• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Morphine Mega Thread & FAQ'S

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Morphine was first isolated from opium in 1805 by a German pharmacist, Wilhelm Sertürner. Sertürner described it as the Principium Somniferum. He named it morphium - after Morpheus, the Greek god of dreams. Today morphine is isolated from opium in substantially larger quantities - over 1000 tons per year - although most commercial opium is converted into codeine by methylation. On the illicit market, opium gum is filtered into morphine base and then synthesized into heroin. [1]

What is it? – Morphine is a highly potent opiate analgesic psychoactive drug, is the principal active ingredient in Papaver somniferum (opium), is considered to be the prototypical opioid. Like other opioids, morphine acts directly on the central nervous system (CNS) to relieve pain. Morphine has a high potential for addiction; tolerance and both physical and psychological dependence develop rapidly. [2]

Popular types of morphine solutions

Pharmer.org - huge list of different morphine tabs out there for you to identify.

MS Contin; MS IR; Oramorph; Roxanol; Avinza; Kapanol; Kadian

Composition of Australian Mundipharma MsContins

mims said:
Composition

Active. Morphine sulfate BP.

Inactive. Tablets. Lactose (5, 10, 15, 30, and 60 mg tablets only), hydroxyethylcellulose, cetostearyl alcohol, magnesium stearate and talc. All tablets are coated with hypromellose, macrogol 400 and titanium dioxide (E171). The coatings also contain: iron oxide red (E172) (10 mg tablet); iron oxide black (E172) (10 and 100 mg tablets); iron oxide yellow (E172) (10, 15 and 100 mg tablets); quinoline yellow (E104) (15, 60 and 200 mg tablets); brilliant blue FCF (E133) (15 and 200 mg tablets); indigo carmine (E132) (15, 30 and 100 mg tablets); erythrosine (E127) and sunset yellow FCF (E110) (30 and 60 mg tablets).

Suspension. Xanthan gum, polystyrene sulfonate - hydrogen, xylitol, raspberry flavour 52354T, purified water, brilliant scarlet 4R (E127) as colouring.

How is morphine used? – Morphine comes in oral preparations (IR an ER and oramorph solution), vials for IM, SC and IV injection.

Addiction – Morphine is a highly addictive opiate. Tolerance, physical and psychological dependency happens in a short time. Withdrawals are like most other drugs of this class; nausea, tearing, yawning, chills, body aches, insomnia, loss of appetite, dysphoria and excessive sweating, etc lasting anywhere up to a week or more as well as the following PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms)

Addicted and need help? Check out these links.
Buprenorphine Mega Thread
Methadone Vs Buprenorphine Mega Merged Thread
A guide to Opiate addiction and edications used during withdrawals
Guide to Narcotic Withdrawal

Opiate Potentiation Thread
Phosphagenics Pharm - Transdermal Morphine Product

Possible Interaction with Other drugs include
[3]
• Alcohol
• Certain analgesics such as Talwin, Nubain, Stadol, and Buprenex
• Drugs that control vomiting, such as Compazine and Tigan
• Drugs classified as MAO inhibitors, such as the antidepressants Nardil and Parnate
• Major tranquilizers such as Thorazine and Haldol
• Muscle relaxants such as Flexeril and Valium
• Sedatives such as Dalmane and Halcion
• Tranquilizers such as Librium and Xanax
• Water pills such as Diuril and Lasix

Legal Classifications
• In the United Kingdom, morphine is listed as a Class A drug under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and a Schedule 2 Controlled Drug under The Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001.
• In the United States, morphine is classified as a Schedule II drug under the Controlled Substances Act.
• In Australia, morphine is classified as a Schedule 8 drug under the variously titled State and Territory Poisons Acts.

Note - These guides aren't universal for every kind of morphine tablet or capsule out on the market. They act as exactly that, a guide, not a be all end all of all preparations.

Routes of Administration Bio-Availability

Oral - BA = ~30%
Insufflation - BA - ~30%
Plugging - BA = ~30%+ (refer to this article, based on a means %)
IM - BA = ~85-100%
IV - BA = 100%

Preparation for Insufflation for morphine tablets (snorting)

what you need: morphine tablets, a spoon, A4 piece of paper, a pill crusher (ideal) otherwise a Bankcard or similar, razor or even a cigarette lighter, flat surface. a Pestle and Mortar would be ideal!

1) Take your desired dose of morphine, wether they be MS IR's or MsContins.

