• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

Jesus hydro! That prototype is hot stuff hydro. I want a magnetic camera, impractical but sounds like a lot of fun. And I love learning about all this history! You my dear are a wealth of knowledge indeed :)

reviews describe that line as a powerhouse with inaccessible controls. i am surprised to see that if you want a digital camera that fits in your front pocket, options are limited and the technology is barely there. it's the same with film.

you should check out the Lumix line, it goes from truly pocketable point-n-shoot cameras with great software, sensor and lens quality up to micro 4/3rds bodies that are expensive but give you the manual controls of an SLR with the compactness of a point-n-shoot.

and in regards to your question about viewfinder vs screen, IME the only downside to screen has been that it makes it harder to figure out the right EV but fortunately Lumix provides a dedicated button for that so it's easy to take an extra shot or two just in case.

I've always been drawn to SONY, why I don't know, but:

OMFG this is why I need a real job... one day, one day. Be still, my heartbeat :\

Who wants to collect paintball guns when there are cameras out there!

glad you find it interesting too, toothpastedog! i'm absolutely keeping my eye out for a magnetic camera. i imagine getting an image off of one today is near impossible, but i'll take that challenge.

later models from various manufacturers were used by press photographers. because tv and newspaper did not utilize high quality images, they were somewhat applicable. for a while media would develop film, create a print, and then scan the print in a process resembling drum scans. then they developed scanners that could scan the negative, which can be developed without a darkroom. but these magnetic images could be transmitted by telephone line as is, so you could take photos anywhere in the word and immediately send them in for the next issue or broadcast. resulting images were used in some of the tiananmen square coverage.

yes, the lumix line looks appealing.

the reason i'm looking at digitals is to try to emulate some of the styles i've been seeing from "candid" street photography.

edit: upon reflection, that strategy for street photography -- just walking up and taking their photo from a very close distance -- was manic and disrespectful to my fellow human being. deleting in embarrassment. of course keeping the photos.

Last edited:
My hero hydroazuanacaine :) this all sounds brilliant! Nudging yourself out of your comfort zone a bit is paying off I'd say! I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your hard work.

thanks! in the meantime here's a hybrid street/portrait photo from a good while ago. i am happy with it because it's exactly what i envisioned, and that vision is what made me ask. told her there was something special about the way she looked down, and could i take her photograph. she said yes, and started smiling and posing like i didn't want so i focused and then stood there. eventually she shrugged and started taking the next person's order. thats when i started clicking. again, exactly the look from her that prompted me to ask for the photo ...

tumblr_o73hvixx8E1v9quoao1_1280.jpg

same way anna karina glances down. portra 400 with nikon fg and series e 50mm lens. shooting close to if not wide open, because indoors with no flash.

Last edited:
that is exactly what I was just thinking! It's Anna Kraina! :)

What a beautiful shot, I could stare at that all day I dare say. . .

why thank you. and thank you to her, as she makes the photo.

calvin klein using the polaroid macro 5 slr with what i can only assume is impossible project film ...

tumblr_o233y9cZUy1sratzso1_1280.jpg

this camera ...
can tell it's the macro 5 because one, no other polaroid camera can take macro photos that sharp, and also you can see the dual flash in her pupils.

cool ad despite the bland, celebrity choice in model. which is their mo.

Last edited:
raf @ calvin klein is perfect fit. <3 that brand. heroin chic ads, ck-one... i'd rock that all day everyday. rad posts, dro.

thanks, Joe!

machine/lab developed a couple of rolls of ilford delta 400 that i had shot and then lost over a year ago. so they spent all that time sitting out at room temperature. created a light (easy to fix in post), really grainy result. this is after post, which was adjusting levels, some burning, and unsharp masks as re-sized for digital display ...

tumblr_ong894093r1v9quoao1_1280.jpg

through an olympus xa

Last edited:
lol at the two kids with the fuck-you-lookin-at faces :D the scene looks especially good in B&W, still jelly of your skillz

nice. i often hunt for back issues for single articles or photos. i want the nan goldin's "James Is a Girl" issue of NYTM so bad ...

Beautiful photography. Nan's goldin's pics are golden. Not only that, but CK makes some iconic boxer shorts that are photo worthy on any occasion.

