• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How much is this going to suck? (alcohol withdrawal)

i suggest clonidine for the withdrawal. its a blood pressure medication that is sometimes prescribed for alcohol withdrawal. by lowering your blood pressure it eliminates some of the symptoms and also relaxs you and helps you sleep. its nearly as effective as benzos and you also dont have to worry about and withdrawals when you come off it. trust me when i say benzo withdrawal is worse then alcohol withdrawal and you should avoid it if you can. you dont want to replace one addiction with another. obviously alcohol is much worse for your body then benzos though.

just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Kannisto said:
i suggest clonidine for the withdrawal. its a blood pressure medication that is sometimes prescribed for alcohol withdrawal. by lowering your blood pressure it eliminates some of the symptoms and also relaxs you and helps you sleep. its nearly as effective as benzos and you also dont have to worry about and withdrawals when you come off it. trust me when i say youre worst off with a benzo addiction then an alcohol addiction.

just my 2 cents...

can someone please explain to me how taking 1.5 mg of xanax a day is worse than drinking 24 beers a day?

burn out said:
can someone please explain to me how taking 1.5 mg of xanax a day is worse than drinking 24 beers a day?
im sorry i ment to say benzo withdrawal is worse then alcohol withdrawal. obviously alcohol is much worse for your body then benzos. i edited my post and i apologize for the misunderstanding.

before i read anyone else's post

i must chime in and say.....please do not attempt this on your own....i had a friend who was drinking about 8 units/day for many many years and he decided to check into rehab....well....they had to give him 80mgs of valium/day to keep him from having seizures....and guess what?? he still had several!!!! please get some help because you could be risking your life otherwise....

currently, my friend is clean and sober 1 and half years!

good luck!!!!

wow doc wat, that's an incredible story. I'm speechless I wish you well. <<<<hug>>>>

To the OP, I would tell my doc about the addiction, take his advise into consideration. If you go it alone, make sure you have someone there on Guard. I never agree with going cold turkey except for extreme cases, I'd try a longer half life benzo temporarily to avoid seizures. Be well.

And some people think opiate wd's are bad...

(Not that they're not, but compared to alcohol, benzo's...)

when you say units do you mean the british measurement or the american "drink" which is .5 oz of pure ethanol?

as for why your hands are shaking, that is a sign of alcoholism. it's usually associated with withdrawal but i think it can happen to people even when they are drinking.

the xanax should help a lot with withdrawal symptoms and prevent seizures, so you could probably do it at home but i have never detoxed from alcohol before so i'm just speculating.

Shaking hands is a sure sign of withdrawal.

Alcohol enhances the effect of GABA on GABA-A neuroreceptors, resulting in decreased overall brain

excitability. Chronic exposure to alcohol results in a compensatory decrease of GABA-A neuroreceptor (down-

regulation = less sensitive) response to GABA, evidenced by increasing tolerance of the effects of alcohol.
Alcohol inhibits NMDA neuroreceptors, and chronic alcohol exposure results in up-regulation (more sensitive)

of these receptors. Abrupt cessation of alcohol exposure results in brain hyperexcitability, because receptors

previously inhibited by alcohol are no longer inhibited And receptors previously enhanced by alcohol are no

longer enhanced. Brain hyperexcitability manifests clinically as anxiety, irritability, agitation, and

tremors(shakes). Severe manifestations include alcohol withdrawal seizures, delirium tremens, and a possiblity

of death.

It's a seesaw. when it's level your fine. when it's pushed down to the left your drunk. When it's pushed down to the right your anxious, irritable, agitated, and you have tremors(shakes).

You said you just recently started to get shakes in the morning, quit now! It only gets worse my friend. HTH.

old thread. sorrry. Might help someone?

Last edited:
Im no expert by any means. Ive been a heavy drinker for 6 years. Im 24 years old. Ive quit for short periods of time, ive experienced withdrawal symptoms all the way down to convulsing in the middle of the night on one occasion just after a few hours of sobriety. I was prescribed xanax on a recent attempt to stop drinking but ended up not taking them and just slowed the drinking down. After the passed few days of very intense drinking I decided to stop. I had half a bottle of wine yesterday to ease the pain. Experienced night sweats, shakes and crazy dreams. Ive been sober 30 hours or more now. Ive been exhausted all day, and the shakes that ill normally get every day, along with rapid heart beat and annoying headache started a few hours ago. Took only .25 mg xanax my hands are steady, my heart rate is normal and im completely relaxed. As long as your body isnt freaking out youre not going to have a seizure from what I understand. Do yourself a favor and take a xanax. Its way better than trying to tough it out.