• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzo withdrawls

They can cause epilepsy that will make your shaking-ass wish you were dead (at any amount of xanax...) or prolonged benzo use...

burntserkits said:
They can cause epilepsy that will make your shaking-ass wish you were dead (at any amount of xanax...) or prolonged benzo use...

will the epilepsy go away?

burntserkits said:
Why dont U tell the guy to slow down or cut back doses...not hes gonna die . Jeez.8( But yes ,if you are on a daily high dose of Benzos then just stop cold turkey,........you will have probs.
no doubt

Probably, but you are better off switching from a short-acting benzo like alprazolam to a longer-acting one like diazepam, which comes in doses as low as 2 mg. and can be gradually taken off....

In 1981 I went into my first detox for Methadone and thought nothing of the fact that I was doing close to 100mg of Valium a day. Felt fine the first two weeks, then all of a sudden I felt like I was losing my mind (people could read my thoughts, feeling like my brain was on vibrate mode.) it got so bad I went to the nurses desk and wanted an off ward to get out of the hospital. I remember going to the desk and asking her to unlock the door. While I was talking I started stuttering and my body just started jerking and violently flailing on it's own. That's all I remember, until I woke up with my arms and feet in restraints and a nurse coming at me with a hypo saying "you know what this is for don't you". I sheepishly nodded as I honestly thought I lost my mind and it was never coming back. Turns out I went into a condition called status epilepticus, where you have one grand mal after another and you can die very quickly if it is not stopped. It happened to me one other time when Xanax first came out, as doctors were told by the company that they were safer than valium. I was only taking 2mg a day and quit was at work and it was only 8 hours since my last dose and boom I was on the floor. I was pretty lucky as I was a prep chef and was cleaning shrimp with a large razor sharp knife, it flew out of the way as I smacked my head off the concrete floor. The ambulance driver asked me my name, where I lived, etc.,but I had no idea, my mind was blank. By the time we reached the ER, I had some memory back. I was honest with the doc and he wrote me a Rx for 100 Xanax 1mg, and said keep taking these and that won't happen anymore. Hard to believe, but true!!

When I went to detox to get of hydro and Xanax it took 4 months, due to the Xanax. A medically safe Xanax detox is to reduce the dose .25mg every 5 days, so if you are eating 10 -15mg a day, you are in shark infested waters.

I only share this as I see soooo many people, especially at meth clinics, eating "bars" and footballs" like Tic Tacs. One day the devil will take his due and this 50 year old man who has done every drug out there, to excess, can tell you NOTHING scares me more than benzos.

Good luck and God bless anyone trying to get off them. Please seek medical help, the withdrawal can and has killed people. A seizure at 50 mph while driving may cost some little kid his life and yours sitting in a jail cell, ain't worth it for a buzz.

When I first was prescribed alprazolam, I must have used it up three days too quickly and the pharmacy or doctor wouldn't refill it.

The first day, I just felt really tense yet bored at the same time.

The second day, I had no appetite, it felt like I was walking really slowly and the ground was moving under my feet. My abdominals and certain muscles would clench and involuntarily contract. I couldn't sleep.

Third day, I was out in the forest with my friends and I couldn't stop talking. I was freaking out about the stupidest things. I had to pick up my girlfriend at the airport in like 5 hours, and my friends and I were smoking in this distant forest far south of us. It felt like we were hiking to get to this spot forever. Even after many bowls of the absolute best stuff, I was still anxious.

Back on the xanax again for a year, switched to clonazepam for 6 months, and am now back on xanax 2mg/day. I really am careful I don't run out. I can definitely see convultions w/ the cold turkey method, so I am going to use valium whenever (?) I want to stop benzo's.

drunken_etard said:
yeah thats insane dude

Yes it is. I had the shrink doing my xanax detox back in the late 80's telling me to get comfortable as I would be in the hospital a LONG time and if I tried to sign out he would have me committed to a State institution because when I did drugs I was a danger to my self. I guess in medical terminology it would be "Junkiess Excessess". As I look back now with a clear head, it is a true miracle that I am still alive. If you ever saw "Drugstore Cowboy" , that combine with the Lenny Bruce story (without the fame!) was the story of my life. I have been sober since 1989, and work in the Drug and Alcohol field. It is said how the young people have no concept of what these "drugstore drugs" can do to you. And people that think heroin is OK cause "I don't shoot it, I just smoke or snort". As someone said on these pages and in the meeting rooms, it all ends up at the same crossroads, Jail, Institutions, or Death".

