• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Are we old fuddy duddies?

vanth said:
I think that to have intelligent disscussions about issues people are passionate about we need to establish an informal code of conduct.

Ultimately if you're entering a discussion without the intention of exchanging ideas, but rather to single-mindedly state your own opinion, there's really no point in you participating at all.

My understanding was that there is a code of conduct...........well two actually.........the official guidelines and then the individual mods interpretation.

However having said that, I am all for setting something up and seeing how it goes............maybe you are onto something.

Oh and finally, me personally, well yes i do still use from time to time and probably always will but agreed its not like I used to............mdma will do that to u.............lol.

I support ideas. If a person holds one of those ideas they are supported by association.

Aus social definately struggles to get new recruits :\

More on topic, I sure am getting old! But I still party heaps, I just don't share it with you lot because you all look down your nose at my sheer fiendery :)

Thats the internet for ya! Full of nerds!! :p ;) =D

Look, the problem with having any kind of topical thread in here is that you all get passionate about it and then get upset that the people you have been laughing/frowing with whatever actually have very different values than yourself. So topical threads seem to just upset everybody and most members seem to prefer not dealing with them.

Doesn't mean you guys couldn't get a little funnier or more creative though with different kinds of fun, light-hearted threads, and then encourage peope who wants to post topical threads to post them on a more appropriate forum on BL, and therefore increasing Aussie participation elsewhere.

As for me, I'm a total old fuddy duddy these days. :)

vanth said:
Of course we don't have anything against intelligent conversation. Well perhaps hoptis does, I can't speak for him ;) Just keep in mind that whatever insults and other bullshit regular users of Aus Soc see, there is actually perhaps 4x times more that we deal with.

I think it's a case of the majority of members don't see the metric fuckload of crap that we have to unapprove/edit, etc, as well.

The problem i have with highly emotive threads is that, unfortunately a small handful of knobs ruin it for the rest of you. It is inevitable that controversial threads turn in to shitty flame-fests and people resort to slanging matches filled with ad hominem attacks, and quite frankly, i'm sick of mopping up after it. We're happy to unapprove/edit some threads, but when we wake up to 2 pages of shit slinging, it becomes a little tedious.

If members can maintain a level of maturity above that of a 9 year old (i know you are but what am i?), then we'd be more open to leaving such threads open. I refer to threads such as the disaster that was the Indigenous Australian thread (yeah, images depicting "coons" and comparing Aboriginals to gorillas is totally awesome :|)

All of you who are complaining about the state of this forum, do something about it and stop complaining... we can only do so much as moderators. Also, aside from the Golden Nangs, there have been great intiatives here such as The Bluelight Christmas CD swap, that has been pretty damned successful for a long time.

I also take slight umbrage to the insinuation (well, to the outright accusation, actually) that threads in Aus Social are closed down toot sweet whenever anything resembling topical conversation apprears. Total and utter crap... see my comment about 9 year olds in response to that.

MazDan said:
Felix............??????????????????????????????

What would be the point of merging two totally different forums????

One is there to provide educational and black and white info of a serious nature.

The other is supposed to be a social forum?

That would be like putting an office in a pub.

I always figured the reason you mix the two is because there is so small ammount of traffic................if thats not the case then your only doing your readers a disservice keeping them together.
i realise you guys will never merge the two forums, that was a joke. calm down, champ. ;)

EADD is the third busiest forum on Bluelight, it's nothing to do with the traffic. it's just always been like that and the vast majority of the users love it like that. anyway i don't want to drag this more off topic. :)

For me personally i like Aus social because its full of mature people that actually can discuss normal day to day things rather than how good it is "To be totally high man...."

Just chill man. We used to have this 'problem' too and there'd be threads like this in which it seemed everyone was debating the fate of Aus Social, but guess what, Aus Social still exists, has carried on, to this current iteration which has you guys starting up a thread like this ...

It's just a cycle. The threads in the forum, the etiquette, the prevalent err mood or trend of discussions, are all informed by the current batch of active users. Your most active users form cliques and end up talking amongst themselves which sometimes alienates new users.

Also, this Bluelight is huge, and there're so many subforums for all the more 'legit' or serious discussions, what would you have people discussing in Aus Social? Football? Politics? Keeping the streets clean (I think we had that before too)?

If there's anything worthwhile to be discussed, I'm sure someone will start a thread. Otherwise, just keep smiling or frowning or drinking or whatever it is that you guys do in here.

That said, at least we had the boobies thread in our time =D

felix said:
i realise you guys will never merge the two forums, that was a joke. calm down, champ. ;)

EADD is the third busiest forum on Bluelight, it's nothing to do with the traffic. it's just always been like that and the vast majority of the users love it like that. anyway i don't want to drag this more off topic. :)

lol, totally calm bros, totally calm..........just never understood why you lot had to do things differently.

vurtomatic said:
Just chill man. We used to have this 'problem' too and there'd be threads like this in which it seemed everyone was debating the fate of Aus Social, but guess what, Aus Social still exists, has carried on, to this current iteration which has you guys starting up a thread like this ...

It's just a cycle. The threads in the forum, the etiquette, the prevalent err mood or trend of discussions, are all informed by the current batch of active users. Your most active users form cliques and end up talking amongst themselves which sometimes alienates new users.

Also, this Bluelight is huge, and there're so many subforums for all the more 'legit' or serious discussions, what would you have people discussing in Aus Social? Football? Politics? Keeping the streets clean (I think we had that before too)?

