Info Donations Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you google'd my nickname you could see who I am and the site's I own, I guess that would give people heads up, but 2 high end servers even at $700 a month is expensive, I sell some of the fastest servers around, and I could sell them for $500 a month for two of them, and a few TB a month isn't nothing, Some of my servers are serving 80-100TB in a month..

Another thing is, why in the world would they need two servers, defiantly not to run this site, or even several sites, I can host over 500 sites on 1 high end server, if they need it for a few and need two servers they have no idea what they are doing, or they have some crappy servers, and I would really like to see the stats on the servers they have, I bet they are like Quad Cores or something..

All of my servers are at minimum Quad Xeon's with at least 8GB ram, A client that runs a video hosting site just purchased another server from me, killer server running 48GB of dd3 ram, sick.

But I am in no rush for them to move to me but I can prove who I am and what I own, I'm no newbie, I run sites myself, and I used to run one of the largest security site's in the world, which was ryan1918.com(before it closed in 2007, re-opened 5 months ago), but if they don't wanna get servers from me I would like to inform them on what's going on, because I believe they are getting ripped off, or stating something is XX when it's really much lower, so that's why I wanna know what kinda stats they are using, what are the stats on the servers, how much cpu/ram/model/brand what kinda pipe are they running 100mbit or 1000mbit(1gbit) are they using shared or dedicated lines, are they actually using two servers if so what sites are they running off these servers, because if they are using two I'm pretty sure I can help them along the way by combining the two into one server, IE: no point in having to low end servers when you can get 1 very high end or decent server, which can increase speed, and load times, and really what matters what kinda pipe they got and if its being shared or dedicated, because I was browsing the site that seems like they are hosting them and they are charging less than $20 a month(shared) to host sites, but I would to hear from them.

I just did some research on the ip, and it looks like there is only 3 sites hosted on the ip address, but I find it weird if you own a dedicated server why would you only get 1 ip address.

Found 4 domains hosted on the same web server as www.bluelight.ru (93.189.134.5).

bluelight.ru

wiki.bluelight.ru

www.bluelight.ru (same site just a redirect)

www.pillreports.com

I sell Quad Xeon 3440 8GB dd3 ram(upgradable to 16gb dd3) 100mbit port(upgradable to 1000mbit), 4TB bandwidth(upgradable to 100TB) 500GB sata II hard drive, 5 dedicated ip addresses, for less than $200 a month, if you pre-pay a year I offer major discounts.

Pre-pay yearly save up to 25%, Discounts for quarterly and semi-annual too!
Upgrade ram per 4GB dd3 ram for $40 a month extra or 8 gb dd3 ram for $70
Upgrade to 1000mbit port(1gbit port) for $20 a month extra
Upgrade to 100TB bandwidth(102,400GB) for $140 extra a month (FREE 1gbit port upgrade)
You can also add more hard drives, up to several TBs, add more ip addresses.

This is just one of the few servers I offer, and this isn't no slow or low end server.

Tell me I don't have good deals going on, I can even put up test files for any of my servers.

I have servers located in various United states, states, and different parts of Europe, and I do even offer other countries.

Last edited:
Sorry, was in a bad mood earlier :) no offence meant...

I didn't mean to call you untrustworthy or anything if that's how you took it, I just meant that 1 or 2 posts on bl and people don't know you here... I am an ex-admin and root on the servers, and I just know how much paranoia the admins and engineers have about the site.

The host HAS to be in the Netherlands... it has to be COLO rather than dedicated I believe. And I believe that the current host is allowing bl to pay a year in arrears, which I'm guessing most hosts won't do.

So, What I should have said was... Welcome to bluelight ryan. And nice of you to offer, rather than dismissing your offer so abruptly!

Btw, i would advise again linking your website to this site, you'll probably get a warning... Just advanced warning incase you were thinking about it.

I don't see why it would matter if you were leasing a server or doing a collocation really wouldn't matter, and yes I have servers in The Netherlands, but I would like to see the setup first, and no one has responded yet.

ryan1918, the donations thread is not the place for you to peddle your wares. You have three posts on this site and all of them are undisguisedly about your business interests. This is not the place for you to demand to know about our setup so you can make some kind of offer.

