• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone WITHDRAWAL questions

nile420 said:
I can't fucking take this restless leg feeling shit, and my mind keeps racing and playing the same fucking Elvis song (you aint nothing but a hounddog, cryin all the time) out my fuckin head! cause i saw forest Gump the other day.

Whats good for a restless body/legs? i've never had to deal with this shit befor, i'm 25, would sex help? how bout running around the block for an hour? anything please, help.

Went to take an Oxy 40mg (only have 2 left) and i broke down and started crying like a bitch, hangin all over my girl just cryin, NEVER has that happened to me befor taking a damn opiate, thats how i know im done with this shit, for good.

i just can't wait to be/feel normal again.

Get Clonidine (Cataptress, it is for high blood pressure, which you have when you are in opiate W/D's.)
You can take up to 0.6mgs a day.
Also, there are 2 meds for RLS, Mirapex and Requip.
Ask your doc about those.
They have serious side effects, like falling aslep when you have nno clue you are about too.

But GET the Clonidine, it will REALLY help you sweetie.
Peace,
hana

Actually methadone DOES affect your BONES.
It also is responsible for the lack of saliva production..which causes your teeth to rot.

Your bones become QUITE BRITTLE.
Easy to break.
This is NOT a myth.
Period.
Peace,
Hana

i have been on it close to two years. only went to 25mg(liquid) i was down to 2mg and i still felt fine except i had cravings and ended up fucking up. so i went back up to 10mg. if you go really slow below 10mg you shoud be fine. most of it is mental and because of the horror storys you hear. try going down 1mg every 2-3 weeks and you should be fine.

I would NEVER tell anyone that methadojne W/D is easier than it sounds.
That's Bull.

Well said :)

I think that attitude comes from the fact that methadone withdrawals are different for everyone and are greatly affected by how long you've been on it, your personal metabolism and physiology, etc. Some people are on methadone for like 1 month and they are slow metabolizers and don't have as hard a time getting off of it, and then they assume that it's exactly the same for everyone!

For me, it is the worst thing I have ever experienced - and I have been through a lot in my life. It's hard to even put the agony into words, often when you read about it it just makes it sound like a bad flu or something (and it is a million times more miserable than that). Plus even doctors perpetuate the myth that if you slowly lower your dose that you will only experience very minor withdrawal symptoms, if any. That is bullshit. Especially for people who are on methadone for years. Some people who stop taking methadone after 10+ years of use never feel normal again :-(

I guess in a way it's good that my original methadone doctor lied to me about the withdrawals, because otherwise I probably wouldn't have taken it and who knows where I would be right now, probably dead or still using and living a miserable life that revolved around heroin. At least methadone was able to give me my quality of life back and take care of the physical withdrawals so that I could work on my mental addiction and eventually stop using heroin and have a somewhat "normal" happy life (at least while I was taking a stable dose of methadone and not trying to quit it). But I do wish there wasn't so much misinformation on methadone out there and that they didn't strongly encourage everyone to be on life-time maintenance. When I started I had no idea that the longer you took it the worse withdrawals would be and the harder it would become to even gradually lower one's dose. I wish my doctor had told me that. The problem with short-term methadone detox though is that it doesn't give people enough time to work on their mental addiction and the reasons they use opiates in the first place, and most people just end up relapsing right away. so I guess it's a "rock and a hard place" type situation :-(

Hi,

i did methadone for some years, i got 80mg daily.reduction didnt worry me,was really easy.when i reached 20mg i kicked the methadone.i took high doses of promethazine,about 300-400mg and had only one withdrawal symptom: restless-legs.i took the promethazine for 2 weeks and i must say for me its perfect to quit,no sweating,no pain,no freezing,and the anti-cholinergical killed the depressive thoughts..........:)

Right now I'm on 65 mg per day. Somehow, even though I made it clear over the phone to the clinic for the past 2 weeks that i want to reduce my dose, they've upped my dose by 10 mg!

So now it'll take even longer than planned to get down to 30 mg for the switch to subutex.

I'm curious, say i have my dose reduced by 5 - 10 mg every 2 weeks, will i begin to experience withdrawals straight away? & if i'm reducing that gradually, will i feel like hell the whole time time i'm titrating down to 30 mg?

I'll have some diazepam on hand - 2mg tabs prescribed but i can buy some 5's Also a large box of loperamide & somthing like phenergan or elavil to help sleep. You think this'll be good enough or is clonidine a pretty much essential part of methadone wd, even if it's gradual?

