Does anyone have questions on bodybuilding supplements?

sorry ya can't do much for a toga party in 2 weeks, the only physical appearance improvements I think you could bank on in a 2 week period are like a haircut, a tan, and white your teeth ;). Think that's about all you'll be able to do that's worthwhile.

Aright cheers.
I'm going for muscle gain, not definition. I'm too skinny as it is. My metabolism is too high from all the MD I used to do.

I'm only doing this anaerobic training for about 3 months (or until I'm satisfied), purely for aesthetic reasons.

I don't mind putting on fat (as well as muscle) for the party as I'll look bulkier, and that's good.

Thanks again

No problem! Well, if you don't care about fat for the party, and it's 2 weeks away, your best gains would probably be the sum of:
~2lbs from water retention if you get on creatine right now
~2-5lbs/week for 2 weeks = 4-10lbs from weight gain (depending how much fat you're taking on, basically - don't expect you can add more than 2 or 3 pounds of pure muscle in 2 weeks).

About the longer term approach tho, the 3 months, that's an okay time. It's not that long so set realistic goals, a pound of muscle a week is a pretty good one (meaning minimal fat gains, a pound a week with a good fat % increase isn't too good!). 3 months at 1lbs a week is still 12 pounds, add a couple for water retention from creatine, another 5 from fat, and that's the better part of a 20lbs gain.

Is there a maximum amount of protein I should take?

And I've just started 'loading' on creatine.. What difference is this 'loading', 'maintaining' and 'rest'?
I'm doing a heaped teaspoon, 4 times a day for 5 days to load.
To maintain I take 1 heaped teaspoon a day for 11 weeks.
Then rest for 4 weeks and take none. Repeat.

I got body fortress whey based protein (1kg) for only £11 (reduced from £25) and body fortress creatine (1kg) (the type you said to get, pure monohydro dooda) for £20.

Is there a maximum amount of protein I should take?
Or when should I take?

Heh I'm subscribed, no need to bump, I was crazy sick for the past few days

Maximum amount you should take doesn't really make too much sense to me, I believe you mean the minimum you *need*, you could overshoot past that all you want (although more calories than needed for anabolism/living will be stored as fat). Aiming for 1-1.5g of protein / lbs is the normal rule of thumb, you do NOT want to be going below that so overshooting is a good idea.

Loading on creatine is, in essence, building up the creatine stores in your skeletal muscles to their maximum capacity. You already have creatine in your muscles as a normal person, but when you supplement it you add more, although there is a ceiling. If you were to just take 5g daily upon getting the container, you'd be at your max capacity in a week or two, after which you'd take 5g daily to 'top it off'. However, given how cheap creatine monohydrate powder is, and how impatient we all are, loading is basically a good means to get to that saturation point in like 5 days, not a couple weeks. Loading schedules are about as 'concrete' as pudding, so I'll tell you how I load personally, and that's usually something like 4 doses daily for maybe 5 days to a week, more or less. ((((also note that, insofar as creatine dosing, the time of day is 100%, completely irrelevant as far as 'getting it in your muscles'. People will take it before going to the gym under the misconception that the dose they just took matters - it does not. If you cease using creatine it'll take a good little while, probably weeks, to get back down to normal baseline creatine levels. The daily dose is a top off dose, it's not like if you didn't take creatine yesterday or today you'd be weaker at the gym today.)))))

As far as the 'rest' phase, I have to imagine that's referring to off periods, as in cycling on and off creatine. This used to be recommended pretty much across the board, not so much anymore. I still go off once in a while but will definitley do a year straight w/o thinking twice about it. The schedules, and the accompanying logic, behind 'rest'/'on' periods is insane and, as far as I've ever been aware, completely based on opinion and nothing concrete. I know all labels used to recommend an off period and you don't see that anymore, which is comforting imo, as they're the ones who would get the shit-storm if it turned out cycling on/off were needed.

heh, yeah you're loading right, sorry i'm catching up on threads and was addressing your q's chronologically :). You don't have to do that period off if you don't want to, the arguments for cycling off are absolutely not proven or solid, to be fully honest I can't even play devil's advocate and give you a reason. Best I can do, but I do this on *everything* (including multivitamins, fish oil, etc), is say that I always like to go off anything I use regularly once in a while, but it's more of a peace of mind/psychological thing I think lol.

