• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

does marinol make you high?

i was in the hospital and they actually gave me merinol because im a medicinal marijuana patient and didnt have my medicine with me (and even if i did there was no way they were gonna let me smoke it in or around the hospital) i didn't feel much off of it. but it took the edge off of my crave to smoke

high

To be perfectly honest, i get the ten mg dranabinols off and acquaintance, and one or two get me wrecked. I'm thirty and have been smoking pot since 13.
( http://goo.gl/24w8E )

Last edited:
Quick addendum, i get anxiety from thc, with my marinol, would you guys recommend diazepam or clonazepam to take away the anxiety, or would that kill the high? I just don't like how introspective it can get, I've had a long time opiate habit and i have done much wrong in my life, and thc always makes me dwell on that. That is the one thing i hate about thc

subjective

This thread has been going on for too long or am i just fucked it keeps coming up....

NO marinol does not get you high and i dont give a fuck what anyone says... consult your local pediatrician if you dont believe me! Marinol gives you some of the positive side effects of marijuana like increased appetite but it doesnt make you feel stoned.

Why cant people google or even wikipedia this shit...

This is obviously from what i read different from person to person. Its very subjective, there is no way you can listen to the above quote, I'm very fucking high right now, off two ten mg gels. Very very high, and i am not a n00b to drugs. I think when i read a quote like the one above, it is just trolling
Look at my nick, then click on this pic → http://goo.gl/5FeGI
Mygreenbic

Last edited:
My Marinol Experience

For the past 6 years, I have had severe symptoms with my digestive disorders, mainly nausea and vomiting. At one point, I was hospitalized for 2 weeks and lost 65 pounds from vomitng everything that was put in my body (unintentionally). Doctors tried every medication out there (phenergan, zofran, zoloft, bentyl, xanax, etc.) at one point they even tried me on thorazine - i guess thinking the sickness was all in my head but it wasn't. I was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis, porphyria, IBS, and reflux but I kept vomitting all the pills and even the sublinguals and suppositories gave me no relief. The only medicine that would help was cannabis. I told my doctor I could digest anything and everything after I smoked a fatty. He put me on marinol and it worked incredibly. Not only am I almost completely better but my life is back on track.

I still enjoy cannabis but found that taking a few (4-5 5mg) marinol an hour before smoking, it really intensifies the high. Very cerebral but extreme muchies so be careful not to empty your cabinets after taking dronabinol. The pill alone doesn't give you a buzz but you can take a safety pin and drizzle it on a bowl and blast off!!!

I say Marinol is pretty fucking good. If you smoke blunts of kush all day you might not feel it, but it definitely has a positive effects. Only thing I hate about it is it's so fucking expensive. The price has dropped from insanely expensive to very expensive since dronabinol went generic. It's cheaper to just buy weed. It's a combination of production costs, regulations, and milking sick dying people for money. If it weren't so expensive it'd be more popular, same with Desoxyn.

Generic pharmaceutical companies wanted to grow weed to get THC, since the synthesis is hard and expensive, but the DEA said no:(.

How much are ya'll paying for marinol? i get 60 5mg pills for $10. Maybe my health insurance is just kick-ass!

When my father was getting chemotherapy, sometimes a representative from the company that made and/or sold Marinol came in and gave a "2 minute presentation" in the Chemo Ward about Marinol. He then typed up a script for each patient and the DOCTOR SIGNED the scripts and they gave them back to the patients. It was a Schedule III drug at that time. I don't think it is hard to get.

My father refused it when I told him what it was. He said 3 things he would never be involved in were Communism, Narcotics and Homosexuality. About 3 months before he died, he relented on the Narcotics.

Willie

correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure weed or marinol do not fall under the category 'narcotics', which usually refers to opioid painkillers and other hard drugs. I dont think many people if anyone considers weed or marinol to be a hard drug....

swimmerman89 said:
How much are ya'll paying for marinol? i get 60 5mg pills for $10. Maybe my health insurance is just kick-ass!
You do have good insurance. I remember before generic dronabinol Marinol cost like $3000 dollars! Now with generics the cost about $800 for 10mg, $400-500 for 5mg. Think Marinol might be cheaper in other countries besides the US, even a little bit less than Sativex.

