• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone WITHDRAWAL questions

nile420 said:
Man i hope it works out like that, i'm starting to taper off the OC's so it wont be so bad.

thanks for the input guys.

YOU CAN DO IT BRO!!!!!! Just DONT break down and buy ANYMORE Opiates...................... :) Or Slowly wean, But that dosent look like a good option because you abuse all your meds when you buy them..................

Do you have anything for sleeping????? If so take HIGH DOSES before bed and TRY to sleep it out throughout the whole night, It sucks when your in WD's tossing and turning and you can't even find a fucking comfortable position :(. It's good because your asleep and the opiates are LEAVING your body so you dont feel thwe WD's asleep.......... :)

I came off mmt and short acting opiates aren’t going to "ruin it for him" they will keep him comfortable till the dethadone gets out of his system then, if he does it right he will feel very slight withdrawal from the short acting opiates. I jumped off at 30 mg before and taper my self with dhc didn't feel hardly a thing. Check out this site it will help get you thru this and help you know you are not alone. Good luck

http://www.heroin-detox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6

smackem said:
PAWs always made me feel 'incomplete'. Like something about me, something great, was missing. It goes away after a few months, but the cravings are still there. They just arn't ALWAYS there. They come and go.
I couldn't have said it better than myself, that's EXACTLY how I fuckin feel man, and it down right sucks..... that's why I always go back to the smack.......... this time I must have will power......I must abstain.......... PAWS is a bitch, it really is

AND --> not to get you addicted to another substance, but benzos (particularly clonazepam or alprazolam) could definitely benefit you in the weeks after >0mg of methadone..... good luck buddy :) It's a rough journey to walk, but many of us have walked it too, so you're not alone!!!

unless you are 100% sure you won't go back onto opiates... would you stay on MMT? bit off topic sorry... but all my mates are like MMT is the devil n i should detox... but i know if i do i will be back on morphine as soon as i got sum spendable cash....

i should have prob started a thread...

^^i switched coz i was shooting my sub.... (good intentions but lack of self control...)

Methadone withdrawal- Tramadol taper

I was on methadone for about 18 months... In a matter of 30 days I went from 40 mg a day to 5 mg. The worst starts happening 72 hours after youve had no methadone in your system. The worst of those symptoms will subside after about 10 days, but will continue for at least a month. The best thing to do is to tell your doctor you hurt your back but you dont want vicodin because it makes you too drowsy, ask for tramadol. If you take those as prescribed (have someone dispense them to you if you have to) and then ween yourself off of them instead of methadone, it will be much less harsh then methadone alone... good luck, and try going to meetings...remember the angel on your shoulder really wants to get clean!

For my money, the best way to wtihdrawl from a long opiate addicting, be it longterm methadone or longterm oxy or longterm dope, is to switch to another, short active OR long acting. Say I was addicted to 400mg OC a day. If I were to kick that habit, The withdrawls would be HORRID, All sharp and intense. My heart would pound. If I were to take 40mg of methadone the first day, 30 the next, then 20, Then I would get sick after the methadone, but it would be a dull ache. Not a sharp, freakout ache. If I was taking 160mg of methadone, I would try to get ona shortacting opiate for at least 2-3 weeks before kicking. That way you are out of the deathadone area, and you are really only kicking an OC habit.
You receptors probaly have to rebound the same amount no matter how you kick your habit, but I LOATHE that sharp withdrawl when your opiate of 6 months is suddenly taken away. Its like you start withdrawling in your head before you auctually start withdrawling

Thanks for all the advice, right now im just taking an Oxy 40mg a day befor bed otherwise i just lay there like u said Metha and just twist and turn, that shit is driving me nuts.

I wish i had Valium instead of OxyContin, and to answer the question about if i would go back on Methadone or not, hell no, never, never will i end up back at the clinic, i dont give a shit how bad these w/d's get.

I can't fucking take this restless leg feeling shit, and my mind keeps racing and playing the same fucking Elvis song (you aint nothing but a hounddog, cryin all the time) out my fuckin head! cause i saw forest Gump the other day.