Any more personally motivated commercially oriented posts from you and I will be infracting you for spam which often incurs a ban. You can contact the management through the 'contact us' link on nearly every page on this site but you are not going to be making any more pitches for your particular services in support. Support isn't for selling of wares and you don't have a single post yet that shows you to be a legitimate member who would be in a position to be giving feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thank you! =D Thats a very generous donation, especially for the holidays! It is greatly appreciated. <3

Constant pushing for a debate on who we use for hosting isn't appreciated from someone who has made pitches for their own service while claiming they are not selling anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you google'd my nickname you could see who I am and the site's I own

metawords: HACKING CRACKING BOTS BOTNETS EXPLOITS EXPLOIT MILW0RM RYAN1918 RYAN 1918 RYAN1918DOTCOM TOOLS CODING BLACKMARKET BLACK MARKET DEFACING CDKEYS

ummm i'm sorry, but you might be perceived as somewhat disreputable by certain people, the most important being our users. you have a long way to go to trump the 10 year, massively flexible and trusted relationship we have built up with our current host, who happens to be a very old skool bluelighter.

thanks for your offer, it's most apppreciated, but no thanks on this occasion. :)

Hey you guys do a great job and donations are a good ethical way for a non-profit site to cover costs. I just think you could be a little more creative in how you motivate people. Give members an incentive in the form of some kind of minor recognition or an extra function or two and the money would flow more easily. The end result could be a more current software program with all the "bells and whistles". DebatePolitics forum has some very cool functions for members and is probably has a cutting edge forum program.

Unfortunately the site hasn't raised enough money yet to turn on the bells and whistles without the web server dying every 5 mins...

Bit of a vicious circle I know, but keep donating and I'm sure this will be considered in the future! (although I can't guaruntee it)

Hey you guys do a great job and donations are a good ethical way for a non-profit site to cover costs. I just think you could be a little more creative in how you motivate people. Give members an incentive in the form of some kind of minor recognition or an extra function or two and the money would flow more easily. The end result could be a more current software program with all the "bells and whistles". DebatePolitics forum has some very cool functions for members and is probably has a cutting edge forum program.

This is actually in the works already. There are a couple of things that are a little bit ahead in priority (like even just meeting this years goal first) but once that stuff is done, this is our next big project, and it is already being tested out, so we are well on our way! :)

In your honest opinion, TLB (strictly as a spokesperson for the BL admin), how much do you think you could raise towards the goal each year if you instituted the long, long, long planned fee for username change fee policy?

Up to you, of course, but get this point up for debate up in that meeting up there in the most active forum on BL, would you? It pays dividends to the bottom line! It's a service, not a donation. It's a service rendered; people won't mind paying. How much more plainly can it be brought forward?

Taken up with those in charge. It won't be in place during this current drive to JAN 15, but it is under serious consideration for the near future.

I don't see why it would matter if you were leasing a server or doing a collocation really wouldn't matter, and yes I have servers in The Netherlands, but I would like to see the setup first, and no one has responded yet.

We do appreciate people's offers to help, and have gone to lengths to outline our server needs and billing situation in this thread. That you can't be bothered to read it, well, we are happy to discuss things and provide new answers when you've actually given half a care to see what answers we've already provided. We are running solely on a volunteer and donation basis, leaving us at the mercy of our members for support and continued operation. As such, we make every effort to keep out finances as transparent as possible without leading to exposure of people's personal information (for those whose names are on things, just as we do for our members) nor exposing the server to undue stress or attack. Many of the answers are already out here - that you won't look is on you. And, at the end of that discussion, you'll note we indicate we are somewhat limited in our hosting choices, and it will take serious consideration before we'd switch - then we encourage members to support us with our current contract, or not, that is up to them.

felix said:
ummm i'm sorry, but you might be perceived as somewhat disreputable by certain people, the most important being our users. you have a long way to go to trump the 10 year, massively flexible and trusted relationship we have built up with our current host, who happens to be a very old skool bluelighter.

thanks for your offer, it's most apppreciated, but no thanks on this occasion. :)

This.

