• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ughh....Another Benzo W/D post....

Can anyone giv info on melatonin v. benzo for sleep. My dear old mum has been on xanax for years for sleep, got her off the booze recently (naltrexone) but want to find an alternative for sleep. Apparently melatoni is now available at chemists again. Please. i fucking love my mum more than life, any advice re benzos v mela re sleep?

Fuck, temaxies and alcohol, plus low light atm, equas bad fucking typing. Can y'all hear me?!?!?! I not I will retype tomorrow but if you can then any advice much appreciates :(

Unless there has been a recent change to the laws then the Melatonin available from pharmacies is still only the homoeopathic variety. Actual Melatonin is a Schedule 4 prescription only medicine in Australia, even though it is OTC in the States.

My suggestion is to check the Australian pharmacy type ones and you will notice 'homoeopathic' or '6x' on the packaging. Not the real deal unfortunately!!!!

Thx luv. My friend got it in Jap but askled a paharamcy and theygave t to him, obviously the different stuff. fuck it i;ll reply when sober
sorry

I know this is an old thread, but for the sake of keeping things simple I would just like to give my opinions on benzo withdrawal in Australia.

I have just quit a 2 year Alprazolam 3mg/day dependence.

My doctor wanted me to stay on, but I had just withdrawn from Tramadol and thought I would give Alpazolam a shot.

Withdrawal Schedule:

Day 0: Xanax 0.5mg qid + 1mg at bed time
Day 1: Xanax 0.5mg qid
Day 2: Xanax 0.25mg qid
Day 3: Xanax 0.25mg qid
Day 4: Xanax 0.125mg qid
Day 5: stop

Some of the drugs that are available in Australia that helped me:

1. Phenibut: This is a supplement that can be bought online from body building stores. It is a GABA-b agonist. This was great at relatively low doses, but as the days go by a rapid increase occurs, so I capped my Phenibut use to 1 week. Just remember to stop using phenibut before it has you by the balls. Dose: 2-4 grams per day.

2. Magnesium Aspartate Dihydrate: This is a wonder drug during benzo withdrawal and can be purchased from any chemist or health food store. Typical uses include muscle relaxation, anxiety relief, tension relief. Dose: 1-2 grams 3 to 4 times a day.

3. Taurine: This can be purchased from your local health food store. The typical uses include muscle relaxation, anxiety relief, tension relief. Dose 1-2 grams 3 to 4 times a day.

4. Doxylamine Succinate: This is a otc antihistamine sleep aid which can be purchased at any chemist in Australia. This is a great drug used in the Magnesium, Taurine stack. Dose 25mg at night for sleep.

Notes:

1. The combination of Magnesium and Taurine almost completely relieved my symptoms without being addictive or cross tollerent.
2. My doctor gave me Zolpidem CR for sleep, but this threw me back into withdrawal the following day. So stick to the antihistamines for sleep.
3. And for all those who think substituting to a long half life benzo is a good idea... I found it super hard to quit valium and had to taper over 3 months to get off. I have now quit Xanax 3mg prolonged use in under a week, and to be honest, I really do not feel like using it any more.
4. Exercise is super important during withdrawal. Make sure to do at least 30mins to 1 hour of high intensity exercise every day if you can manage. Your body will thank you.
5. I did not miss a day of work during this withdrawal.
6. It is generally considered best to taper with a long half life benzo, but I just wanted out. So this may not be for everyone.
7. I tried Kava for the symptoms but it has no effect. It is also supposed to work through the GABA-a receptor so this is not a good choice to help benzo withdrawal. (Yes it is still available in health food stores)

Duration of Withdrawal:

There were 3 distinct phases.

1. Acute Withdrawal lasting approximately 1 week.
2. Body numbness and sleep disturbances lasting approximately 1 week.
3. Lingering symptoms lasting approximately 1 week.

So all up it took about 3 weeks to hit baseline. Not bad considering. I encourage you to think about a quick taper under your doctors supervision as prolonging this withdrawal phase eats away at your mental state.

Symptoms Experienced:

Body Numbness
Anxiety
Muscle tension
Over excitability
Anger
Short Attention Span
Trouble Sleeping

Conclusion:

I hope this is of some help to people trying to kick the habit in Aus. I highly recommend the Magnesium + Taurine Stack to relive symptoms throughout the day and at bed time. I just wish my doctor had have told me this...

It is bloody brilliant when you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Nab

One of the best pieces of advice ive read regarding benzo withdrawal. I myself am battling with xanax so your post is invaluable.

I have Magnesium powder 150g for $x - for every 5g dose there is only 2gs in it but there is also 500mg of Taurine as well

I also have Magnesium aspartate dihydrate 50 pills for $x & each pill only contains 500mgs

Both are pretty expensive considering the amount you have to take but which one is the better option?

I didn't bother with Doxylamine Succinate - Asked for it at the Chemist & she came back with Restavit, If i knew it was Restavit i wouldn't have bothered as i've tried that for sleep and it hasn't worked.

Thanks

[EDIT: No prices. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the Magnesium aspartate dihydrate. You did not mention the other Magnesium supplement contents and different magnesium salts can be next to useless.

Remember that there is nothing wrong with dosing higher than I suggested with the magnesium. The only side effect is flushing of the skin, and diarrhea. You will find the sweet spot. When you limbs stop jerking you know you are on the way :)

You can also purchase Taurine from most vitamine shops. A reputable body building brand that starts with the letters (Mus) and ending in (i) will sell taurine in 75 gram tubs. It is very cheap and is very easy to dose. (Tastes kind of sweet)

Doxylamine Succinate is actually the best of the otc sedating antihistamines, but if you have access to mirtazapine, then this will be very beneficial. (Might need to talk to a doctor about that one though) 7.5mg Mirtazapine should be enought to put you to sleep without any negative problems related to high doses.

If you really cannot get mirtazapine (Avanza), and you are looking for another antihistamine that might do the job, try polaramine (Dexchlorpheniramine maleate). Polaramine comes in two preperations, Instant release and slow release. Ask for the ir version for sleep.

You will find that polaramine (very mild) does not put you out like either mirtazapine or doxylamine succinate, but it is better than nothing. However it does not have most of the nasty side effects associated with the stronger antihistamines.

Other than the above comments, I have nothing else to add.

All the best with the quitting.

Benzos are terrible things when you become dependant.

I am more than happy to answer any more questions you might have. Also if you need support, just drop us a line.

Nab