Whats good for a restless body/legs? i've never had to deal with this shit befor, i'm 25, would sex help? how bout running around the block for an hour? anything please, help.

Went to take an Oxy 40mg (only have 2 left) and i broke down and started crying like a bitch, hangin all over my girl just cryin, NEVER has that happened to me befor taking a damn opiate, thats how i know im done with this shit, for good.

i just can't wait to be/feel normal again.

Back when I'd constantly try to detox myself off of heroin CT, I would take extremely hot showers to relieve alot of the restless legs, and bone pain symptoms. For as long as the hot water lasts, most of the pain subsides (at least it did for me). After my last nasty relapse (picked up the needle again and went on a suicidal 10 day binge) I submitted and went into a suboxone program.

I worked my way from 16mgs a day to about 4mg a days, although lately I take 2 days off of my medication and use my DOC once a week. I'm not suffering withdrawls anymore, nor am I constantly broke and miserable. If you aren't ready or able to be completely clean, you gotta find some type of happy medium, where the addiction isn't owning your life. I'm not clean, but my drug use has been manageable and life is pretty good at the moment. That's what counts in the end (for myself anyway).

Ive been through this as well... I went on a tare with heroin (IV) after being clean for about 21 months....... I then submitted to the suboxone program BUT, only to detox...... so I only had one visit with the DOC, then I told him I was done, and cancelled my next bullshit, overpriced visit.... but I got enough suboxone to detox myself, but I'm not submitting to SMT, and I'm definitely not going to submit myself to something as god awful as MMT!!! Jesus...... what a horror show, may God be with you my friend, I hope he shows mercy on you and your WDs from the methadone.... good luck

<edit> Oh by the way, your WDs will be lessened (or helped should I say) greatly by benzos if you can get your hands on em, particularly alprazolam or clonazepam, those would be my top two picks. I used clonazepam (klonopin), worked great.

nile420 said:
I can't fucking take this restless leg feeling shit, and my mind keeps racing and playing the same fucking Elvis song (you aint nothing but a hounddog, cryin all the time) out my fuckin head! cause i saw forest Gump the other day.

Whats good for a restless body/legs? i've never had to deal with this shit befor, i'm 25, would sex help? how bout running around the block for an hour? anything please, help.

Went to take an Oxy 40mg (only have 2 left) and i broke down and started crying like a bitch, hangin all over my girl just cryin, NEVER has that happened to me befor taking a damn opiate, thats how i know im done with this shit, for good.

i just can't wait to be/feel normal again.

You will Bro, You will. Just give it time, and your doing the right thing by detoxing slowly. Shit, It hard to stay clean. But once YOU REMEMBER THE WD'S YOU HAD TO GO THROUGH, you will definatly try to not do opiates or absolutely keep your use to a level which you CANNOT get Physical WD'S, But that's really hard too, Because once alot of people start 'Chipping' they get stuck back on :(

i Wish you the Best and were all here for you Bro. :)

MethaContin said:
You hangin in there man???????????

Hey bro thanks for the kind words, i'm doing kinda decent.. i'm 2 weeks off of the Methadone, but this restless shit is driving me nuts, i haven't really slept for 4 days now and i feel like a zombie, plus i get real cold sometimes, other than that no puking or shaking or shitting myself or rolling on the ground screaming for help like this guy at my clinic did when they dropped his dose.

I just wish i could sleep at night, if i could just sleep and STAY asleep i would be just fine.

I'm going to have to aquire some kind of benzo soon to help me sleep, the only thing i can get is 2mg Xanax bars witch is fine, i just dont want to end up in the ER again from Xanax w/d's.

thanks again, this really made me feel better

PS. Metha, go easy on those bars man, i went thru the worst withdrawl in my life from Xanax, it made this Methadone withdrawl a fucking joke, you know what i mean.

And i thank everyone else who posted on this thread very much, that is really nice of you all to help me with this horrid time in my life,

oh and one important question i need to know if you guys could tell me.