Okay, I just tried methadone for the first time the other night without having any opiate tolerance, on sunday night. I did 5mg without a tolerance, and now it is two days later and I feel like I'm having withdrawal even though it was my first time ever taking it, my body feels really hot and sweaty, my stomach is uncomfortable, anxiety, really bad depression and anger, ect. How long will this last? Its definitely not all in my head, because I'm feeling it slightly physically, mainly the feeling hot and sweaty and the upset stomach. I feel like I can't eat very much at all. and this started late last night at 2:30 AM est. Can someone please reply fast? I already don't like this and my grandparents might notice something is up unless I act sick, yes I'm 18 and live with my grandparents.

Hello,

Everyone is different of course but it would be very unusual to build up a physical addiction after one dose. My suspicion is that your body and mind are reacting to the drug but not in the same way as a withdrawal. Did you enjoy the methadone experience? If not, that might be one reason you are having such unpleasant reactions 2 days later. I believe methadone does stay in your system longer than most opiates or opioids. That is a possible reason the reaction is hanging on so long. I wish you the best and believe it or not, although time is crawling by now, it will be over.

Could just be the comedown or after effects from the methadone and shouldn't be too severe or last too long. Just get lots of rest, eat healthy, drink lots of water. Unless of course you were doing any other opioids before you took the methadone?

Hi,i am new to this forum but, not new to methadone,i have been on it for 8 years & it is definitely not the kind of drug that you would try at a party like coc,weed,oxys,etc,you are very lucky that is was only 5mgs,i can promise you that you are not in withdrawl from 5mgs of meth it sounds like you may have the flu combined with anxiety unless you took/take something else? Please talk to your Doctor or a methadone clinic it is a very dangerous drug you can drop dead ! ( or O.D. & end up with brain damage like myself due to the negligence of a pharmacist) just from mixing a few beer or downers such as Valium,clonazapam,any benzo's can kill you STONE DEAD please unless you are suffering from pain or already addicted to opiates stay clear of METHADONE! but, if you want to throw your life away please stick to your oxys,coc,heroin,etc,you get the picture.I hope you make the smart choice & stay clear of it all.I hope you see your Doctor tell your Grandparents that you have the flu & need to see your Doc. Good luck

CONGRATULATIONS! you are now free to live your life.I have been on methadone for 8 years for pain & addiction how i wish i could turn back the hands of time knowing what i know now of course.Stay clean & get yourself to some N.A. meetings not A.A i only ever felt comfortable in N.A but,if you find A.A. helps go to some of there meetings & remember take the good leave the bad.Take it a day at a time & the most important find yourself a sponsor someone who has been there & has at least 6 years clean time.Again CONGRATS!:)

I am so very PROUD of you & you should be REALLY PROUD of yourself! What you went through not many people can do it,i have been on the juice for 8 years 90mls for addiction/pain i have been through every drug out there & i have come off it cold turkey sometimes but most times i went to detox,i would rather come off of heroin cold turkey than weened from methadone! Please just take it a second at a time & most important find someone who knows what you are going through & will be there for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week,& this is also very important PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ALL WILL PASS,yes that horrible word TIME but it is true time does go by but being a recovering addict we want instant cures which got us in this mess to begin with,so please take your time & know it will pass ! The sleepless nights are a bitch try hot baths,walks, whatever it takes to stay clean! before you know it you will find that you can sleep without the help of anything you know that the worst is over so PLEASE don't take sleepers unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY or you will find yourself addicted to benzo's & i kicked from them & it is also HELL pain,no sleep for awhile i spent 3 months in detox because of those dam pills,so easy does it.As far as the methadone getting into your bones i am afraid this is true because methadone is fat soluble which is why the withdrawals are so intense (HELL) but in your case the worst is over, oh & benzo's (diazapam,clonazapam,all the pams i am sure they have new ones out now) are also fat soluble that is why they are also HELL to come off of. Hang in there,& feel free to contact me just post & i will send you my e-mail.l.o.l A friend in Cape Breton,N.S. Canada:)