2A) If you have a mortar and pestle, crush the pill. Make sure you remove any coating that the pill may have using a knife to scrape it or running it under a tap (make sure you pluf the sink up;) if not, go to step b...
2b) Place the pill, preferably broken into pieces, on a clean A4 sheet of paper and fold it over the pill

3) Using your spoon crush the pill under the paper until it is as fine as you can get it. You will find the paper folded over it prevents you from loosing any chunks that could have potentially flown from underneath the piece of paper.

4) Using your card or razor you can now finely chop the crushed pill and split into whatever sized lines you desire

5) Snort away!

If you have Kadian or Kapanol or another morphine capsule you simply crush the beads as tablet was done.

Preparation for Plugging Morphine Tablets

what you need:
morphine tablets,
a spoon, A4 piece of paper,
Bankcard or similar or razor or even a cigarette lighter,
flat surface,
a needless syringe (your choice of size),
sterile water,
some lubricant.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY : AN EMPTY BOWEL!

1) Use steps 1 -4 of insufflating the tablet to get it into a fine powder.

2) Dump the powder into a spoon

3) Draw enough sterile water into the syringe and empty it into the spoon, mixing the solution as well as possible

4) Suck the solution back up into the syringe.

5) Get into a comfortable position, laying on your side down on the ground

6) Lube up your rectum, depending on the size of your syringe (and how loose your arse is!)

7) Start inserting the syringe slowly, until you reach about 2 knuckles deep (your finger is deep within the borderline now isn't it pal?)

8) Once you have the syringe in place, slowly push down on the plunger and empty the solution in. Slowly take out the syringe now.

You will feel some resistance in your rectum, like you need to take a dump. Don't be alarmed, this is normal. Your sphincter muscle will tighten and stop the solution from coming out. It takes a certain amount of self control as well. The more you do it, the more you become acquanted with the feeling.
Now go wash you hands, stink finger!

Preparation for IV
please note that not all Morphine pills are suitable for the injection process. ie there is conflicting arguments as to whether MsContins are suitable as people have them gel up along with other brands. If you have experience with morphine and know what does and doesn't gel then please PM me and I will edit in where appropriate

Before you start anything. Do you have fresh needles? Do you have sterilising/alcohol pads? Do you have a wheel or micron filter? If you answered no to any of these I strongly recommend you rectify that! Make sure you're working in a clean environment. Sterilise and clean your preparation space. Clean your hands! Clean your intended injection site! Sterilise your working space and utensils!

what you need:
morphine tablets,
a spoon,
A4 piece of paper,
Bankcard or similar or razor or even a cigarette light,
flat surface.
A Micron Filter or Wheel Filter. If you only have a cotton tip, you will have to make do.
Sterile Water
Alcohol Swabs
Fresh Syringes. 27G-31g are best suited. the smaller the guage, the less harm it will do to you. A fresh syringe for every poke!
Someone as a sitter! This is highly recommended in the case of an OD
A phone with credit on hand in case of emergency. Make sure you know your emergency contact numbers. 911 for America, 000 for australia.

1) Use steps 1 -4 of insufflating the tablet to get it into a fine powder.

2) Now sterilise your spoon and wash it out with the sterile water

3) Dump the powder into the spoon

4) Add a sufficient amount of sterile water and mix the solution together with the plunger. DO NOT add any heat to this solution. it will only cause unwanted fillers and binders mix into the solution. It's bad enough shooting pills as it is, you don't want to do anymore harm to yourself.

5) Attaching your Micron or Wheel filter onto the syringe and slowly draw up the solution. Now with the tip facing toward the sky give the barrel a few taps so the air bubbles rise to the top. Push the plunger up, getting rid of any air in the needle.

6) Swab the area you intend to use for the injection site.

7) Get your tourniquet (if you require one) and apply it to approximately 6 inches above your intended injection site.

8) Pump your fist until you see the vein popping through.

9) Pierce into the vein with the needle as parallel to your vein as possivle and pull back on the plunger to register. Make sure the bevel on the syringe is aimed upward.

10) Once you see you have registered, slowly push down on the plunger. If you are new to IVing you should re-register half way through your shot to make sure you're still in the vein although you will feel a huge stinging sensation if you are out and missing the vein. Stop pushing on the plunger immediately if you feel stinging. Re-register before you continue on with the shot.

11) Once you have finished your shot, place the cap back on your syringe and dispose of it into the Sharps Bin.

If you are unable to obtain saline/sterile solution at least make the effort to boil a cup of water instead of using it straight from the tap. Boiling the water will kill of some possible contaminants or bacteria, some, NOT ALL.

If you are having trouble finding a vein here are some solutions to help out:
Take a hot shower. The hot water helps the veins rise to the surface of your skin.
Do some push-ups or lift some weights.
Clench and tighten your fist for a short period of time
A tourniquet will help as well.