Good choices on the products btw.

As far as when to take your products, here's some info that may help, sorry for bullet pointing this:
- you don't want to ever be hungry, you should never ever be hungry, I'm pretty much sick to my stomach from too much food 24/7 on a bulk lol.
- after lifting, before bed, and upon waking are some important times to really make sure to get a meal down, and the reasoning is:
- before bed: you're gonna be sleeping, you want food in there
- in the morning: ya just slept all night and didn't eat!
- after a workout: This is an important time where you want to ensure as best a recovery as possible, and the general approach is something like this:
00:00 - lift
00:50 - heavy shake of carbs/protein, typically a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio with #'s around maybe 80g carbs/40g protein for your average sized guy. Note that you want fast everything here, fast digestion times, so you want whey protein, not casein or anything, and you want dextrose/maltodextrin/etc for carbs, not oats.
01:30 - huuuuuge ass meal, typically as soon as you can stomach it after that shake

that's pretty much the breakdown as far as 'timing' of food goes. Another tip I found helped me was the every other hour rule, I'd eat every other hour, usually half shakes half food, to hit my 3500 calorie goal. I'd always have heavier stuff before bed and in the morning, and pretty generic ~400-700 calorie meals through the day (counting shakes as meals, remember it's just powdered food), but the every other hour thing always helped. Another thing that helped me with nausea from the high glycemic weightgainers (which are pretty much buckets of malto and/or dextrose) was to add fiber, I'd typically just take psyllium husk fiber (well, I'd grind it in a coffee grinder for a better texture), and mix that into my shakes. The only problem is it expands, so while it helps the sugar rush feeling it does little for the bloating feeling!!

an okay mix for that postworkout formula I mentioned would be something I do which I may've mentioned already, which is to just dump chocolate quik powder into the whey. However, if memory serves, the sugars in quik don't have the same high glycemic kick that pure maltodextrin or dextrose does, but this is really a finer point, it's more about the calories/macros being in place than anything else.

***and further on the creatine dosage times, as I said they do not matter, however, heh, they kinda do... It's not that it matters, but say you were gonna have your creatine in water one morning. Instead, you wait til later on, after lifting, and toss it into your high glycemic shake of whey and dextrose. If you do that, you'll actually get a little more out of your creatine (the whole idea behind the 'cell tech' product, or my personal knockoff of said formula, 'gatorade + monohydrate'). But, this increase is so minimal that I wouldn't worry about it. If it works out I take it then, sometimes I take a 2nd dose after a workout (which I'm sure is 100% psychological lol and does nothing), but don't go out of your way to stop taking it in water in the morning so you can get that little extra outta it).

Cheers, and hope your feeling better now.

The protein I've got has a very small amount of carbs in.. I'm going to look for some dex/maltro carb suppliments.
Definetly not been getting in enough of what you said, consistently anyway.
Got to get a job because I cannot keep eating two steaks after a gym sesh.
Do you recommend any carb suppliments?

Also, how often should I have a rest day? I've been going to the gym for 9 days out of 10.. And on these rest days, should I still go for 3500 calories and same amount of protein etc?

Thanks again.

bingalpaws said:
an okay mix for that postworkout formula I mentioned would be something I do which I may've mentioned already, which is to just dump chocolate quik powder into the whey. However, if memory serves, the sugars in quik don't have the same high glycemic kick that pure maltodextrin or dextrose does, but this is really a finer point, it's more about the calories/macros being in place than anything else.

***and further on the creatine dosage times, as I said they do not matter, however, heh, they kinda do... It's not that it matters, but say you were gonna have your creatine in water one morning. Instead, you wait til later on, after lifting, and toss it into your high glycemic shake of whey and dextrose. If you do that, you'll actually get a little more out of your creatine (the whole idea behind the 'cell tech' product, or my personal knockoff of said formula, 'gatorade + monohydrate'). But, this increase is so minimal that I wouldn't worry about it. If it works out I take it then, sometimes I take a 2nd dose after a workout (which I'm sure is 100% psychological lol and does nothing), but don't go out of your way to stop taking it in water in the morning so you can get that little extra outta it).

