BUZZ in DC is over

Rue

Bluelighter
Our website will remain open, as will our messageboard.
We’ll continue the Buzzlife membership policy for future Buzzlife events. Be certain to renew your membership for FREE.
For more info: www.buzzlife.com
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FOR MORE INFORMATION:
September 18, 2002 Amanda Huie, [email protected]
BUZZ ENDS ITS NINE YEAR RUN IN WASHINGTON, DC
On Wednesday, September 18th, after increased pressure from the DC Government, the United States Military and the United States Federal Government, Buzzlife Productions announces that it’s weekly event, Buzz will no longer take place in Washington, DC, effective immediately.
A two and a half year investigation of DC nightclubs was launched by the military to supervise the off-duty hours of their local personnel. Unfortunately, the irresponsible behavior of a few triggered a large-scale clampdown on all military nightlife activities. In early September Nation nightclub was declared off-limits to all servicemen. However, the “witch-hunt” was not over.
In an unprecedented move, the United States Military and the DC Police Department joined forces to share information and resources targeting both the Friday night event Buzz and the nightclub Nation. Innocent patrons were harassed and Nation management was threatened with legal action that could result in the loss of their liquor license.
“It is unfortunate that events that cater to the youth of America historically become targets of government agencies,” comments Amanda Huie, Buzzlife Director of PR and Marketing. “As leaders in this industry, we will not allow Buzz to become a scapegoat, and in essence, tarnish all electronic dance music events.”
Buzzlife, in July of 2002, exposed the injustice of The RAVE Act. This act, being pushed through the Senate, is a clear violation of civil liberties, a person’s right to choose the music they listen to, and an innocent businessman’s right to provide a venue for the music their patrons’ request. Buzzlife’s leadership resulted in national media coverage, protests around the country and the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Leahy’s decision to remove himself as a sponsor of the bill.
Buzzlife Productions is America’s leader in electronic dance music marketing and event promotion. First created in 1993 after a series of successful weekly and one-off events, the company rose to become the #1 Mega-Club in America, as voted by URB Magazine for the past four years.
“We are looking to the future,” says Scott Henry, President of Buzzlife Productions. “With a love of electronic dance music and the people in this scene, Buzzlife will continue to bring the best music to the United States.”
Log on to www.buzzlife.com to find out what will happen next!

When I replied to see if it was really true this is what they said:
Effective immediately.
No events this Friday or serious legal action will be taken...
Much respect,
The Buzz Crew
Buzzlife Productions
3207 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
OOOOHHHH MY FUCKING GOD! I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME HAS JUST DIED AND I'M SHAKING ON THE INSIDE.

FUCK THAT! grrr i just got a call from people...wtf i swear...grrrrrrrr the "scene" has goen to shit ...im out

I live in Richmond and drove just about every Friday because there is nothing to do here. Where the hell will I go to now.

A DAMN SHAME, I just got a call about this and confirmed by checking thier website. I mean WTF, no more MD/DC scene
Hopefully things are still all good with SONAR being expanded and opening up soon. And I guess if I have to I'll suck-it-up and party @ the Edge

The government has gone too fucking far. I was planning on going to Buzz for my first time on Oct 25 to see Tiesto. I really am honestly sad, It seemed like such a great place for everyone to get together and have a good time.

I am at a loss for words. Buzz was my home away from home, and now it's no more. That is a damn shame.

yea this really blows...i was there every friday
good line up or not...So many people i have met there and so many memories...
To all of you guys who went and share the same feeling, Please Visit www.buzzlife.com
And Post on the message board and show yuor support...Not only are we going to miss buzz...
But think of Scott Henry and John Tab and the many other people who have spent so much of their time, within the past 9 years...So post, and show some support and share some thanks :)

Originally posted by Rue:
I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME HAS JUST DIED AND I'M SHAKING ON THE INSIDE.
Damn! */shakes head
Rue, I know this feeling all too well. I felt the SAME exact way when my favorite hangout closed it's doors. I feel your pain.
To all the DC/MD peeps.... I'm SO sorry!!
-Teddy

as far as i'm concerned buzz DC had the best scene and vibe on the east coast...now that's gone? wtf! this is such bullshit i cannot take it anymore.

Why does our government hate our culture so much?? This is absolutely ridiculous... First my favorite hangout in Hartford (Same one Speekah is talking about) was shutdown, and now Buzz. I only got to go to Buzz about once every 2 months, but I still have a lot of memories from there...This truly is horrible. I believe it got shut down because they organized the anti RAVE act rally in DC a few weeks back. Ridiculous.

I guess all that trouble with the demonstration did a whole helluva lot of good.
This is rediculous. Our nations capitol, land of the free, home of the brave... what a fucking joke.
Enjoy what you can get now kidz, becuase I predict that it's ALL going to end within the next 2 years.

Buzz was by far the BEST club in DC. So many good memories there. *sighes* I will definitely miss it.
But, I believe that it will be coming back - just maybe in a different location. I, for one, will be there when it does. ;)
[ 24 September 2002: Message edited by: honEbee ]

r.i.p. buzz.
all good things need to come to an end i guess. buzz was a good thing but there were allot of ugly things there too. maybe when they resurface they'll be able to do away with all the scetchy, red-neck drug people who flocked there.
it's too bad they didn't have the rave act protest this friday - maybe more than, like, 10 people would've showed up this time.

no good. i only been there once but i had the most amasing time of my life and got to meet some awsome people. :eek: ( just isn't rite

I don't know about you guys, but it ain't over. They won't take me away unless I'm kicking and screaming. They can shut down Buzz, but they're not gonna take away my right to party. Buzz was an amazing place, but from what I hear, a lot of people are talking about slowly building up a scene at Velvet, eventually getting the big names there if Buzz doesn't come back. I'm gonna be there this Saturday, I'm all for fighting the good fight. We can all unite against the powers that be.

when i woke up this morning and heard the news i was in utter shock... hell, i'm still in shock (maybe that explains why i'm posting on bl after such a long absence :p)
i haven't even been to buzz in months and the funny thing is that i was considering making my return this weekend - not anymore....
buzz has always been much more than a club to me. i've had some of the best moments of my life in that place, and of course some not so good ones too. buzz is where i met the love of my life and countless numbers of friends. buzz is what helped to introduce me to the scene and was my home away from home for many years. i have so many memories tied up under that roof that it seems impossible that this is happening.
i guess i should mention the edge too... only 2 more weeks (of stereo) and then they're done. apparently they don't want to hold any "rave-like events" either :(
i don't really know what else to say. this is a crushing blow to our scene and although i know that things will recover, buzz will certainly be missed.
but then again, you never know, something tells me this really might not be the end of buzz ;) ...

Originally posted by smh254:

And seriously, this closing of Buzz should come as no surprise. I've never been there but every single one of my friends who went there said it was the biggest fucking crackden they have ever been to. All I know is that there was a lot of blatant drug abuse out in the open, a lot of YOUNG kids with fake id's and basically a total disregard for any type of responsible drug use... That's why it got shutdown and it ruins things for those who like to party sober or responsbily moderate their drug use.

Sean, call me naive, but I saw little of these things you've described. Of course there will always be half dozen or so crackhead kidz floating around... but what club/event/party have you ever been to that didn't have that element? Sure, A LOT of the people that partied at Buzz were high... but that really isn't the point. What is the point you ask? I'm not so sure anymore myself, so why am I telling you what's NOT the point...
Web, stupified...