• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is it true that marijuana depletes zinc from your brain to an extent?

Gamegenie

Greenlighter
A naturopathic doctor told me this. I asked for the evidence, but they didn't have it on hand and were too busy. Let me note that I don't think this person is anti-maijuana. I asked them how they felt about its use and they just kinda smirked and said out of all the drgs it's the least harmful and that they don't just go and reccomend someone stops using it if they can incorporate it into their daily lives.

possibly. I have zinc difficiency... cant remember if i had it before i started getting stoned though 8)

uh-oh!

ya i better go get some supplements lol, ive had zinc defficiency.. for ages. Not that bad though but nevertheless i shall start taking supplements. thanks

I don't think that's too likely. I can't find anything to indicate that that's the case.

i've never heard of it but i have no way of knowing if its true. a search on pubmed turned up this:

. There were no significant differences between subgroups in other nutritional measures except plasma zinc concentration which was low in marijuana abusers (mean 85 micrograms/dL).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

but the authors conclude it was from poor diet rather than cannabis itself, although perhaps they were wrong.

. There were no significant differences between subgroups in other nutritional measures except plasma zinc concentration which was low in marijuana abusers

Is it only me, or does anyone else ever have the picture come to mind of someone bashing a big bag of weed like a man bashing his wife when ever they hear 'marijuana abusers'? :D

'SHUT UP YOU BITCH! *SLAP!* FUCKING WHORE! *THUMP!*

LOLOLOL

I am from the National Comitee on Marijuana Abuse Prevention, our agents are headed to your right now moony! I SWEAR IF YOU LAID ONE HAND ON THOSE BUDS YOU SICK BASTARD!!!!!

Sacred High said:
why does the brain need zinc? couldn't be bothered 2 google sos

Zinc is needed to keep the prostate healthy and have good reproductive health.

I'm pretty sure anyone who went to highschool knows that your body requires several metals to function properly, as strange as that may seem...

moonyham, did you actually have a blood test and the results showed that you were zinc-deficient, or are you self-diagnosing based on symptoms?

I'm just curious because to me it seems strange that you'd know that about yourself. Personally I have never had any idea if I'm deficient in anything, although I expect that I am deficient in some things from time to time.

Sorry to zombify a thread, but I found it through google (first link for "zinc marijuana -growing". actually, the only legit link for like 2+ pages.)

I've read that taking zinc is a way to pass a drug test (not as effective as some other methods, but still). Seems zinc is used to remove THC metabolites from the body. Would make sense if using weed for a while depleted zinc.

I have a feeling zinc deficiency (or on the flipside, the body's inability to remove THC metabolites) is responsible for the negative sympoms some people get after smoking weed heavily for several years (eg anxiety, appetite loss, headache).

Right now I've been trying to cut down my intake to deal some symptoms that I've started to feel, and I'm also taking zinc. I can tell you zinc definately affects how I feel. To be honest it actually makes me feel a bit worse the day after I take it, but I'm sticking with it. It must be some sort of circular effect.

The pubmed article about low zinc levels is interesting. Here's where I heard that zinc removes THC metabolites: norml dot org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6991&wtm_format=print Don't know of any study, however. If anyone else knows anything, please share.

This is what the NORML site I linked to says:
Despite the popularity of urinalysis, the majority of THC metabolites are actually eliminated from the body by way of the feces, not urine. Zinc sulfate is believed to bond with THC metabolites, rendering them too large to filter through the kidneys. In theory, these "bonded" metabolites are then redirected to the feces. In practice, however, the use of zinc sulfate has yielded only mixed results for those hoping to bypass the system.

Hmmm....interesting stuff. I didn't know that marijuana could lead to a zinc deficiency. I would definitely supplement with zinc then. Having a deficiency in it can lead to hormonal imbalances, hair loss, cold sores, etc. However, zinc and copper compete with each other , so if taking zinc long-term, then you should look into a low dose copper supplement as well.