• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

^^NSFW material
Night Trawler
Robert Steven Connett​
omzkPMf.jpg

http://www.grotesque.com/museum/NewVmmPages/art_thumbnail_pg1.html
(Artist writing about the painting)
R.S Connett said:
The "NIGHT TRAWLER" is the boat of my dreams. I would love to live on this boat. To glide from place to place on still and rough waters. Inside this boat is everything I have ever wanted or loved. In my imagination, I am this boat. It is my sanctuary, my retreat, my hideaway. No one can touch me here.

I want to walk into this picture and disappear. I wish to leave the absurd trials and tribulations of men behind, and become part of my painted world. A more interesting and mysterious world where fish rise up above the water to stare at men. Where fish can fly like birds, and translucent creatures swim across the starry night sky shimmering in moonlight.

kruis_grt.jpg

This has always been my favorite painting, look at the hands, actually do a google of Mathias Grunewald Issenheim Alterpeice, and you'll find close ups of the hands. Perfection. I'm no religious man but I am an artist, and this is the only thing that makes me feel close to jesus.

Greetings Zneg, what do you think of the artist Robert Steven Connett? (I posted a link a few posts up)

great thread,

And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun,
and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars.

(Revelation xii, 1)

Geertgen tot Sint Jans. Glorification of the Virgin ca. 1480. Tempera on panel (27 × 21 cm.) Museum Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam.

I love the tiny musicians.

There is a rather large exhibition of the portraiture of Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641) at the Frick Museum in NYC, I checked it out yesterday:

His mistress, looking more than a bit seductive.

His friend and art dealer doing business.

A very young William and Mary.

Done at the age of 14(!)

Lots of other cool stuff there as well, including in their permanent collection - I'll make another post about some of those sometime.

All of the above and much more is at the Frick's website. A very cool museum as it is, apart from particular exhibitions and sometime acquisitions, the permanent collection is almost entirely that of a single person (Mr. Frick, as it would be), and thus is to his taste, particular but fairly eclectic. There are actually a few very well known and iconic pictures there as well as a lot of interesting and beautiful paintings and objects. A lot of society portraiture, and other painting ranging from religious sculpture to pastel rococo scenes with putti and allegorical seasons and such.

Last edited:
Both of the (anti) Trump pieces in here make me very happy in the midst of my overwhelming Trump despair.

SKq5o89.jpg

Abrooks spunflower... he just posted this one today. It is version number 2. I appreciate his artwork. I don't have much of an explanation, but I can't wait until some prints/pins drop :) it's also cool because he is from the area I frequent. So catching his live paintings is always cool... learning a few things, or two.

i like this piece, almost transports you to a different state, artist is fulvio di piazza
this is from his site: "di Piazza says the works are surreal renderings inspired by the work of political and economic theorist Jeremy Rifkin, in particular his book Entropy (1980)." interesting because i think the name Rifkin rings a bell because he was mentioned in some adam curtis documentaries.

FulvioDiPiazza_SleepingMountain.jpg

i can see the resemblance between Jeremy Rifkin and the anthropomorphic tree.

NSFW:
dYOwzL5.jpg
6YcEaTh.jpg

^LOL, I love your mind, mond.=D

Here is a small section of incredible Islamic embroidery from the Museum of Islamic and Turkish Art in Istanbul. The piece is about twenty feet long silk. While I know it is from the Koran I have no idea which verse because I forgot to write it down.8)

To Question; you probably know this but Thomas Jefferson said, "It is everyman's duty to question authority!" Here's one for you; is this the place to post jpgs of my tattoos? I joined this past weekend, on different place I read how to post pics here, mumbo jumbo to me! I got my "Flying Fucking Finger," back ink, as my avatar. Have a few more :)

To Question; you probably know this but Thomas Jefferson said, "It is everyman's duty to question authority!" Here's one for you; is this the place to post jpgs of my tattoos? I joined this past weekend, on different place I read how to post pics here, mumbo jumbo to me! I got my "Flying Fucking Finger," back ink, as my avatar. Have a few more :)

yes, any art that you enjoy can be posted here.

The_Battle_of_Lepanto_of_1571_full_version_by_Juan_Luna.jpg

Juan Luna, La Batalla de Lepanto de 1571 (1887)

(speaking of Turkey ...)

The EU announced a new migration policy yesterday (without much in it)

The Guardian said:
... offering aid, trade and expertise to countries bearing the brunt of migration flows in the Middle East and north Africa. Those that fail to comply will not get the aid or the trade. “There are consequences,” one EU memo ominously reads, “for those that refuse.”

Those taking the carrot will be expected to make life a bit better for the millions of migrants within their borders. Above all, they are tasked with readmitting the few who manage to escape – and to stopping the rest from leaving in the first place. It is the EU-Turkey deal, but repeated across the southern Mediterranean and the Sahara.

Whenever I read about the influx of "migrants" (or "refugees") into the EU, and the subsequent demographic changes, I think of the Battles of Lepanto (1571) and Tours (732) where Catholic Europe decisively defeated invading Islamic forces. Today the invasion is not military, but I think of these points in European history and what "our" (speaking as an American of European descent) ancestors would think about allowing such a huge influx of migrants of the same peoples they fought against then, which is already effecting the demograpic and cultural integrity of those countries.

[Realize this will upset people but any discussion belongs here, inter alia, in CE&P; but the thread did ask "why" ...]

Last edited:
^LOL, I love your mind, mond.=D
Very kind of you, although that would make you the first person to feel that way. its been turning against me as of late and some of my fellow humans, particularly a few who i have to share public transit with, have not been making me feel any better. My last post was an attempted witticism, however Mr Rifkin does in fact resemble the tree. :)

I have a flickr account dating back to 2007, i used to spend a lot of time combing through the photos and many that i decided to favorite way back then are still inspirational today!

1564279547_becaad6148_b.jpg

artist