• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What religion most reflects your views: Belief-O-Matic Quiz with poll (updated)

Choose your favourite belief or religion

• Agnosticism

Votes: 114 17.0%
  • Atheism

Votes: 124 18.5%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 129 19.3%
  • Christianity

Votes: 74 11.1%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Pagan & Earth-Based

Votes: 52 7.8%
  • Taoism

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Other belief

Votes: 89 13.3%

• Total voters
Interesting. I'd see that more as "antitheism" than atheism, defining the word from its classical roots.

I find valid aspects in all religions. Ultimately I believe everything is a manifestation of "gods" will anyway, who or what god may be. There are multiple ways to reach transpersonal experiences, and probably countless more we don't know about yet. But I find Buddhism the most interesting at the moment. It's very simple, straight to the point teachings. Very much like modern manuals.

I beleive I am about to contradict myself ... so i won't

Jhon said:
Interesting. I'd see that more as "antitheism" than atheism, defining the word from its classical roots.

from Wikipedia...

Etymology

The term atheism (French athéisme, from athée, meaning atheist, from Greek 'Αθεος, atheos, meaning godless : a-, without; + Θεός, theos, meaning god; it has Indo-European Roots) is formed of the Greek prefix α- (a-), meaning "without" or "not," and the Greek-derived theism (from Θεϊσμός, theismos), meaning a belief in a god. The literal meaning of the term is therefore "lack of belief in a god."

I identify myself as an atheist in its strongest sense. i.e. that there is no god or godlike entity, no spiritual existence and no afterlife in any form.

^Thanks for that definition, it's exactly the one I would use. The one posted by Christian Soldier seems to have been written by someone with a firm belief in God, who sees atheism as "some strange and evil doctrine"!

I really am not against any religion but I'm more inclined towards buddhism but mainly because of the fact that I find their beliefs more pleasing to me. I think each person can find what they are looking for through any of the religions. Everyone has their own preference.

I don't usually label myself when it comes to religion, but I'm sure one of you can assign me a proper label if I explain my beliefs.

Basically, I define god as the power within one's self. All religous concepts are reflections of the human mind, the sources of which could all be linked through Psychology. Each human is their own god, as they are responsible for their own lives. I feel that Theology is important because it tells us a lot about ourselves as humans. Piecing together the parts of this massive work of art we call religion, I think we'll be able to learn a great deal about how we perceive the world, and why we perceive and react to it this way. The answers we're looking for are within us all.

I think my beliefs are closely tied with Secular Humanism, except that I value the term 'god' when defining the potential power in each of us. Plus, I feel that religions are important because they convey strong messages from the human mind.

That sounds to me more like you believe in your own free-will, not that your actually god? What has created you and the entire universe? Not yourself surely. Maybe some unkown force to you? I think this force would be more logical to categorise as god then yourself.

Solipsism is the belief that you are your own god, but it doesn't make sense to me that you view everyone as their own god, more like everyone has free-will. Maybe what your describing is called something else, but I don't really understand. Perhaps expand a little if you wish.

Solipsism
1. The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
2. The theory or view that the self is the only reality.

Well, I don't believe that the universe was "created". I think a lot of philosophical questions are no more than mind games; the result of a human mind trying to apply it's limited concepts to the world around it. Therefore, our imagination begins to mold our perception of the world to fit us, even though the universe doesn't revolve around our rather insignificant lives.

I just believe in the potential of the human mind; meaning, it's all we need to believe in to succeed in our lives. When I say we're our own gods, I mean that religious ideas of god came from our minds, and represents ourselves in many ways, therefore I label humans as the true gods. As for all the unknown, I feel that the reason we don't understand it is because we don't need to. It's important for us to deal with life, not death, for example.

While we might evolve and gain new understandings of our world in the far future, for now, we are expanding in the areas which our minds are capable of understanding. I think humans need to make the same advancements in communication as they do in technology though. If we focus more on Psychology and Sociology, we'll see greater improvements in Social Evolution (which is what we really need now, in this unbalanced world of ours, imho) and we'll also be able to view religion objectively.

I've selected Buddhist, but i am not Buddhist.

n.b. the question here is "Choose your FAVOURATE belief or religion", not "What is your belief or religion".

No, that was just the title of the thread in jest. Read this from the inital post in this thread

Ok, this is pretty simple. Just vote for your belief in the poll above, and share whatever you wan't about your belief.

i choose other because the only religon i need is my own mind. i have nothing against any religons other than christianity simply because it means NOTHING in my life yet it is everywhere and plays such a vital role in destroying society

So how does Christianity play such a vital role in destroying society exactly?

I find it quite enlightening and interesting that you actually single out Christianity as such a vital role in destroying society.

The hostility some people feel toward Christianity is really surprising to me. I know in history this faith has been misused but I have attended inspiring services in the Catholic, Baptist, and Prespeterian faiths that were very open minded and compassionate.

So how does Christianity play such a vital role in destroying society exactly?

Refusing to condone the use of condoms is causing untold damage throughout Asian and African societies

Christian Soldier said:
No, that was just the title of the thread in jest. Read this from the inital post in this thread

Then minus my vote for Buddhism. I do not believe in any form of organised religion, except Quantumprespeterians.

Please be more precise with your questions in future.

Yeah, I voted Taoism because, "All is one: there is no 'good' or 'bad,' only harmony and dischord" is the most interesting belief I've ever heard of. (Apologies if that doesn't accurately reflect Taoism. :\)

It's my favorite belief, but not my own. So I'm sorry if that was unwarranted...

However, don't you think it'd be more fun to discuss favorite beliefs and why, rather than just poll everyone on their actual beliefs and why? For me, hearing what people want is more interesting than hearing what people end up having instead. (To make an example, I'm agnostic, the most boring [non-]belief system there is. There is nothing to think about agnosticism. I like to think about other beliefs, even if I find no logic in actually living by them.) Then again, maybe my mind's 'interest center' just doesn't care whether something is actual or only dreamed-of. :eek:

Last edited:
Twip said:

However, don't you think it'd be more fun to discuss favorite beliefs and why, rather than just poll everyone on their actual beliefs and why?

no, I don't don't think that.:)