Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Sinicuichi - First time - Extreme Pain

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
**This report will be posted as it was written, back in 2004.**

Last night, I had the displeasure of trying Sinicuichi for the first and only time, and I had a reaction to it that I think is important to add to the collective experience of our community.

First, a little background information. I am 21 years old, have seasonal allergies, and sometimes seem to experience a mild allergic reaction to cut grass. I thought this might possibly have something to do with my reaction, as sinicuichi resembles grass a lot. I have a moderate history with psychedelics, and I've been a daily marijuana smoker and a several-times-weekly drinker for about 4 1/2 years now (no longer). Yesterday was when I took the sinicuichi, and that day all I had done was smoke a couple of times earlier in the day.

Okay, so last night I consumed a tea (unreduced by boiling, yuck) made of 10 grams of sinicuichi. This tea had been sitting in my refridgerator for a while, the better part of a week. After I choked the bitter brew down (this stuff makes kratom taste like candy), I sat back to listen to music and read Erowid experience reports. After about a half an hour, I noticed that the music had taken on a new quality, with literally every note dropping so that every song I heard was in a new, lower key (note from later, much like DiPT but much more linear, less weird, and MUCH less intensely). Strange, I thought. I started to feel real relaxed, and I layed down in my bed, continuing to listen to music, unmoving. After about another half hour, I noticed the music was getting a slight metallic edge to it, and in general it was altered in many strange and subtle ways.

Then, I tried to move to go to the bathroom, and to my dismay, I found that almost every single muscle in my entire body was horribly, horribly sore. It literally took me five minutes to walk fifteen feet to the bathroom, as my legs couldn't fully extend. I laid back down, bewildered, and I began to notice that music sounded very wrong at this point. It was as if I couldn't hear certain tones as tones, but rather as jumbles of sound. People's voices had metallic edges to them, and would sometimes seem to be an octave deeper (which was bizarre). All of this would have been interesting, if not cool, except I was seriously starting to get worried. My muscles were actually in so much pain that I could barely move, and it hurt badly to breathe more than lightly. It was impossible to take a full breath, as my chest was too tight. I took a few motrin (ibuprofen) and tried to make myself some tea. While I was pouring the boiling water out of the tea kettle, I lost my grip due to my extremely weak and painful muscles, and hot water scalded my leg.

I tried smoking some buds, but it did absolutely nothing whatsoever for some reason. I gave up when the motrin did absolutely nothing and went to sleep, or tried to. After about 3 hours of sleep, I woke up to literally twice the muscle pain, and the need to pee. I fell twice on the way (remember, it's only about 15 feet from my bed to the toilet), and I'm not ashamed to say that I literally cried from the pain for a while, which I haven't done in a very long time. I was only able to get a couple of more hours of actual sleep, and I had very vivid but anxiety-filled dreams (which is pretty common for me - when I actually remember dreams anymore, they're generally not bad dreams, but they contain stressful situations).

This morning, I woke up a couple of hours ago to a lot of pain, but reduced from yesterday. Sounds are still a little off, but it's back to having music be a few keys lower, without distortions. In other words, as opposed to last night where music no longer sounded good because the notes were all off, now it sounds right but just lower in pitch. I took a hot bath and it barely helped. It still hurts to breathe more than lightly, which is actually the most painful part. I know that many have had good reactions to sinicuichi, and also that there have been a number of bad reports, similar to mine. However, I haven't ever read about anyone with a reaction quite like mine. I think maybe I'm allergic or something? I really have no idea, but I wanted to add my bad experience so that we might someday figure out what causes this to happen. Oh, also I just remembered, I smoked about 1.5 grams of sinicuichi around a week ago and it didn't cause me any body pain, but I did get sick the next day with a bad cold. However, it was probably starting anyway and the timing was just bad.

One thing is for sure, I won't ever be taking sinicuichi again. I hope this pain fades soon, as I can barely walk and am quite miserable.

(Remainder written from today's perspective, July 18th, 2007)

For the rest of that day, I was in so much pain still that I had to miss all of my classes and lay in bed. I can't describe the level of pain I was in, it was really practically supernatural. It felt like every muscle in my body, including my eye muscles, were completely saturated with lactic acid or something. It was truly horrendous. Also, the sound distortions lasted for 5 or 6 days unabated. I began to very seriously worry that I had damaged my hearing. Music sounded just plain wrong. It was in tune with itself, but transposed down so that no song sounded the same as it should. It all sounded worse, and I began to despair that I could never fully enjoy music again.

At the end of the 2nd day, I was still in a lot of pain, and I realized I had ordered kratom with the sinicuichi as well but hadn't tried it yet. I heard it was opiate-like, so I tried an 8-gram dose to see if it would help. Fortunately, it did. Within 15 minutes my muscle pain faded and I literally leaped around my room in joy and kratom-induced euphoria. The kratom didn't fix my hearing but it sure neutralized the pain.