This is actually in the works already. There are a couple of things that are a little bit ahead in priority (like even just meeting this years goal first) but once that stuff is done, this is our next big project, and it is already being tested out, so we are well on our way! :)

As noted, we're hoping for a few more bells and whistles in 2011, and for those wondering about our expenses, we are also in talks with the host about negotiating a lower cost for us in 2011 as well as (hopefully) improved performance, but all those facets are 'in the future'. As we stand right now, we have an outstanding debt for our 2010 hosting services which we are very late in paying - how good of a position do you imagine we are in for getting a 'better contract' next year? :\ Still, I would like to take a moment and give a very heartfelt thank you to all who have donated to this point. Of the remaining ~1700 euro we owed, we got ~200 euro in the first week! That's great! Now to get the remainder...

We do appreciate people's offers to help, and have gone to lengths to outline our server needs and billing situation in this thread. That you can't be bothered to read it, well, we are happy to discuss things and provide new answers when you've actually given half a care to see what answers we've already provided. We are running solely on a volunteer and donation basis, leaving us at the mercy of our members for support and continued operation. As such, we make every effort to keep out finances as transparent as possible without leading to exposure of people's personal information (for those whose names are on things, just as we do for our members) nor exposing the server to undue stress or attack. Many of the answers are already out here - that you won't look is on you. And, at the end of that discussion, you'll note we indicate we are somewhat limited in our hosting choices, and it will take serious consideration before we'd switch - then we encourage members to support us with our current contract, or not, that is up to them.

Just to follow up on this, because of ryan1918's 'posts' (I use the term loosely because they also sit somewhere on the border of spam and just plain out abuse), I followed up our costs with our hosting provider, pointed him to your 'posts' and asked what he made of it.

While I don't have the authority alone to share the response with you, it has been shared with the other admins so they can all read it. I personally am happy with the answer, I have little doubt the other admins will be too.

Believe it or not, this is not the first time the question has been raised.

I posted this in another thread and was told there was discussion over here about it. I didn't read the entire eight pages of this thread again, so I'm not sure what was said about it, buuut
I think there'd be more of an incentive for people to buy the calendars/posters if they could get a temporary "status." Like, under our name where it would say "Moderator" if we were one, it could say something like "BL Supporter" or something. The status would stay in effect for one calendar year.
I'm just curious as to why this probably isn't a possibility.

^Timing is the short answer. Some sort of bonus status is likely to be worked out for next years drive but the funding needs came up before anything substantial had really been developed, discussed, or tested. There are still different ideas about what might be doable and fair.

Besides a lot of other stuff that needed taking care of, Bluelight's traffic increased to the point that we are at the outer edge of our material resources a bit to often which necessitated the ongoing purge and other adjustments. An upgrade is pending. Many things that we'd really like to have in place already haven't materialized as fast as we would have liked. My experience with real life volunteer organizations is that some goals end up lagging time wise because of unexpected problems and real life pushing in on time volunteers had hoped they could give.

I'm a Bluelight eventualist and am actually pleased with how much has gotten accomplished through member support and volunteerism already.

^ Makes sense, Enki. Hopefully my $20ish from the calendar helps. :)

Does BL get all the money from the calendars?

I'm not sure the exact amount that goes to BL for the calendars, but I'm pretty sure no one is making any kind of profit. From what it sounds like (this is just what I'd gathered through reading some conversation on it, so dont quote me on this) the people selling the calendars for us simply break even so that they dont lose money, then the rest goes to BL.

In regards to your prior question, my thinking on the calendars and posters would be that those things are the "thank you" for donating. We have the donation page, the one that you see when you go through the "donate" tab at the top of the page. If you donate there, at the moment, there is no reward or recognition other than the site being kept alive (which should be enough! ;) But lets be realistic here) so thats why special titles and things are being put into the works for that. However, if you buy a calendar or poster, then you already have something tangible as a 'thank you'. Thats my thinking on it anyway.

Hopefully BL gets more than just a couple bucks from the calendars/posters.

While recognition for donating would be a reward, which the physical calendar/poster is, I feel it would also raise awareness about donating. At least I think it would. Esp. if it were possible to make the title "BL Supporter" under the name into a link to the donations thread. Hahaha, now that's asking too much, right? :p

Would it be possible to refresh the progress bar on the donations page again?

If people can see that we're close to the threshold, I'm sure some will be motivated by wanting to be "the one" who bumps BL's funding over the line!

Status
Not open for further replies.