NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

tripmonkey505

Bluelighter
Come on now haven't found any on here and who deserves it more? 30 years of the greatest music. Jerrys the man hahahhah

well since jerry died in '95 and they started touring in '65 i think i might be pretty close....

I've seen 4 shows. Toronto, Buffalo, Albany, and NYNY. I could've seen more but y'know...the miracles were becoming harder to find and I was able to find a ride going from nyny to T.O. after the first night show...so I went with it.
I had an amazing trip one night in Toronto, at the kingswood music hall, Where I got
backstage passes to see the Dead and Opening act the Band, Because I was going to college with Pete Danko; Rick Danko's Brother from the Band, and I was able to see and say Hi to Jerry, and say that He and I shared a moment in Buffalo. I was under a lit entrance, and everything else around me was pitch black. Then he had a spot-light on him and it was like he was singing just to me. It was a Beatles song, I don't know which one, but he looked at me and shook my hand and said,"oh yeah.I remember that. Was that you? Cool." And we held hands for along time and then he left. They were onstage moments later, as The Band Staggered off, Rick hardly knowing where he was. I was just floating...probably until he died.
My wife and I have maybe hundreds of taped shows that she recorded while she followed them around as well.
They let me open my mind and ears to all possiblities.
The Dead of today, if I can even say that, but because of their jams, grooviness, funk, Higher Enlightenment, and the philosopy of caring, sharing and daring, make the band, TOOL, the ones to raise that freak flag even higher.
Peace, man...Peace, everyone.

American Beauty is a classic record if there ever was one.

Here here to all that was said above.

No matter how jaded I get, I'll always love The Grateful Dead.

grateful_dead230582_8-02.jpg

Finder said:
American Beauty is a classic record if there ever was one.

Its the one album that I can still listen to over and over again. How can one album pack so many incredible songs into it?

and yet still have an absolute clunker like till the morning comes on it. i love it though, my favorite of their studio albums.

(and i actually like most of them)

There are very few bands that can just change my mood from listening to their songs and the Grateful Dead is way up top.

I wish I did - but after 40 or so years, they still bore the pants off me :( - whatever it is that turns folk into Dead-heads just passes me by :\

btw david lemeuix has a blog here where he posts interesting and sometimes uncirculated nuggets from the past.

American Beauty is indeed a classic record. I've loved them since I was young and the sensitivity of their lyrics had a lot to do with it.

what can you say to someone who doesnt like them? my friend's girlfriend told me yesterday that she didnt think they were good songwriters. all i could tell her was that they were and list a few songs.