Does anyone have questions on bodybuilding supplements?

Oh and don't feel like an idiot- we all had to start somewhere and we can ALL learn something new.

^lol I was gonna PM you to see if you used that site- it rocks! :)

Damn, looks like I've got competition giving out my referral code then :p

Let's not completely disregard BCAAs, they do happen to be the fundamentals of muscle growth.

Whey however covers all the AAs you'll need, along with a proper diet.

I cbf flicking through the last 5 pages, but has Beta Alanine been given a mention?

I've heard many glowing reports, so I'm going to buy some soon. Without having tried it yet, I'd probably still rate it up there in the top 10.

It's also imperative to optimize your zinc & magnesium levels. Not enough zinc, & you'll be short test. Not enough magnesium & not only will it detriment your muscles, but that may cross over to a cognitive level too.

eDDe9 said:
So no need for anything else other than creatine and whey?
well the only "needs" are sufficient protein, fat, total calories, and micronutrients (vitamins, efa's, etc), and you'll be able to gain. Whey is a good convenience product if you need some help hitting your daily protein goals, and creatine is good for a little boost in both strength/size.

shamus said:
Let's not completely disregard BCAAs, they do happen to be the fundamentals of muscle growth.

Whey however covers all the AAs you'll need, along with a proper diet.
Oh I should've been more clear - bcaa's are absolutely necessary, and whey does not necessarily cover them all. But as you said, with proper diet, ie enough total protein consumed, it's all but impossible to miss getting enough bcaa's.

shamus said:
I cbf flicking through the last 5 pages, but has Beta Alanine been given a mention?
What's "cbf"? If it's been mentioned it wasn't too much, you can actually search just this thread alone if you didn't know that through the button up top for this thread only.

shamus said:
I've heard many glowing reports, so I'm going to buy some soon.
Anecdotal reports only, or have you found scientific backing/proofs of any sort?

shamus said:
Without having tried it yet, I'd probably still rate it up there in the top 10.
Those must've been some damn convincing reports you've read, plz link some of them if you can.

shamus said:
It's also imperative to optimize your zinc & magnesium levels. Not enough zinc, & you'll be short test. Not enough magnesium & not only will it detriment your muscles, but that may cross over to a cognitive level too.
Same for all micronutrients, and water - don't neglect basic health requirements people!! =D

^C'mon SURELY you can work out what cbf stands for!

I'll give you a clue the first word is "couldn't"....

heh, I got "couldn't be fucked" through google, doesn't seem to fit too well tho lol

i say buy aprotein powder with bcaa's and glutamine in it. no reason to use additional glutamine and bcaa's imo.

also COCONUT OIL is a godsend. When i drink this shit raw It feels like yohimbine or something... I feel like i need to run and destroy everything in my wake and i feel all burnin' up.

fukhed14 said:
i say buy aprotein powder
if you need it - whole foods are almost universally better, so if you're able to hit your daily protein #'s w/o using powdered protein, that's good, but powders are just good for convenience, to reach the #'s w/o having the meals.
fukhed14 said:
with bcaa's and glutamine in it.
all protein powders have this (most protein sources as well. Any 'complete' protein source should provide ample amounts of bcaa's and glutamine, many would be surprised the bcaa+glutamine content of a glass of milk =D .
fukhed14 said:
no reason to use additional glutamine and bcaa's imo.
definitely, if you're hitting protein requirements, you're all but guaranteed to have exceeded any specific amino acid requirements, whether bcaa's or glut.
fukhed14 said:
also COCONUT OIL is a godsend. When i drink this shit raw It feels like yohimbine or something... I feel like i need to run and destroy everything in my wake and i feel all burnin' up.
Placebo effect? I'm completely unaware of any alkaloids in there that'd give you anything *remotely* like what you're describing (check ingredients as well - lots of products do shit like label it "coconut oil", yet you read the nutritional facts and there's a ton of other crap..).

bingalpaws said:
if you need it - whole foods are almost universally better, so if you're able to hit your daily protein #'s w/o using powdered protein, that's good, but powders are just good for convenience, to reach the #'s w/o having the meals.

I always use the whey on top of my 3000 calories from food intake for quick digestion of protein and to make sure I don't empty my fridge every day

1. yes food is always better, but my point was instead of buying glutamine, bcaa's, etc etc, just get a good protein powder.

2. I didn't know this.

3. yea

4. Nope. I used to use every drug in the book, and i know when something is effecting me and when it isn't. I don't get placebo effect. I have never felt this amount of energy from a food source before. I have felt a lot of energy after eating a steak or other foods with high saturated fats in them. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

I have a fitday diet question

I'm a small guy trying to gain wait and here is what I've eaten today

Food Name
Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled
Muffin, English, cheese
Ham, sliced, extra lean, prepackaged or deli, luncheon meat
Coffee, NS as to type
Milk, cow's, fluid, 1% fat
Bagel, everything
Cheese, cream
Cheese, cottage, lowfat, 2% milkfat
whey, water
Crackers, whole wheat and bran

Supposedly this amount has already meet my calorie requirments for weight gain... but I'm still hungry and haven't eaten dinner yet (probably gonna have some chicken and pasta or rice plus a beer or two)...

Fat: 53 479 32%
Sat: 21 189 13%
Poly: 9 77 5%
Mono: 18 158 11%
Carbs: 141 538 36%
Fiber: 7 0 0%
Protein: 115 461 31%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

I'm going to trust my gut on this one and eat at least another meal.... this is just so confusing for someone who never really gave a shit. I just have a feeling I'm being way to picky... my protein and fat content are fine, but I just need some more carbs (thats what the pasta is for)..

To tell you the truth I was unsure for some of the serving sizes and had to guess

p-mo said:
Man Im seriously poor- I can barely afford whey protein let alone some more expensive supplements. At the moment Ive got some whey protein, creatine, multi-vits, Milk Thistle and fish oil. After food , rent, etc all I can top up is protein. :(

While I don't have this problem anymore, one of my biggest complaints about this country is how expensive it is to be healthy/eat healthy... especially with the increasing amount of work hours we find ourselves stuck with.

The government tries to blame it on shit like tv and video games or a kid having access to a fucking candy bar at school... which are contributors of course... but the bigger problem is food is getting expensive and its cheaper just to eat crap food. And people wonder why Americans, especially the impoverished, tend to have obesity problems.

/rant over

Last edited:
If you want to gain and your already small and skinny then go ahead and eat more. If your worried at all about your fat gain then go ahead. Personally I dont think thats enough to gain... and almost certainly not enough protein (unless they were huge quantities of cheese and ham). I dont use fitday so maybe someone who does would have a better idea...

Yeah I agree with you even though Im on the other side of the pond :)

p-mo said:
If you want to gain and your already small and skinny then go ahead and eat more. If your worried at all about your fat gain then go ahead. Personally I dont think thats enough to gain... and almost certainly not enough protein (unless they were huge quantities of cheese and ham). I dont use fitday so maybe someone who does would have a better idea...

Yeah I agree with you even though Im on the other side of the pond :)

Yeah and no it wasn't huge amounts of ham and cheese... I think I need to figure out fitday a little more. Right now, I'm not really worried about gaining fat because I'm still about 5 pounds underweight... and I actually love cardio work.. its sucks I have to do all this damn lifting hahah

Anyways, I lived in London for awhile and the situation is pretty similar over there... its a bit worse here I think, but who knows... seemed to be the situation all over the UK as well, Wales and Scotland included but I only went to a Edinburgh and Cardiff in those countries.

Last edited:
About not being able to afford whey.. it is something like 20p (sterling) per serving which is often around 20 grams of protein. Much cheaper than buying meat