• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

does marinol make you high?

pkt said:
This thread has been going on for too long or am i just fucked it keeps coming up....

NO marinol does not get you high and i dont give a fuck what anyone says... consult your local pediatrician if you dont believe me! Marinol gives you some of the positive side effects of marijuana like increased appetite but it doesnt make you feel stoned.

Why cant people google or even wikipedia this shit...

pediatrician

what are you like 5?

melange said:
pediatrician

what are you like 5?

8)
Actually im turning 11 in 2 weeks and i get straight b's in skool im probly even smarterr than you so like get a life...

Marinol is (literally) unheard of in my area so i can't say from experience but i imagine it's very weak in comparison to marijuanas vast amount of chemicals and intensity when smoked.
Plus i read that marinol has only around a 40% bioavailability when taken orally and takes a long time to get into circulation and even when that comes around it's nothing spectacular.

And pkt, don't be such an asshole, he just asked a simple question.

Oh man but i bet taking 3-4 marinol pills and smokin some weed on a friday afternoon would make for a killer night.

Last edited:
theworks said:
how are all you guys able to get marinol in the first place? not asking for sources per say, but i mean damn we're talking about a pretty serious medicine prescribed for cancer patients. I hate to think of the cancer patients suffering without their medicine
When my father was getting chemotherapy, sometimes a representative from the company that made and/or sold Marinol came in and gave a "2 minute presentation" in the Chemo Ward about Marinol. He then typed up a script for each patient and the DOCTOR SIGNED the scripts and they gave them back to the patients. It was a Schedule III drug at that time. I don't think it is hard to get.

My father refused it when I told him what it was. He said 3 things he would never be involved in were Communism, Narcotics and Homosexuality. About 3 months before he died, he relented on the Narcotics.

Willie

killo said:
Marinol is simply JUST THC. No other cannabinoids are in it.

Marinol is not THC. It is synthetic THC, there is a difference.

pkt said:
This thread has been going on for too long or am i just fucked it keeps coming up....

NO marinol does not get you high and i dont give a fuck what anyone says... consult your local pediatrician if you dont believe me! Marinol gives you some of the positive side effects of marijuana like increased appetite but it doesnt make you feel stoned.

Why cant people google or even wikipedia this shit...

Uh I just wanted to point out it says right on the prescription pamphlet that one of the possible side effects is feeling "high."

I took that particular medication in the hospital to help with appetite and found it to be quite pleasurable. I did notice some similar effects with bud, but nowhere near "on par" with some good cough... different.

firsty said:
THC=THC.
regardless of how its made

The active ingredient in marinol is dronabinol.

Dronabinol is a synthetic version of THC but it is still a different chemical...

It's schedule 3 so it obviously has abuse potential.

It's suppose to get you high, but not stoned. Because it's pure synthed thc which is quite stimulating on it's own.

Drack said:
Uh I just wanted to point out it says right on the prescription pamphlet that one of the possible side effects is feeling "high."

Well,.......there you go!

The entire scoop on Marinol

Ok so first let me say Marinol is the shit. In my opinion it gives you all the benefits of smoking weed without any of the negatives. It makes you feel happy for a longer period of time, it is a more psychological high than physical, you can function much better in terms of day to day stuff, eyes arent all bloodshot, you arent all groggy like an hour later, your lungs arent effected.

You do NOT get high the way you do when you smoke weed its very different. When you smoke you feel high within a few minutes, its much more intense there are more highs and lows. When you take marinol you just feel a calm pleasentness in the beginning later on like 2 hours later your mind feels kind of high in terms of the way your thoughts bounce around and creative juices flow. Movies are better, you may get a bit of the giggles etc etc

I took a pill because my friend got perscribed it. After I took it i though that it kinda sucked. Didnt feel much, a little relaxed maybe. 2 hours went by and i started catching myself doing stupid things you may do when you are high. Then i slowly started to realize that I was effected but in a much more "pleasent mental" way. Very smooth, relaxing, happy feeling. I went jogging and even excercised...things I would never do if i had smoked. Jogging was very nice because my mind just felt so smooth yet my body wasnt lathargic etc.

People who like getting stoned, or really high, blitzed etc may not like it as much as someone like me who just likes the peaceful mental aspect of THC. I would say all in all i really love it. I kept 4 and took them over the weekend (you can take 2 a day) man i had a very enjoyable sat and sunday.

I used to get marinol alot but would never take it without smoking weed so I am not really in a position to objectively judge. We would also crack them open and leak the oil onto bowls etc.

My roomate ate 20mgs before an AC/DC show and felt nothing, then as soon as we left the show, he got uber stoned. He looked extremely ripped w/ blood shot eyes and big-ass grin. He then wolfed down a double chili cheeseburger and fries, so it does increase the appetite. He still says it was one of the highest he's ever been and he was a daily smoker at one point. So whoever says it can't get you high is full of shit.

Yes, Marinol got me super super high! You should check out my trip report if your interested! Long story short, I got super blazed, got cotton mouth really bad, and hate worse munchies than I've ever had. I also got super beat after the effects wore off.

I always took it without weed and each time I took 30mg with a pretty good regular weed tolerance (smoking atleast once every day)

Last edited:
I've tried it a couple times many years ago and got nothing from it. From talking to others who've also tried it, it really seems to be a mixed bag. Some get really high, some a little, and some nothing like myself.

ya I work in a pharmacy and I don't remember where exactly but I remember reading somewhere (possibly on the bottle.. ?) that you should take it with fatty foods in order for it to absorb correctly and that always worked. I used to take them during school and it never kicked in until lunch 4th period where I would eat a bag of chips or something, and then proceed to blow the rest of the money in my lunch account ;)

ive never been able to get high from it and i have been on marinol for several years. all it did for me was give me cotton mouth like a biotch and a headache from hell....its taken for nausea and appitite for people with cancer and AIDS...i have BENEFITED from using it a lot

It's just THC, so you're if taking it to get high you'll get all the disadvantages of THC on it's own as you'll be missing out on all the benefits of the synergistic combination of the plethora of hundreds of cannabinoids naturally present in cannabis. Even when taken as directed for medical purposes i.e. nausea, anorexia etc. it can work for some people, more people ironically get much more benefit from straight herbal cannabis. The other cannabinoids can be just as therapeutic, if not more than THC alone.

I'd rather grow my own organic weed as nature intended than pay some crook of a pharmaceutical company for their synthetic crap. It's a bit hypocritical that they legitimize their Marinol on the one had, but demonize cannabis on the other and criminalize anybody who dares to smoke or grow it. It's all about profit though, so I'm not surprised.

Last edited: