Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Adrafinil legal in Australia???

jacobianknight

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

Just poking around and found out about this precursor to modafinil. I can not seem to get any good information on its legal status in Australia though. Does anyone know if Adrafinil is legal to buy in Australia without a prescription?

That would be great.

What happens if you try and import a pharmacutical and it turns out its controlled? Do customs just throw the stuff out? Are they likely to prosecute?

I'm trying to do a risk evaluation here.

I'm pretty sure Adrafinil is S4

Schedule 4 Prescription Only Medicine/Animal Prescription Remedy

Schedule 4 (S4) poisons, otherwise known as Prescription Only Medicines, are substances and preparations for therapeutic use -

• the use of which requires professional medical, dental or veterinary management or monitoring
  • which are for ailments or symptoms that require professional medical, dental or veterinary diagnosis or management
  • the safety or efficacy of which may require further evaluation
  • which are new therapeutic substances

If I could find a Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons (SUSDP) around I would be able to tell you for sure. I'm pretty confident it's S4 though. :)

I'm pretty sure Adrafinil is S4

Schedule 4 Prescription Only Medicine/Animal Prescription Remedy

Schedule 4 (S4) poisons, otherwise known as Prescription Only Medicines, are substances and preparations for therapeutic use -

• the use of which requires professional medical, dental or veterinary management or monitoring
  • which are for ailments or symptoms that require professional medical, dental or veterinary diagnosis or management
  • the safety or efficacy of which may require further evaluation
  • which are new therapeutic substances

If I could find a Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons (SUSDP) around I would be able to tell you for sure. I'm pretty confident it's S4 though. :)

How did you find this information? I had a google about and could only find one TGA document that was from 2006 and specified a *suggestion* that Adrafinil should become S4.

What with the abundance of nootropics and legal stimulants - is there a site that the Australian government provide that contains a database of drugs and their schedules? That would save me alot of time and research.

If I get a little more time later I will search around for a reference to support my claims. My statement was based on my previous research and is why I only said I was pretty sure, rather than 100% sure. :)

I'm still pretty sure though ;)=D

I'm happy to do the research myself - I just need to know where to look!

There must be a list somewhere of substances and their schedules...what do the customs guys use?!?

Adrafanil is s4. Look in 2008 Australian Medicines Handbook

I seem to remember that on the TGA site they have a fairly comprehensive list of substances and their scheduling or what permits you need to import them or something, I'll try and dig it up.

jacobianknight, just for the sake of nit-picking: adrafinil is not a precursor of modafinil, it's a prodrug, meaning that your body metabolizes it into modafinil. If it was a precursor then this would be synthesis discussion and this would be closed. ;)

I thought adra was both, that adra was discovered first and then its active metoblite moda was found. Then moda was made from adra

^ I think you're right about adrafinil being discovered first, but I'm not sure about synthesis... looking through my copy of the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Encyclopedia (3rd Edition), it seems modafinil is synthed using a very similar starting chemical to adrafinil; adrafinil is benzhydrylsulphinyl-acetohydroxamic acid, and modafinil's starting chemical according to my PME is benzhydrylthioacetic acid. They may have originally synthed it from adrafinil, but the only source I can find for that is Wikipedia. :\

ETA: I emailed the TGA last night, and they informed me that their website no longer carries a list of substances with import/export restrictions on them, however the Department of Health and Ageing carries the list now.

Prohibited Imports and Exports (Drugs and Precursor Chemicals)

I can't find modafinil nor adrafinil on there.

Last edited:
com.actelion.research.chem.MEAServlet

benzhydrylthioacetic acid

com.actelion.research.chem.MEAServlet

Adrafinil

152px-Modafinil.svg.png

Modafinil

As can be seen above, benzhydrylthioacetic acid is the organic acid starting material for either adrafinil or modafinil. The former is a hydroxylamide and the later the amide. Metabolism of Adrafinil would initially involve removal of the N-methyl OH group (dehydroxylation) which produces the active metabolite modafinil. Thus adrafinil would be expected to be slower to come on than modafinil.

my girlfriends doctor offered to write a script and deal with customs so she could import adrafinil when she was put onto modavigil as it is longer lasting

this is however the same doctor that couldn't suggest a correct dose for modafinil, and said to experiment and get back to him lol

the list of prescription, controlled and otc drugs is the SUSDP, i forget what it stands for but its not available on the net as far as i know. You can find a copy (MASSIVE book) at your local library.

i'll have a look at my mums MIMS and get back to you.

Edit: not in the '08 MIMS, which (i think) means its not available here BUT that doesnt necessarily mean its not scheduled, piracetam isnt in the MIMS but is S4.

Last edited:
^ Look again... the Standard for Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons (SUSDP) is available online. Here is the online version.

For those who are interested, search for 'Part 4' in the document to skip straight to the scheduling list. Though it would be very cool to have a physical copy, the website it's on says you can subscribe. =D

ETA: Unfortunately, both modafinil and adrafinil are in Schedule 4; Rx required.

Thanks Mr Blonde! I thought i'd looked everywhere!

I'm quite surprised at the number of S9 things there are

No problems; if it wasn't for you saying that the SUSDP was what we were looking for I wouldn't have found it and it's definitely useful having a complete list of scheduling - I've got it saved on my computer now. =D

For what it's worth I ordered adrafinil about 3 months ago and cleared customs fine.

^ Look again... the Standard for Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons (SUSDP) is available online. Here is the online version.

For those who are interested, search for 'Part 4' in the document to skip straight to the scheduling list. Though it would be very cool to have a physical copy, the website it's on says you can subscribe. =D

ETA: Unfortunately, both modafinil and adrafinil are in Schedule 4; Rx required.

Thanks everyone for their responses, they have been very useful.

Off topic - I have ordered Piracetam over the internet numerous times (sometimes even from ebay!) and I have never had any problems. Once my package even had a 'opened by customs' sticker on it when I received it. I remember doing quite alot of research and was fairly confident that it was totally legal to import it without a prescription.

^^ Piracetam changed to S4 in mid 2007 i think. I ordered 500g a couple of months ago and it came through fine though. It was labeled as a "dietary supplement" not a medication.