In my case and any true addict, one is too many and one million is not enough!

Peace and good luck to all in your endeavors. I still have my cravings, but not just for a bag, I had to get a brick (10 bundles) of smack to smoke or snort, I don't have a vein in my body. Funny thing is what I have to lose by picking up. I have a 6 figure job, a large home on 3 acres of country land, lots of big boy toys, but I hear about the good dope around and I want to try it just that once.

Oh well, back to work. Proceed with caution if in benzo land!!!

Yes it Can I know somone who has to take quite a few bars a day everyday. Before they took xanax they were strung out on valium. They said that tapering just doesn't work. They've tryed stopping before and just started having crazy seizures.

I think you can die from benzo withdrawal, but it is very rare.

If you're on a high dose, or if you've been on it for a long time, you will get an epileptic seizure or delirium tremens.

(the 1st time I got addicted to Valium I went from 20mg/day to 200mg/day in a few months, I stopped cold turkey. I was feeling normal, no major withdrawal symptoms, and suddenly, while I was speaking to friends, I had some kind of epileptic seizure, had to be rushed to the hospital, I was completely delirious.)

jasoncrest said:
I think you can die from benzo withdrawal, but it is very rare.

If you're on a high dose, or if you've been on it for a long time, you will get an epileptic seizure or delirium tremens.

(the 1st time I got addicted to Valium I went from 20mg/day to 200mg/day in a few months, I stopped cold turkey. I was feeling normal, no major withdrawal symptoms, and suddenly, while I was speaking to friends, I had some kind of epileptic seizure, had to be rushed to the hospital, I was completely delirious.)

Yeah it just comes out of nowhere. Benzos definently can take you out of touch with reality. They are definently deadly. Some people can die from seizures.

Who would "some people" be described as? I'm taking it as either somebody with malnutrition or the elderly, if not a huge benzo abuser who combines it w/ other CNS depressants. Or, if you chugged a bottle attempting suicide or something.

hope you dont mind me posting my question in here...

is 25mg a day for a week going to build up any tolerance/addiction? i find its really nice to stick 25mg under my tongue and chill out after a hard day

Yes, withdrawal from a high-dose benzo habit (particularly if the benzo is high-potency as well) can kill you.

Probably more common in someone who was using alcohol or something on top of it and quit both, but I bet it's not exactly rare in benzo-only cases... benzo withdrawal can cause other problems besides seizures (like unstable heart rate and blood pressure), and the wrong combination of symptoms at the wrong time could probably kill someone.

Last edited:
Erowid said:
In 1981 I went into my first detox for Methadone and thought nothing of the fact that I was doing close to 100mg of Valium a day. Felt fine the first two weeks, then all of a sudden I felt like I was losing my mind (people could read my thoughts, feeling like my brain was on vibrate mode.) it got so bad I went to the nurses desk and wanted an off ward to get out of the hospital. I remember going to the desk and asking her to unlock the door. While I was talking I started stuttering and my body just started jerking and violently flailing on it's own. That's all I remember, until I woke up with my arms and feet in restraints and a nurse coming at me with a hypo saying "you know what this is for don't you". I sheepishly nodded as I honestly thought I lost my mind and it was never coming back. Turns out I went into a condition called status epilepticus, where you have one grand mal after another and you can die very quickly if it is not stopped. It happened to me one other time when Xanax first came out, as doctors were told by the company that they were safer than valium. I was only taking 2mg a day and quit was at work and it was only 8 hours since my last dose and boom I was on the floor. I was pretty lucky as I was a prep chef and was cleaning shrimp with a large razor sharp knife, it flew out of the way as I smacked my head off the concrete floor. The ambulance driver asked me my name, where I lived, etc.,but I had no idea, my mind was blank. By the time we reached the ER, I had some memory back. I was honest with the doc and he wrote me a Rx for 100 Xanax 1mg, and said keep taking these and that won't happen anymore. Hard to believe, but true!!