^right? i've been shooting slide film with direct/harsh flash lately trying to mimic her look. slides don't scan well and take forever to get back from the lab, but will share if i get any keepers that scan ok. and i'm gonna get that damn issue. made another serious yet fruitless attempt after making that post. it's nowhere. driving me crazy.

lol at the two kids with the fuck-you-lookin-at faces :D the scene looks especially good in B&W, still jelly of your skillz
thanks! little girl looking at the camera is what prompted pressing the shutter release and what made the frame a keeper.

starting next week, i'm taking a six-class photography course through a university that has an on-going education department. very much looking forward to it. even though i know everyone else will be shooting digital, the instructor still shoots film and said it's fine if i take the course using analog.

though i have a confession ...

tumblr_oo1odgiBJn1u9yecko1_540.jpg

went with the canon over lumix because that's what my local shop had in stock at the time. shooting with an articulated screen is very different and offers both significant advantages and disadvantages. love not having to remind myself not to always shoot at eye level. love that the photo is taken before the subject realizes i was framing them up. strongly dislike not being able to see the subject's facial expression to time my shot. also makes composing quickly and accurately difficult. i often wonder what the fuck i was or wasn't thinking when reviewing how i framed the shot. it remembers all settings when you turn it off and on except for focal length, which is inconvenient. wish i could set it at 35mm equivalent focal length as the default. actually you probably can, but i haven't figured it out. also haven't figured out how to have the display tell me what equivalent focal length i'm shooting at, which must be possible.

Last edited:
iv started shooting film with a ricoh kr-5 slr 35mm camera, almost through the roll so it will be interesting to see what it looks like.

but today i was at my parents house and found a mamiya msx 500 camera and just looking through the viewfinder i am impressed, super excited to use it for the next roll of film.

fingers crossed it develops okay.

sometimes i want to take photos of friends hanging out. but i am not usually carrying a camera around, and i feel anxious to even bring up the idea of me taking a photo.
i'd like to take photos of people more.

Why don't you try broaching the idea with them? A lot of people find it flattering :)

hey Mysterie, that's so awesome that you are shooting film! are you going to have it lab developed? if so, it should develop just fine. negative color film gives a lot of latitude or room for mistakes concerning exposure.

biggest thing for shooting friends is have the camera out and start taking photos right away. like don't start hanging out and then randomly whip the camera out. if it's there from the start, you and everyone else are a lot more comfortable with it. sometimes i take some garbage photos when i first arrive, knowing i won't use them, just to get myself and everyone else comfortable with the fact i'll be taking photos. doesn't mean you have to take photos the whole time either. if you start off taking photos, it will be fine if you stop for a bit and then start again.

also get them excited about it. everyone tries to act humble or shy in front of a camera, but reality is they want to be photographed. say shit like "i think that one's gonna be really great" as you snap away. be sure to share the photos once you have them developed too, and only the good ones. if people see that you make your subjects look good, they'll be even more excited to be photographed by you. take lots of photos to make sure you do end up with some good ones.

with friends, i actually do not recommend asking first. just start taking photos. if you ask people, you'll get false no's. like how people who were excited to share their work in class acted like they didn't want to but secretly hoped the teacher called on them.

and don't worry about resistance. sometimes my friends roll their eyes or lightly say, "geez, when are you gonna stop?" but then the next day they are asking "hey, when are you gonna get those photos back? are there any of me that you're gonna use? when can we see them?" again, people are trained to act shy in front of the camera. don't worry about it. if someone truly does not want to be photographed, you'll know. and that's just fine. though the more you photograph, the more you'll get comfortable pushing people, and you'll find that some of those people actually do want to be photographed.

everyone wants to look good, and it's very possible to make people look good with a camera.

hope to see some of your shots!

Last edited:
a few of my favourites from my first roll of film back <3

nsfw for size
NSFW:

YQuJ2a5.jpg

MnNo6zN.jpg

CJlCgL9.jpg

AUyGg70.jpg

Well this is a nice little thread I didn't know existed.. probably gonna do a massive pic drop tmw if I still have memories =D here's a quick sleepy kitty for now
20170703_230331_2.jpg

i picked up a pentax espio 105sw P&S 35mm camera today. super stoked on finding this camera, its so cheap at $50 aud as well. i haven't got the battery for it yet but everything looks amazing through the viewfinder already.

9092509732_c96e3f2e3e.jpg

it came with a cute camera case as well

i'll be on adventures for the next month and taking pictures so hopefully i have some good images to share in a while. bought a couple rolls of agfa vista 200 so will be testing it as a budget film for the first time as well.

but i think the compact and more ease of use camera will get me taking more pictures and be more fearless.