• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzo withdrawls

I used to have a pretty ugly benzo habit and when I kicked cold turkey it was really fucking close to how you feel after a week long tweak binge. Its really not cool for about a month after, at the time I really didnt care how bad it was I wanted off as fast as possible. In retrospect I really dont reccomend it.

MDPVagrant said:
Wouldn't that only be true if anticonvulsants weren't used for some reason? Had a large Xanax habit in the late 80s, and detoxed pretty quick in-patient with hefty doses of Tegretol.

I know this is a bit old thread, but I want to slip in a comment here since it came up today. The cabazepine type (oxcabazepine/cabazepine) isin't just anticonvulsant. It can obliterate WD cravings, and enable you to detox very quickly with minimal discomfort. Also, it can be a powerfull analgesic (non opioid), and a few rare individuals say its the best high they have ever had. I've also heard this once about Dilantin. In all cases, the people reporting recreational value were extreme odd, nut job cases. Not the zombie type, but rather, excentric & intelligent. For what its worth_

oxyboy said:
will the epilepsy go away?

Benzo addiction/withdrawl will not give you epilepsy!

It can cause seizures that are the same as some epileptics experience but it wont give you epilepsy.

Not benzo related, I had a grand mal seizure:
I was lying on my bed watching House MD on my laptop.
I was on 500mg Tramadol and 160mg Codeine, all taken in a lapse of 2 hours (not enough time to metabolize nicely).
Suddenly, I woke up as if I have slept. At first I couldnt wake up really, and took a time to understand *anything* (my name, where I was, what was I doing, etc.), my mind was just starting to "work" again, or something like that; Half an hour later I could wake up from the bed. I had lost ALL notion of the time, it was very strange. Also my right arm was hurting a lot, same as my tongue.
The next day I realised I dislocated my right arm and bitted my tongue.
I was lucky and the doctors could place my arm in place "by force", so I didnt need any operation.
My tongue healed by itself in 2 weeks with no traces of any bitting at all.

Some months later I had another seizure, again, I mixed Codeine and Tramadol. But this time I only bitted my tongue, none part of my body was hurted. I realised what happened when I woke up on bed and saw spots of blood on the wall.

Basically, grand mal seizures are not SO dangerous, if you have one or two in your life time its no big deal. But, if you have continous grand mal seizures... see you in heaven or hell.

BTW, after those seizures I took up to a 2 grams of Tramadol without any problem. Mixing it with Codeine was the trigger. Dont know why.

Erowid said:
In 1981 I went into my first detox for Methadone and thought nothing of the fact that I was doing close to 100mg of Valium a day. Felt fine the first two weeks, then all of a sudden I felt like I was losing my mind (people could read my thoughts, feeling like my brain was on vibrate mode.) it got so bad I went to the nurses desk and wanted an off ward to get out of the hospital. I remember going to the desk and asking her to unlock the door. While I was talking I started stuttering and my body just started jerking and violently flailing on it's own. That's all I remember, until I woke up with my arms and feet in restraints and a nurse coming at me with a hypo saying "you know what this is for don't you". I sheepishly nodded as I honestly thought I lost my mind and it was never coming back. Turns out I went into a condition called status epilepticus, where you have one grand mal after another and you can die very quickly if it is not stopped. It happened to me one other time when Xanax first came out, as doctors were told by the company that they were safer than valium. I was only taking 2mg a day and quit was at work and it was only 8 hours since my last dose and boom I was on the floor. I was pretty lucky as I was a prep chef and was cleaning shrimp with a large razor sharp knife, it flew out of the way as I smacked my head off the concrete floor. The ambulance driver asked me my name, where I lived, etc.,but I had no idea, my mind was blank. By the time we reached the ER, I had some memory back. I was honest with the doc and he wrote me a Rx for 100 Xanax 1mg, and said keep taking these and that won't happen anymore. Hard to believe, but true!!

When I went to detox to get of hydro and Xanax it took 4 months, due to the Xanax. A medically safe Xanax detox is to reduce the dose .25mg every 5 days, so if you are eating 10 -15mg a day, you are in shark infested waters.

I only share this as I see soooo many people, especially at meth clinics, eating "bars" and footballs" like Tic Tacs. One day the devil will take his due and this 50 year old man who has done every drug out there, to excess, can tell you NOTHING scares me more than benzos.

Good luck and God bless anyone trying to get off them. Please seek medical help, the withdrawal can and has killed people. A seizure at 50 mph while driving may cost some little kid his life and yours sitting in a jail cell, ain't worth it for a buzz.

how could you be in withdrawal only 8 hours after your last dose? although i don't deny your story, that just seems a bit odd and atypical to me. i mean how often were you taking the xanax if you were only on 2 mg a day? i used to take 2- 6 mg every night and so id always go 24 hours between doses and withdrawal never developed that fast. even when i went 48+ hours, i still didn't have any seizures or anything major but your post has definitely made me realize the danger, so i'd better be sure not to forget to take xanax (ive forgotten to take it a couple of times and inadvertently went long periods without it).