When I went to detox to get of hydro and Xanax it took 4 months, due to the Xanax. A medically safe Xanax detox is to reduce the dose .25mg every 5 days, so if you are eating 10 -15mg a day, you are in shark infested waters.

I only share this as I see soooo many people, especially at meth clinics, eating "bars" and footballs" like Tic Tacs. One day the devil will take his due and this 50 year old man who has done every drug out there, to excess, can tell you NOTHING scares me more than benzos.

Good luck and God bless anyone trying to get off them. Please seek medical help, the withdrawal can and has killed people. A seizure at 50 mph while driving may cost some little kid his life and yours sitting in a jail cell, ain't worth it for a buzz.

Holy freaking crap! I'm 42 years old and am a heavy cocaine addict as well as the 'tried every drug out there in excess" user as well. I always have a heavy stash of 10 mg. valiums around for when I do dirty (speedy, uncleaned coke). Anyway, on any given binge, I could easily take 80 mg.s of valium and not even think twice. At a minimum, 40-50 mg.s. You've just changed my life forever, my dear friend! ^^^^This guys experience right here is what makes this a terrific harm reduction site! I never had any idea that benzo's were even capable of doing this to anyone. I just figured that the damage would be immediate (if that was even possible) and that if I made it thru the night, everything was back to normal.

Now, I do coke quite a bit, and benzo's are simply part of the ritual. You've really got me freaked the fuck out right now. For example, I'm doing some dirty cola right now because I didn't have time to clean it and I've already consumed 20 mg.s of valium. I'm puttin' the coke down and the valiums away right now! I usually don't do dirty coke anymore, and therefore have no need for the valiums, but when I do, I do them in excess. For example, if I'd have not just read this, I most likely would have consumed another 2-4 valiums before the night was over, making it 60 mg.s total! Man, this is unreal..............

I'm so sorry for your experience that you indured, but you may have just saved someone else from going thru that same hell, or at least made aware to someone in this position that his results might possibly not end with as good a result as yours did. I just can't believe I never knew this, or was never made aware of it. I guess I can only hope for the best now. But I can't thank you enough for making me aware of this and changing my life forever. Out of my entire tenure here on Bluelight, this is by far THE most valuable piece of knowledge I've ever learned, and also the scariest. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you so much for sharing your experience. I don't know you personally, nor do I believe we've ever crossed threads, but your timing was impeccable. Wish me luck, will ya'. And God bless, my new friend. :)

Le Junk :)

Last edited:
Erowid said:
Wouldn't that only be true if anticonvulsants weren't used for some reason? Had a large Xanax habit in the late 80s, and detoxed pretty quick in-patient with hefty doses of Tegretol.

Le Junk said:
Now, I do coke quite a bit, and benzo's are simply part of the ritual. You've really got me freaked the fuck out right now.
You oughtta get off the benzos and get onto Lyrica (pregabalin) or Neurontin (gabapentin). The first being the better choice, IMO.

IMO, Lyrica is seriously BETTER THAN benzos in terms of mellowing unwanted aspects of a stimulant high. In fact doing too many will basically bring you down off the high completely to baseline normal, possibly even lower. Not sure about Neurontin, but it works very similarly and the major difference is that higher doses are needed (horse tablets).

Above mentioned drugs still should be tapered if used regularly, but I don't think they have any significant withdrawal syndrome.

ok i originally had 51mg of xanax now4 days later i have 4 1mg left. Should i just take 1 in the morning and evening for the 2 days and helps that lesses the withdrawl effects? Although im bipolar type 2 and take a medication called lamictal which is actually and antiepilepsy drug it lowers glutamate to prohibit manic episodes works like a charm for that but not for depression. This this is the whole reson i take benzos to deal with depression, So do you think i should be alright?