Heads Up and Member Feedback - Your opinions on the future of the site :)

joannie_mhm said:
My understanding is that the answer was just "No" rather than "We can't".... I don't think it's been that it's too hard to do, but, like you said, if you allow one you should allow all, and then it's the volume that makes it hard to do.

It's a small distinction but one which does mean it's not really two faced.
correct.

and to get things into perspective, out of our 100,000+ registered users, there have only been 20-30 name changes.

zephyr - to say that people may or may not come back to the site based on recognition of certain staff members is a HUGE stretch.

many of the staff name changes have been requested due to privacy concerns, and they don't want them highlighted in public. but you do raise a good point about recognition. we have a list in the staff forum, so i will see if we can make that public for the people that want them made public. :)

We could have a public list for member name changes that were paid for via this process, with links to the before/after profile if people want to look up old usernames and quickly view the new user profile/posts.

^^That would need to be done with the caveat that the person wanted to be found under their new name :\ As you point out, it's a security reason for some of them, and they'd be willing to purchase it (or for staff, they got the perk). But still - not everyone wants an old screen name to be tied to their current activity or old posts. Googling for an old name may still show this cross-over list, which defeats the anonymity they were seeking in the first place.

Keeping the ideas flowing, we're open to all thoughts on the site as we approach the migration. What about forum structure and how the site is laid out? My point being, for n00bs & lurkers as well as Blers....does the current forum arrangement make sense? Should forums be merged, killed, moved around?

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.....yes, I know there are a few threads in SUPPORT already which raise questions on merging or splitting certain forums, and those discussions aren't dead and buried...they'd be part of this consideration as well. But let's break this down into bite sized pieces to we aren't all over the place in this thread, shall we? Let's go top down, if that's alright with you, and we'll eventually get to discussing all the possible re-alignments.

I don't expect a lot of discussion, but we owe a moment of consideration for the topmost forums and groupings:

Bluelight Feedback
- (Hidden Staff Forums)
- Announcements
- Support

Bluelight Basics
- New Member Introductions
- Homeless Threads
- Anonymous Posting
- Testing Grounds

Pillreports.com
- Pill Testing Q&A
- Pillreports.com
- Pillreports Discussion
- Pillreports Staff Discussion

To prevent clutter on this subject and the coming flood of responses, I'll kick out a seperate thread for this discussion. Later, if some consensus is reached, we'll be more than happy to put a poll atop the threads to help gauge actual member interest in our options going forward, but for now let's generate ideas and discussion.

For discussion of the forum arrangments for FEEDBACK-BASICS-PILLREPORTS, please go to this thread:

I'll come back in a week or two and start a thread on the next groupings, so don't worry, you'll get a chance to voice your thoughts on every aspect of the site. Afterall, we're here for the members, and we wish to make sure that any changes we make keep the needs of our members in mind.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suppose, a 'bigger picture' question in line with some of the stuff you guys have already raised would be if you see general improvements that could be made in regards to site structure. Does our current setup make sense or do you have suggestions to improve it. For example, BLUA isn't exactly at your fingertips, and despite numerous efforts to get people to read the G'Guide the don't...so can we improve those somehow? Are there other things that are hard to find or do?

Last edited:
CG, pls take it to the Lounge :). The lulz are generally strong with you, but let's leave them in the right place.

Zeph: good comments. Changing names is relatively easy (at last, the truth!) but takes a good few minutes to do. If we did it for everyone who asked, it would take up probably 20 minutes a day. If people knew that we were doing it, we'd get far more requests than we do now; so it would be a lot more time and effort. Much as I love the board, I've got better things to do with my time :)

How about implementing a premium forum for paid users. In here, you can trade software, recipes, or whatever. There are a lot of forums that do this.

Also, being a little more strict on flaming. It doesn't happen much to me, but It makes me not want to contribute to certain threads. The lounge is somewhere I don't like to go...