What is quik powder? Is this nesquik chocolate milkshake stuff?
Been looking for some gatorade powder, but can't find any in the UK.
And I've been taking my protein shake (20g protein each) twice daily, two of them with creatine in, while the other two creatine loads I just take with a splash of milk and shot it down.
I've even been chucking it all into my porridge or muesli in the morning if I'm running late or something.

Yeah it's just like cocoa powder + sugar.

Gatorade's about the same, sugar + electrolytes (minerals, I think potassium, sodium, and maybe another in there).

You should have something extremely comparable if they don't have those tho, any generic sport drink is about the same (gatorade, powerade, whatever).

You've been taking your protein shake twice daily, so that's 40g of protein from shakes - what's your weight again and what is your daily protein intake including that 40g?

I'd advise against the creatine in milk. While I've never actually found anything very substantial on the subject, many seem to think creatine isn't stable that long in liquid. I have no idea about the validity of that, never really cared to look into it, so I've always avoided mixing creatine with a meal, or with milk, or with fatty stuff. I've always just used water, juices, or whey powder.

How much liquid are you getting a day?

If you could list, say, what you ate for food all day yesterday it'd be useful, I'm getting the feeling you may not be getting down enough.

I weigh 9 stone 5 pounds (about 132 pounds I think)

Yesterday's food:
Breakfast (10am) - big bowl of porridge with honey
11am - two big bananas and a creatine + whey protein shake
12pm - go to gym, drink 2 and a half litres of water
2pm - creatine + whey protein shake, 2 rump steaks with steamed baby corn and sugar snaps in a cream and red wine sauce (used lots of cream mmm :))
5pm - loaf of brioche with chocolate chips and vanilla swirls (400 grams)
8pm - chicken stir-fry with noodles in black bean sauce.
11pm - apple and about a litre of water before going to bed.

That, is above the average amount of what I've been eating each day for the past week.

Some days I'll drink up to 7 litres of water while others only 1 or 2. And I also drink a pint of milk every day (or two if I have enough).

Lucozade is the best equivalent to Gatorade we have, but I can't find it in powder..

I'm just gonna do some guessing on values here as half those items I didn't understand, nor were there portions given, but let's try to see a rough pic:

2 bananas/porridge is maybe 600 calories, 15g protein
whey shake (presuming 2 scoops) 240 calories, 40g protein
2 rump steaks - 500 calories, 50g protein
corn/sugar snaps/sauce - ~150 calories / 0 protein
brioche - 300 calories / 10 protein
chicken stir fry w/ noodles/beans - 500/20
apple - nothing :)

That's looking pretty low dude! Of course, those estimates probably have an error rate of like 30% in any direction since I have no idea what some of them are and the sizes of portions, but it's looking like you're getting ~2300 calories and 130g protein. Both of them need to go higher, and the protein may've been overstated as I factored in a double shake since you said after a workout (why no carbs with that post workout shake? You need to have carbs there just like you need the protein, protein helps you start building muscle/anabolism, and the carbs help to replenish muscle glycogen stores and also serve to spike insulin to help the protein do its job even better).

A program like fitday (fitday.com, free program, insanely easy after a couple days and still simple in the first ones) will allow you to see exactly your values here, and your weigh ins (if I didn't give proper weigh in procedure remind me to) will show how you're doing. Those 2 numbers are very important, you need to be able to understand their relationship so that you know the calorie levels you need to be taking in (otherwise, if you refuse to do that, which many do, the best approach to putting on size is to overshoot like crazy and scale back calories based on seeing fat in the mirror. You'd probably want to add 50% - 75% more calories, shit if not double those calories, if you're gonna go that route. But mapping out your calories for a couple weeks will really get you on track and, in conjunction with proper weigh ins, allow you to tweak your intake levels so you don't have to go overboard (which sucks for many because going overboard to ensure you're hitting protein/calorie goals essentially means eating / being full more, which is annoying during a bulk, wasting more cash on food, supplements, etc, and also ending up gaining more fat with your muscle!).

