NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

Might see them this summer, missed fall shows. Ohhhhhh how I long for the days of my youth touring, such great memories. I wonder what it?s like there now. Probablya bunch of kids who have never seen the Grateful Dead but does that even matter, the music never stops!

Hey knife and CS!

What’s up, mang! I saw dead and co last summer and was very impressed. Will definitely do it again this summer.

Haven’t seen knife around in a while but I’m assuming she’s getting her YEMSG on. Shows have been solid. Tonight will be boss as fuck. I’ll likely be in bed before midnight.

Did you all see the Grateful Dead chacos? Pretty rad, but too much $$$

slider-image-d-dancing.png

Been to a lot of shows in late 70s and 80s. Listen to them occasionally now but just early stuff. I think the music went down hill by the early 80s. Early 70s was magic. Garcia and Hunter were a great combo. Have Dicks Pics albums and play early live shows... Used to listen to dead channel and could tell right away the year of pretty much any concert they played...

Damn Sam, would love to hear some of your stories. Agree that early 70’s were the best. Hell, the band was so tight when Mickey wasn’t in the band. 72 is probably my favorite year, followed by 74 and then 77. But there was some fucking magic in the 80’s and even the 90’s. Big fan of 87, 89 and 91. To me, it all has its place. Greatest band ever. But when I’m really looking to go deep, I go early 70’s.

If you ever feel like giving us some stories of crazy shit on tour, I’m sure we’d all love to hear them. I know I would.

I saw the dead once. In 95. I was 16. Amazing time. Thought it was the greatest shit I’d ever seen. Looking back, it was a god damn abortion of a show. But it was a catalyst into a great journey that I still live today.

Oh, and dig your screen name btw. I believe it’s in reference to a John Prine tune? He is one of the greatest ever. His health is unfortunately very poor right now.

Hey chicken scratch ,

You r right about the screen name. I never shot up but can relate to the person in the song.

I have a lot of crazy stories from my youth but the dead show stuff was always meallow. Dead Heads r cool folks.

Me and and a couple of friends were driving around back in NYC were I grew up and they anounced the Dead playing at Radio City Music Hall. So we drove straight there and bought tickets. Got center stage maybe 20 rows back. All acoustics sets...pretty amazing.
Saw them a lot in 80s in big places like Nassau Coliseum...but so far back you couldnt see the stage usually... but some good acid and fun times....

Did a slightly sub hole dose of ketamine the other night and for some reason, the album Terrapin Station came to mind. But all I could think of was 'ketamine station'...

Hey chicken scratch ,

You r right about the screen name. I never shot up but can relate to the person in the song.

I have a lot of crazy stories from my youth but the dead show stuff was always meallow. Dead Heads r cool folks.

Me and and a couple of friends were driving around back in NYC were I grew up and they anounced the Dead playing at Radio City Music Hall. So we drove straight there and bought tickets. Got center stage maybe 20 rows back. All acoustics sets...pretty amazing.
Saw them a lot in 80s in big places like Nassau Coliseum...but so far back you couldnt see the stage usually... but some good acid and fun times....

Those 80’s shows were in September and November and I believe they would do one acoustic set and two electric sets. They mixed the acoustic sets for the album reckoning and the live sets for the album dead set. That’s awesome you got to see those.

FUBAR - I was visiting my best friend last weekend and he happened to have some DMT. We got after it to a 72 dark star. I had not done DMT in years. God dammit that was fun and it was a perfect soundtrack.

What happened to bagochina? Is he dead? He’s heckled people for 17 straight years 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and he’s absent. ? I’m crying inside.
Anyway bago, wherever you are, tour is strange nowadays. But as much as I’ll bitch about the young bucks and their designer drugs they order off the interwebz, it’s much more fun to eat a 10strip and make fun of them for being stupid and not knowing shit about shit. I had an 18 year old try to school me on needlepoint and I swear dude, my IQ dropped. Anyway, I wubby you. I’ll swing by and scoop you up on my way to Dicks. K? K. love you bye.

Sam stone is the song that got me into John prine.

Hi scratch. Love you too.
Phil @ ? ??

I saw DSO in Atlantic City tonight.
They did their own set list so you knew they were gonna bring out all the stops for
❤️Jerry❤️ tonight
But basically ending it with Mission in the rain?
(First show I saw in my hometown since being back. (A whole week ? nothing will ever top that. There will never be anything better than that. Ever.

Had it not been for hunter, the dead would not have grown into the global treasure that they are.

I’ll leave this right here. Two souls gone, one way too soon.

Prolly late but who likes JRAD?
Been listening to them heavy for a few weeks and man I'm digging them hard

Oh, hai Bill. I hope you are well, brother.

JRAD is incredible. High energy, super tight playing, massive jams, easily my favorite dead cover band ever. Ive seen em a few times.

That said, I don’t really spazz out about em like I did a couple years ago. It’s a great show, they do their thing, but it won’t last much longer. I think DSO has more staying power and all the guys in JRAD will eventually want to do more of their own thing (they already do, but I could see them getting burned out on JRAD). Got big fast and rightfully so. I think there was a good hour or so while I was really spun on mushrooms when I thought they were better than the dead.

I can’t say I’ve listened to any dead cover band much when it’s not in a live setting. Great band though.

Yoo cs good to see ya

Super duper high energy! And they go into these little parts that basically sound like post rock dead to me lol

Summer tour is canceled tho, was gonna see wolf bros jrad and dead and corporation but now I'm stuck on the couch every weekend watching the free streams

Oh, hai Bill. I hope you are well, brother.

JRAD is incredible. High energy, super tight playing, massive jams, easily my favorite dead cover band ever. Ive seen em a few times.

That said, I don’t really spazz out about em like I did a couple years ago. It’s a great show, they do their thing, but it won’t last much longer. I think DSO has more staying power and all the guys in JRAD will eventually want to do more of their own thing (they already do, but I could see them getting burned out on JRAD). Got big fast and rightfully so. I think there was a good hour or so while I was really spun on mushrooms when I thought they were better than the dead.

I can’t say I’ve listened to any dead cover band much when it’s not in a live setting. Great band though.
I love JRAD and DSO equally. They are very different but both are best at what they do.
JRAD's interpretation is more interesting and psychedelic. The players are top notch and take the songs much farther out than just about any band playing this music. They have two guys that rip at lead guitar, you cant beat that.
But DSO feels like home. So true to the original. I often get goosebumps and tears come to my eyes during DSO shows (yes, i probably did take some LSD). They feel like a family reunion. I miss the days of John K on lead but the current line up is fantastic as well.