Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Mushrooms - Experienced - Friend Endures Psychotic Break

vortex30

Bluelighter
This trip and the writing of the report happened about a year ago. I feel that because I'm new here I should post it for you all to read. I hope you guys enjoy it and will be able to take something from it...

Our trip had been planned for at least three weeks when four buddies and myself all bought 36 grams of dried mushrooms and, as my parents would be out of town a couple of days, this day would be a prime point in time to do them. As far as experience goes I have done mushrooms 6 times in doses ranging from 2-5 grams. The others (I, E, and K) were all second time shroomers with the exception of D who had done them 6 times in the past with doses ranging from 1.5-3.8 grams. Almost all of our trips have taken place in my house and it’s a comfortable location for all; much respected.

Anyways, this was in no way a good trip. This story will consist of three and a half hours of great tripping fun and then 3 hours of absolute hell for our entire tripping group. This is gonna be a long read let me warn you but this will hopefully help people with understanding the dangers of high doses of mushrooms.

At approximately 9PM all of us began ingesting our mushrooms. I was taking 4.8g, D took 5.4g, E had 3.5g, I (friend) had 4.5g and K had 3g. I first ate 3g and then 20 minutes later I had the rest. It was surprising how fast D took all his shrooms down (it took him 5 minutes, tops) and I told him to prepare for a very fast ride. We all just chilled and listened to music, some people wanted the lights on, I myself preferred it dark and as we couldn’t decide what we wanted we just split up, with three people playing on the computers in the hall outside my room. I stayed in my room for a good 2 hours listening to our CDs and just chilling, it was a very nauseating come up and I just felt like sitting still. My mood was quite happy right now, however a little ticked at the people talking loudly on the PCs. D was quite calm for a 5.4g dose but I was never really worried he would get into a bad state or anything.

At some point I joined the gamers and played a few round of Geometry Wars, it was a very strange game with tons of colours and well, I just couldn’t handle the high level of sensory input so I switched over to CS, my favourite game at the time. The walls of the level were always a yellow brick, however they were alive, glowing green with vines all over them and closing in on me. I really only lasted a round before becoming overwhelmed again. As soon as I got off the computer I really began to ease into my trip and I returned to the room, all of us were now back. I put my dimmer on so we had a medium level of light (why hadn't I thought of that earlier...). D mentioned the colours flowing out from the dim light and we all, in fact, noticed them. Beautiful.

The music was no longer enough for me and I kinda wanted to watch a movie. One I had seen before, and really enjoyed. Looking at my small movie collection I chose…Reservoir Dogs. Why, oh why this movie. Surely, to a sober mind it is a great film, but to the tripper, well, let’s just say seeing the man bleeding and slowly dieing in the back of the car was very frightening.

Oh, did I mention I was very interested in hippy flipping and happened to have an E. I decided I’d do it, the evening was going fine, and I really wanted to kinda, party rather than be scared by this great film. So I go in my bathroom and pop the pill. I only really told K I was doing it, and as I took it in the bathroom E walks in and is all like what are you doing, oh you took a pill. I was a little apprehensive in telling him I took the E as he had never done it and only really believes in doing natural substances, oh well, that really didn’t matter much, I was just a little ticked off he randomly entered the washroom, I could have been taking a crap for all he knew.

Shortly after dosing, and this is T +2.5ish, I was beginning to feel warm, however I had the feeling I really shouldn’t have done E, I’m not very familiar with it and was of course on 4.8g of mushrooms, a very high dose to begin with. The movie was still going but I didn’t wanna watch it anymore, it was too violent so I turned it off and the music went back on. This was possibly the best part of my trip, just lying in my bed, alone, with my friends coming in one by one and just chilling in the peaceful room away from the war outside. The E was coming on and I did get a little worried about the combination, so I got water as this is always a good idea with E and just decided to stay as calm as I could. The E felt great, like an orgasm all over my body when mixed with the mushroom body buzz, I felt so close to my friends outside however kinda forgot about them at the same time.

After 10-15 minutes of just rolling (literally and figuratively) in my bed I decided I wanted to be with my friends again so I went outside. They were all down stairs watching TV however they were having difficulties with the sound. Futurama was on the TV however the sound was some fishing show…It just didn’t make any sense to me and I just left it for 5 minutes. It was funny watching when the voices would sync up. I actually laughed really hard; however I soon found out the problem and changed the TV input. So now we see men on canoes, fishing, at last. We find Teletoon again and well, the show just wasn’t making sense but it was amusing all the same, many colours and obscene things.

