• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Should Dateline be allowed to continue 'catch a predator'?

ChemicalSmiles

Ex-Bluelighter
I made the ending bold because the whole signifigance of the article is at the end... .so what do you guys think....? I think they should continue to pop the ignorant slobs.

Following suicide controversy, "Dateline NBC" suffers layoffs.

An industry newsletter is reporting today that a number of "Dateline NBC's" staff has been laid off, and those who escaped the ax have been reassigned to other divisions within NBC News, including Stone Phillips.

UPDATE: Television Week reports that the total "Dateline" layoffs across the country would come to around 15. The article (included in its entirety below) also stated: "The ultimate total of layoffs within NBC News is unknown, but people familiar with events so far say that many more employees than expected took voluntary exit packages. That helped reduce the number of layoffs required."

NBC Universal recently announced it would be laying off around 700 employees across the company.

NewsBlues originally reported that "Dateline" had been cancelled, but when the P-I contacted NBC News to confirm this, a spokesperson emphatically replied via e-mail, "This is absolutely, positively NOT true. In fact, by January, Dateline will be on for another night -- Sundays -- when football is gone."

"Dateline NBC" premiered in 1992, and according to information on its press web site, "has brought Americans in-depth coverage of breaking news, including the funeral of Princess Diana, the national manhunt for Andrew Cunanan, the crash of TWA Flight 800, the Unabomber investigation, the Oklahoma City bombing, the O.J. Simpson trials, the Los Angeles earthquake and fires, and the floods in the Northwest." It also has explored a number of strange true-crime cases along the way.

Still headlining our memories is Matt Lauer's interview with a blubbering Miss Spears. Lauer fought to keep his jaws from going slack as Britney cracked her gum and "bwah, haw, hooed" her fake eyelashes right off her face.

Before that, "Dateline" played into another national pop-culture crisis by slobbering all over Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez for an hour. The pair's major accomplishment at that point, beside being involved with each other, was working together on one of the dumbest movies of all time.

But the apex of "Dateline's" history has to be the occasional "To Catch a Predator" series, the lovechild of the NBC News department and controversial Internet watchdog group Perverted Justice, which hunts down online child predators. Tomorrow and next Saturday night's "Dateline" feature the latest installments. (That's on KING/5 at 8.)

We wonder if we'll see anything about one target of a recent "Dateline" sting: Texas prosecutor Louis Conradt Jr. shot himself in the head last Sunday as police arrived at his house to arrest him with cameras waiting outside.
Posted by Melanie McFarland at November 10, 2006 1:20 p.m.

---link--- http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/archives/108631.asp

i don't think this show has anything to do with protecting children.

it's all about being seen to protect children - or seeming to do so - all the while providing cheap titillation under the guise of serious 'news'.

alasdair

Who cares why the media is busting these fucks?
If by catching one they are saving just one child from such a potential abuse, then more power to the media.
I've learned that this is more rampant of a problem than I've previously ever known. Right now I could name off the top of my head about 5 people who have been abused in such a way with their assaulters at large. So many of these crimes go on unrecognized because part of the assaulters tactic is in instilling guilt, shame, and fear into their victim so that they don't report it.
If the media is trying to do a story or uncover a pedophile for the sake of eating a fucking hamburger, who cares. Potential victims are then protected. The media will always be the media. They may always have self-involved intentions.
Which is the lesser of evils?
Seriously!

if the media really cared about the issue, they would spend the huge amount of money they spend producing a glossy show on nothing but actually catching predators.

it's contrived, cynical titillation designed to drive ratings.

alasdair

if anything dateline should pose as the older guy in the cyber scenario. those young girls are asking for sex from strangers, they are the ones who should be exposed.

I don't care how cheesy or ratings-driven the show is. I've got no problem with it. Hopefully, it is putting some of these guys in prison - guys that don't only look for consensual child sex, but also abuse their daughters or kids on the team they coach, etc. The show is also stopping men from looking for child sex on the internet, because they don't want to be revealed on national television.

Some of the girls/boys (in real life) who try to find men to have sex with might end up just as scarred as the ones who get abused without their consent.

If most of the guys are found not guilty, okay. But I guarantee that many molestors are rightfully in jail/prison right now because of the show. This provents CHILDREN from getting MOLESTED.

I have heard stories from people who were molested as children, and believe me, they are psychologically fucked up for the rest of their lives.

What would be on the air instead of 'Catch a Predator'? Some stupid sitcom? A re-run of a news broadcast? I don't watch it, but I've got no problem with it.

As entertainment, yes it should continue. It's fun to watch those guys squirm. It was really funny when this guy got completely naked and was sitting on a stool in the kitchen when Chris Hanson walked in.