I am so very PROUD of you & you should be REALLY PROUD of yourself! What you went through not many people can do it,i have been on the juice for 8 years 90mls for addiction/pain i have been through every drug out there & i have come off it cold turkey sometimes but most times i went to detox,i would rather come off of heroin cold turkey than weened from methadone! Please just take it a second at a time & most important find someone who knows what you are going through & will be there for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week,& this is also very important PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ALL WILL PASS,yes that horrible word TIME but it is true time does go by but being a recovering addict we want instant cures which got us in this mess to begin with,so please take your time & know it will pass ! The sleepless nights are a bitch try hot baths,walks, whatever it takes to stay clean! before you know it you will find that you can sleep without the help of anything you know that the worst is over so PLEASE don't take sleepers unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY or you will find yourself addicted to benzo's & i kicked from them & it is also HELL pain,no sleep for awhile i spent 3 months in detox because of those dam pills,so easy does it.As far as the methadone getting into your bones i am afraid this is true because methadone is fat soluble which is why the withdrawals are so intense (HELL) but in your case the worst is over, oh & benzo's (diazapam,clonazapam,all the pams i am sure they have new ones out now) are also fat soluble that is why they are also HELL to come off of. Hang in there,& feel free to contact me just post & i will send you my e-mail.l.o.l A friend in Cape Breton,N.S. Canada:)

Hi miknel34, welcome to Bluelight :)

I'm a bit confused about your last 2 posts. We're you replying to earlier posts in the same thread? If you want to reply to a specific post in a thread you can click on the "Quote"
quote.gif
button which is to the right of the "Reply" button under each post. That way the post you are replying to will show in your response and make it clear who you are talking to. If you would like to quote multiple posts then select the "Multi-Quote" button under each post you want to quote (the button at the bottom right that looks like a stack of paper) and click "Quote" or "Reply" on the last one when you're ready. However, this thread was started in 2008, so a lot of the posts are quite old. I'm not sure which ones you were replying to. It's always a good idea to look at the date something was posted before deciding whether or not to respond. Of course we all forget to do that sometimes :)

Lol @ the Miknel guy! Sorry but he had me rolling on the floor laughing, I don't think he realized that he posted all 3 posts, you can see that he tried to write the same concept differently each time.

Wow, so many memories when i look back at this thread, what a crazy time in my life.. i actually made this thread, i forgot why my account was closed but i was doing alot of drugs back then and, it's crazy to read all the posts and remember it so clearly like it just happened.

It's funny to see everyone come and go, i remember alot of the old screen names when i was posting under Nile420, good people, good advice. i'm glad to say that ever since i left that methadone clinic i never returned to it or methadone period, besides maybe a few here and there. i can also say it was the worst experience i've ever had in my life and i'm glad it's over, i still play with opiates and benzo's and smoke some weed, but i don't get crazy with it like i used to, i keep habits small, and i can honestly say if it wasn't for this site and everything i've learned from you guys i would either be on methadone still in jail or dead.

whoever reads this and remembers that time period and helped me, i thank you very much. :)

So i've bee on Methadone treatment for about 9 months now, i made it up to 95mg's a day, now.. around the 7th=8th month i made it down to 65mg's with a taper of about 3-5mg's a week.

Due to failing random drug tests at my clinic for Xanax and Valium, they have me on a supervised withdrawl (i knew this would happen sooner or later) tapering down 4mg's a day!, now at first i was pretty worried, but after coming down 42mg's in almost 2 weeks, i have almost no withdrawl symptoms besides having trouble sleeping, and the slight pain in my body/bones (nothing like i expected tho.

now what im wondering is, when i come down to like 5mg or 0 will the withdrawls hit me all at once after the 24-36 hour half life leaves my body? or will i remain pretty much in the state i'm in?

Any info from people on/or have been on Methadone M befor. thanks.

PS. today im on 18mg's, 2 weeks ago i was on 66mg's.
I still don't understand what people see in benzos.. there's nothing desirable about not being able to remember entire days/weeks/months/years of your life.. All they're good for in my opinion is derailing panic attacks, halting seizures, and treating stimulant overdoses.
However, someone I knew who was addicted to methadone insisted that "the only way to go" when dosing methadone was side by side with benzos.. sounds reckless, dangerous, and misinformed to me.. And seriously, do benzos really even potentiate opiates in a good way? I've sometimes had a bit of benzos still in my system (due to their long half-life) when dosing opiates a day or two later, and I always found that the opiate euphoria was nullified by the presence of benzodiazepines.

What do people get from mixing downers with downers? Other than a serious risk of death?

If you are still experiencing sleep trouble, talk to your doctor about a prescription that can help. I suggest Olanzapine (5mg).