like it at all. They claimed it had no effect and
didn't rush. The heroin was part of a pharmaceutical shipment from whence it
came I know not but, eventually the owners cut it with morphine and dilaudid to
get it to rush and put on the most dynamic bag anyone had seen. "

-Howard Lotsof (founder of Ibogaine for addiction treatment)

Just from the science of East Coast cuts vs West Coast tar side products, and my own experience with injecting more than one opioid at once and with the Quinine & Procaine,etc heavy Heroin on the East Coast-
My money is on EC powder beating out both tar and 99.9% USP Diamorphine in subjective response.

http://balder.prohosting.com/adhpage/arc_hi/heroin_p_dope.txt

the only remaining white high purity Heroin made for the illegal market is the state sponsored Heroin factories in Pyongyang (what I'd give to try DPRK stamped dope :) if warlords and tribal chieftans can churn out #4, imagine what a nation-state can produce). Don't bet on ever seeing it, they seem to only ship it to other South East and East Asian democracies (Japan and co).

As recently as 7 years ago DPRK got caught trying to ship 300 kilos of heroin to austrailia. They even had a party official on the boat. Recently the united states has stated they suspect the counterfit 'supernote' 100$ bills come from North KR. Its insane. DPRK is litterally like a state-run mob. According to a defector the heroin factories arn't in Pyongyang, but about 45 miles east in a place called 'Camp 39'. I just saw a kewl documentory that mentioned it. And read in the news about the heroin bust.

Ya know, its a damn shame they don't make pure heroin anymore (for the most part). However, remeber what happened to that guy in Baltimore that had 92% bags. Lots of ODs and manslaughter charges. I think junkies get used to a little cut and pure heroin just isn't as feasible anymore(and all the active cuts you mentioned). Although the junk in jersey and baltimore ain't bad dope.

I think that it should be noted that as with almost any HCl salt, heroin can be freebased by mixing with sodium bicarbonate and water. The products will be Heroin Base + CO2 + H2O + NaCl (Smoke, water and salt).

As recently as 7 years ago DPRK got caught trying to ship 300 kilos of heroin to austrailia. They even had a party official on the boat. Recently the united states has stated they suspect the counterfit 'supernote' 100$ bills come from North KR. Its insane. DPRK is litterally like a state-run mob. According to a defector the heroin factories arn't in Pyongyang, but about 45 miles east in a place called 'Camp 39'. I just saw a kewl documentory that mentioned it. And read in the news about the heroin bust.

Ya know, its a damn shame they don't make pure heroin anymore (for the most part). However, remeber what happened to that guy in Baltimore that had 92% bags. Lots of ODs and manslaughter charges. I think junkies get used to a little cut and pure heroin just isn't as feasible anymore(and all the active cuts you mentioned). Although the junk in jersey and baltimore ain't bad dope.

I am bumping this thread because I just mentioned it in another thread.

I posted a link to an old scientific article about the 'myth' of the Heroin overdose.

In summary, the article states that 'Heroin Overdose', in the medical community among medical examiners/coroners, has come to mean "Unidentified cause of death rapidly following Heroin consumption". From there the media blew it up. This article is from the '60s, referencing years past. It states the actual average overdose limit for Morphine and Heroin is several hundred milligrams, much, much more than the average user consumes even ina week or longer.

He traces the other symptoms surrounding all of these so called 'Heroin Overdoses', and links them to specific cuts in Heroin (Quinine & Barbiturates), and the use of CNS depressants (Alcohol, Barbiturates) by addicts in combination with Heroin as the actual cause of death.

Today our ME's and coronors don't do much better. They list 'Sudden Death' as a symptom of OD from Heroin; however, in practice it takes several hours to die of an actual Morphine or Heroin overdose.

Unless all of these so called OD'd people were non-tolerant and injected half a gram of pure Diamorphine each, something else afoot. Here's a link:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=433933&highlight=myth+heroin+overdose

In the end a Nation-State is just a syndicate, no different than a mafia. They have guns, gangs, capos, locked up members, businessmen, politicians. The DPRK just has to do the Nation-State equivalent of selling its ass on the street to pay the rent and utilities.

