• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

the only reason I really want to join is for the fitness aspect of it. Money means absoultely nothing to me in life.

do they teach the officers the same things they would an enlisted man?

I can think of a thousand different ways to get in shape besides joing the military/marines. Sheesh - that's just asking for like 3 months (however long bootcamp is) of pure hell just to get in good shape. That's like using a thiry aught sx to kill a fly.

Go to Gold's Gym and hire a personal trainer.

Never heard of anyone joing the service just to get in shape.

Hektic said:
I thought all the services were paid the same?

Marines are basically the best regular soldiers when compared to regular army troops.

Umm, Rangers anyone? The Airborne Rangers have the second hardest training in the military forces. This is second only to the SEALS, and then there are other forces, but they don't really exist, now do they.;)

DrEIMiller said:
I can think of a thousand different ways to get in shape besides joing the military/marines. Sheesh - that's just asking for like 3 months (however long bootcamp is) of pure hell just to get in good shape. That's like using a thiry aught sx to kill a fly.

Go to Gold's Gym and hire a personal trainer.

Never heard of anyone joing the service just to get in shape.

anyone can say they joined Gold's gym, but not just anyone can say...yeah...I survived the marines bootcamp.

and as to why I didnt just pick the seals or rangers.

I'll try to build up to that. But I do HOPEFULLY plan on atleast trying out for the Seals.

just so you know, unless you can manage a way to get discharged honorably, you're in for a minimum 2 years

I graduate at the end of this year, I was planning on joining at the end of this year. But I have a friend that asked me to wait until he graduated (2 years) and go to bootcamp in the Buddy program.

and that will also give us enough time to train and all.

but couldnt I serve out my term with the Marines, then go to College and become an officer in say the Airforce/Army/ Navy?

yeah, the time is no problem. I get a bed, food, and a roof.

I'm good to go.

the only problem I'd have is going to war. I'm not a big fan of killing. I dont even hunt :\

If I join its going to be in about 2 years or so....I really dont want to do the whole war thing (call me a pussy)

LOL :\ 8o

i wouldn't 'call you a pussy' but i'd question your logic!

dbighead2 said:
the only reason I really want to join is for the fitness aspect of it. Money means absoultely nothing to me in life. do they teach the officers the same things they would an enlisted man?

That has got the be the most foolish thing I've ever heard in my ENTIRE LIFE. You want to join the Marines to get into shape? Fuck man, you must be one of the laziest bastards on the planet. Why do you need a Drill Instructor to kick your ass into shape? I'm sure there HAS to be a few former-Marines in your area that would gladly put you through everything a "real" Marine goes through. Hire a personal trainer, avoid the possibility of having to kill or be killed.

Money means absolutely nothing to you? I don't see you getting too far in THIS society.... but whatever.

And no, they don't teach officers the same things as enlisted.

You know what... on second thought... go sign up tomorrow on the delayed entry program. Sounds like to me you need direction, not physical fitness.

the only reason I really want to join is for the fitness aspect of it. Money means absoultely nothing to me in life.

I have to agree that this is one of the stupidest things that I have ever heard. I am half tempted to get my fiance' on here and have him give you a piece of mind on the USMC and on your reasons of joining and not joining for awhile. As said, if all you want is the physical training, join a gym. Or is it all that you want to do is be able to say...ooheee look at me, I am a marine.

Do you realize what the marines in this country are currently going through? I have so many friends that are back in Iraq. My fiance wasn't here to see the birth of our son because he was in Iraq. He had no choice in this. If all you want to do is get into shape, then quit being a lazy fuckand get off your ass.

If you want to be an officer, go to school, then join the service!

I get a bed, food, and a roof.

