RFD: Promoters and Production Companies in NE

i think jeff is a little too defensive thats all. i mean people r complaining, or stating facts, about SOE not jeff personally, but he acts like it is an attack on him. that gives people reason to then pick on him even more... i mean why does he even care so much what anonymous message boarders type onto the screen, its just words. people need to stop living through their computers. people r going to the SOE parties still right? yeah they r. maybe some have stopped, but for the majority of the ones i have been to, they have all been packed with people. so everyone needs to stop CRYING and just have fun, isnt that what parties r all about. so the production company is shady, yeah that sucks, yeah they charge too much for parties, but if the party-goers just smile and dance all the harder in response to all the crap SOE pulls, then eventually it will all fade away... kinda like everyones EGOS!

pat's #2 favorite thing to do... rip apart peoples idea's. so here i go! :)
"i think jeff is a little too defensive thats all. i mean people r complaining, or stating facts, about SOE not jeff personally, but he acts like it is an attack on him."
SOE is jeff's job and partialy his company, and his friends help run it. You complain or bash my friends or my company i would get defensive as well.
"i mean why does he even care so much what anonymous message boarders type onto the screen, its just words."
be glad that he dosen't just ignore the thoughts writen. if he didn't respond then how would any problems people feel get addressed or solved. he's actualy taking the time to follow up with people on message boards other then his own at the SOE page. be glad that he is taking the time to do this, unlike dana the woman that just was a bitch to everyone and got her self banned from this message board as well as about 6 others that i have seen.
"then eventually it will all fade away... kinda like everyones EGOS!"
Please.... my EGO is here to stay... along with my id ;)

alright jeffsoe I can understand booking an act and having them cancel. I'm sure there can be a lot of unforseen problems in the world of throwing parties and dealing with agents, djs, club owners etc......but lets face the fact that there is a good chance that saeed & palash are not gonna show, you stated earlier you have a back up plan if this happens.
Who do you plan on having spin if S&P don't show, this party isn't cheap and although there is still a lot of great talent on the line-up I feel I have a right to know who will be headlining if they aren't.
thanx in advance
Vin

jeffsoe: i just have one question, well two words actually
sol fest? what happened there, i'm sorry, but that was absolutely horrible, do a search and find my post and please, please tell me what went wrong at that party

hey scary, am i not entitled to my opinion? even if it is "wrong" in ur mind. but ok ill shut up. :)

**insert comic collectors guys voice here**
WORST PARTY EVER
lets see, why this party sucked so much ass
1. so we get there, we know it's gonna be bad when we only see what, 5 cars in the parking lot, we figured awesome line-up, people will be gettin there early. in 20/20 hindesight, we should have scalped the tickets to unsuspecting kids and went to the punk show
I have no idea, why this party did so bad. We partnered up with other company, witch i will never do again
2. no lineup anywhere, i talked to some guy who looked like he knew what was going on (he was wearing a staff thing around his neck) and he said something to the effect of that things got fucked up and we're just having the dj's go on when they get here, and do whatever. whaaaaaa?
I made time slot posters, but I didn't put them up. I really cant get in to, to much detail on this matter, but this party lost a lot of money ALOT. but almost all the DJs did play, the only DJ that didnt play was miss. Lisa, she was there, she was doubled booked, so the plan was to get her on and out of there real quick, she flew in at 1:30pm and had to catch a flight to Denver at 7:30pm and a certain DJ wouldn't get off the tables to let her spin.
3. the sound at the d'n'b tent thing, whatever you want to call the stage on the side of the hill, kept blowing out, it happened twice, just as a set gets good the transformer blows out and everyone is left wondering, "can this get any worse?"
that was bad sound, real bad. I agree with you on that. If there is one thing, I think most people give us credit for is our production. We always use a great sound and light company, For this event, since i had partners we used another sound company
4. 3rd area tent non existent, ok, it was drizzling earlier so they took it down, then it it was supposed to be put back up when it stopped raining and the sun came out, well the sun came out and it stopped raining and no 3rd area
That was the local area, that was my call, and with only a handful of people there i didn't see a point to have that area and spread that party out any more then it was
5. total lack of people, this was a ny party, i know it was out on the island and all, but come on. there was what 50 people there when we got there, and people just trickeled in all day long. when we left, there was maybe 300 or so people, mostly sitting feeling sorry for themselvesit got so bad we left at 7. all i have to say is that you should have seen the look on ak 1200's face as he was spinning to 50 kids in a huge open aired amphitheater, don't worry mr 1200 we felt the same way too--
Well it will be a long time before we throw a party on the island again, and if we team up with anyone again, we will be more careful who we team up with

i will say this...
soe, *substitution*, columns and true will be doing the next world of dnb party. even though i dont listen to dnb anymore, it is bound to be a good event.

