• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Large and Nifty Not-quite-advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't become hooked on placebo

Sure they do, so long as the reinforcement schedule is intermittent. These people obviously aren't regularly ingesting the substance at specified intervals in controlled dosages, as would be expected therapeutically. And since the drug is a definite neuroactive substance, it could very easily be something of an "active placebo" in such a case as this.

For short periods of time kids will start smoking oregano or grass or snort tylenol, but people try it, and realize they've been stupid, and so they never catch on.

That's a tad overly facile, don't you think? Couldn't it have more to do with to do with sudden realization of what constitutes 'true' or 'genuine' psychoactivity? That is, following the inhalation of some burning plant matter that actually contains psychoative compounds, these impressionable oregano-heads come to realize what they'd been, so to speak, missing, and subsequently abandon their useless euphoric modalities (lulz). And sure, the placebo effect does tend to be highly susceptible to extinction in most cases, but many claim to have been using homeopathic remedies (and the like) for years, engendering unyielding symptomatic improvement. Inert drugs are generally less successful than their active counterparts on the black market, but I think this owes more to the relative magnitude of effect (and the subsequent word-of-mouth broadcasting that the shit is bunk) and the heightened discriminative prowess of seasoned drug abusers as compared the other, more chemically naive consumer-base of dumb, inexperienced kids (and, as the case may be, South African adults).

either it's an incredible outlier, or the drugs are active

Agreed, they're definitely active, just more than likely non-recreational.

Last edited:
That's a tad overly facile, don't you think? Couldn't it have more to do with to do with sudden realization of what constitutes 'true' or 'genuine' psychoactivity? That is, following the inhalation of some burning plant matter that actually contains psychoative compounds, these impressionable oregano-heads come to realize what they'd been, so to speak, missing, and subsequently abandon their useless euphoric modalities (lulz). And sure, the placebo effect does tend to be highly susceptible to extinction in most cases, but many claim to have been using homeopathic remedies (and the like) for years, engendering unyielding symptomatic improvement. Inert drugs are generally less successful than their active counterparts on the black market, but I think this owes more to the relative magnitude of effect (and the subsequent word-of-mouth broadcasting that the shit is bunk) and the heightened discriminative prowess of seasoned drug abusers as compared the other, more chemically naive consumer-base of dumb, inexperienced kids (and, as the case may be, South African adults).

No, it's not. Actually, if anything, your argument is based on lack of thought. Did you even decide to look at research before coming to your conclusion? Apparently not. More than 50% of patients taking efavirenz report CNS effects. Slightly more than 25% of patients receiving placebo reported CNS effects. These were at prescribed doses, though.

More than that, your last point is based on the supposition that South Africans don't have access to good drugs. There's no question about the inaccuracy of that point. South African drug users are no more limited than we are. They may have less cannabis (not much less though, it's still the second most commonly abused drug, next to alcohol), but they have easy access to most pharmaceuticals.

No, it's not. Actually, if anything, your argument is based on lack of thought.

If anything, your counterargument is based on a serious lack of reading comprehension. Did you even decide to read my post before concluding that I had disagreed?

Taken directly from said post:

And since the drug is a definite neuroactive substance, it could very easily be something of an "active placebo" in such a case as this.

and

Agreed, they're definitely active, just more than likely non-recreational.

More than 50% of patients taking efavirenz report CNS effects. Slightly more than 25% of patients receiving placebo reported CNS effects

As I can only hope you've noticed after, you know, actually reading what I typed, you're not doing yourself any justice by vehemently disputing the barely contentious comments of someone whose opinion lies in essential accordance with yours (aside from a minor point of whether the drug truly is a genuine reinforcer), and was simply trying to spur further discussion. I think the expression is 'preaching to the choir,' or something to that effect.

More than that, your last point is based on the supposition that South Africans don't have access to good drugs

...no. It's based upon the assumption that the vast majority of 'recreational' efavirenz users in particular are either pharmacologically naive, desperate for a high, or are simply experiencing a collective phenomenon of positive response to an active placebo. That's all.