i was taking xanax 2mgx4 daily for 4 years,and stopped over a period of 3 weeks,under a doctors care,and in the hospital(for 2 of the three weeks). i STILL had 2 seizures,as well as buzzing/stinging sesations all over my body,nightsweats,insomnia,disphoria,loss of appetite,terrible terrible anxiety,depression,restless limb syndrome,migranes,diahrreah,you name it....i was told the withdrawl symptoms could last for up to 4 months,but i swear lingering effects of WD are still here ,even 8 months later.....for gods sake, if you find yourself enjoying benzos to the point that you woyuld take them everyday,BACK THE FUCK OFF....THE LOSS IS NOT WORTH THE GAIN.I WANTED TO DIE FOR 4 MONTHS ,AND CRASHED MY NEW CAR INTO A BRICK WALL AT 70MPH IN A SUICIDE ATTEMPT WICH LANDED ME IN A 21 DAY STINT AT THE NUTHOUSE..IF THE DEPRESSION/ANXIETY DOESNT KILL YOU,COLD TURKEY WITHRAWLS CAN!!!In comparison, i was addicted to methadone 120mg/day for 2 years, and the withdrawl from methadone didnt even TOUCH the severity/unpleasentness of the xanax withdrawl.methadone withdrawl was like the flu, xanax withdrawl was the epidimy of HELL ON EARTH.
never let a doc convince you that something is completely safe.my doc never told me once during 4 years of prescribing the stuff that it could cause such misery and dependance,and from what i hear ,docs in general dont even give you a decent warning about benzos,and they love to dish them out,at least most of them.GOD BLESS MAN,IF YOUR GOING TO DETOX I HOPE YOU HAVE A STRONGER MIND THAN I DO.TAKE IT SLOOOOW.
-Peace N Love-
-Rye

great post, at 33yo I have many war storys also but none on par with this here. Sad this is... As horrified as this is, IT will not scare people away from using benzos!!!!

I love xanax but truly scared of the withdraw. I have had a few shaky
seizure like experiences.

Have to admit I still pop xanax once in a while. during fight night,a trip to the beach etc. once a month or even less.

How are you doing nowadays????

stay up bro!

In 1981 I went into my first detox for Methadone and thought nothing of the fact that I was doing close to 100mg of Valium a day. Felt fine the first two weeks, then all of a sudden I felt like I was losing my mind (people could read my thoughts, feeling like my brain was on vibrate mode.) it got so bad I went to the nurses desk and wanted an off ward to get out of the hospital. I remember going to the desk and asking her to unlock the door. While I was talking I started stuttering and my body just started jerking and violently flailing on it's own. That's all I remember, until I woke up with my arms and feet in restraints and a nurse coming at me with a hypo saying "you know what this is for don't you". I sheepishly nodded as I honestly thought I lost my mind and it was never coming back. Turns out I went into a condition called status epilepticus, where you have one grand mal after another and you can die very quickly if it is not stopped. It happened to me one other time when Xanax first came out, as doctors were told by the company that they were safer than valium. I was only taking 2mg a day and quit was at work and it was only 8 hours since my last dose and boom I was on the floor. I was pretty lucky as I was a prep chef and was cleaning shrimp with a large razor sharp knife, it flew out of the way as I smacked my head off the concrete floor. The ambulance driver asked me my name, where I lived, etc.,but I had no idea, my mind was blank. By the time we reached the ER, I had some memory back. I was honest with the doc and he wrote me a Rx for 100 Xanax 1mg, and said keep taking these and that won't happen anymore. Hard to believe, but true!!

When I went to detox to get of hydro and Xanax it took 4 months, due to the Xanax. A medically safe Xanax detox is to reduce the dose .25mg every 5 days, so if you are eating 10 -15mg a day, you are in shark infested waters.

I only share this as I see soooo many people, especially at meth clinics, eating "bars" and footballs" like Tic Tacs. One day the devil will take his due and this 50 year old man who has done every drug out there, to excess, can tell you NOTHING scares me more than benzos.

Good luck and God bless anyone trying to get off them. Please seek medical help, the withdrawal can and has killed people. A seizure at 50 mph while driving may cost some little kid his life and yours sitting in a jail cell, ain't worth it for a buzz.

Wow I have been taking a very low dose 2mg of clonazepam for almost three years. 1 year ago exactly I had to go off due to losing my insurance. I continued to take my usual 2mg dose until the last one was gone. The next day I got a couple of 1mg pills spaced them out. At one point I even toke a .5 (half) mg of klonopin and haden't taken any in days. I then went weeks before getting a refill. Do you guys think that since I was on such a low dose that maybe thats why the effects of withdrawl were sort of benighn for me? I was sorta uncomfortable at times. I really wanted my klonopin and I had some difficulty sleeping. Not as much as others have described though. I was scared shitless at first cause of all the stories you hear. I am quite afraid to go off them again. Has anyone here had a not so terrible benzo withdrawl?

hope you dont mind me posting my question in here...

is 25mg a day for a week going to build up any tolerance/addiction? i find its really nice to stick 25mg under my tongue and chill out after a hard day
Tolerance problobly

Physical addiction NO...you said for a week? One week right? Even a low dose(fairly) of diazepam or valium can cause dependance if taken over a period of time. But if your on it for 1 week no.

Wouldn't that only be true if anticonvulsants weren't used for some reason? Had a large Xanax habit in the late 80s, and detoxed pretty quick in-patient with hefty doses of Tegretol.

Did you ever go back as I have often wondered if I can still take them as needed like I used to. I know take 2mg daily. Wondering if anyone has made it through withdrawls and come back just on a as needed basis. My doc and I agree being on benzos isnt the worst thing in the world (as long as you dont run out)