Sativex costs about $125 for a vial that lasts at most 10 days. I can only imagine how much Sativex would cost in the US due to drug law and pharma's price gouging. Probably won't get approved.

Still way cheaper just to buy or grow weed, even at black market prices. I can only imagine how cheap weed would be if it was legal.

I am a 17 year old cancer survivor and I can say that marinol did get me really high and also helped me eat bit I let one of my friends try them and he said it did almost nothing so I guess it just depends who you are

^^I agree, depends on the person. And once you build a tolerance to it there's no longer an effect (which is for most medical cannabis users). I started taking 5mg Marinol once or twice a day for nausea/appetite and it helped, but didn't particular get me high (like smoking anyway). It was more similar to eating an edible, but there was definitely some psychoactivity.

damn i wish i could try one of those, i feel like i'd be one of the people who get high as shit

i also don't get how some people don't get high on it. isn't it THC? i get that there aren't other cannabinoids there, but still... go figure

You folks have to remember that not all people react the same to drugs. About 10% of the World Population has an "amphetamine" reaction to opiods prescribed for pain and anti-inflammation. It's all in how your neuro-immunological pathways are arranged...since your birth. So one guy may not have a "high" from marinol and anoth may have a high from marinol. Marinol is given to gain weight for cancer patients, AIDS patients, leaky gut syndrome, anyone undergoing radiation/chemo treatment for any disease, etc. So why so many are interested in its psycho-active effects (a high) on this thread is kind of weird. If you want to know about it, do as "pkt" directed and research it in as many certified research papers as you can find. DO NOT take any advice from a comment forum like this or what some "friend" told you, to make a decision on taking ANY drug. That puts you in the lower 10percentile of intelligence. You can get marinol from your doctor by prescription if you have cachexia (unexplained weight loss) and maybe your insurance company (you did sign up for the ACA or Obama care, didn't you?) will cover it. You will have a co-pay just like all the rest of us. If you don't have cachexia then you can find the information you want on non-smokable forms of cannabis on the web EVERYWHERE! Hundreds of articles. So to end, when you come to a simple question like this one, don't make a big deal out of it and argue with other people's experiences because what ALL of us experience is in some degree different than what others experience. Be well and be happy.

If you prepare a brownie mix or an oatmeal cookie mix or any other type of good munchie, the correct proportions of well sifted cannabis is 1oz. of cannabis to one normal preparation of cookie mix (et.al.) If you double the cookie mix then you double the cannabis. As is the experience of MOST people who eat their cannabis, the high comes much LATER and much more INTENSE AND lasts much LONGER than smoking a dube or taking marinol. Just like taking only one hit of a joint will not do much to you (even the best of hybrids), taking a lesser dose of marinol may not do much for you either or cutting the amount you use in "cookies". You may eat more but that may not be enough to help. It may give you a psycho-active effect but it will usually not be as great as if you used normal measurements in a recipe or took more than one hit. Some people do not react optimally at one dose as compared to what another person may find as quite satisfactory or even over the top. Again, everyone is different. Be careful, there are allergic reactions to everything, so use your brain. If you are going to use more of THC in any of its many forms, try it incrementally. That is take 2 hits vs. 1 and stop and assess the effects over a half hour. If you are cooking with it, try an ounce and a quarter of cannabis, eat it and see what type of response you get. If it is over the top (you getting stupid and falling down) then you know you have to take a step back. The smaller the incremental change you make, usually the longer the positive effects will present. If you have a marinol prescription that does not quite do it for you, ask for a stronger one at your next doctor visit. As long as you are cooking and REALLY looking to increase your weight get a GOOD protein supplement that you can cook with and put one serving of it in your recipe, use butter not margarine, add good stuff like carrots (carrot cake), zucchini, nuts (if you are not allergic), berries (raisins, craisins, chopped dry fruit, etc.). However, don't forget your REAL meal schedule which should be 4 or 5 meals a day of moderate but nutritionally sound calorie intake, depending on the severity of your cachexia. Again it all depends on how YOU are made. Bigger people will need more food, smaller...less food. DISCLOSURE: I am not a doctor nor a medical personnel. Anything I have suggested to you should not be considered as medical advice and is strictly and solely written as entertainment. Thanks and be well.