South Park was soon to be on, so, how about we take the poor dog that was actually fast asleep for a walk? 12AM, that’s not TOO late really. I didn’t want her shitting in the house, that’s for sure. I (friend) and E hung back. It was actually really cold outside and I wanted to turn around right away but the dog had to go. D was now becoming a little sketched and really wanted to turn back, but it was only to be a ten minute walk. As we are on the path coming up to my house we see like 3 cars. I live in a really quiet area so this is rare, generally only for cops that are busting drug deals this late at night. This really freaked us all out but D just couldn’t really handle it. One had its light going across the pond and it was just truly fabulous to look at. The reflections just seemed to be alive. Turns out they were just normal cars so it wasn’t the cops, most likely just a drug deal or maybe a social gathering had just ended.

We re-enter the house and D is no longer as chill as he usually is. He paced a little, but we just ignored him. “He’s tripping balls,” I laugh. We all sit down and begin watching South Park. I have some chips and begin to drink my water some more. My trip and everyone else’s were going very well at this point, with the exception of D. He was clearly not in a great place, but he just sat on my chair, looked around lots and was quite quiet. All of a sudden he says something mumbled and we all look over, "Hmm?" We all say. “I…dunno, I…Keep the dog under control.” He says. She was fast asleep. You’re tripping man, just chill.

All of a sudden I hear a phone, uhh oh. It’s D’s, Home, it says. You gonna answer man? I…can’t bro. Hmm…Ok, I guess, say you couldn’t find your phone. Ya…We sit down, and D gets up. He goes into my kitchen and just bangs the counter quite hard. He’s going crazy I was thinking. After 5 minutes of banging about and him mumbling some fucked up shit about my sliding door and the number 16 I convince him to just give his mom a quick call so she can sleep sound. OK…OK, he calls. Hey mom, uhh, ya, ya, ya, ok, ya, ok, chilling with I (as in our friend, this was just, silly, as he was at my house, I (me) was standing right next to him, and his mom would have NO idea who I is as she's never met him), ya, yup, k. Hangs up. BAIT! Dude, that wasn’t too chill…You were pissed at her. Ya, ya, well I fucking…16 + 2, ughhhh.

He was now going a little insane, psychotic break, I feared. D is quite big, however, I and K are bigger, not as strong, but he couldn’t be too hard to control if worse comes to worse and I’m sure I can talk him down. Sure enough he whips his phone to the floor in my kitchen, nothing breaks, thank god. Dude, chill out man, it’s just a bad vibe, it’ll pass, bro. I can’t fucking do this! Too, gah…mumbles, mumbles. Just chill man. He goes in the kitchen and slams the counter again. Hey! Chill out! He returns to the living room and climbs on the clay tiled table I have. You’re gonna break it man, seriously calm the fuck down! OK, OK, table, I uhh, get down, right, sorry. Phew. Nope. Fuck, he’s climbing up the fucking…wall. That’s right he’s on the back of my couch and trying to climb the wall by grabbing the mounted surround sound speakers. Shit, something is gonna get broken, I know it…Hey, D get down, c’mon let’s go in my room, smoke some bud. OK, ya, weed, great, ya, I love WEED! He runs up the stairs and rams into my parent’s door. E was on the couch upstairs and was just freaked out didn’t really realize this was going on. The door got dented and split a bit and I knew we had to get him under control. I grab him and sit him down on the couch. Chill here man.

I get K and I to help me subdue D. He was really resisting and K began talking to him very soberly, D we’re you’re buddies, just calm down, OK? 64 65 66 67 68!!! Whatta whata hoo!!!! You’re a joker, D, I say. Ye, that’s right. He jumps over the railing behind my couch and grabs it, so he is now hanging in the stairway, but a good floor up. Shit, shit, D, get the fuck down, FUCK, we grab him. He is now full out yelling and grabs a picture off my shelf, looks at it, laughs hysterically and throws it, luckily only a cheap, plastic frame, broken. He runs into my room and hits his head on my shelves, really hard, to the point that things are falling off of them. Dude, don’t do this! He jumps on my bed and grabs the ceiling light. Oh no…The glass shatters, all over the place. I now knew how serious this was, he isn’t having any fun at all, this just isn’t him, full out psychotic break. I get physical with him and throw him in my washroom. He is very hot. He runs out the washrooms throws the bowl of WEED at my shutters, two of them break. He continues to run out my bedroom door and catapult himself over the railing at the top of the stairs and grabs a hold of the hand rail. OK, that’s it, I call K and we begin full out wrestling him into submission, moving him towards the bathroom.