If there's anything worthwhile to be discussed, I'm sure someone will start a thread. Otherwise, just keep smiling or frowning or drinking or whatever it is that you guys do in here.
Exactly! I just finished reading through the thread so far, and was drafting my eventual reply in my head as I read it, and then got to this one and found my reply pretty much already written! :)

I've felt for a while that it's gotten a bit stale, but I kept my mouth shut because honestly I wasn't all that interested in putting my money where my mouth is and doing something about it. But it's not through lack of caring, and I still lurk around a fair bit. It's mainly just because I don't know anyone who posts anymore. Like it or not, bluelight is way more fun when you share it with a bunch of people you know in real life. And lets not pretend for a second that it's not cliquey, because it is. I've noticed as time's gone on, that as the more people who I know in real life stoped posting, the less likely any response I make to a thread will get a direct reply or acknowledgment. You tend to scan through threads and when you see a reply from someone you know (or a well known name), you reply to that one. It's not right or wrong, it's just how it happens.

A large reason why bluelight has allegedly gone stale, is because there hasn't been a large turnover of names in a while. What used to happen was people would all post, get to know each other on the board, meet each other in real life, swap phone numbers, and then move away from the board. This allows new names to get a word in, and other new names to reply to them, etc etc. It's the bluelight cycle, and anyone who's been around for a while will know I've rambled on about it plenty of times in the past.

But is it a problem? Probably not a major one. But what can help prevent it is already in the guidelines and is routinely ignored by just about everyone:
This is not a chat site.
Though it is tempting to be freely social, chat cannot be accepted. This may be the social forum, but it doesn't mean you can post whatever you like. Too many people are making personal posts that only bear relevance to one or two other people. That's what email, ICQ and IRC are for. To a small extent chat will be tolerated, but it is in the interests of all Bluelighters, particularly those who have just joined Bluelight that we leave chat out. This includes in-jokes and threads which revolve around only a select few people. They can be very funny and quite special to those involved, but try to keep them to a minimum and don't drag them out so that other's who don't understand feel alienated.

I used to crack the shits all the time about stuff like that, because I believed then and I believe now, that you're never going to get new people to post, when the older people are doing things like referring to things that happened on the weekend in a way that you had to be there to understand. Things like using people's real life first name when referring to someone in a post - how can someone new be able to contribute when there's a big metaphorical hand in their face telling them they don't belong in this discussion. It sometimes reminds me of a school yard - there's the group of cool kids in a circle, and everyone else can try and work around the edges, but they'll rarely get in.

But to finish, all hope is not lost. This place probably hasn't gone stale, it's just gotten lazy. And I hope everyone can at least see the irony of all these informed, well thought out, level headed, and deeper posts suddenly being made to discuss why this exact thing doesn't happen anymore! ;) Everyone's still got it in them - just give everyone a chance to be heard! I'm sure there's heaps of people out there who won't hit the reply button because they think they won't be noticed. Lets welcome them a bit more... :)

Pleonastic said:
A large reason why bluelight has allegedly gone stale, is because there hasn't been a large turnover of names in a while. What used to happen was people would all post, get to know each other on the board, meet each other in real life, swap phone numbers, and then move away from the board. This allows new names to get a word in, and other new names to reply to them, etc etc. It's the bluelight cycle, and anyone who's been around for a while will know I've rambled on about it plenty of times in the past.

Funny you should mention circles... I have a good one and I guess it underlines your point remarkably well.

You probably don't remember but I met you at Pharmacy 5 @ the docks.

That was the first time I met BL'ers, it was the first BL meetup/event that I went to so you would have been among one of the first BL'ers I met and funnily enough, I'm now in your old position five-odd years later.

I think the lack of fresh/new faces you're talking about has a lot to do with the death of meetups themselves in the Aus region. In some ways you could link that to a wider theme of how the mainstreaming of ecstasy and recreational drugs in this country means rave/trance/E/plur no longer dominate the scene as it used.

New members of the Aus section of BL could just as easily come from any other scene these days, whereas once they were all ravers. Lack of turnover could just as easily be attributed to the fact that the source of new members in the past (the rave scene) is pretty much dead.

^ Indeed.

It seems to me like no one wants to meet anyone any more because we're all too jaded and CBF. I remember my 1st trip to Melbourne a few years ago, I met a fuck tonne of BLers within 2 days and had the time of my life, that shit just doesn't seem to happen any more. I'm not entirely sure why but Hoptis's theory may be hitting the nail on the head.

I met Hoptis in '06, does Hoptis remember that? I'm suspicious that he doesn't, just out of curiosity.

I think Pleonastic makes some great points and I'm keen to mention that I'm guilty of typing "Yarni" rather than "Up All Night" which would definately alienate new members now that I think about it. Not that new members would want to know UAN. Perhaps we're doing them a favour? ;)

BACK ON TOPIC YOU OFF TOPIC MUTHAFUCKERS!!! I'm shit faced right now and I'm declaring that makes me not an old fuddy duddy. Altho I have every intention of trying to make it to the gym tomorrow for a decent work out :p Does going to the gym make you an old fuddy duddy?!

yeh it probsably does amke yo u a old fuffy bubby maaaaan. sorry dude. dontman lol. just keep doing drugs occassionally so you aren't fuddy duddeis . do you see many fubby dubbies do drugs> probably not? I'm fuckign fried as a chicken lol. MY CHIKEN!

MazDan said:
I almost got the impression reading your post Hoppy that you are of the opinion that everything in here is peachy cream? Please tell me thats not the case?

I'm not thumping my fists on my chest, Judge Dredd style, screaming out "I YAM THE LAW" and closing this thread if that's what you're asking. ;)

NickyJ said:
I met Hoptis in '06, does Hoptis remember that? I'm suspicious that he doesn't, just out of curiosity.

What hypnotherapy can't erase, I'm hoping a total frontal lobotomy might.

Summadayze, I remember. :p