The safest and recommended spots for injecting are on top of the wrist, your forearm, the crook of your elbow and up the bicep. Keeping the injection site above your heart allows for the best blood flow possible. Stay away from places like your legs and feet. The blood flow isn't as strong in those area further away from the heart and can cause complications.

here are some guides to injection spots, but before that is an image of a used needle to really put into perspective what happens to the tip after 6 uses.
Reuse.jpg

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24440/24440-h/images/038P15_25.jpg is a detailed view of the forearm/crook
mbig-injection.jpg

injectionC.jpg

the dorsal veonous network and cephallic vein are easiest to hit.

Safety and Vital Information

FINDING VEINS

Tying off with a touniquet really helps. Be sure to take the tie off after the needle is in and registered and before you shoot. The pressure could cause you to miss the shot.
Gravity Helps - Just standing up and letting your arms hang can bring veins out.
Body heat brings veins to the surface. Preparing your shot in a warm environment may assist as well as things like wearing a warm hat (beanie etc) and jumpers, tracksuits. Also wrapping your arm in glad-wrap or cellophane will help.
Take your time!

Anytime you hit something that feels like a vein, but hurts, PULL OUT! There are no exceptions.

Reasons the needle may hurt:
1 You hit an artery. Injecting here could hurt you bad. PULL OUT
2 You hit a nerve. Injecting here could hurt you bad. PULL OUT!
3 You aren’t in a vein. This will waste your shot and cause infections or an abscess.

How you know you’ve hit an Artery

- The colour of the blood is bright red.
- The blood may be a little foamy or frothy
- It might hurt a lot
- It has a lot of force behind it. Sometimes the plunger won’t need to be pulled back, the force will push it back.
- Blood can enter the syringe like spurts from a heart beat.
If any of these things happen, PULL OUT. Apply pressure to the place where you pulled out. If possible hold the place where you hit over you head. If bleeding doesn’t stop seek medical attention immediately.

How you know you’ve hit a Nerve
- It hurts a lot!
- No blood comes into the syringe when you try and register
- If this happens, PULL OUT.
Information extracted from http://www.harmreduction.org//downloads/arteries.pdf

What is a missed hit?

You’ll know it by an immediate stinging sensation and a swelling around an injection site during or immediately after injection. It may be caused by fluid entering the tissue surrounding the vein because the needle has:
• not entered the vein properly
• entered the vein and slipped out again
• entered the vein and gone through the opposite wall
• entered the vein correctly but excess pressure caused the vein to split.
A ‘missed hit’ will mean that the drug is absorbed much more slowly by the body, so that the effect will be less pronounced. It can also lead to other problems such as abscesses, cellulitis, and cutaneous foreign body granulomas.

Reducing your chances of a missed hit

• Check that the needle is in a vein by gently pulling back on the plunger to see that venous blood (a dark red colour) enters the syringe
• Always release the tourniquet before injecting
• Maintain a steady hand whilst injecting
• If you are in withdrawal from heroin, smoke a small amount before injecting so your hands will be steadier
• Use the smallest possible needle and syringe barrel
• Inject at the correct angle (i.e. in line with the vein)
• Inject the fluid slowly.

First aid for missed hits

Remove the needle and apply pressure to the site, preferably a hot or frozen wool swab, otherwise anything cold and sterile. You should get missed hits or any other problems checked out by a doctor, Accident & Emergency at your nearest hospital, or at your local Needle Syringe Program. Massaging the area of the missed shot will also help the drug absorb into your muscle.

DO NOT COME ONTO OD POSTING AN URGENT POST ASKING FOR HELP, THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO AID YOU. IF AN ABSCESS IS STARTING TO FORM SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP.

Information extracted from - http://www.saferinjecting.net/injecting-missed-hits.htm

More to come. Feedback? Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
IV of MSIR 30 mg.... important question!

I'm really new to IV.. I really don't like needles anywhere near my veins actually. But I can't help the rush I get. Even though I can never register :X and end up throwing it into a muscle..

ANYWAYS.. after I crush it up and put it in the spoon with the water do I need to heat it before cotton ball 'n syringe.

maybe some general information about arterial shots and abscesses? how to avoid abscesses, what to do if you think you missed a shot, when to go to the doctor, etc.

also, maybe this could be expanded to all opiate pharmaceuticals? questions about oxy prep seem to be very common as well, and it's all the same procedure.

maybe some general information about arterial shots and abscesses? how to avoid abscesses, what to do if you think you missed a shot, when to go to the doctor, etc.

also, maybe this could be expanded to all opiate pharmaceuticals? questions about oxy prep seem to be very common as well, and it's all the same procedure.