A couple of people from my clinic said if you are on Methadone for like 1 year and over it gets into your bones?

nile420 said:
Hey bro thanks for the kind words, i'm doing kinda decent.. i'm 2 weeks off of the Methadone, but this restless shit is driving me nuts, i haven't really slept for 4 days now and i feel like a zombie, plus i get real cold sometimes, other than that no puking or shaking or shitting myself or rolling on the ground screaming for help like this guy at my clinic did when they dropped his dose.

I just wish i could sleep at night, if i could just sleep and STAY asleep i would be just fine.

I'm going to have to aquire some kind of benzo soon to help me sleep, the only thing i can get is 2mg Xanax bars witch is fine, i just dont want to end up in the ER again from Xanax w/d's.

thanks again, this really made me feel better

PS. Metha, go easy on those bars man, i went thru the worst withdrawl in my life from Xanax, it made this Methadone withdrawl a fucking joke, you know what i mean.

Definatly man, I understand the whole restless legs thing and how you just toss and turn, those are shitty because it keeps you up , you can sleep, than you wake up in like an hour and it happens again....etc...etc But you'll get better and forget about this nightmare, The key is never too get hooked again.

I dont really know but with Opiates it seems alot of us who are addicts start from using like once a month or once a week, too everyday, too every few hours, and by that point, YOUR FUCKED. It takes a Quick Grasp on even strong willed people. Iam glad your at least feeling a little better and DEFINATLY POP those XANAX. They will help you LOTS.

nile420 said:
And i thank everyone else who posted on this thread very much, that is really nice of you all to help me with this horrid time in my life,

oh and one important question i need to know if you guys could tell me.

A couple of people from my clinic said if you are on Methadone for like 1 year and over it gets into your bones?

That's a COMMON MYTH, They think because when they are coming off of Methadone and that there bones all over their bodies are hurting and aching is because the Methadone is stuck in their Bone Marrow, But it's not.

[Edit: Combined into 1 post - sonic]

Last edited by a moderator:
negrogesic said:
I got myself off of 240mg/day (i never even told the clinic), and it was suprisingly easy. I reduced my dose ~10% each week, and stopped completely @ 5mg (fortunately i was taking the 10mg pills, so this was easy for me to do). At the very end there was considerable joint pain, and I probably wont be producing significant quantities of endogenous endorphins for some time, so every time i hurt myself i really feel it (also, every injury i incurred while on benzos/opioids i feel now, like the many screws/plates holding together my shattered ankle)...

Other than that, i think people make it out to be so much harder than it is (especially at very high doses like i was taking). Obviously you must have some measure of will power, especially if no one is forcing you/telling you to get off...

I don't think that people make it out to be harder than it is at all.
i was up to OVER 600mgs/day.
I got down to 290mgs/day and then stopped COLD TURKEY.
I went througfvh a hell i will NEVER allow myself to go through again.
After 4 months, I still could not sleep for more than 2 hour streches and I still could not even WALK.
I am now on 50+mgs/day and getting off.
Waiting to dose in the mornings is HELL.
I have diahreah (sp?), I am crawling out of my skin, I am sick, DOPE SICK.
NOT ANXIETY about getting methadone, as I dose at the pharmacy that is 3 minutes from my home.
(I am not in the USA--maybe that is why In can dose at a pharmacy of my choice)
I have been on methadone for almost exactly 10 years.

I am trapped.
I no longer need to be on it.
I do NOT want to do drugs at all. That part of my life is OVER.
I want to wean off thew rest of the methadone using ANY short acting opiate.
Problem is, too many doctors are afraid of losing their liscences over it.
So, we resort to having to get other ways.

I would NEVER tell anyone that methadojne W/D is easier than it sounds.
That's Bull.

It is a long acting synthetic narcotic.
PAWS can take one year to end.

I am sorry if I am coming across in a rude way..PLEASE do not think that.
I am, simply being very straight forward.
I am very well versed when it comes to methadone (MMTP)
Anything anyone wants to ask, please do.

I hope you took this in a GOOD way, I am sorry if I seem harsh..that is NOT my intention.
Peace?
Hana