Info Donations Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GenericMind said:
I wouldn't call people wanting some accountability of where their money is going to be attacking you. If you cannot deal with those types of questions you probably shouldn't be asking for money in the first place.

I never wanted to be asking for it in the first place. I still don't. But if it isn't raised then Bluelight goes away. Or turns into something we don't want.

A large part of the reason that my tone may not sound so chipper right now is that this weekend I am flying to Sydney to go to Alan's memorial. What for many of you is an abstract loss is for me very real, and is about to get much, much realer. I am going to give my condolences in person to his family, who fundamentally do not approve of this site.

My very last contact with Alan was hounding him about the payment he had promised for Bluelight, knowing he was in hospital and very sick, but also knowing that without that payment Bluelight would be literally turned off. He died before I had a chance to properly thank him

This week I have spent the equivalent hours of a part time job organising the financial elements of Bluelight. While working full time elsewhere. While deciding what to wear to a wake.

No. Right now I cannot deal with people asking those questions. Either I have earned the trust of people here to cut me some slack while things get sorted, or else I haven't.

Donate now, donate later when things are more organised, or else don't.

Understandable. I just think we all need to remember that we're all on the same side.

Im sorry for you having to go through so much in a short amount of time. I hope it goes well for you and the work you are putting forth is much appreciated.

GenericMind said:
Understandable. I just think we all need to remember that we're all on the same side.
absolutely. i think we should all give johnboy a bit of space for now.

like he said - he's been thinking about all of this for a lot longer than the rest of us. so let's give it a couple of weeks before we start snapping at his heels again, right folks? ;)

As soon as I get my credit card paid bills taken care of I will make a donation. I'm curious though, I make the donation trough Pay-Pal using my credit card; What appears on my credit statement? I'm just curious because I live with my parents and they tend to be nosy and shit. I doubt they would open my mail to look, but God forbid I opened it and left it lying around. I don't need them to see Bluelight and then Google that and the shit hit the fan.

CG, have a look at post #42 please. Johnboy set up alternates in response to members' requests for more discreet receipts/entries on their statements.

SA said:
CG, have a look at post #42 please. Johnboy set up alternates in response to members' requests for more discreet receipts/entries on their statements.

Sorry I overlooked that. Thank you SA.

how do money orders work between different countries? would it matter that i sent something with US $ to a place that uses AUS $ ?

johnboy said:
FFS. Read post #36.

If you need a shorter version: There is no final figure as to what we need and if you cannot deal with that then do not donate.

Every moment we spend in here defending ourselves takes time away from actually getting it all done, and also demoralises us as to why we are bothering in the first place.
I just donated $10E-- does BL automatically get the funds or do I need to email BL the Transaction Receipt ID#?

If an occaisional $10 is all I need to enjoy BL, I do NOT need any more details.

I feel like Pennywise - I don't care WTF happens to my $10 as long as I get to enjoy BL.

Any donations go directly to the BL fund, you don't need to do anything further. Thank you for the donation :)

if we can trust the guys who run this place with our sensitive information, we can surely trust em with a few of our dollars.

website running costs are ongoing
donations are not

therefore, if more than enough is raised to run the site for one year, the excess can begin the accumulation for the following year.

SA said:
DG, a progress bar is one of the features which has already been brought to the table for future development,thanks.
FYI folks: the donations 'progress bar' is being worked on and should go live in a few days.

perhaps we need a progress bar to illustrate the progress on the progress bar. ;)

i'm gonna try and summarise all the questions & answers on this issue today.

johnboy said:
Trying to encourage people to find reason to give, not dwell on reasons not to.
you know, not quite sure why you are getting quite defensive over the few suggestions and thoughts brought about. my opinions are valid from what my experience shows in a large forum also ran on a similar altruistic reason..and when they went the route of donations, i was remembering the thoughts that ran about after it happened. i wasn't inferring it was going to happen here, just bringing up a point just in case it did. if you disagree, you could do it quite obviously yet politely as SA did. i have no problems with people disagreeing with a thought i have. as brilliant as i am, even i am not perfect. :D this is a site i really love and just thought an opinion may be valued since i had it. most of the time, when you have a thought, YOU think it is quite wonderful ;)

but, if i spoke out of turn, and you want members to remain silent regarding things such as this i would certainly abide. you have done a hell of a lot more than a mere poster like me, and i don't mean to step on your toes or seem to be stirring a pot you don't want brought up. i just really think that a forum that is asking donations has the responsibility and an obligation to show it's members where the funds are going to unless they are in a money making business. and for what it is worth, i think in the long run, this is beneficial to donations, not a "way to dwell on not to"

Personally, I'd like to thank everyone who has offered up questions or criticism - as the single voiced concern represents a dozen lurking ones of the same thought. However, this transition is proving very stressful for those of us trying to get it implemented (jb moreso than the rest of us for personal reasons, obviously), so we may seem a bit short with some of our answers, or withholding on information.

The truth, as we've stated repeatedly, is that we're telling you WHAT we can AS SOON as we can. Sometimes, the only answer we have is "we are working on it", so in that thought, please bear with us. We ought to be able to do it in a civil (professional) manner, but emotions run high, especially when answering some questions multiple times after they've been answered :\ To that end, we've asked felix to keep the initial post min-FAQ updated with whatever is gleaned during the ongoing discussion.

I'll close by returning again to the myriad of question raised, and still to come. First, see if your ? has already been asked and answered. If not, ask it and we'll do our best to answer while we're trying to get this situation under control, and keep the site up and running - it's history (and future, provided funding is in place) is dependent upon the members and their contributions of time and energy to the discussions. So your views, opinions, and concerns are valid - just have patience with us to answer when we can with what we know. Thank you.

i can understand the transitition, don't feel bad about being short for those who have a big mouth.....and i can't speak for more than myself, but i personally appreciate the need for time to consider any and everything, and am sorry for bringing up too much "crap" "too quick". it wasn't necessary or proper.

<3

TheDEA.org said:
I'm curious what you plan to do with any funds received above and beyond the costs of hosting.
they obviously go towards an admin castle with a grail-shaped beacon.

some of the inferences in this thread are just as ridiculous.

Donations are great and all, and I never usually speak up on administrative matters, but I must protest and beg, please do not make those who donate have any special features not given to non-donaters!!!

Even putting special donor stars would ruin a lot! It promotes elitism, and many non-donators will stay non-donators, saying that anyone who does donate is somehow an "idiot" and create a sort of rift between the two. Many may view donators as 'kiss-asses' while donors will view non-donors as 'leeches'. Why do this?!?

Maybe have a special forum saying who's donated, or make a public list. But please, do not put donor ribbons or stars next to their name!

Also I'd advise against donor features like journal, gallery, or a donor access forum.

And I speak with experience, there are many sites which have been ruined by money simply being so obvious on the site. D2jsp.org is the biggest one i can think of. Many for-profit sites.

Don't mind donors, don't mind them getting recognition in a list, but please don't do something like give donors a ribbon or stars next to their name that's ever so obvious at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.