If it's being used to cut heroin I would say the heroin has far more likely to be what is making this recreational than either placebo affect or efavirenz.

lol i love this thread. basically the moderators have a sense of trollism in them and decide to troll hard working thread providers with a bunch of crappy gather-it-all-in thread.

epic

N-Acetylation of the 2C-X series... Impacts activity?

Does anyone know where I can find info to determine whether N-acetylation of the 2C-X Shulgin series will impact activity?

From the scant precedents I found, it would appear that ephedrine retains activity after N-Acetylation, but on the other hand mescaline loses activity.

I tried in PiHKAL, to no avail (but I cold have missed it)...

So, N-Acetylation of the 2C-X series will likely improve absorption into body and across BBB... but will it decrease activity?

Any help? (sources of info or subjective opinions)

Has anybody ever made morphine from codeine and then turned it into diacetylmorphine?
I'd like to have a go as long as it can be done cheaply....How much would all the equipment/chemicals set you back to get set up (AND IF ANY COPS ARE READING THIS, ITS PURELY FOR REASEARCH PURPOSES AND IM ONLY ENQUIRING FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE IT BEFORE FOR PERSONAL USE, AS I DONT THINK ITS POSSIBLE TO DO THIS ON A LARGE SCALE ANYWAYS)
Are we talking £100? £500? £1K plus? Surely all you need is a few pieces of laboratory equipment (bunsen burner, some kind of filtration/extraction device, boiling/test tubes etc) and the chemicals (Pyridine,chloroform etc. - Which I'm told are fairly cheap anyway) and I'm reckoning about £50 worth of codeine based painkillers maybe! lol! I'm making a guess here and saying you could probably get all this stuff for a couple of hundred quid maybe? Any chemists know the answer?

We do not allow synthesis discussion in any of our forums; please review our guidelines.

ebola

few pieces of laboratory equipment (bunsen burner, some kind of filtration/extraction device, boiling/test tubes etc)

Let me tell you straight out: you have no chance at making heroin from codeine. Just forget it before you get yourself hurt.

Looking for a foot in the door.

Hey guy's I've been looking at your post's and am extremely entrigued, I was wonder if maybe someone could maybe teach me some things? Thanks :)

Enroll into some classes about pharmacology, or perhaps biology or chemistry. It'll be your easiest (and probably best) way to learn, and if it interests you then you're likely to do well without too much struggle.

ok so still no ideas ? hmm how about i synthesize marijuana from oregano

hi guys can i make heroin from cocaine ?
No, but you can make crack from heroin. It looks like tar for some reason. Sometime you give the guy the cash and instead of the usual shit you get the black, heroin based crack.

Let me tell you straight out: you have no chance at making heroin from codeine. Just forget it before you get yourself hurt.
Really? I was under the impression that "homebake heroin" was relatively easy to produce.
The patterns of drug abuse found in New Zealand (NZ) are influenced by the fact that it is a geographically isolated country with a small population (3.3 million). One recent feature has been the emergence of small-scale illicit laboratories producing morphine and heroin from codeine derived from commercially available codeine-based pharmaceutical products. This paper describes the background to this development, the methods used in such laboratories, and the approach taken by the forensic scientist in examining them...
Codeine, in certain compound products is not controlled under the NZ Misuse of Drugs Act (1975) and is available without prescription from retail pharmacies. The first laboratory using the process was seized in Auckland in January 1983. In the three years which followed to January 1986, Auckland police alone seized over 50 such laboratories, either fully functional or as disassembled 'kits', and over 90 were seized in NZ as a whole. Laboratories have been encountered in kitchens and bathrooms in most parts of the country. The home-made product of this simple recipe-like procedure has become known as 'homebake'. The equipment required for these laboratories is very simple and the product is normally made in small batches for the addict's own use, although there has been a trend towards the sale of samples of the end product.
Can't post the link because it's synth discussion but PM me if you want and I'll send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.