GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official No Limit Texas Hold 'Em thread

The pushbot chart works well w/this thing:
Thanks for registering for the QMCalculator tool. It's quite basic
and simple to use and because you input the data yourself, it can
work on any website. If you need more help there are some free
videos at MZoneReport.com which may make it easier to understand
the implications of Q and M in tournaments.

Download the file here:

http://clicks.aweber.com/z/ct/?EJCLapJ5qs02aCJAGnLqSQ
I'd be happy to send the charts to anyone interested, I just need your email or a suggestion on a place to put it where y'all can just download it yourselves. I'm pretty sure my email thing is activated, so if you use that, I'll just reply w/it attached.

This being BL and all, I thought I'd post this friendly PSA -
Don't play Pot-Limit Omaha while under the influence of Phenethylamines. :) :( 8o

Its official.

I hate pokerstars.

They can suck my balls.

Well not the organisation itself, but the useless useless people who continue to chase backdoor straights and flushes, which ALWAYS come over the top of my top pair, aces up, kings up, WHATEVER, when they really should lay down if not pre-flop, then definitely after my large raise on the flop.

The amount of bad beats are simply astonishing... every big pot where I am way ahead, they hit the required card on the river, and I'm crippled.

It shits me to tears.

people chasing backdoor straights are the life blood of poker money

Chaos Butterfly said:
Its official.

I hate pokerstars.

They can suck my balls.

Well not the organisation itself, but the useless useless people who continue to chase backdoor straights and flushes, which ALWAYS come over the top of my top pair, aces up, kings up, WHATEVER, when they really should lay down if not pre-flop, then definitely after my large raise on the flop.

The amount of bad beats are simply astonishing... every big pot where I am way ahead, they hit the required card on the river, and I'm crippled.

It shits me to tears.
i've spent a fair bit of time playing on pokerstars, ultimatebet and now fulltilt and i can tell you that i see the same shitty play (rewarded) over and over again on all three sites :)

alasdair

thats why i quit playing on pokerstars. but IRL ive been having bad luck too. i can seem to win second, but not first.

Mehm said:
people chasing backdoor straights are the life blood of poker money

I know. Usually you want them to chase, because using usual statistics and odds, they won't hit, and you are up for a big pay day, but it seems that on pokerstars, they hit well over 50% of the time.

It gets to the point that you feel that you should be chasing, because it's coming off for everyone else, but I just can't do it... I don't feel like I should start playing bad poker... although it seems to be the only way at low buy-in tables to get ahead.

Gah.

For those who aren't boycotting Poker Stars b/c it's rigged ;) ...

Double FPP's for Leap Day! Git U Sum!

Chaos Butterfly said:
I know. Usually you want them to chase, because using usual statistics and odds, they won't hit, and you are up for a big pay day, but it seems that on pokerstars, they hit well over 50% of the time.

It gets to the point that you feel that you should be chasing, because it's coming off for everyone else, but I just can't do it... I don't feel like I should start playing bad poker... although it seems to be the only way at low buy-in tables to get ahead.

Gah.

a lot of people say this, but when you look at big 1,000,000+ hand analysis from these sites, it shows that hand results are completely random. many people attribute this phenomenon to the fact that one sees so many hands, and the large amounts of variants are remembered as being normal. Also, keep in mind that your aren't seeing the hands where people chase then muck or fold. On that note, i'm getting forsaking stars with my next buy in......just giving a little back ya know 8)

how much longer can I keep losing money with the best hand? what are ya'lls worst card streaks?

Mehm said:
On that note, i'm getting forsaking stars with my next buy in......just giving a little back ya know 8)
what are forsaking stars?

alasdair

^^they are a rare form of dark magic only found in the second realm of instingala

Mehm said:
how much longer can I keep losing money with the best hand? what are ya'lls worst card streaks?

I recently lost with pocket aces about five times in a row. But several of them were kinda my fault.

Hang in there, it evens out, honest :)

Pocket aces annoy me.

I feel like I should be making more money when I have them, but I usually end up betting a bit bigger than I should on the flop (if it looks like people could draw out on you) in order to make people lay down so that they can't draw out on me - although there are always useless people who will chase EVERYTHING. Recent bad beats have made me a little more cautious and I don't slow play anything unless it is the nuts or close to the nuts.

CB.

i've decided there are two strategies with aces: push very hard pre-flop and take your chances with a suck out knowing they're part of the game.

alternately, push reasonably hard pre-flop to thin the field and, if the flop doesn't look like too much of a mine-field, push real hard.

alternately, alternately, play them slow in full knowledge it will be a monster if it pays off (assuming you get action) but that at least half of the time, the board will make your pocket rockets look like pocket squibs :)

*usual disclaimers about chip stacks, position, etc. apply

alasdair

My general style to play aces is to push hard; if someone wants to try to catch on you with an inferior pre-flop hand, then so be it. That's poker. The only time I tend to slow down with aces is if I improve on the flop. I would rather make 10 bucks with aces than lose 80.

It's my understanding that a flush has a pretty decent probability of hitting on the river card if you only need one card, and that if you suspect that this is in fact the case with your opponent, then it's time to fold even highest pair on overly aggressive raises. Straights are a different story, I think (I'm really new to this game), but if what you and alasdair said about pokerstars and fulltilt are true then that is a steaming pile of bullshit. If straights are always hitting then that is pure garbage and it makes me wary to visit either of these sites ever again.

captainballs said:
It's my understanding that a flush has a pretty decent probability of hitting on the river card if you only need one card, and that if you suspect that this is in fact the case with your opponent, then it's time to fold even highest pair on overly aggressive raises. Straights are a different story, I think (I'm really new to this game), but if what you and alasdair said about pokerstars and fulltilt are true then that is a steaming pile of bullshit. If straights are always hitting then that is pure garbage and it makes me wary to visit either of these sites ever again.
A flush has a 25% chance of hitting on the river. No more, possibly a little less (depends on what cards are out - but since you never can never know, use that as guideline). You don't fold b/c you think your opponent's flush might hit on the river; you give him incorrect odds to try and hit it and you "don't justify his optimistic call" (to quote Sklansky/Miller) by paying off when they do.

And over a large sample size straights aren't hitting any more than they are statistically supposed to.

The object of poker is to allow your opponent to make mistakes. If you bet enough to make chasing some river miracle incorrect and he does anyway - you've already won. They're gonna hit sometimes. Just don't lose all your money when they do. In the end you come out ahead.

It's not a one-hand game. It's not even a one-session game. A month of solid grinding begins to give you a small picture, but it's still not enough to judge success by. Possibly a propensity for the game and a glimpse at some leaks, but it takes a LONG time to really get the whole story.

Sounds like solid advice. I began a couple weeks ago under the simple advice to "play tight" as a beginner and managed to come out ahead in a few sessions. But my mistake is that most of my big jumps came from irrational plays. It's such a time consuming game imo. I could play for 12 hours at a time without even thinking about it, but when that impatience hits the money starts to disappear quickly. I'm taking an indefinite break to analyze the advice in this thread as well as the advice from poker sites. It's just too frustrating when you're trapped in a matrix of bad decisions.