I guess anti-Marx state-Stalinist dictatorships thrive on the 'party official' culture. I bet theres a party official standing behind every lavatory attendant in Pyongyang taking notes as to whether the manner in which he folds towels is Capitalist and anti-revolutionary.

If I had money to bet I'd put it on the DPRK dope having the official party seal stamped on every brick. Probably a portrait of Dear Leader on the other side.

I've been rewatching "The Wire" and they mentioned spiking their new package with procaine, and I always wondered why anyone would, as I thought it just contributed to numbing (as a coke cut). I guess IVing that would help some get across the BBB (or does it even? does it just cause some noticeable PNS effects that make you go "Oh, hey, THERE's the rush.")

This reminds me of a James Bond movie. Dude is fighting Soviets, like always, so he's in Afghanistan or nearby. He finds out his freedom fighter friend is selling mass quantities of raw opium to a Soviet officer. After being asked why he'd be involved in drugs, freedom fighter basically says 'My bullets or their drugs, I don't care how we kill them.'

I'm sure income for military equipment is most of the motivation. But, I bet Islamic and Communist states love the idea of privileged Westerners defeating themselves with luxuries. It fits the "Great Satan" image of America (since Satan's basically an expression of human greed, temptation, and all that) and other coalition nations.

I've been rewatching "The Wire" and they mentioned spiking their new package with procaine, and I always wondered why anyone would, as I thought it just contributed to numbing (as a coke cut). I guess IVing that would help some get across the BBB (or does it even? does it just cause some noticeable PNS effects that make you go "Oh, hey, THERE's the rush.")

This reminds me of a James Bond movie. Dude is fighting Soviets, like always, so he's in Afghanistan or nearby. He finds out his freedom fighter friend is selling mass quantities of raw opium to a Soviet officer. After being asked why he'd be involved in drugs, freedom fighter basically says 'My bullets or their drugs, I don't care how we kill them.'

I'm sure income for military equipment is most of the motivation. But, I bet Islamic and Communist states love the idea of privileged Westerners defeating themselves with luxuries. It fits the "Great Satan" image of America (since Satan's basically an expression of human greed, temptation, and all that) and other coalition nations.

The rush is from the Procaine itself.

Hundreds of chemicals provide a rush after being injected IV, that are not used as recreational drugs.

Several common cuts used in Heroin are CNS (central nervous system) stimulants: Quinine, Strychnine, Procaine, Lidocaine, Tetracaine, etc. injecting them in combination with Heroin is the eqvuivalent to injecting a stimulant along with Heroin- as these chemicals have their own distinct rush when injected, depending on the amount and mix present in the dope, will amplify or alter the effect of the Heroin.

I made a thread listing the different chemicals most likely responsible for the 'Dirty Rush' or 'Dirty Hit' phenomenon. These are, sometimes, chemicals that can add to a rush in low doses but cause the uncomfortable/painful side effects known as a 'Dirty Hit/Rush' when higher doses are used.

Other chemicals are not CNS stimulants but still add to the quality or character of a rush after a shot of street Heroin: like Sorbitol and Inositol.

Thats a pretty simplistic view of the global drug problem. As far as those states that are either run by Islamic theocracy or military/party dictatorship, they have much worse public health crises related to illegal drugs than any country in the West (Iran's Opium/Heroin problem has always been several times larger than ours in the US; HIV/AIDS is spreading like wildfire in Russia and Ukraine due to no access to harm reduction programs like Methadone maintenance, needle exchanges, etc).

Drugs are not used as a weapon; they are nothing but a quick and easy way to make large sums of money.

Several sides of the Yugoslav civil wars of the early '90s trafficked Golden Crescent Heroin into Western Europe to bring back money for guns and supplies to the front. Their ideological aims end at nationalism. They had no interest in who is using the drugs. If their own people had the money to afford a dope habit they would've stayed home and sold it :p Same goes for the Golden Crescent countries. A recent article talks about a huge open air Opium/Heroin market in Pakistan, where all of the dealers yell "3 for a dollar!" (3 hits for a dollar). Those same 3 hits of smack sold on a US street corner bring in $30. If they could get half that at home the American market would dry up and we'd have to grow it ourselves.