A struggle in the bathroom breaks out. This guy, our good friend, is actually fighting us, but then, not exactly. It was extremely strange, he would bite my leg, and laugh, and be like man, you know what I’m saying, just like, 16 + Sam and Katrina. He was scared as hell, burning up, we were all just trying to get him to submit, but he just would not. Let’s get him in the shower just to cool him off a little, his body felt very, very hot. Me and K were both lifeguards (I’m still certified) and K was suggesting we call poison control. I said that's not gonna help, we need tranquilizers or time to fix this, that it's just the drug messing with him, but on a very deep level.

After my full bottle of shampoo was exploded on the wall and a few more minutes of struggle I just start to realize how messed up this is, everything that is broken, up to this point I just didn’t really care, and really tried to block all that out and just help my friend. More struggles and we get I to help us. E is extremely upset, worried, pacing and he leaves. I knew letting him go alone was not a good idea, but we needed everyone here, and I wasn’t leaving my home.

We call for back up, we need sober people here. I call M and S. M is first on the scene and although he isn’t much bigger than me (therefore small) it is nice to just know someone with a really straight head is here. The ecstasy, I suspect, was a mix of MDMA and speed as I no longer felt empathy, just, sober, speedy, it could have been adrenaline from fighting this mad man, who knows. S shows up shortly after and D is finally getting more controllable but still struggling even though we had him totally locked down to the ground at this point. He would struggle for 2-3 minutes then be calm for 10. This lasted 3 hours overall, from the point he threw his phone to him being calm and no longer needing restraining. We smoked some weed in my room as I (friend) watched him and then I (me) called E to get him back here…What was he doing that whole time…Turns out he walked around and just tripped out for 3 hours and went to our regular outdoor hang out spots (all very far apart, lol).

D was still tripping hard but calmly, just lying there, staring at his hand. Could it be permanent? Unlikely I say, I mean, these things CAN happen, but rarely do and when they do the person is generally fine once they come down. We passed out around 4:30AM, T+7.5. I actually cried a little, we were all just really stunned at what happened. S and M then left.

The next morning D was stunned at what happened, he remembered talking to his mom, then nothing. He felt like he died, had remembered all his life’s memories and just saw like photographs go through his head of past times. Every time he talked, he came a bit back to reality and when he reach the semi-reality, he believed cops were around trying to take him down, not his friends. He told me that for the whole trip he thought we were all yelling at each other, that all our friendships had been severed. He also saw our eyes as big black holes, and he thought that my dog was being vicious. We have plenty of theories on what set him off, but I think it was the phone call that tipped the scales and everything else he was experiencing that aggravated it. I now have a profound respect for this drug unlike my adolescent belief that they were 'just shrooms'. There was a moment when D was lying between me and the door to the bathroom and I just couldn’t walk over him, he’d attack me I was sure. I just sat in my tub, all upset, but holding it in.

Anyways, don’t mess with high doses of shrooms unless you are very experienced. This happened off 5.4g. My first time I did 5g (2.5g and then a 2.5g booster after like 2 hours), but I was just, fine, I knew I could handle it and I never lose my cool, not like that anyways. It’ll be a good $200 in repairs, so let’s just say D got to experience a $200 bad trip and we’re all just very stunned at what we witnessed.

D experienced a very rough time in his life after this trip, I think it affected him, a lot, because in just 5 days after, he lost his job and his parents kicked him out of his house. He did get better though, I'm guessing he felt he had found freedom and truth, and that probably played with what he thought was acceptable in reality, but when he had to sleep in public parks for 5 nights in a row I think he realized all he did was unlock a part of his brain that he'd rather keep locked up. He did Ketamine about a month after this trip, and regretted it and hasn't done a psychedelic since. He also got into Coke more recently but has stopped that too.

Just a week ago, K, I and myself were tripping on LSD and D showed up, we were all afraid to be around him but soon realized that well, he's sober and not gonna freak out, so it was good but D brought up a good discussion. It was K's first time on LSD and he mentioned that LSD is a fucked up drug and he doesn't think he'll play with it anymore. D went on to correct him somewhat, stating, no, Coke is a fucked up drug. So there you have it, from someone who has experienced a psychotic break and addiction, he'd take the psychotic break again, any day.

Play safe, friends, let us always remember we ARE playing with fire and that we must respect the substances we take and use them with irregularity. For the only good path with drugs is moderation and education. Anything else will lead us to fall.

