• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters

wesmdow

Bluelighter
exotic pets...?

im moving out soon (hopefully) and id like to get a pet, as ive always lived with >10 cats in my house.

were moving into an apartment

i love animals--except dogs--and i dont want to give up my babies... BUT they technically belong to my parents, and my roomie is alergic to cats. this makes me pretty sad.

anyway, i want a pet that isnt a dog, and i cant have a cat.

ferrets smell terrible, so fuck that.

what other kinds of mammals make good pets?

i was thinking of maybe a raccoon?

and tazmanian devils are illegal, right? (i think itd be awsome to show up those big tough dealers with their pitbulls... "you got a 80lb pit, eh? come check out MY pet....;)"

Last edited by a moderator:
raccoons don't make good pets. they have sharp claws, get into everything, and are agressive when they get older.

rabbits can be litterbox trained. and I've heard awesome things about owning a sugar glider :)

but sugar gliders are WIMPY.

were 2 GUYS moving in together, sugar gliders are a bit... 'flamboyant?' for my taste...

cats have sharp claws, get into everything, and can get REALLY REALLY mean too!

i watched one of my cats battle a raccoon. it got its ass kicked, but it still held its ground ok for a while.... untill i ran out there with a broom and beat the hell out of the raccoon.

and does it GET more boring than having a rabbit?

...maybe a goldfish...

or hell, i could have a pet coral, even ;)

Snakes.........poisonous ones
and fuck goldfish......if your going the fish route get saltwater fish

haing a raccoon as a pet is a really, really bad idea. and quite possibly illegal depending on where you live.

WIMPY? What do you want it for? Protection? Fighting other animals? Robbing banks?

a skunk that has been de-skunked maybe? i really don't know about having them as pets though.

Shmoo!!!

shmoovy2.jpg

Skunks are great if you have the time /dedication needed for one; they are illegal as pets in many states in the USA, though.

Pet skunk legality

Not exactly the best self protection animal, though. Maybe a goat?

i used to have a goat, i loved that little guy.

you can get ferrets descented and they make awesome pets. mine didn't smell at all. just change the litter box daily, cause their piss stanks like freaking mad.

Goats are great! They eat everything, including your dirty laundry.

Snakes aren't exactly "exotic," but I own a few of them and love em to death. My little snake collection...

RETICULATED PYTHON - longest snake in the world. Mine is only a little over 10 feet as of right now, but these fuckers grow quick. Her name is Sensi

BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA - still a baby, but looks sick as fuck. Cool purple and orange pattern on it. One of the best looking snakes out there. (tie between rainbow boa and green tree python IMO) Chino is his name.

BLOOD PYTHON - short, fat, red snake. His name is Leviathon and he's my favorite of my snakes because of his chill personality. All my snakes are relativily docile, but you could put this snake in a baby's crib and not have to worry about a thing. (not that I would ever do that though)

ALBINO CALIFORNIA KINGSNAKE - standard albino kingsnake, but he's a mean little shit. Doesn't really have a name, usually just "mean motherfucker"

LEUSISTIC LEOPARD GECKO - not a snake of course, but its a badass little lizard. You can actually see into his head and his skin has no color pigments. (albino=white color pigments, leusistic=no/clear color pigments)

I've also got a MARBLED BENGAL CAT. Got him suuuuper cheap for a bengal. $100 for a 1 year old beautiful marbled bengal is a steal. I wish I could show pics but I don't have a digi cam. His name is Roche. (after the pharm company) I wanted a spotted one but I wasn't about to shell out the $600 the breeder was asking for a kitten.

Not exactly exotic, but different none-the-less.

^ i like your pets!

im thinking lizard.....

ive got a bengal cat too, that was an even better steal, she just wandered up to our house! her name is bella. shes awsome. btw, i love your cats name.

but my roomie is allergic to cats =*(

Last edited:
Skunks are great.. if they were legal in my state I'd have one.

- Rodents: hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, gerbils, chinchillas, degus, flying squirrels and rats
- Rabbits
- Hedgehogs

How about a fennec? 0.o
180px-Vulpes_zerda_front_view.jpg

Alpaca??
Alpaca2.jpg
200px-Alpaca2.jpg

SillyAlien said:
Goats are great! They eat everything, including your dirty laundry.
very true, as a matter of fact, i had a pair of old jean shorts i always put on when i would go out to play with him, because he loved to eat my clothes. and i thought i was a comedic genius, bc i would put on the bart simpson voice and say "eat my shorts"

i am a big fan of birds, what about them as a pet? but they are so high demand. we haven't made the purchase yet for ours (besides tiels and doves, cheap and easy to care for) i dont have the time to care for the african grey i want. and i will possibly even go the extra mile and get a hyacinth macaw. fucking expensive bird, and what a beauty. african grey have the intellect of a 5 year old child, supposedly.

DarthMom said:
very true, as a matter of fact, i had a pair of old jean shorts i always put on when i would go out to play with him, because he loved to eat my clothes. and i thought i was a comedic genius, bc i would put on the bart simpson voice and say "eat my shorts"

i am a big fan of birds, what about them as a pet? but they are so high demand. we haven't made the purchase yet for ours (besides tiels and doves, cheap and easy to care for) i dont have the time to care for the african grey i want. and i will possibly even go the extra mile and get a hyacinth macaw. fucking expensive bird, and what a beauty. african grey have the intellect of a 5 year old child, supposedly.
Get these creatures only if you like loud, guttural 'screaming' all day long.

yes, i know, i have birds. i had 16 cockatiels at one point in an outdoor aviary my husband built. some are more vocal than others. and hyacinths and greys are loud and vocal if they aren't stimulated properly. which is why i pointed that out immediately in that post, these birds are only for those who have adequate time for them.

if anyone has an extra 10 grand laying around, give it to me, i am in love with they hyacinth macaw, a real beauty. if you ever get to see one in person, you will know what i mean!