• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

getting stabbing pains from quick drinking anyone else?

fluxy

Bluelighter
This has happened a number of times since i was 17, but recently it happens 50% of the time if i say, skull 2 standard drinks or more. Its a twisting sharp pain in my guts, feels like liver or stomach but im no doctor he he. If i SLOWLY drink the first 2 drinks over 20 mins or so, it doesnt ever happen. I dont have Hep c as far as i know, but would like to know if other people get this and what it might be.

thanks for your replies

That isn't a lot of information to go on, but it doesn't sound good. It could be something as minor as gas, or it could be something a lot worse.

Does it ever happen when you haven't been drinking alcohol?

It's probably the alcohol burning your esophagus and stomach? I get it as well when I drink down a majority of a vodka and cranberry in one big gulp.

Has heartburn been an issue for you? I mean on a weekly basis (ie. a few days a week). B/C sometimes this happens to me and I started taking nexium and it doesn't happen anymore.

Where is the pain?
Do you have it when you don't drink?
I get a sharp stabbing pain right in the middle under my ribs-
this was my first sign of an ulcer.

But it could be a number of things-this is just my experience........
Check with your Dr.

Pancreas, liver, gall bladder, ulcer, and gastritis are all possibilities. I'd say to abstain or drink moderately until you have some idea as to the cause. Stabbing pain is an indicator that something is really wrong. It should be mentioned to a doctor. Vomit that looks like coffee grounds would be a sign you need to see a doc right away as it would indicate there is probably a bleeding ulcer.

i think u wud receive some more experienced replies if we move this to healthy living so im going to go ahead and do so

my advice wud b maybe steer clear of alcohol and other things that r hard on ur gut until uve seen a doctor about this
b totaly honest with ur doctor about how uve bn drinking, ie. fast
gd luck

TDS----->HL

Sounds like it could be GERD related or Peptic Ulcer disease, try getting a blood test to see if you have a HP(Helicobacter pylori) infection, if so it can be treated with antibiotics.

Well, what type of drink? Beer, being fizzy as such, creates gas- gas can cause stabbin pains in the gut, that feel a lot worse then what they are....

um lets rule out a few things,

Ive done the H. pylori blow test, negative.
had cameras down there, nothing.
no hepatitis,
the pain doesnt cause vomiting, and if i force it, it doesnt help.

Its a sharp pain that comes from drinking about 2 standard drinks (20grams) of alcohol within a couple of mins. It goes away within 20 mins after a lot of writhing and stretching. its not a 10 on the pain scale, but if it happened in public, which it has at the pub once or twice, i gotta go elsewhere to curl up into a ball and lie down if i need to.

I had gastroenteritis when i was a kid approx 6yrs old. almost died in hospital for 6 weeks. i was on proton pump stuff like ranitidine and omeprazole for a few years whe i was like 18-21, though im not sure how much i really needed it, im a self medicator. i havent used shit like that for years. I had datura at 16 and it unsettled my stomach for around 18 months. other than that not much to report. When i had a period of 3 yrs abstinent from alcohol and ALL drugs and cigarettes, i had ZERO problems like this.

Its similar pain to having too much paracetamol, and drinking 200ml of full cream milk helps to quicken it up, Ie not instant relief, but helps within about 5 mins. I had a test on my liver about a year back and there was one thing that was about 3 times normal, my doc said this was the usual heaver drinker indicator enzyme. GCT of something like that.

Oh yeah and if i have opiates in my system it is less likely to happen. but its not me withdrawing and drinking making it worse.

Thanks for all your responses muchy appreciated. I will be going back to my doc who did the liver test and getting another one. He said to come back when id given myself a rest to see what a normal test would be like, cause the one he did last time was in the middle of opiate withdrawal. guess i need to give myself a break!

It sounds like your body has a serious negative reaction to alcohol. Given your history I'd say that you have a very sensitive stomach, it may be feeling really hurt and upset by the alcohol.

ive drunken quite haeavily at different times in mylife, and wast experiencing this ever. maybe in a very lite form that wouldnt be anything out the ordinary.

Bit scared to get another liver test, ill be much happier to do it once ive been clean for a little while and given my liver time to repair. last thing i need is more stressful news,

cheers fluxy

negative for H. pylori blow test,

ive had cameras in there and all,

no hep (immunised a and b) dont think it got c.

its happened rarely over the last 12 years or so.

any replies or thoughts appreciated,

fluxy

I first had that reaction (exact same thing, curled up in ball: extraordinary pain), when I was 7 or so from drinking apple juice. The Malic acid probably. I have a very sensitive GI system and it's just one of the things that I've had to learn to deal with. I developed an ulcer early in college.

I have had the same reaction to drinking hard alcohol too quickly. The doctors have never been able to figure out more than "you have a sensitive GI tract." Thanks.

Well, to be honest, they've diagnosed me with hiatal hernia (sp?), acid-reflux disease and gastroenteritits and I did have an ulcer way back. But what's the point of all of those diagnoses if they can't yield any solutions? I think that doctors feel they should be paid for simply putting a label on your suffering. Well,shit, I can diagnose myself now that we have the interwebz, and I'll probably do just as well as you Dr. Billiondollarfee.

I've just learned to treat my stomach gently. I just don't pound hard alcohol quickly; I limit my caffeine and alcohol intake. I even have had to limit my intake of hot, spicy foods, which was probably the worst. I've taken different drugs but none of them work without active management of my liquid and food intake.

The things that have worked the best (daily use, no one-shot solution) are pro-biotics, yogurt, and I'll do a 30-day regimen of Prilosec every so often. I don't have the money for it right now, but the best I ever felt (while I was only eating yogurt daily) was when I was being treated weekly by an acupuncturist who understood some fundamental imbalance in my body.

I just know that any stress in my life will manifest itself in my stomach or intestines just like some of my friends fight migraines regularly as soon as they get stressed out. There's not a direct correlation, at least in western medicine, but there are other practices out there that understand this stuff better than you average HMO doctor.

There are house brands/generics of prilosec now if that helps affordability any. Generic name omeprazole.

Try drinking peppermint tisane. I have no idea if this will help, but if it does not, it is still delicious and cheap. :)