And thus marked the start of a years-long battle with addiction to a leafy plant from Thailand. But that is another story.

substancecode_sinicuichi
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
explevel_firsttime
roacode_oral
exptype_negative
exptype_difficult

Last edited:
It's an herbal substance. A lot of people report positive experiences. A lot of people also use the traditional method of making a tea with it and letting it ferment in the sun for a day or so, which I did not do. So that may have something to do with it. But in any case I wanted to share this experience with the community as a potential effect of sinicuichi.

Wow Xorkoth, thanks, very interesting indeed. What alkaloids are supposedly in there. Maybe if we could see the molecules we could see what fermentation products could result?

Also, when I read that you had that sample of Kratom with the tea " I thought uhoh, thats why he does kratom" Very similar to me the first time I took a Percocet I thought it was the greatest feeling ever.

Intresting had never heard of it before today

Im going to read some more about it but after reading your report i dont think ill be trying it

^^Likewise. Isn't it meant to cause a yellowing of the vision? Anyway, yeah I've had very modest effects of this, possibly because I didn't use fresh herb. Nice report Xorkoth, sounds like a shitty time though :(

I took sin. and had the exact same experience. It is a scam drug that is suppose to "open up the sun". It feels like it almost kills you. It was the worst experience of my life.

I think it might contain cholinesterase inhibitors, of some kind, symptoms sound similar.

I have some alkaloidal extract of this plant, but I had a similar experience from the whole plant tea, not something I want to repeat.

Did you notice any salivation or constriction of the pupils?

If I'm right about this stuff, makes me wonder if it couldn'tbe used in a refined form, as a nootropic in a similar vein to things like galantamine and huperzine-A.

Yes I had constriction of the pupils for sure. It was like the worse case of the flu, mixed with OC withdrawl, times 10. I personally think all of the positive reports on this plant on erowid are false, or fabricated. I know 3 other people personally who had the exact same reaction with it. Me being stupid, I thought I would be the exception and would have the "sun open up". Yeah right.

Interesting.

Did you ferment the tea, or just brew it from fresh/dry plant matter.

I had much the same happen to me, using unfermented plant material, it would be worth looking at the reports, and see if reports of myalgia correlate to those using unfermented material, as fermentation is always done with traditional use of this plant.

No......maybe that's why it poisons people. i guess I should have read about how you are supposed to ferment it. silly me.

Yeah, I didn't ferment it in the experience this report is about, either. I think the fermentation probably changes or removed some compound(s) which cause the terrible pain. I, however, am not going to try it. Nothing is worth feeling that horrible, horrible effect again.

I second that xorkoth. Even if someone promised that it felt like 300mg's oxy mixed with the peak of a good wig, I would never take that chance again.

I tried it many times but it was always in a mushroom trip or something to make weed and other drugs last longer. You get any auditory hearing sounds effects or yellow vision. an extract maybe or different intake

Almost every trip report I've read about this mentions severe pain/breathing problems and little or no euphoria. Definitely NOT on my psychoactive "bucket list"! :D

Reactions: CFC
I had a friend in california who wanted me to try this with him. you were suppose to let the leaves soak in water for like 7 hours in the sun and then take it outside while you looked at the sky or something.

Reactions: CFC
I take it you didn't try it? You are, traditionally, supposed to let it soak for some time in the sun, and native people would use it, so I assume that either the reaction from the UV light, and/or the hot soak causing fermentation, does something to it chemically that makes it worthwhile and avoids the muscle pain. If I would have eaten leaves of that plant randomly and not known what it was, I would have assumed I was poisoned and might be dying, it was really alarming and terrible. I can't imagine anyone doing it that way more than once.

I'd really like to see a chemical analysis of raw leaf, tea of foliage, and tea from foliage that's been exposed to sunlight for a significant amount of time. Just about every report I read involving preparation of tea without sunlight sounds much like this one, but the ones that follow close to the traditional preparation are generally much more positive. It would be nice to know if theres some actual chemical processes occurring from the sunlight (lsd+UV exposure->lumi-lsd comes to mind). It could also be completely anecdotal or a matter of personal physiology, diet, or any other number of variables causing such wild differences in effect between one person and another.

I seem to remember that the people who smoke it also seem to have a much lower occurrence of the debilitating muscle pain, but also milder effects.

This plant piqued my curiosity over almost 2 decades ago, and I still dont understand what were missing. The successful attempts sound very appealing, but the negative ones, like this, have kept me from giving it a try until the unknown variable is found and reliable effects can be regularly reproduced.

It could be a matter of personal physiology, but given the traditional guidelines of usage involving sun fermentation, plus the strong correlation with method of usage and reported side effects in the reports, I would bet money on there being a chemical reaction reason for the difference. I'm curious about the positive effects, too, but no way am I going to experiment again.

I will say I smoked it maybe twice, and found very subtle effects, but they did not include the muscle pain. I smoked it first, before trying it in a tea.