Last edited:
Yes, I can say with complete authority as a eight-year user that it can and does get you high. Those who keep insisting that it doesn't don't have a clue and are just showing how ignorant they are in their inability to comprehend the fact that different people are affected in different ways by many drugs. It is best to just ignore such chatter and pay attention to the facts as others have related here. I used marijuana for over 30 years smoking it all day every day before I quit and much later had to go on Marinol during cancer treatment. It got me high but caused severe paranoia when I first started using the 10 mg dose orally. I then tried marijuana after nearly 15 years of non-use and experienced a "fuller high" but again extreme paranoia that I never experienced when I was younger. I then tried managing the dose of Marinol by squeezing the oil out of the gelcap onto parsley -- nothing happened. Tried again on catnip and I got blasted on just two tokes. A joint of marinol oil from a 10 mg gelcap could last me several days. I was only seeking relief of the stomache aches and lack of appetite caused by chemo - not a high but I always got a mild to a much stronger one depending on how much I smoked. It also depends on who manufactures it as to how well it works. Marinol that I still have in the refrigerator that is now eight years old is at least twice as strong as the brand RiteAid now handles. In fact the brand now dispensed by RiteAid as 10 mg is no stronger than what the 2-1/2 mg is in the oldest bottle of Marinol I have from 2008 when smoked on catnip. I hardly used the 2-1/2 at the time because orally it did nothing and I was immediately moved up to 10 mg. Avoid the round fleshy colored ones made by AKORN and ask for the orange oblong ones by a PAR (Par Pharmaceutical). BTW, Marinol has virtually wiped out all symtoms I get from Restless Leg Syndrome and from Fructose Malabsorption Disorder. Don't know if weed is good for these ailments or not. Also, side effects from Marinol dissipate with use. Additionally, early warnings that it can be physically addictive, etc., are unfounded. I can go two months without using it if my Restless Leg stays in check (Marinol has virtually cured this disease that the professionals say there is no cure for). Nonetheless, I now used it about five times a week or more so can eat what I want due to my Fructose disorder. Medical marijuana is legal where I live but not covered by my insurance and is costly while Marinol is covered by my insurance. A bottle of 60 pills costs me $12 and can last me for months. I guess it would go a lot faster if I wanted to get high and I quadrupled the dosage.

Marinol is THC, not a different chemical, it's the exact same THC found in cannabis. Of course it can get you high. The high of course will undoubtedly be somewhat different without other cannabinoids present, but let's not forget that without THC cannabis would not really get you high at all. If anyone finds it difficult to feel 'high' taking them, it's likely because the pills are dosed reasonably low, especially if you're someone who smokes weed anyway and has a tolerance.

In response to you answer about contolling nausea, I'd like to add my experience. When I started HIV meds I lost my appetite and began to feel not-quite-right all the time, with occasional waves of nausea. I began to lose about a pound each..

^LOL you made me laugh my fuckin ass off and I am in oxy wd's!!! And not even stoned, I ran out a week ago after blazing all year long all day every day in enormous amounts (no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever by the way, apart from 2 nights of worsened insomnia and appetite suppression).

I have dabbed 99.9% pure THC-A crystal, and it got me more stoned than any cannabis product I have ever used in my life. By far. It had every effect of cannabis that I know and love, and confirmed to me my suspicion that the only chemical in cannabis that is important to me is the THC. (just my reaction, I know people like terpenes and CBD and stuff but that makes no difference to me... the higher potency hash oil the better. It also raised my tolerance to such extremes that I was ripping fat blunts and bowls for a month afterwards with almost zero effect while my tolerance was still going down from multiple daily blunts and who knows how many bong tops of the chronnnnn

Not sure about marinol as that would be orally activated THC right. Probably pussy-weak doses too if it's coming from the pharmacy.

Last edited:
I actually really enjoyed it but also dont smoke like you potheads. :)