And advertisements, I will be more than happy to link bluelight from my web page, using the standard ad size.

I would like to see us all focussing a bit more on what the site is supposed to be about..............Harm Reduction.

care to flesh it out a bit? in what ways is that not happening now? what needs to be done to improve things and who needs to do it?

alasdair

[please don't trivialise discussion in support]

Last edited by a moderator:
Could we please have galleries for everyone that are limited to 15 images so this doesn't have to be enforced manually? TIA :)

Also, a link to a users gallery from their public profile would be very handy. TIA x 2 :)

joannie_mhm said:
My understanding is that the answer was just "No" rather than "We can't".... I don't think it's been that it's too hard to do, but, like you said, if you allow one you should allow all, and then it's the volume that makes it hard to do.

It's a small distinction but one which does mean it's not really two faced.

Its a minor point when the issue I was posting about was losing screen names that have been around for a long time- people who you might not even know who use the site could come lurking around, posting or whatever, if they see the bluelighters who they are familiar with.

The two faced thing is just what I think of some individual cases that well, are two faced due to the circumstances. Maybe a reference to 1984 would have been more apt, but whatever- its not that important. :)

zephyr - to say that people may or may not come back to the site based on recognition of certain staff members is a HUGE stretch.

I fully disagree with you felix. Ill even wager on it- Ill bet that if some old timers who were really well knowledged and great people all round were to return from non- BL land, and post around regularly using their original names, youd get more perticipation from people who came here because they liked what they saw.

I only have $5 and some cheese.

Its more comfortable to walk in to a room full of people you KNOW, rather than some strangers you wouldnt know from a bar of soap.

Virtually speaking of course.

Last edited:
william1985 said:
How about implementing a premium forum for paid users. In here, you can trade software, recipes, or whatever. There are a lot of forums that do this.

Also, being a little more strict on flaming. It doesn't happen much to me, but It makes me not want to contribute to certain threads. The lounge is somewhere I don't like to go...

And advertisements, I will be more than happy to link bluelight from my web page, using the standard ad size.
I love the idea of a premium forum

If such a forum were considered, I would think it would remain bound by our current BLUA to prevent anyone (members, staff, site owner) from being under any suspicion or trouble. For example, drug dealing would remain a no-no, as well as any other how-to illegal activity discussions.

Jay-P Gold said:
[please don't trivialise discussion in support]
how does a person that cant even spell trivialize become an admin and then accuse me of such?

seriously, bring GeeksterGN back! that is my honest suggestion to help with the future of bluefight.

he spelled it correctly, and to answer your request, that guy won't be coming back. (whoever the hell he is.)

this is about the site in general, it's not all about you, flower.

A nice interactive drug chat would be nice. This could create a positive learning environment through intense fact-based drug arguments. You could even have a 3-D chatroom where you can choose your character by the ROA it is engaged in (One shooting, one snorting, plugging, insufflating, taking orally, intramuscularly, subcutaesously, buccally, sublingually, intracerebrally.)Perhaps we can even come up with our own ROAs. These characters will help express our individuality.

Last edited:
felix said:
he spelled it correctly, and to answer your request, that guy won't be coming back. (whoever the hell he is.)

this is about the site in general, it's not all about you, flower.
he spelled it correctly if he were british. dude's profile says he is from richmond, ca, so he should spell it according to american custom.

and yes, everything is all about me!

mikemikemike said:
A nice interactive drug chat would be nice. This could create a positive learning environment through intense fact-based drug arguments. You could even have a 3-D chatroom where you can choose your character by the ROA it is engaged in (One shooting, one snorting, plugging, insufflating, taking orally, intramuscularly, subcutaesously, buccally, sublingually, intracerebrally.)Perhaps we can even come up with our own ROAs. These characters will help express our individuality.

We'll that's a great idea, but no one is going to spend there sweet time programming such a thing.

And there is a chatroom on bluelight bro.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=393353