From a law enforcement perspective, no. It's not law enforcement, everything alasdairm said is obviously right. More than anything, their partners at Perverted Justice have a serious case of civilian cop syndrome. I read a rather scathing article about this show that portrayed the Perverted Justice people as a bunch of militant vigilantes. It's just mindless entertainment. To Catch A Predator is not making the world a safer place. That job is reserved for Bill Gates.

alasdairm said:
i don't think this show has anything to do with protecting children.

it's all about being seen to protect children - or seeming to do so - all the while providing cheap titillation under the guise of serious 'news'.

alasdair
what he said.

also, if my 16 yr old son banged a hot teacher i would be all "high fives dude" yet if it was my daughter i would be out for blood, so my opinion doesn't count.

This show is entrapment, IMO. Those people are gross, but still, I don't think what they do on this show is right. Some of these guys might not have acted on it if there wasn't some undercover "kid" enticing them.

DarthMom said:
what he said.

also, if my 16 yr old son banged a hot teacher i would be all "high fives dude" yet if it was my daughter i would be out for blood, so my opinion doesn't count.

are you serious? it's your kid, not your buddy..

That show is nauseating.

Yet, I'm forced to admit, the deterrent effect it provides alone is reason enough to continue it.

Does no one else wonder why 60% of the "predators" caught seem to be fresh-off-the-boat Indians?

immortality said:
if anything dateline should pose as the older guy in the cyber scenario. those young girls are asking for sex from strangers, they are the ones who should be exposed.

Right, because a 14 year old should be exposed when a 30 year old wants to have sex with them. **rolls eyes**

More often than not, young girls soliciting sex have deeper psychological problems than they show... i.e. acting out sexually because they are abused or are severely depressed. A 14 year old looking for the comfort of an older person, even if that comfort is sexual, should not be exposed because the older person who knows that they are underage and that it is wrong should be the one exposed.

I do not believe an 18 year old should be jailed for having sex with a 17 year old. But a 30 year old having sex with a 15 year old... sorry that's wrong.

If they pose as an older person and are solicited by young children, the only person that should be exposed is the child to the parents. Which brings it to the issue itself... the parents need to watch what their children do online. If the parents can't watch their children, then safeguards need to be put on the computer.

Benefit said:
As entertainment, yes it should continue. It's fun to watch those guys squirm. It was really funny when this guy got completely naked and was sitting on a stool in the kitchen when Chris Hanson walked in.

yes .. entertainment purposes.. when the guy shows up with a shitload of alcohol and condoms.. and when questioned, he says "i just came over to keep her company. I was concerned because her parents weren't home"... lyin' bastard.....

The main reason that NBC does the show is no doubt because of ratings, but I don't give a shit. They are exposing sickos and help put them behind bars where they belong. Because of all the people Dateline helps put behind bars, there will be less real victims.

And the fact that this show exists probably reduces the number of sickos that will use the internet to try to have sex with 13 year old girls. You never know if you will end up having Chris Hannsen asking you to take a seat.

Right, because a 14 year old should be exposed when a 30 year old wants to have sex with them. **rolls eyes**

I'm sure he was being sarcastic. At least I hope so.

Call me old-fashioned, but I always thought the police were in the business of catching people who commit crimes. And the TeeVee people were around to report on what happens next.

Though, admittedly, we all know that the TeeVee news is pretty much the top of the pile when it comes to integrity and honesty.

I'd trust them not to make mistakes that, let's say, inadvertently tar someone who might be innocent and cause the to commit suicide as a result. After all, all that "due process" and "innocent until proven guilty" stuff is just a waste of time - better to just waste the fuckers, like in the movies right?

What happens when the TeeVee news people go from "busting" guys trolling for kiddie sex to "busting" people trying to buy a half-pound of weed? Is it going to be quite so cool, then? That slippery slope is sure hard to get off of, once the slide has begun.

Peace,

Fausty

The police did bust these people abiet with the help of Dateline and Perveted Justice.

The police can't be everywhere at once and catch all these sickos. I'm all for it if private citizens can help catch these people even if it is for TV. The prosecuter that blew his head off did it of his own free will because he knew his life was essentially over (as it should have been). If by some by some crazy chance he wasn't guilty he wouldn't have done that. He would have been cleared of all charges and probably have won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against NBC. It's not as if these fucks don't get their day in court.

And if someone tries to buy a pound of weed off some random person they met on the interent and it turns out to be Chris Hannsen, it's on them for being so stupid.

dtugg said:
The police did bust these people abiet with the help of Dateline and Perveted Justice.

Yep. It's in a way like someone calling the cops because they see kids smoking weed in the parking lot of their apartments. Only its not kids doing drugs, it's people molesting kids.

What happens when the TeeVee news people go from "busting" guys trolling for kiddie sex to "busting" people trying to buy a half-pound of weed? Is it going to be quite so cool, then? That slippery slope is sure hard to get off of, once the slide has begun.
I consider smoking weed to be a civil right and molesting children to be a civil wrong. So imo there is a big difference.

I would rather the media spent money on this rather than a lot of other stuff seen on tely. Why are a lot of you so against calling people out? I'm looking at the actual event and effect, not the motivation behind it (IE ratings).

Right, I agree that it's entrapment and kind of a b.s. way to catch predators, but I'll still watch it honestly just as entertainment. I think its a pretty funny show.

Did it get taken off the air? I haven't seen it on in awhile.