• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Are we old fuddy duddies?

Raz said:
Not to be a loser who always agrees with the oldskool kids, but nezo's right....messageboards like this in general are a dying breed.....we have facebook and shit like that now.....I think bluelight won't actually die because it has value as an education resource, but it's less and less likely that it will be used as an interaction tool....

DoctorShop said:
I disagree. I think message forums will change and add features to make them a still viable medium on the web.

I think there's a difference already inherent with message boards.

First of all there is a certain amount of anonymity with an internet forum. In that you can have as much anonymity as you want or don't want.

Secondly, message boards tend to have a theme or a subject that is basically the purpose for the message board being there. Example, this forum is a harm reduction board, so naturally most of the posters here are drug users, or were at one point. This is a common interest among the posters. This common interest has brought us together originally, but then it keeps us together, possibly because it turned out that we had other things in common; possibly posters here (Bluelight) might tend towards a inquisitive or curious nature, also there seems to be a slant towards left wing ideals.

I also post occasionally on a board to do with personality theory / psychology. Basically I would find it hard to have similar conversations with my friends, and certainly don't feel that it is appropriate for either Myspace or Facebook, where I mostly just have people I already know in real life, which doesn't solve the problem I had, being that I couldn't discuss these things extensively with people I know in real life.

This is because, in real life I am choosing from a small sample of the population, in people that are around me and that I interact with.

Where as on the internet I am drawing from a much wider population sample. That being, people from all over the world who happen to have been drawn to *whatever it is that the forum is about*.

So basically, I think message boards will still exist as viable methods of interaction, and I don't think they need to change or add features to do it (not that they won't or couldn't, but they don't need to.)

there is nothing on bluelight that I can't get on facebook. There's even a bluelight club on facebook ffs! I lurk there too. lol.

The reason suckers like Pleo and I keep coming back year on year is because we've got so much invested here. I've been a member of bluelight for 25% of my life ffs. That's not a boast or brag, but shows that bluelight is a big part of what i define as 'the internet'. The internet was a smaller place when I first posted here. But for a new user who's just discovered the world of forums / internet interaction / instant messaging, bluelight is just another small star in the galaxy of internet social sites.

Remember when we used to get an influx of members every jan / feb /mar after the party season when people wanted to declare their love of all things 'e' and extend their new found plur to every raver they could get their hands on? don't remembeer it? THAT'S CAUSE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ANYMORE! why? it's not cause kids aren't doing drugs any more. it's definately not because harm minimization isn't still important (though you could debate BLs relevance there too). it's because they can share and discuss their experience elsewhere online. i can meet one random at a club, get their name and in 30 seconds, be part of their facebook crew and discuss past events, get in on new parties and talk shit till the cows come home. anonymously too if desired.

Good point, as hop mentioned earlier too. The one-liner threads like smile or frown or whatever, staying up late, also reminded me of Twitter in which people don't really invest much of themselves or brain cycles. It's all very 'now.' Sign of the times.

We're going the way of BBS boards, so we ARE kinda fuddy and duddy. %) =D

Hey at least with the slow turnover, everyone's effectively 'old school' now :p =D

Why isn't there an LOL smiley?

oh, hoptis mentioned it too? I have him on ignore. ;) jk jk. I generally don't read anyone's posts execpt my own.

Maybe social would look more active if cunts like vurt and I didn't lurk invisibly.

I'm only here 'cos I have way too much time at work recently. And acclimatizing myself to you Aussies again. :p

I'm here purely to keep my post-count climbing...oh and for the reasons nezo said.

I hate agreeing with nezo.

This sort of thread seems to start about this time most years, when everyone starts coming down from their summer holidays.

I don't think there is a magical solution. Things change, people change, times have changed. Like nezo said, there used to be an influx of n00bs every summer holidays with new questions to make fun of and new ideas. This seems to of slowed right down to the point where it's just the same old people posting the same old things year in, year out. I don't think there is anything Bluelight can do about it.
Perhaps Bluelight should revert back to it's original use, a HR/HM and Drug Education website?? Forget Social/Lounge, scrap it. That can move to other mediums such as Facebook (sic).

But i'm with these boys ^^^ I'll be here till the ships goes down.

DJC*