Tagged by bindingaffinity
substancecode_mushrooms
substancecode_tryptamines
explevel_experienced
exptype_negative
exptype_disaster
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice trip report, I love reading stories about "trip disasters" as erowid terms it. Just one small suggestion: could you break up the dialogue onto separate lines and put quotations around it and stuff? It's just hard to tell who's saying what at some points in the narrative.

I think it was more of a traditional freak out and not a full blown psychotic break. But very frightening none the less. This illustrates yet another reason why it is better to trip in the forest where things cant be broken and freak out victems can simply wander around rather than be fought to submission.

Shit, man, you tripped on that much shrooms inside, watching the TV?? I'm not judging you, but for me, that would be abusing the drug. I'm with theWorldWithin - it would be much better to take it out in nature, where you're at one with the earth and aren't going to encounter straight people.

please name threads correctly here

substance - experience - title

Interesting report.

Haven't done shrooms myself.. yet. But i've done LSD.. and i know there somewhat different.. but yeah you gain a different respect for the psychedelics after experiencing them.

Good work how you guys took control of the situation, i know if i was tripping and watching someone freak.. i wouldn't be able to help, i'd probably be laughing an unable to express myself.

Good job.

Interesting report. Very good read.

And as it's said above, congrats for pulling your shit together and helping him - it could have been a lot worse.

I think a lack of experience and confidence probably had a lot more to do with this freakout than the setting. Indoors or outdoors just doesn't matter nearly as much as YOU.

Read here for my unparalleled, incredible trip on 6.5g of cubies-- indoors. It's all about your comfort zone, and how confident you feel about exploring the psychedelic landscape.

^^ That is, of course, true, but in my experience it is much, much easier to become freaked out while indoors. Anytime I start to feel overwhelmed by a psychedelic, I go outside and it gets instantly 10 times better.

That said, all of my +4 experiences have been indoors.

I don't think that D getting kicked out of his house and losing his job 5 days later was a result of the trip. Most likely it was something that was happening before the trip. This might even be why the trip turned the way it did, especially since it happened right after talkin with his parents.

Besides he would have had to have went off the chain to get his parents to kick him out of his house and his boss to fire him in 5 days, leaving him homeless...

I don't think that D getting kicked out of his house and losing his job 5 days later was a result of the trip. Most likely it was something that was happening before the trip. This might even be why the trip turned the way it did, especially since it happened right after talkin with his parents.

Besides he would have had to have went off the chain to get his parents to kick him out of his house and his boss to fire him in 5 days, leaving him homeless...

i believe this response might be almost completely accurate, i mean, he might have been arguing with his parents and the reason he wanted to join you guys on that day was to get away from his parents so if his mom called, he would have to displace his anger onto something under him like objects, and since mushrooms makes emotions severely sensitive, it made it act that way.

btw, vortex, if you had the chance to take E and shrooms again knowing nothing bad will happen or by yourself, is it worth the experience? or too dangerous?

You guys were careless with the drug. It happens. You live and you learn.

This was a cool report. It's a bummer that you didn't get to really enjoy it. I just wish one of the people wasn't named "I" as it made it kinda confusing to read in a few places, but no biggie.

That trip-numerology thing sounds familiar. Once I took 10 HBW seeds and around 100mg of 2C-E dissolved in liquid in a visine bottle. The kid who offered it to me told me it was liquid LSD. Since I didn't feel much off 10 drops within 45 mins, I thought it was bunk and just finished the visine bottle. The next day he told me it was actually 2C-E, but "nobody" knows what 2C-E is. Assclown. The trip was really beyond words in spite of this goofball trying to pass 2C-E off as LSD and thus leading me dose it way too high, but I remember acting really sketchy at the end, saying stuff like "3, 13, 39, 1939, March 13, Friday the 13th, 96, 12, Sagitarius...." I really should get the whole experience down on paper, thanks for inspiring me.

Sometimes I really want to do it again and go back to that incredible headspace, but, as they say, you can never dip your foot in the river water twice and I'd probably be disappointed or worse if I went into it with those expectations. TR to follow...

That was a really interesting report. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share it. Good on you, too, for taking care of your mate.

You guys were careless with the drug. It happens. You live and you learn.

^^^^ You guys didn't give the mushroom enough credit. It almost sounds to me like you got some less than stellar shrooms if you were even able to sit around watching South Park on 5 grams! :D And it's pretty obvious that something was bothering your friend.