<3

good suggestion

These are my revisions to this faq:

Routes of Administration

EDIT: Oral BA is higher is ~25%
EDIT: Intranasal is lower, like ~20%

ADD: The pill coating needs to be removed. This can be done by using a pairing knife, or some type of scrapping device.

Preparation for Plugging Morphine Tablets

EDIT: Preparation in bold spelled incorrectly :) .

EDIT: "5) Get into a comfortable position, laying on your side down on the ground. "
This step could be removed, because it does not matter what position you are in. Once the fluid is inserted, all is good.

EDIT: "7) Start inserting the syringe slowly, until you reach about 2 knuckles deep (your finger is deep within the borderline now isn't it pal?)"
Only the 'tip' of the needless syringe needs to be inserted. Inserting it two knuckles deep is completely unnecessary.

Preparation for IV

I don't 100% agree with the preparation method. I think it is impossible to write a "one size fits all" FAQ on prepping morphine IV. It heavily depends on what brand and formulation the morphine is in.

I coulda sworn that Hannibal once said that morphine's BA was the same for both oral and rectal. Not that I believed him, though

I'm really new to IV.. I really don't like needles anywhere near my veins actually. But I can't help the rush I get. Even though I can never register :X and end up throwing it into a muscle..

If you can not register, DO NOT SHOOT. No matter how well you have prepped your solution or how 'pure' your solution is, injecting pills into your veins is bad as it is, injecting it into a muscle is just asking for an abscess and/or other serious complications:\

P.S. AWESOME job leftwing, this was needed, and you started it up niiiiiiiice job man:D

-TheMatador

thanks, and taken on board

These are my revisions to this faq:

ADD: The pill coating needs to be removed. This can be done by using a pairing knife, or some type of scrapping device.

indeed, thanks.

EDIT: "5) Get into a comfortable position, laying on your side down on the ground. "
This step could be removed, because it does not matter what position you are in. Once the fluid is inserted, all is good.

this is before you insert the syringe and solution.

EDIT: "7) Start inserting the syringe slowly, until you reach about 2 knuckles deep (your finger is deep within the borderline now isn't it pal?)"
Only the 'tip' of the needless syringe needs to be inserted. Inserting it two knuckles deep is completely unnecessary.
i've always read to have it in this far to make sure and be certain that you're in there far enough, i'm going to leave as a guide for the moment

Preparation for IV

I don't 100% agree with the preparation method. I think it is impossible to write a "one size fits all" FAQ on prepping morphine IV. It heavily depends on what brand and formulation the morphine is in.

yes, you're exactly right, i hadn't added that in yet.

could you guys give me an idea on what type of morphine pill can and can't be prepped for injection? ie ones that don't gel up etc.

i've always used MsContins and never had a gelling problem (and i've seen people who agree) yet there is conflicting arguments from people. The only other formulation I've used are Kadian capsules.

Thanks guys and keep the feedback coming:)

Well done, those vein diagrams are very useful, got anymore illustrating the forearms/tops of the arm or maybe even the feet?

Kudos about stating the bioavailability of the different routes of administration. I had the feeling that it was not worth while to snort morphine. I am shocked that the BA of plugging is so high. I'm going to get an oral syringe soon. Twice the high? Fuck yes.

updated with First Aid Info, What is a missed hit?, Reducing your chances of a missed hit, How to find veins.

banging

well im a downer person i love morphine and 2 days ago i decided to try banging it. i heard all the hype about it and my girlfriend showed me how to iv a while back this was my first time with needles ever i was bye myself and i normally take 40-60mg oral to feel good so i figured 30mg would be a good dose to try so i rigged it all up found a vein stuck myself registered and injected all of it. i pulled the needle out and almost instantly i was at a state of well being but it olny lasted about an hour or so...i didnot enjoy it as much as the im i did the next day but my question, is there anyone who likes oral injestion more than iv or am i alone on this

please tell me you didnt IM mscontin pills? dont do that anymore man, its bad to IV pills but IM is even worse and yes you are alone in liking morphine better oral than IV, but oral is much safer so stick to oral

yeah i did im ms contin what should i look for if it dose cause a problem

iv been looking for an H hook up but it is rare around here

yeah i did im ms contin what should i look for if it dose cause a problem

iv been looking for an H hook up but it is rare around here

hm...i think they're called Pulmonary Granulomas. basically it's the binder stuff that wasn't filtered good enough accumulating in your veins. so think of little grains of sand in your bloodstream, you'll feel it. it will hurt like hell.

well the 2 areas i did the im are both still sore but not like hurting like hell but will it cause any major problems or will it just slowly go away