• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction A Guide: Injecting into the Femoral Vein

What is happening to me?

Additional: I am using always CLEAR equipment! each shot, new needle. 1 barrel; after being used max 4 times, well cleaned...

Last edited:
nice post man!! i always appreciate a well written guide to injecting. i remember when i first started injecting, i had no available resources to teach me so i just taught myself. great to see someone taking time to teach others.

I REALLY HAVE PROBLEM PEOPLE...

I don't know what it is, but whenever I inject into femoral vein - i get bruises from the part where I injected all way down to my knee... And it hurts for several days. I inject methadone 10mg/ml solution. It's colorless, but it has 96% ethanol in it, and methylparaben, proplylparaben... It seems that when I want to inject 100mg = 10ml, I have really hard burning sensation even at my femoral. For instance, the burning effect is no to small when I do 8ml of methadone (80mg) and 4ml of cold water.
- But still, I am getting bruises after shot. Couple hours later, I get them.

Please people help me, WHY!?

I am a bit fat, 93kg and tall 175. I have no problem finding femoral, but not like on picture, on upper side of groin but on the leg. I insert needle in the leg part of the groin area. And I have to insert whole needle (green one)... I think it's 21G 1 and a half inch one.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Here is a very informative guide about femoral injection with all do's & don'ts, it's a good harm reduction guide that worths to take a look at.

http://tr.scribd.com/doc/183927916/Femoral-Injecting-Resource

This is not so useful, as the guy is injecting into place where SWIM is feeling the pulse, and there is a groin. So, it shall be at the part of the leg, same thing but downer, below that white part where the groin is... But, once again, why am I getting bruises after injecting ? I apply pressure with tissue for about 3-5 mins. Can it be due the fat tissue being fed up with blood, in between of hitting the vein and getting needle out?

Hi I have been an I.v. user for going on ten years... I have wasted all my arm veins left n right, the odd odd occasion I might luckily hit one but not very common, and am covered in bruises from doing so too afterwards. I have been a groin injector both sides for about six years and have had dvts in both legs... I try hitting my femoral before I start bruising up my arms again, just to basically see if I get lucky... I seem to get it sometimes after digging around it almost seems easy but then when I retry thinking great ill be able to get the groin again, nope all goes pear shaped and I just cannot seem to locAte it again, I tried greens y'day thinking maybe it's just sunk further back BUT no chance, it's getting annoying though. Fed up with missing in different places and have tried what users refer to as your blood bank in the inside of the inner upper arm/s BUT even that doesn't work, any suggestions and please don't say give up its not that easy it just winds me up not being able to have a decent thing, sit there wondering did i get most of that or did I miss some etc??

Just want to thank the original poster for this info. Hands down the best step by step guide for successfully injecting into the femoral vein. It worked for me on the first try. I can hit both sides and I am a very happy camper. I know that hitting below the waist is no good, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Could you give me a link or something iam cracking up wasting my gear no one wants to help cheers

I have no choice but to go for the groin going to rehab soon but just craving on a few last hits

Why not plug your dose rather than inject into sensitive areas? It will still get you just as high and have a rush too

Hi kwik missed a shot of suboxone near his femoral vein and is now swollen in his pubic area and his ball is swollen and purple.... what should he ? Will this kill/hurt him?? HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi kwik missed a shot of suboxone near his femoral vein and is now swollen in his pubic area and his ball is swollen and purple.... what should he ? Will this kill/hurt him?? HELP PLEASE!!!

Jesus Christ man! Go to the hospital!!!

Honestly, I used, primarily, my left and right femoral vein for the last two years, and have on a few occasions missed into the artery, and quite often your dick or your leg will swell up. Should you go to the hospital if this happens? Yes. But, at the same time, no you are probably not going to die.

Also, the femoral vein is really, REALLY easy to hit, IF you are an experienced IV drug user who knows what they are doing. This is something that needs to be taught from one user to another, I wouldn't just 'go for it'. Once someone shows you though, the correct way, there is no easier vein to hit, it's so easy in fact, that I used to do it without even looking at night if I had no flashlight (this was stupid and arrogant, but really, it is that easy), and as long as you use clean points they will last you a long time.

It's the kind of vein that you just know when you're in it, man, I'm having a moment now, listening to turbonegro and thinking about the femoral vein is getting me hella nostalgic. The last few weeks I was homeless I was camping in my buddies tent and we had one flashlight to share, which was his and I'd always get super impatient and just say fuck it, feel for the artery, jam in the spike, pull back on the plunger, and if it didn't move, BAM, shoot that sucker up. Terrible moment in harm reduction history lol.

Also, this guide says that 28-29g needles may be better for hitting the fem-this is not true, you want a 27g, whether you're using the long tips or the mediums, you want to use at 27g or at least a 28g. If you're super fucking thin like me you don't necessarily need the long needles, you can hit with a 1/2'' spike but you got to go lower down on the groin, the higher up, the deeper the fem is.

Go to the hospital now. People have lost limbs after one missed sub shot because of the formulation ingredients. I don't know if they were shooting pills or strips either way it's better to be safe than sorry.

If this person has not gone to the ER they must go ASAP EVEN IF AMBULANCE IS REQUIRED. Especially when it's developed that far.

Okay, but kwik said that he hasn't had any complications and that he feels completely normal. All that's wrong is that he is swollen and his right side of his ball sack is purple. So best advice, hospital?

Your ball sack is purple.... Yes go and make sure nothing's wrong. Who are you going to rely on some random stranger online not being in person to observe it, but just going off your non medical description or a doctor at a hospital with the facilities and equipment to make sure you're OK.

Edit: no one even told you not to go, but to not worry and definitely go. Not going will likely lead to it getting worse.

Okay, chick missed a shot of suboxone here and now has a big purple blotch on her leg it looks disgusting what should she do?

@fallen_eden . . . . I am a heroin user and I had recently rum out of spots that I could hit by myself. I had heard about hitting the femoral b4 but was always scared because I've accidentally injected into arteries b4 and it hurts like shit! Anyway your post was very informative and I was able to read it and hit the FV first try very easily. Thank You for writing this post about safelt using the FV.

Well said. I'm 46 and my body went thru hell for years. It use to take hours for me to have a shot. Going thru bag after bag. Blood congealing in fits. Getting cellulitis, septic ama, endocarditis. Now I go in my femoral vein it's quick easy clean. Wish I'd done it earlier. But as a rule I won't inject pills,methadone there,. Only gear and don't overuse it.