Tchort, thanks for clearing up the procaine thing. But, I promise my view is not that simplistic. I prefaced it saying, yeah, it's used almost entirely for money. I also realize the number of ODs or even just dudes made homeless would be a tiny percentage. I don't even think heroin represents the global drug problem and said nothing like that (I'm very interested in Japan and Canada, both of which seem synthesize/grow most of their own street drugs).

Perhaps what I should've said is that if I were in some of their positions, maybe that's what I'd think.

I'm in the first chunk of "Opium" by Martin Booth, and I'm pretty sure there'll be some chapters on horse, so I'll just hush until I've finished those.

Last edited:
Opium

I would like to add a bit about Opium due to the large amount of Opium related threads that have been popping up in OD and BDD.

It is important to first recognize what you have, i.e. if it is actually Opium. Erowid has a neat page about the "Red Rock Opium" (incense sold as Opium) hoax; and descriptions given by BL posters about the texture, packaging, etc leads me to believe a lot of people are simply selling Heroin as Opium for a higher profit margin to people who are opiate naive.

If it comes in a glassine bag with a stamp on it, it is Heroin. If it comes in a balloon or wrapped in foil, and is a moist looking black color, it is most likely Black Tar Heroin (this is important to remember if you are on the West Coast/MidWest).

Real Opium goes through a few changes depending on its state. After slicing the seedpod open, the Opium latex that flows out is white or off white. After it dries it is a light to dark brown, Opium gum. While it is possible to do so, it is better to treat the Opium to make it more suitable for Chasing or Smoking.

Here is a guide from the famous Federal Heroin guide:

Before opium is smoked, it is usually cooked. Uncooked opium contains moisture, vegetable matter, and other impurities which detract from a smooth-smoking product. The raw opium which is collected from the pod is placed in an open pot of boiling water where the sticky glob of opium alkaloids quickly dissolves. The soil, twigs, and plant scrapings remain undissolved. The solution is strained through cheesecloth to remove these impurities. The clear brown liquid, sometimes called liquid opium, is actually opium in solution. This liquid then is reheated over a low flame until the water turns to steam. When the water has evaporated, a thick paste remains. This paste is called prepared opium, cooked opium, or smoking opium and it is dried in the sun until it has a putty-like consistency. The net weight of the cooked opium is generally about 20 percent less than than the original raw opium.

Cooked opium is suitable for smoking or eating by opium users. Traditionally, there is only one group of opium poppy farmers, the Hmong, who often do not cook their opium before smoking. Most other ethnic groups, including Chinese opium addicts, prefer smoking cooked opium.

Opium, either raw or cooked, will not degrade, or otherwise spoil, for an indefinite period of time, as long as it remains relatively dry and cool. These are the normal conditions in the highlands of Mainland Southeast Asia. There are cases of opium being stored on a shelf for 10 years without deterioration.

If the opium is to be sold to traders for use in morphine or heroin laboratories, it is not necessary to cook it first. The laboratory operators generally use 55-gallon oil drums or huge cooking vats to cook the raw opium in water before beginning the morphine extraction process.

http://www.shaps.hawaii.edu/drugs/dea20026/dea20026.html#cooking

(Note: the article says to use 'boiling' water; do not do this. Hot water, not boiling. Never add opioids to boiling water, or boil an Opioid solution.)

After this is done, Opium can be Chased or (if you want to waste it) smoked like Heroin, Morphine, or other opioids as outlined in the first post.

Since Opium gum is most likely not cut, it isn't necessary to worry about diluents that reduce volatilization. However, it would be a good idea to add a cut that will facilitate volatilization as explained in the first post.

Interesting stuff. Just out of curiosity have you made opium before?

Nope. I'm not too terribly interested in it to be honest. I'm not a big fan of chasing, and all of the plant materials make me wary of shooting it.

I would be interested to see first hand how potent 'Yen Pox' is (the ash leftover on foil/an Opium pipe's stem after smoking or Chasing Opium; according to Burroughs in Junky, it still contains a hefty amount of Morphine/alkaloids; so it is usually mixed with water and injected or mixed with coffee and consumed orally). Again though, it would have to be oral; shooting plant material is a good way to die of shock.

Huh, that is interesting. I bet there's a bunch of bl chasers that are like I can do what with my ashes?