Good luck! The barracks in the suck. The food, eh I have heard it can be shitty, but can be good.
As for a roof...do plan on being in your barracks all the time, or let me guess you plan on being a POG? Good ole' desk job.
If not, then you will spend lots of time in the field, no roof, no shelter. Freezing your freaking ass off. If you want to eventually become a seal, you will go thru survival training.
NO FOOD, fend for yourself in snow!
Believe me, I know of others who have done it. No I haven't myself, but have heard enough stories from my fiance.
Make yourself shelter, in snow even. Snow up to your chest at times.

Maybe you should go on survivor on something, and see if you can handle it first...haha

the only problem I'd have is going to war

If you don't want to go...don't join! That is one thing you have to realize once you join, you can be sent anywhere, whenever they want to send you...not whether you want to go or not!

thanks for all the advice, even the negative stuff.

and I'm not lazy at all. I just want more of a challege.

Yes I know what the Marines are going through, and it makes me sad that they're put in that position in the first place.

But they're doing their job, when they enlisted they signed up knowing there would be the possibility they could die or miss major events in their families lives.

as for the shelter and food and all. I said that meaning that I didnt mind sleeping outside or eating shit. To me anything is better than nothing. As for the snow brrr. Living in SC that isnt something we see alot of haha.

MissTwitch, I'm sorry about your Fiance not being there, I know that had to be tough on the both of you.

and I dont want to be a Marine just to say, "ooo look at me, I am a Marine", I'd like to be one for the honor that comes with being one and the feeling of family. Which is something I've never had.

I dont really have a "family" so I really have nothing to leave behind if I did join the service, and I'd like to see the world someday. I just wish I could see it on better terms.

I was talking to a friend of mine (who's family is the service) and he told me to go take the military intelligence test. So hopefully I'll be able to go take it fairly soon to see how well I can do.

Last edited:
the army kills people...while this isn't the only thing they do, it's one of their main objectives. if you don't want to kill people, don't join the army.

also, my friend was top of his ROTC class and refered to the marines as "meet shields". take that as you will..

here is my suggestion. find a really big forest (with millions of acres), walk into it, and try to survive for as long as you can. that'll tuffen you up ;)

good luck and god speed

Wow, there are some really stupid posts in this thread. A whole bunch of people talking out of their ass. Not everyone but quite a few. Just addressing that problem I'll enlighten you on several issues.

-Joining the Marines to get inshape is like buying a car so you can at some point build a tire swing. The Marines are not all about being in shape. Marines stay inshap so they can do a very dangerous job. The Marines are all about the meshing of individuals into a fighting force that is both effective and extremely hard working. It is also about being involved in a brother/sisterhood. Try looking up what 'Semper Fidelis' means.

-The USMC is a part of the Department of the Navy. Ever heard what Marine stands for? My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment (just a little joke Devil Dogs). However, there is a serious component to this. Any funding the Navy receives goes to supporting both the fleet AND the USMC. Both branches are underfunded due to that fact.

-The Air Force does NOT advance fast. The quickest advancement in the Armed Services IS the USMC. 8 year MC staff seargants (E6) are very common but 8 year S. Airman (E4) are far more common.

-The Air Force gets paid to extra money to stay in Navy/Marine Corps housing due to "substandard living." Both Sailor and Marine barracks suck a fat one. However, MC and Navy galleys (mess halls) kick the shit out of ALL the branches.

-Most people who join the USMC and Navy join to go to college. Most of the get out so that they can go to college. We are busy as bees here people. So do the right thing, get an education, and then join as an officer.

If I missed anything, let me know.

Training? Are you kidding me. The marines will take who ever the navy, air force, and army wouldn't. Training is, you have to be dumb enough to believe whatever some leg drill instructor tells you about being a marine. And NEVER trust a recruiting, they're just car salesman with medals on their chest from winning some marine corps vollyeball game.

^^^And are we expected to believe someone who can't write an understandable sentence?

hahaha yeah seriously.

wait, you mean they get medals for volleyball games in the marines, count me in:p

but yeah I do believe you on the never trust everything a recruiter says, considering they get paid to recruit you.