BUZZ in DC is over

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh tell me why.... :( what to do now, what to do... and such a wonderful night we were all looking forward to tomorrow.. damn it all to hell

ok, and let me just say one more thing... i heard the news last night and i swear i wanted to cry. buzz was like a second home to me, a place we could always go... i can't even stand to think that place is gone, it doesn't seem real... so many times there, and my god, i met the love of my life there just a little over a month ago.. this is truly the end of an era.

i found out early this morning, too early to call friends and share the news. i was shocked. i mean...with all this RAVE act sh*t, i figured the end MAY come sooner or later...but i wasn't thinking NOW :( obviously, buzz was in some serious trouble, or they would have given MORE notice to their end.
scott henry and john tab have done an absolutely amazing job with that place. EVERYONE involved has. we drew in the BEST talent week after week. clearly, they had NO CHOICE but to shut down. b/c this came as such a shock to so many people. and john tab is an awesome and down-to-earth guy who really CARES about buzz's patrons. if he was able to--he would have given us more notice of the close. i haven't heard the full story of last week...but apparently there was a huge raid. nobody that i know personally was there, but they have talked to people who were. its a shame the gov't has nothin better to do than take away something *harmless* that is an important part of people's lives. not just those of us that attend--but many people's careers (djs) are at stake. might sound dramatic...but its true.
i'm very disappointed. first ultraworld announces they no longer have use of the DC armory, and therefore will not be throwing any more massives. props to ultraworld for starting up SONAR in baltimore as a weekly club event. at least they are trying.
we've had such a great scene in this area. the past 2 yrs that i have been going to parties, i have always known how lucky i have been to be right between baltimore and dc. now, our scene is dying.
i have so many GREAT memories at buzz. last year in the summer, held most of my fondest memories to this date. i have met some incredible people, discovered incredible new sounds and djs, and had some incredible experiences at buzz. i am thankful that i went a couple weeks ago to buzz, and had such a great time. i haven't gone as much this year as i did last year, but at least i got "one last hurray" in b4 the close. but DAMN i wanted to see feelgood tomorrow night :(
imo, and from a few others i have talked to, this may very well be *the beginning to the end* if the gov't is gonna start cracking down on parties and any event with electronic music...dc is an (unfortunetly) logical place to start. this is just my opinion, and i hope i am wrong.
thanks for all the fantastic memories buzz! the partie may be gone, but my memories will last. sorry for the insanely long post...but i just can't believe buzz is over. a lot of my best memories and best friends have all come from that place
~kristen

Wish I could check it out but I don't get WHFS in Richmond, VA.
LIVE ON WHFS 99.1 FM
FRIDAY, SEPT. 20, 2002
12 midnight – 3 a.m. (the time Buzz normally would be broadcast live on WHFS)
Join Scott Henry, John Tab and the rest of the Buzzlife crew as we drop classic tunes that defined Buzz over its 9 years.
Our plan is to take callers with questions, comments or hear from those that want to share a Buzz memory with the rest of us.
Of course it seems devestating at first and I was so looking forward to seeing Deep Dish at the end of this month but who knows, maybe things will work out. My first "rave" experience was at BUZZ and I've been going for about five years now and the memories will stay fresh. It was the one place I felt totally content at. To everyone I met and either lost your number or just never called for one reason or another, thanks for the great times and like Tupac said, "Keep ya head up". Look forward to meeting all of you at some future event. Special thanks to Scott Henry, John Tab, the BUZZ crew and every DJ who just made me come out of my skin.
I heard that Don Mclean song today and it got me knda misty:
A long long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

I am from australia but the few times ive been to DC i went to Buzz and had a GREAT time. this closure is really really really SHIT i was looking forward to going there again. I can't believe the US government. Taking away the venues will not stop the drug use.

hate to just say it out on this board in light of the contents of the article but Buzz was the first public place i ever rolled man! That place was dear to ma heart :(
at least I was at their last good party on sept 6th!!
I hope ultraworld can hold their own against the fuckin pigs

*hugs everyone*
*hugs eternal sunrise a second time* miss seein ur purty smile gurl :)

well haven't been here in a while. but this was the natural place to come after i found out about buzz yesterday.
i will never forget the first time i went to buzz about 4 ago. first roll. lol. those days of partying hardy are pretty much over for me but the memories, the music experiences and friendships will last forever.
mad hugs to all the BlueLight Old School crew. i have a feeling some of you are gonna pop out of the woodwork :D

THIS IS DEVASTATING!
I haven't lived in DC for 2 years, but I did drop in on Buzz now and then after I left.
I've partied in LA, NYC, San Francisco, London, and other cities, but Buzz was still my favorite club in the world. The place was magical.
It's a sad day for the scene, a sad day for the country. The war on drugs is destroying the pursuit of happiness.
One ray of hope is that when Fox 5 shut down Buzz a few years ago, Buzz management said the closing was permanent, yet it reopened as Sting a few months later. We can hope the same happens here, but this seems more permanent, especially with the unconstitutional RAVE act in place.
While I feel lucky to have been a part of Buzz for years, I'm so sad that so many people will be deprived of the experience in years to come.
Buzz brought the most talented musicians from across the world to DC. The Federal government could care less about that.
I am so sad.
Also, Ultraworld can no longer throw the DC Armory party at Thanksgiving. I feel for the DC scene so much right now.
Good luck to you all.
Keep on dancing. Fight for the joy.

I copied this from buzz's message board. I don't know if anyone will even get to read this before the evening...or even think its a good idea (I personally don't feel the need to go), but wanted to share with my fellow buzz-lovers :D
I also put this in Official News, because I want everyone to read it, but keep in mind that this is not the official word from Buzz or Nation, this is just my own personal opinion about what should happen tonight, but it seems like everyone I talk to seems to agree that this is the way to go:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHFS is broadcasting a Buzz Memorial show tonight from 12-3, taking phone calls and playing songs and live sets that represent the best of Buzz over the past nine years. This will be a good time for all of us to come together one last time.
I don't know what time people should start showing up. I'd suggest coming whenever you would have normally come to Buzz. Wear at least one item of red clothing so we can still have the party that never happened. Bring glowsticks so we can show the news the paraphanelia that was so awful that the party needed to be stopped.
And bring something to leave at the front entrance of Buzz so we have some physical sign of what buzz meant to us. Bring flowers, bring a stuffed animal, bring a thank you note, bring a card, but let Buzz and the world know what Buzz meant for you.
And hang around until 12, because we'll all crank our car stereos up and groove under the stars to the same great music that brought us together under one roof, every week, for nine years. And then at 3, when its over, we can all finally rejoin the real world.
Here is something I'm cutting and pasting from Jill, with some good advice:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Many people have been talking about having a candlelight vigil at Nation
tonight, which I think is a great idea. I will definitely be in attendance,
but I wanted to kind of set some guidelines down to prevent any possible
trouble.
First and foremost, the vigil tonight is going to be a memorial service, a
place to remember old memories and share those with friends. DO NOT come
down to Nation tonight expecting a protest. There will be a time and a
place for that, but tonight is not it. Please know that ROAR is meeting in
the near future to talk about what can and will be done, and as soon as an
action plan is formed we will let everyone know so that anyone who wishes to
help out can. As for tonight, no one is asking you, or forcing you, to come
down to Nation. This is not like the Rave Act protest, no one is going to
get on your case for not showing up. Different people deal with losses of
all kinds in different ways, and if you feel that attending a memorial
service tonight is something that you need to do, please come down.
Many people have been stating that they do not feel a memorial service is
necessary for a "club night", and if you are in that group, again, you do
not have to come down. But please let those who do want to do this continue
peacefully.
Several things to keep in mind tonight:
-We most likely do not have permission to be doing what we will be doing,
and it can be considered loitering. Hopefully, we will have no trouble.
But remember, if Nation staff asks us to leave their property, we will have
to. Also, if the DC police tell us that we need to break it up and leave,
we will have to. DO NOT take out your anger on the police or Nation staff.
Please remember that the officer or bouncer talking to you has nothing to do
with this situation and is only doing his job. The last thing we need right
now is someone mouthing off to the police and getting themselves arrested.
Be respectful.
-Stay on the sidewalks. The quickest way to make the police decide they
want to break us up is having a crowd blocking the street and traffic.
-Please bring candles, flowers, letters, stuffed animals, candy bracelets,
whatever you feel would be a fitting memorial. I would advise no one to
bring stereos...somehow I can see them causing more harm than good.
However, if someone wants to sneak in a **small** AM/FM radio so that we can
listen to the Buzz broadcasts on HFS, you won't hear me complaining.
Feel free to stop by for as long or as short a time as you want tonight.
I'm thinking that 10PM would be an appropriate start time, as this was when
Buzz would normally be opening. Please everyone remember that this is a
peaceful memorial!
Feel free to forward this as you see fit.
----------------
PS If You have a video camera, please bring it!!!!!
~kristen