It can definitely be done either way, I recommend the fitday (or paper/pen, but that's a million times more annoying/inefficient) approach any day over just overshooting the calories/protein to the point you know you must've hit your goals. But in either case, that list really looks way on the light side, and that was a heavier eating day for you, you're gonna need to get the calories up one way or another to gain any appreciable muscle. If you signup fitday let me know what your actual values were for a day like that.

about the gatorade/lucozade powders, I dunno what to tell you there... I know here the gatorade powder isn't everywhere (and even places that have it here usually have the smaller size ones), sometimes it's a pain but walmart usually has one of the sizes.

You could always get maltodextrin or dextrose powder (both should actually be available at any beer-brewing stores, or online through places like bulknutrition), those would actually be slightly better, but won't taste as good. They're nutritionally equivalent (maltodextrin and dextrose), but dextrose is far sweeter, so that's your only real difference between the two.

I found fitday really annoying due to the food products giving wrong amounts of stuff in them, and adding in custom food all the time is slower than me noting it all down.

So I'm just going to make a file on my computer with all the food I eat, going to go through my fridge now and tally up what each product contains then I'll eat, repeat, eat until I'm hitting 3500 calories.

What's the best foods to eat right before going to the gym?

Also, when it comes to creatine, is there anything wrong with taking my 4 doses at once?
And carbs wise, what's this malarkey about 'of which sugars'?

fitday may seem annoying but, I've gotta tell you, most anyone who uses it will say it's the least annoying method of accurately knowing your calories and macronutrients. Keep in mind that, after entering a food into fitday, you never have to enter it again. If you have entered 'post workout shake', and entered its values, next time you just enter "1" for 1 shake, and it automatically does everything. Whether you use a computer program besides fitday or just fitday itself, plz plz do not underestimate the importance of this, and know that if you're not accurately tracking calories, the only smart way to eat (if trying to gain muscle) is to overshoot so you're gaining fat as well, and the fat gain essentially proves you are in a surplus so you don't have to track it to know on paper/computer you're in a surplus.

I've never found any 'best' foods for before the gym, just make sure you go after having had a meal, but not so soon you'll get sick from it. Don't go to the gym hungry!

I'd take the doses spread out for the creatine, just to play it safe, as I have no idea as to whether it will hinder absorption taking so much at once. I'd at least split it to 10g morning and 10g nighttime.

Haha the sugar malarky, you'll have to be more specific. If you're referring to the high glycemic carbs for use in your post workout shakes, just wiki or google 'high glycemic' and you'll realize exactly what I'm talking about. You want fast digesting carbs after a workout (in your post workout shake), stuff like sugar/maltodextrin/white bread/etc, not whole grains/fiber/oats.

What about pre-workout.. as early as breakfast etc. should I still be eating high GI carbs? Surely I would just be on a sugar rush roller coaster.

I'll start using fitday too.
Could you say what you eat / drink each day please, and I'll try and match it.
Just going to overshoot a load because I don't want to be weighing 9 stone something all the time.. While working out of course.

Just wondering, why do you think my protein shake states that is has a low amount of carbs as a good thing on the label? Is it for people who're cutting?

Really appreciate all your advice, bet this would cost me a bomb with a personal trainer.

high GI after workouts, any GI you choose at other times, although lower is recommended.

My food intake flies ALL over the place, as I'm lucky enough to have a fiance that keeps me in good dietary variety :). The only real constant is weightgainers and my morning smoothies (milk, ice, protein, quik, frozen berries, and a whole mess of peanut butter).

Low carbs and low/no fat are just advertising tools, don't pay them any mind :).

And no problem about the advice, it's very frustrating lifting w/o results so any help I can offer is worthwhile.

Ever heard of mood swings after eating 4 steaks?
I've eaten 4 steaks in 6 hours.. and I've got the meat sweats, as well as a temper, getting really snappy at anything and everything lol.
Is this just a coincidence?

^^^Aside from some possible irratability associated with GI discomfort i think that whole "meat aggression" thing is imaginary...