NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

ive been a deadhead since i first started getting into music and "other" things, and there music has inspired me a lot. Phil leash is one of my favourite bassists.

HAIGHT ASHBURY IS ASWOME!

I live in australia, and went there last year it was so cool. I saw the house that they lived in and the jefferson airplane house. It was the first time ive ever been in an ameba music store, we have nothing that big in queensland. Lots of other cool stores aswell.

Plus this black homeless guy, said he was jewish and needed money to put him though college, hillarious.

But the bus ride to haight ashbury was well an "experience in its self", if you know what i mean. This lady got on and she stunk of shit, another lady was talking about how she got shot in a drive-by, these two dudes were talking about gangs in oakland. there were a lot of weird people on the bus and the bus driver was an absolute dickhead

Last edited:
well, lately ive been listening to like 12.4.79, 20.3.70, and some others

pretty good, i cant find anywhere to dled them, only stream though, and torrents not working :X

I just started reading the oral biography about Jerry called Darkstar its pretty interesting...

Listening to some Spanish Jam coming out of Dark Star from 6-23-74 its a killer version.

gotta love '72-'74 some of the greatest years for the dead

(trying to keep this shit off the second page)

as we road out to fanerio, as we road out to fanerio,
our captain fell in love with a lady like a dove,
and they called her by name, pretty Peggy-O

^I neglected that song for absolutley ages and then I sat down and had a good listen to it one day and I have loved it ever since, it's brilliant. There are so many class live recordings of it.

some of the best live recordings i've heard were some Eyes of the World from '74, Keith and Jerry are fucking nuts during the jamming at the end.

These are the lyrics for 'Brokedown Palace"- and it sums up where I'm at right now, today:

Fare you well, my honey, fare you well my only true one.
All the birds that were singing are flown, except you alone.

Going to leave this brokedown palace,
On my hand and knees, I will roll, roll, roll.
Make myself a bed in the waterside,
In my time, I will roll, roll roll.

In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

River going to take me, sing sweet and sleepy,
Sing me sweet and sleepy all the way back home.
Its a far gone lullaby, sung many years ago.
Mama, mama many worlds Ive come since I first left home.

Goin home, goin home, by the riverside I will rest my bones,

Going to plant a weeping willow,
On the banks green edge it will grow, grow, grow.
Sing a lullaby beside the water,
Lovers come and go, the river roll, roll, roll.

Fare you well, fare you well, I love you more than words can tell,

I've loved the Dead ever since I first heard them... I'm taking a trip down to Long Beach, CA.. beginning of August.. There's a great band.. Cubensis.. which plays in the So Cal area.. and I've been dying to hear them again.. www.cubensis.org I do admit there's nothing like a Dead show.. but since Jerry's gone.. I have to take it where I can get it.. btw.. does anyone remember wbs.com in like '95 or so? used to chat in the Grateful Dead room..

I <3 the song Casey Jones

Grateful Dead are fucking amazing. we used to have a bong with the bears on it that we called "The Grateful"

Great band did anyone else read about them and there connection with stanley owsley in Rolling Stone a few weeks ago it was a really interesting article.

He used to make the medicine for the Acid Tests; and the Dead were the house band for those shindigs. Read the Electric Koolaid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe- awesome book.

:\ I didn't get to read that article about Owlsley, but I know about his connection with the Merry Pranksters and the Grateful Dead in the early days.
The Electric Kool Aid Acid Tests must have been so mind-expanding and mind-blowing at the time!

I miss Jerry.:)

I really wish i was around to see the Dead, damn that would of been great, or should i say, 'grate'[haha, get it?]. But, seriously now, i love them. I do admit i havent listened to all of they're music but still i dig what i have heard of them and what they were about.

drew345 said:
Great band did anyone else read about them and there connection with stanley owsley in Rolling Stone a few weeks ago it was a really interesting article.

If you liked that article, pick up Living With The Dead by Rock Scully.