Regarding the Boo 7 line-up as refered to in the "I Have A Dream Thread"
The whole reason I went to Boo was to see Rob Gee and Biohazard. The 52$ ticket and 3 hour drive seemed like a waste when the two headliners I went to see never went on. And the headliners that did go on no one really knew about, because everything got so switched around and there was nowhere you could go to find DJ times. It just seems like if you are going to put on a party as large as this one with such big headliners that we should have been able to find some kinda schedule. I know the weather played a role in the chaos, but fall in New England is always unpredictable, it seems like there should have been a better plan to begin with. I guess I just expected more from a party with this kinda price and this kind of DJ talent.
JeffSoe, BTW, thank you for answering us. Sorry if my post before seemed kinda harsh, I wasnt really expecting a SOE response. And Randall's Island is one of my fav venues, so I hope that there will be more events there. For what it's worth, I thought the Boo event last April was near perfect.

If you wanna know how to throw a party shoot lonnie fisher down at ultraworld an email. He is giving people advice on how to throw parties seeing he knows the best out of like any other person around here.

that is a constant problem at parties. no one knows what djs are going on when. ultraworld did a great thing by having mini flyers with the lineup times. they had ads on the back, therefore those people paid for the flyer, so it was little or no cost to ultraworld. of course you would need the djs to go on during their scheduled time and not make exchanges.
one thing about boo6 was that there was only one poster in each tent that had the lineup. eventually people ripped these down. ideally, there should be some sort of xeroxed copy that is duct taped up everywhere or handed out.
ultraworld does throw fabulous events. they are always VERY well thought out. they also have been throwing parties for over 10 years, so that definitely helps.
they also let non-food vendors set up their tables for free. im not sure if other companies do that. jeff, does soe charge to set up a table?

^most places charge a fee or get a cut, wich is reasonable if you ask me... you can't set up a booth for free in the mall, why should a venue be any different?

^^^ b-c this is not a mall...
The notion that these events are just like businesses have always alluded me... and people who treat their events like the business practices of "the old ways" (ie mainstream business) will always get bad karma (i'm a hippy -- i believe in that shit)...
Raves should be handled differently when it comes to handling of "business" WITHIN the rave community. I understand when you go OUTSIDE (ie venues, flyer printing, etc) you need to own up a al MAINSTREAM BUSINESS style... but when you are dealing with the INSIDE (ie vendors, blah blah) I don't think we should have the same mentality...
The more and more promoters view themselves and handle themselves as businessmen within the scene, the less magickal the scene actually becomes.
My opinion, of course.
-physix
hence, why small parties rawk!

^if it is someones only form of income because they put so much time into their raves to be able to get a "real job" then one would have to treat it like a buisness otherwise you'd end up being poor and having no parties. maybe in a perfect hippy world where things were free your idea might work... but the vendors are "inside the rave" and not giving you they're merch for free they are making a profit off it.The production company has to pay for the venue to be able to give you a place to dance the dj's that you are listening to are getting paid (often quite a bit). getting a small cut of the profit the vendors make isn't bad nor is charging a vendor to be able to have a place to sell they're merch thing of it as them helping to pay the rent for the venue and less as "the MAN" filling his pockets.

i know that at the ultraworld parties, non-food vendors only have to pay for tickets. therefore they are paying just as everyone else. food vendors do have to pay a few hundred because they are taking profits from the production company, but non-food vendors are not.

Originally posted by LIKWID*PHLO:
alright jeffsoe I can understand booking an act and having them cancel. I'm sure there can be a lot of unforseen problems in the world of throwing parties and dealing with agents, djs, club owners etc......but lets face the fact that there is a good chance that saeed & palash are not gonna show, you stated earlier you have a back up plan if this happens.
Who do you plan on having spin if S&P don't show, this party isn't cheap and although there is still a lot of great talent on the line-up I feel I have a right to know who will be headlining if they aren't.
thanx in advance
Vin

WELL?

jeffsoe: thanks for the input i feel a lot better now knowing (sort of) what happened. and about the sound thing, your system at boo 6 could be heard in CT,it rocked

this is bullsh@t jeff knows that saleed and palash aren't gonna be there but he wont admit it and just tell us who he has planned to spin in there space.....I declare shannanigans on jeffsoe until he comes clean and lets us know who will actually be spinning.
in the immortal words of spike lee "do the right thing" jeff.

dude it's not like he's ignoring your post he prolly hasn't checked the message board yet. if you want an awsere faster post on SOE's message board.